• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do yuo think?

• Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.

Votes: 101 6.0%
  • No, they should judge the game by its own merits.

Votes: 1,571 93.9%

• Total voters

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i'm sorry, wut? Excuse me?

tenor.gif

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to write something else but I don't want to risk it. I'll just say I overwhelmingly disagree.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
On the one hand- a virus that turns people and animals into zombies and is transmitted violently (usually via biting). leads to depopulated cities. Leads to breakdown of society as we know it.

On the other hand: a strain of cold virus that leads cities to be (largely) locked down in order to minimize and contain infection, but allows society to continue functioning.

We're comparing apples and grenades here....

Obviously, my answer is no. As much as people wanna extrapolate doomsday scenarios, this is not an extinction event going on.

Oct 30, 2017
fuck
no

Should Madden 21 be rated differently because the NFL season was delayed?
Should the next sci-fi game be rated differently because we now have a Space Force?
Should Animal Cross have been reviewed differently because no one is practicing social distancing?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers can take anything they want into account when reviewing a game, including a tone-deaf release date. Why not?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Do EiC's review games?

I like Kat. She's a great journalist and I love her on podcasts, but I disagree with this. We can disagree without being disagreeable.
I don't know the answer to that.
Unless she's being pressured to review the game, why not delay the review? or hand it to someone on the team that can separate their feelings with what's happening in real life.

Either way it sucks for reviewers to be put in that situation, I hope the devs aren't punished for something they have no control over.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Hey lemme know if a reviewer doesn't judge a game on its own merits, so I can block them.

What the fuck is this thread lol.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
should effect or can effect? reviewers won't have a choice but to review the game in their current state of minds.
This. Thread feels facetious.

How is this thread a backfire? You do realize I'm arguing for the 'no' option, right? Although I must say, I didn't think it would be that one-sided. More something like 80-20.

I wonder if RE3 reviews come out and mention the real world pandemic how people will react.
Of course you are, it's blatantly obvious from the way you phrased the question.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
They are subjective, but objectivity is not simply a a facade. It's something a professional reviewer should strive for in many ways.
I don't agree with that, but you can ignore the last part of my comment if you want.

The question is this: if a reviewer feels that COVID-19 affected their experience of the game, do you think they should lie and say that they didn't?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My mother's a healthcare worker. My father's a long-haul truck driver.

They continue going to work everyday.

I work from home instead of the office, but I still have deadlines. Same applies to most of my friends- from legal workers, to industrial mechanics, to regional sales directors.

Yes, the lockdown is a thing. Yes, there are limits on what we can do. But it's not the Apocalypse, and we're not all gonna die anytime soon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
How is this thread a backfire? You do realize I'm arguing for the 'no' option, right? Although I must say, I didn't think it would be that one-sided. More something like 80-20.

I wonder if RE3 reviews come out and mention the real world pandemic how people will react.
There will probably be a couple reviews that mention it as a passby comment, but it won't do anything to their reviews at all.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I willing to bet at least one reviewer will. Some of the hot takes in Animal Crossing reviews makes me believe that.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
what the fuck is wrong with you people and some of these Threads?!

Jesus... next will be "Do you think CAPCOM should slash the Launch bonus of the people that worked on RE3 due to Covid 19?"

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be weird not to have some slightly acknowledge that this game came out at an unfortunate time, but anyone who makes a serious connection is writing out of their ass. The connections are some very surface level shallow shit and I feel like anyone who wants to delve into their experience with covid 19 to draw clicks to their RE3 review should be given a large amount of side eye.

Let's not forget, RE3 is already a game that is available to the public, the REmake isn't releasing to exploit a pandemic, and if your review does more than a slight mention of it or docks points or some shit. You the reviewer are the one exploiting covid 19 for your own gain. Hopefully those disgusting folks out there expose themselves and they lose a massive chunk of credibility.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have never made the connection between RE3 and COVID ever. I don't even know how they are related

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is wrong with you people and some of these Threads?!

Jesus... next will be "Do you think CAPCOM should slash the Launch bonus of the people that worked on RE3 due to Covid 19?"
I'm surprised re3 is the one getting these more than tlou2 tbh. Yea re3 is a virus and tlou is a fungus, but everything in tlou2 is "slightly" more applicable. Not saying tlou2 should at all either, but yea.

