• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do yuo think?

• Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.

Votes: 101 6.0%
  • No, they should judge the game by its own merits.

Votes: 1,571 93.9%

• Total voters

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The only difference the current pandemic would make is how I view the civilian characters actions within the game.

For example:

The civies are hiding on the train in the demo. This is bad, because we now know that in real life they would all refuse to get off the streets regardless of how bad it gets.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect many reviewers to dock points due to COVID-19. It's still early days, so we're not even close to seeing the height of this disaster. Also, Resident Evil is pretty campy stuff, so I don't think many reviewers will take it too seriously when it comes to comparing it to our current situation.

Now, The Last of Us Pt. II...that may be a different situation. The severity and death toll of the pandemic will be much higher when that game launches. It's also a much darker, more serious take on a viral outbreak compared to RE3. I think a number of reviewers are going to take COVID-19 into account when reviewing it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This, it's hypocritical to advocate for games to be judged based on the current political climate and just yearly ignore the biggest offenders and tropes we see in western entertainment.

Resident Evil 3 of all things should not be taken seriously, it's a work of fiction that is set in a world somewhat similar to ours but filled with dumb logic.
I don't think it's hypocritical, people can criticise Call of Duty for politics if they want or more fantasy or lighter games, if they have that intepretation.

It is however true that it's more for us, because of these times we may be even reflecting on our forms of fantasy and escapism, because we've never experienced such this before.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
It all depends on the delineation of the subjective experiential versus the ontological objective. How can scientists determine the innate realness of a shade of "color" or the immutable truth of a Metacritic score? How about my hand, is that real?

What is "time"?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No that's stupid. At most reviewers will say something like "In current times it's nice to have an outbreak to look forward to" ir some shit but it's not gonna affect scores nor should it.

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't understand a very simple fact that making objective statements about how a pandemic will make X game worse for 100% of everyone who plays is is bad, then you are a lost cause. That is by definition, bad writing.

I shouldn't have to explain this. It's very simple stuff.

Nah I read that sentence and see if I feel the same, if I don't I don't agree with it and move on, I don't sit here and cry how it's a bad review because that reviewer frames a subjective statement as objective. You're framing your opinions on how a review should be written as objective and not subjective as well. The only lost cause here is you.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The one review for Half Life: Alyx claimed that it was too stressful because of social distancing and that Animal Crossing is the way to go instead.
Most people who have VR buy it to be socially distanced anyway just sayin
You don't see how a game about a viris outbreak can have anything to do with a critics' experience of a real life virus outbreak? They're obviously not one to one virus outbreaks, and not all critics will consider it but I think anyone can see some of the parallels...
No because making it about them is a bit pathetic, like how are they gonna b*tch about a video game in their $1000 pc while there are people who are actually in danger of it and their last concern is a resident evil sequel.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
If someone does then I'll for sure know that that reviewer is unprofessional. Like, seriously, what the fuck?

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Most people who have VR buy it to be socially distanced anyway just sayin

No because making it about them is a bit pathetic, like how are they gonna b*tch about a video game in their $1000 pc while there are people who are actually in danger of it and their last concern is a resident evil sequel.
What do you think a review is? It's the opinion of the person reviewing it so along with the game yes, it is about them...

Last edited:

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
A review score isn't some mathematical reflection of quality. It doesn't even reflect the quality of a game. It's a reflection of that person's experience with a game at that time

The same person can review the same game at two different times in their life and give it two completely different scores. The game didn't change; their experience with it did.

That's the same reason why movies are reappraised. The context and lens through which a film is viewed changes with time. Same film, same person, different impressions.

Thanks, that's interesting. I always feel subjective experience is a much bigger part of how you react to a movie compared to a game.

Maybe because gameplay and mechanics are what makes a game good or bad to me and social/cultural/political commentary doesn't really factor into whether I enjoyed it or not, though it would do for a movie.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a bad review but I also think people shouldn't be forced to review a game they aren't in the mood for as that will inevitably affect their enjoyment of the game overall. The review opens up with the reviewer flat out saying he wished he didn't have to play the game in this particular moment.

Of course, if Metacritic wasn't a thing no one would care about that review but I also think a reviewer that goes into a review dreading having to play the game they are reviewing is something that should be avoided as much as possible.

