• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think the PS5's launch be as successful as the PS4 in terms of sales WW?

• Yes, The PS5 will sell as many units as the PS4 launches aligned.

• No, I don't think it will have as successful a launch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
This was a bad gen to lose, digital this gen is huge and alot people won't be letting go of their digital purchases. I don't see anything ms can do to switch over ps4 owners, gamepass is nothing special sony could easily come out with something better than gamepass with their far better content. I think the ps5 will do just as well as PS4 this gen.
you could claim the same every gen. only difference now is that people cant trade their digital games towards a new console. or you believe people physical games magically got ghosted whenever they decided to choose a new console?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're going to supply a lot more consoles at launch, they're going to be much better prepared post launch also. We're hopefully gonna see games come earlier, PS4 had a weak line up until Bloodborne and was selling well at $399, at $499 we might see the people willing to pay that price exhausted sooner so killer apps in Year 1 is gonna be important to keep the momentum. Sony has big games (10 million sellers) this gen and the sequels will be hotly anticipated, they're also gonna partner with Bungie for Destiny 3.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming is much more mainstream now then when PS4 released. Only difference I see it not managing the same success are streaming services.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Tough to say.

1. If the price isn't the same, you can't compare.
2. People are not craving new consoles as much.
3. Playstation as a brand is stronger than it was by the end of PS3 cycle, so it can mitigate point number 2.
4. Exclusives will be a big part. Breath of the Wild was on Wii U, but it helped the Switch a lot. Maybe Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding do the same. And they are bigger than Knack or Killzone, even if cross-gen.

In the end, I think price is the key. If it costs 499, it will sell less. If it's 399, there's a chance it will beat PS4's first year.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. The PS5 had a lot of goodwill because of bad Microsoft botched the reveal of the Xbox One. On top of that, the higher price point to me seems like a hard sell for a lot of regular people.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
you could claim the same every gen. only difference now is that people cant trade their digital games towards a new console. or you believe people physical games magically got ghosted whenever they decided to choose a new console?

Agreed, they're aren't going to get rid of a console everytime they get a new console. There are tones of people who will bought a PS4 and will buy an Xbox to play next gen games.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Probably not. The PS5 had a lot of goodwill because of bad Microsoft botched the reveal of the Xbox One. On top of that, the higher price point to me seems like a hard sell for a lot of regular people.

you can maybe explain that away with their beating MS in the USA, but globally, Sony have always had the stronger performance be it last gen or the gen before.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
No. Not as much pent up demand from the previous gen. Lots of people still happy with this gen. MS would have to royally fuck up again with a higher price point and with them rumoured to have multiple tiers of consoles, I can't see that happening.

But in favour, I very competitive price point and some killer launch games could help. But all in all getting so many consoles out for launch is a tough ask.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
you can maybe explain that away with their beating MS in the USA, but globally, Sony have always had the stronger performance be it last gen or the gen before.
you can not just write off USA, cause USA is the biggest market (not counting China but consoles wise that is no-man land). so For Microsoft losing that market was a big hit and an big gain to PS4.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
To understand how bad really was PS4 vs Xbox, the same scenario but backwards (or close to it) would be:

XBTWO: Similar Specs and Output than PS5, Price Tag of 399$, Allows Xplay with PC/ Mobile/ Switch on all games.

PS5: Similar Specs and output than XBTWO, Price Tag of 500$ cause they are force bundling PSVR whether you like it or not, your online experience is also limited to only other PS5 users, and an spokeman person saying "if you want to play with everyone else, you should buy something else then"
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Also, its entire possible a shift can happen, Vidya is full of stories of tumbling giants. PS2 to PS3, Xb360 to XBONE, Wii to WiiU.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wasnt the launch sale of ps4 and x1 pretty equal ?? Ps5 will do better than that if Sony can keep it stocked .

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
No chance

From the sounds of things xbox will have a lower entry price, a higher-spec sku and vastly improved first party support

The switch will be also be cheaper, handheld capable, have better indie support have much better indies and first party support

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The things that lead to PS4's great launch were a combination of factors which I don't think will be replicated. There may be new things that come up that will help them have an advantage on Microsoft but unless Microsoft has learned absolutely nothing I doubt things will go like last time.

I have a concern that arrogant Sony is returning and I think that if I'm right about that it will have an impact on their early sales. Time, as always, will prove me wrong or right.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
you can not just write off USA, cause USA is the biggest market (not counting China but consoles wise that is no-man land). so For Microsoft losing that market was a big hit and an big gain to PS4.

I'm not writing off USA. Infact im saying that the USA is why Sony's brand is so strong. 360 was a unique situation where 360 became so dominant in the USA that it was beating PS3 by more than double by the end of the generation. Sony fucking up gave MS a window. As long as they never do what they did with PS3 again, they will never get beaten that badly in USA again, even if they lose top spot in MS's home territory. So that combined with their global strength means their sales will continue to be strong until consoles as a concept simply disappear

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Neither sony or ms had proper backwards compatibility at the beginning of this gen so it was a reset, nobody could play their digital or physical purchases on either ps3 or 360 so it was easy to switch over. That won't be the case next gen people will be able to play their games right out the gate and digital makes it alot harder as they won't be able to sell that to put towards games on their new console like with physical. Also services like ps+ are adding to alot of our backlogs and people will be relucant just drop all those digital games they have accumlated.