Mar 29, 2018
That's why I used should.

The answer to can if affect is obivous: yes. That's what I meant when I said it's outside people's control. But then, if you're paid to review a game, I think you should try to manage this.
Reviews aren't objective. Nothing is objective. Objectivity doesn't exist.

If the individual reviewer's perspective means they feel iffy about anything relating to viruses, then that will be reflected in the review, even if they don't use those words/that line of rhetoric.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Should GTA reviews be affected because crime is bad, or CoD reviews because war is bad?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Honestly, both ways of reviewing a game is fine. Let the reviewer decide.

No such thing as an objective review anyways. After all don't our personal experiences affect the way we view everything in life.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think it would be weird not to have some slightly acknowledge that this game came out at an unfortunate time, but anyone who makes a serious connection is writing out of their ass. The connections are some very surface level shallow shit and I feel like anyone who wants to delve into their experience with covid 19 to draw clicks to their RE3 review should be given a large amount of side eye.

Let's not forget, RE3 is already a game that is available to the public, the REmake isn't releasing to exploit a pandemic, and if your review does more than a slight mention of it or docks points or some shit. You the reviewer are the one exploiting covid 19 for your own gain. Hopefully those disgusting folks out there expose themselves and they lose a massive chunk of credibility.
Entertainment always reflects the current state of the world. It's no coincidence Animal Crossing is blowing up massively now as the ideal utopian escapism, most likely scored higher than it would otherwise too. Grim dystopian outlooks will be less popular and reviewers most likely will feel extra trepidation and less enjoyment playing the game. Whether it affects the score is another matter, but it very well could. Blustering right wing games score lower in the current times too. Duke Nukem Forever found itself in world that had moved on, and that only became stronger after Trump. It's nonsensical to think the state of the world bears no relationship to the lived experience of entertainment.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, just like Animal Crossing should have had its scores slashed by half for reminding people of things like chilling outside and meetings friends. They might feel particularly sensitive to that.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Reviews aren't objective. Nothing is objective. Objectivity doesn't exist.

If the individual reviewer's perspective means they feel iffy about anything relating to viruses, then that will be reflected in the review, even if they don't use those words/that line of rhetoric.

I mentioned that in the OP. But I also think there are more elaborate and significant ways to look into a game. In simple terms, I think there are good reviews and bad reviews.

Honestly, both ways of reviewing a game is fine. Let the reviewer decide.

No such thing as an objective review anyways. After all don't our personal experiences affect the way we view everything in life.

I think one should be considered a review, and the other something else. If someone has a bad experience with RE3 because of the current climate shouldn't lend itself to the argument that RE3 is a good or bad game. The same is true for someone having a particular good time with it.

Mar 29, 2018
www.resetera.com

Should Capcom Delay the RE3 Remake due to the Pandemic?

Given how the reaction has been to the pandemic worldwide with such devastation to lives around the world and what the game represents (a violent virus outbreak that destroys humanity) should Capcom delay it? What do you think? Update: Glad to see an overwhelming majority know that it is fine...

The numbers don't lie. Thousands don't care. This poll will show the same. Yet reviewed will pander and think we care and want this rhetoric in reviews.

It is as weak a point as saying a game is too violent or saying military shooters shouldn't represent events that happen daily.
People arent dumb. Games are games , its not real life.
It's not as simple as that, though. Perhaps a reviewer's grandmother just died from coronavirus. They sit down and begin playing R3make to review it. Of course imagery or symbolism relating to viral outbreaks and death is not gonna go down well.

Obviously that example is pretty extreme, but it goes for everything right now. People being unemployed due to the virus to people having health anxiety and fear due to it, etc etc.

Art isn't some isolated product you can hold in objectivity. Its power is in how humans react to it, and human minds exist in a coagulate of politics, news, emotions, etc.

Just like how art isn't created in a vacuum - the creators' minds also exist in a coagulate of politics, news, emotions, etc.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think one should be considered a review, and the other something else. If someone has a bad experience with RE3 because of the current climate shouldn't lend itself to the argument that RE3 is a good or bad game. The same is true for someone having a particular good time with it.
A. Game. Is. Not. A. Hardware. Appliance.

It is an experiential system where a dialogue happens between the game creators and the player, and both bring outside references and prior experiences into the performative play space.