They shouldn't have to review a game they're not in the mood for, but if they do review it and give me a different perspective, oh well. I'm not gonna whine about it and call it bad because they felt differently about something because of a real world situation. People love the numbers too much and in the end of it all that's what people had the most issue with, that it gave a game an 8.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are merely one person's feelings and opinions. If it affects their experience then of course they should. Same goes for any review of any game ever.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Rather than "should" I'd say it would/will. Events in the world are going to affect how you experience your life (including videogames and other type of media)

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
What's with some people on here wanting to tie COVID-19 with Resident Evil 3? Obviously it shouldn't and won't have any bearing on reviews.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I voted for the latter option, but I think if the current circumstances affect your view of the game that is something you should disclose.

Mad Matt

Dec 12, 2019
I'm honestly not sure what the point of this thread is. The answer is a resounding "No" and it doesn't appear like the question poses any meaningful discussion.

I apologize for sounding harsh, but it might be even worse than the thread asking if the game should be delayed due to the coronavirus. Of course it shouldn't.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for the latter option, but I think if the current circumstances affect your view of the game that is something you should disclose.
Why are people treating this like it's a reviewer needing to disclose a close friendship with the developer or something? This isn't an ethics thing or some hush-hush under-the-table influence threatening the sanctity of a review score

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, if it's hitting to close to home they should just let someone else review it or review it on another day.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a few people are desperate to create a controversy over nothing.

Gonna happen with The Last of Us as well.

There have already been multiple threads about it before the RE3 threads

www.resetera.com

So, about The Last of Us Part II...

...Do you think the proliferation of COVID-19 might cause Naughty Dog/Sony to withhold the release of the game, seeing as how its subject matter deals with the spread of a deadly disease? Do you think the release of this game is one of those "not the right place, not the right time" situations...
www.resetera.com

If The Last of Us Part II is delayed because of COVID-19, it should release alongside the PS5.

If the coronavirus causes another delay for The Last of Us Part II, the smart move would be to delay the game and spend that extra time optimizing it for the PS5. We obviously don't know what the launch lineup looks like just yet, but having arguably one of their biggest first-party games ever...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a few people are desperate to create a controversy over nothing.

Gonna happen with The Last of Us as well.
It's not a controversy; it's just human nature and the reality of experiencing media. Your personal experiences, the times and culture you live in, influence your impressions and criticisms, how stuff resonates (or doesn't).

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it since Resident Evil doesn't spend much time on the "human" side of the story..they brush past it and focus on the zombies, biological weapons and the evil corporation that engineered it all.

However, I could see the TLOU putting people off because its the opposite. Its very focused on telling a more emotional human story about people trying to survive each other.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my point is you don't know or can't speak to what people want out of their entertainment, or what perspectives they bring to how they experience said entertainment. Not only is it not "fair to say" what you think "most" people are looking for with RE3, it's wholly useless.
I'm fine with you feeling that way. However, that's the whole point of this thread. We're discuss if we think other people will react/think/feel a certain way about something given current circumstances. Now, we're discussing hypothetically how some will feel about how others could hypothetically feel about something else. We can just cut it here if you like, this is a very odd discussion.

I think the pertinent part of that quote given the original question would be " If you asked those people their opinion of that movie do you think it wouldn't be colored by the current, real life crisis?"

which, going by the numerous new reviews and essays of the film within the last month or so, the answer is apparent.

Whether or not people look to reviews for escapism or resonating impressions or whatnot is a whole secondary discussion from whether current experience will impact how one views and relates to a game/movie/etc
To the last paragraph, I realize that, and I just wrote about it (in this soon to be post) to the person I was replying to before you.

Perhaps I just took it differently than others. I can see drawing a similarity, but it really starts and ends there as "virus" is all they have in common. If it greatly impacts their opinion of the game in a negative way, I personally feel that's ridiculous. People are entitled to their feelings, but sometimes things are just so out there it's hard empathize/understand. Maybe I'm way off base. Wouldn't be the first time.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Am I saying that it's not their opinion? Just seems like a bit of reach to me, maybe next time I review Dr.Mario I should mention my mom's surgery.
Obviously not.

