• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the PS5's launch be as successful as the PS4 in terms of sales WW?

• Yes, The PS5 will sell as many units as the PS4 launches aligned.

• No, I don't think it will have as successful a launch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Something that I've really been thinking about over the last few months. The PS4 was an absolute behemoth in sales, in terms of launch sales numbers. They had many factors siding with, them such as no Nintendo console to compete with and a colossal PR mess from Microsoft, which they benefited from massively. Couple this with the most powerful console and 1080p or bust conversation and the PS4 was a certified hit. Selling out worldwide with sales unseen by nearly any other console.

Do you think Sony can pull this off again? I just can't see it personally. It would take some serious luck for the stars to align like that again. What do people think?

I feel like PC is bigger than ever and MS and Nintendo have their stuff together.

What is everyone's thoughts, and why?

And if they won't make it, how close do you think it will be to the PS4 and what will Sony consider a success?

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
It all has to do with messaging leading up to the launch as well as their launch lineup. Won't really be able to get a feel for anything until next summer at the earliest imo

Also, a big reason for their success last launch was being the cheaper console as well as first to the market.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying no solely due to the likely global economy when it launches being mediocre or worse.

I think the PC market won't impact PS4 sales, a better Microsoft system will, but it might be too late for Microsoft this time,

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are consistently breaking software records so sure, but it'll likely depend on supply more than anything though.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
MS will do much better than before and it's going to have an impact in US and maybe UK the rest is how good value will Sony have at launch. Overall I will be suprised if PS5 matches PS4 sales over time.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there will be as big a difference between the PS5 and XB2 as there was this generation, I still think it will be very successful.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 early success was a result of great leadership and competition at xbox and nintendo just stumbling at every chance they had.

Sony doesnt have those 2 going into next gen. Its going to be a closer playing field.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think so, yea. With BC, and a focus on transitioning PS4 owners, both at launch and later on, I expect the PS5 to be even more dominant vs the competition compared to the PS4.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think about what's going to get a console selling 200m. I know it sounds utterly outlandish, but I don't want to see console gaming dying, but rather becoming a mass global cultural staple. Haha

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Impossible to tell now withouts knowning price, key features, launch line up and competition plans. It' s just a prediction for fun.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It will be successful but not as big as PS4 launch year. Not for the reasons outlined in OP though. Their won't be as much pent up demand due to this gen being shorter than last, mid gen refreshes and the price being higher than $399.

Although I will say launch month will probably be bigger just due better supply intially.

Edit:. I see the revisionist history of X1 started again. It was the second biggest launch ever and vastly outsold PS4 during holiday 2014 in the US. It in no way got off to a bad start.

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
MS will do much better than before and it's going to have an impact in US and maybe UK the rest is how good value will Sony have at launch. Overall I will be suprised if PS5 matches PS4 sales over time.

This is how I feel, If MS brings it and nintendo have an updated switch model plus the switch really hitting it's stride with software the PS5 will struggle to come close to the PS4's launch.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation - Too big to fail.

The worldwide brand is just too strong. Soon, three out of four of their home consoles will have sold over 100 million. And the other sold close to 90 million. The proof is in the pudding.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I really think about what's going to get a console selling 200m. I know it sounds utterly outlandish, but I don't want to see console gaming dying, but rather becoming a mass global cultural staple. Haha
It would take someone blowing up in somewhere like India or China as well as doing very well elsewhere, but if/when India or China get cracked all records will be smashed imo.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
launch? betting on a recession/economic downturn and a higher price tag, i'd say it'll come in slightly lower

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Cerny's interview about backwards compatibility and physical distribution is a strong incitement to every retailers.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The Playstation brand is incredibly strong world wide and having backwards compatibility is icing on the cake. I mean 3 out 4 consoles will now have sold over 100 million units

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think so, yea. With BC, and a focus on transitioning PS4 owners, both at launch and later on, I expect the PS5 to be even more dominant vs the competition compared to the PS4.

This I can totally get with, with the right software and a great plan for migrating current owners they could really launch strong out of the gate. BC is important and If I can walk in day one knowing all my games will work, trade in my pro etc. I havea PSVR so I could be won over. It's very exciting times.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
At this time with the info we have, I am 50-50 but I voted no because I expect the price to be higher at 499. With streaming as an option and stronger competition it may not be as successful in terms of units sold. It is possible it could be more profitable than PS4 with digital becoming the focus and higher subscription tiers for psplus and bigger focus on psnow. If they pull off ps1-PS4 Bc and maybe even psp/psv then that could be huge game changer as well

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is in a stronger position and for now there is the chance they don't hit the $399 price point which is key so i voted no for now. It may change if they hit that price point

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I think as long as they dont mess up the messaging and provide compelling games then the PS5 will storm out the blocks.

Their current standing is very high amongst gamers and they have rarely put a step out of line

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
PS4 already convinced people that ''PlayStation'' is something they can look forward to.

Unless they fucked up the marketing as bad as Xbone did back in 2013 I doubt it's going to be a fail.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
No, I don't think.
PS5 Sell Well, but we don't know if he reach 150M like PS2
I think PS5 sell like PS3.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Launch they would sell as much as they can make, remember that even the X1 with all the negativity still sold amazing at launch. First year is the true test.

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
At this time with the info we have, I am 50-50 but I voted no because I expect the price to be higher at 499. With streaming as an option and stronger competition it may not be as successful in terms of units sold. It is possible it could be more profitable than PS4 with digital becoming the focus and higher subscription tiers for psplus and bigger focus on psnow. If they pull off ps1-PS4 Bc and maybe even psp/psv then that could be huge game changer as well

Great point, with the streaming platforms launching we have never seen such a disruptive market.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Easily

Gaming is now more popular than ever and the PlayStation brand is arguably the strongest it ever been

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Like PS4, they are going to sell everything they have manufactured (launch + a few months after). So it will depend of how many PS5 they'll be able to make for launch.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. More people will likely go with Xbox this time around.
What is stopping people from doing that now? MS has the most powerful console with the X and also have the cheapest price point yet they are consistently in 3rd place every month even in the U.S and WW is even worse. Brand strength is a huge factor.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE

All this coupled with good marketing, focus on games (quality exclusives & 3rd party games) and PS5 being an exciting hardware update it'll be an attractive proposition for mainstream consumers worldwide.