Dr. Mario isn't about surgery. Resident Evil 3 is about a few things but one of the major ones is a virus outbreak, something that is happening right now.

Again, I'm not saying that I'd necessarily agree with this hypothetical position. I just think it's completely fine and relevant if a reviewer brings it up as an issue they had that affected their experience.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with you feeling that way. However, that's the whole point of this thread. We're discuss if we think other people will react/think/feel a certain way about something given current circumstances. Now, we're discussing hypothetically how some will feel about how others could hypothetically feel about something else. We can just cut it here if you like, this is a very odd discussion.

The fact that a discussion needs to be had about what other people might feel feel/think/react with regards to their experience with a game Isn't the problem. The problem is people thinking they can dictate what those people are allowed to feel/think/react when they give their opinion on a game. That is the absurd part. And yes it's very odd that a discussion of this nature even has to exist, yet here we are.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Obviously not.

Dr. Mario isn't about surgery. Resident Evil 3 is about a few things but one of the major ones is a virus outbreak, something that is happening right now.

Again, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this hypothetical position. I just think it's completely fine and relevant if a reviewer brings it up as an issue they had that affected their experience.
Why not? Her doctor's name was Mario.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the questions that have been asked on the gaming side of the forum have been really bad lately. As in there is an obvious answer.
I guess this is a symptom of the quarantine.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Am I saying that it's not their opinion? Just seems like a bit of reach to me, maybe next time I review Dr.Mario I should mention my mom's surgery.
If that background was a factor in why the game (positively or negatively) resonated with you, you absolutely should mention it and how that experience heightened or worsened the game for you

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh OP your poll asks a different question to your first post. I think the question in the post is interesting, but unfortunately most people are only responding to the poll.

And a lot of those posters are arguing against themselves. "Game reviews should be objective... so reviewers SHOULDN'T consider how outside influences might have impacted their perception of the game" 🤦‍♂️ This answer misses the point the OP laid out. The current situation could make some reviewers enjoy the game less (seems doubtful to me but that's the premise of the thread). For the reviews to be as objective as possible, the reviewer would need to consider that impact to attempt to remove the influence it has on their feelings toward the game.

To state it more clearly: this situation might make reviewers enjoy the game less if it hits too close to home. To be as objective as possible, should they therefore adjust their scores upwards to account for this outside influence, and attempt to get the "objective" "true" scoring for the game (whatever that means).

For my own answer... The premise itself feels a little far fetched to me. I can't really imagine someone emotionally linking this game with the current pandemic. But, if we imagine that happening, then I guess... No, they shouldn't adjust the score/review. I think the strive to be "objective" is flawed in itself, and a review can only be useful if it accurately represents a person's experience with the game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Since this thread was born from the combination of an upcoming game involving a virus changing society and also a recent review of Half-Life:Alyx that still has some people clearly bent out of shape and unable to cope with an 8/10, I'll post this:

I don't think any professional reviewer is going to ratchet the score lower because of COVID-19. I also think the reviewers are well within their right to discuss how playing this game during the COVID-19 affected their overall enjoyment of playing the game. The reviewer's overall enjoyment can also be independent of how they critically *score* the game as well. I don't think any reviewer out there will let COVID-19 affect the critical score, and I'm not going to act like some dumbass warrior when a handful of them mention that it felt eerie to review a virus outbreak game during a virus outbreak.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people immediately take this as having a negative influence?

What if the current situation made Resident Evil 3 resonate with a reviewer more? Maybe the parallels make the scenarios on the street feel more tense, the apocalyptic atmosphere seem more palpable

Are all the "No" voters going to be against that higher score?

If im suicidal and watch a movie with suicide in it I dont shit on it because it made me feel bad if its well made.
case in point. Why is the assumption that the impact will be a negative one? What if that movie affected you greatly and made you feel it was an emotionally-touching masterpiece because you related with the protagonist?

Like more than a few Invisible Man reviews/impressions have related how their experience with abuse made the film even more intense and gripping

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
If that background was a factor in why the game (positively or negatively) resonated with you, you absolutely should mention it and how that experience heightened or worsened the game for you
I'm all for reviewers bringing the real world into their reviews but I personally draw the line at topics which have barely any relation to any theme or situation exhibited in the game. This example would be pushing it massively.