edryr

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
If we talk about US/UK only, i don't see sony doing better than last gen. With entry price xbox launching, i think it's MS that will do better.
But worldwide, xbox being totally irrelevant and non existent, i think sony, thanks to BC + psvr, will sell more launch aligned.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
If the next PS came out with God of War 2, a Last of Us 2 remaster and some other AAA exclusive I can see it outdoing MS's statistically likely weaker launch.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, my comment wasn't suggesting that Sony was weak internationally. It was reflecting on why the PS4 had a strong reception because of Microsoft's attitude with the Xbox One before launch. The comment on the price point still stands.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Neither sony or ms had proper backwards compatibility at the beginning of this gen so it was a reset, nobody could play their digital or physical purchases on either ps3 or 360 so it was easy to switch over. That won't be the case next gen people will be able to play their games right out the gate and digital makes it alot harder as they won't be able to sell that to put towards games on their new console like with physical. Also services like ps+ are adding to alot of our backlogs and people will be relucant just drop all those digital games they have accumlated.

Backwards is good and all, but is not some new unicorn, People have had access backwards in other consoles and other gens and also into transferring their digital purchases iirc and yet we have seen some exodus from time to time.

How I see it, Backwards is more a "By buying PS5 ill be able to also play those PS4 games that I missed" instead of "By buying PS5 ill be able to play those PS4 games that I already beat and have not touched since then"

Online services are also not a hardlock. you see people jumping on and off then.

Personally I dont understand why people is so latched to the idea of "OH MY OLD GAMES", like, every generation whenever someone decided to jump ship, they simply took their games and exchanged for credit towards the new console. If anything, by being digital, people lost that perk, so if they were to change consoles now those digital would be wasted, and if the line of logic then is more akin to people filling shackled to their old digital purchase then wanting to preserve it.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I voted no because of backwards compatibility strangely enough and the specs potentially being outdated by the time the launch happens. It may be more of an "too early to tell" due to Microsoft and Nintendo being better prepared. Microsoft did very well despite early perceptions.

Every thing talked about as a plus for the system can be a hindrance. BC is great but why get a PS5 when a PS4 would do the same thing? And how far does BC extend...does it include digital games or retail only? If it includes digital games, I would hope all I need is my PSN account, sign in and there I go. If it's physical games, would save progress carry over from PS4 through PS+ or would I start over? Also, I would hope GAAS titles like Destiny, The Division and Anthem would allow for anything earned to stay on your profile and would be there when you start on PS5.

A solid state hard drive is also great but currently a decent sized one is over $100. If Sony wants to keep the system under a certain price, they may skimp on the hard drive size. I could be wrong by the time launch comes.

I would have to see how the improved graphics card and ray tracing have an effect on games and hopefully Sony would have something that would take advantage of this (Horizon 2, Spider Man 2, GOW 5, next Infamous, new IPs, etc).

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Really hard to predict tbh. In ps4 average consumer still got everything they need and it won't be gone anytime soon (fortnite, overwatch ,rocket league, pubg) and more, so is there really any reason to upgrade If you barely afforded ps4?

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Backwards is good and all, but is not some new unicorn, People have had access backwards in other consoles and other gens and also into transferring their digital purchases iirc and yet we have seen some exodus from time to time.

How I see it, Backwards is more a "By buying PS5 ill be able to also play those PS4 games that I missed" instead of "By buying PS5 ill be able to play those PS4 games that I already beat and have not touched since then"

Online services are also not a hardlock. you see people jumping on and off then.

Personally I dont understand why people is so latched to the idea of "OH MY OLD GAMES", like, every generation whenever someone decided to jump ship, they simply took their games and exchanged for credit towards the new console. If anything, by being digital, people lost that perk, so if they were to change consoles now those digital would be wasted, and if the line of logic then is more akin to people filling shackled to their old digital purchase then wanting to preserve it.

The only gen that really had good backwards compatibility was ps1>ps2, the other gens were a mess. Those exodus were because of huge fuckups which i don't see happening this time round.

The problem is unless MS offers consumers something really amazing and better content they won't be dumping all their digital purchases to switch to xbox, it is one of many reasons they will stay where they are and i think it will be an important one alongside the less important stuff like friends lists and trophies. I don't see any shift in the mass market to what MS is doing right now it is either all hype on the internet or stuff like gamepass that is only really appealing to current xbox owners, and like i said before gamepass is nothing special sony can easily provide something like that with much better content. I'm sure there will be people switching both ways but i don't see it being a huge shift.

Nov 14, 2017
Doubt it. MS likely going to have exclusives at launch and powerful console. Sony always starts slowly with exclusives. PS4 took ages to have good first party games. They beat Microsoft at the start with the better price and better hardware, the choice was not difficult for the casuals.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Hard to say! But think it will do really well if they don't make any mistakes, however I also think that a lot of people will be ok with the ps4 for a while and won't be in a hurry to get one.

Also I think they will have a decent selection of next gen games/ cross gen (BC) to make the switch more appealing. Horizon 2/GOW 2 maybe being potentials.

Let's see :)
Ps4 is day 1 for me though, have had the base ps4 since day 1: about time for an upgrade

brendeth

Apr 3, 2019
AUS
Sony is promising a graphical powerhouse with the PS5, I don't think it's going to be cheap. Fully expecting it to be more expensive than the PS4 and that alone will kill huge launch numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
The things that lead to PS4's great launch were a combination of factors which I don't think will be replicated. There may be new things that come up that will help them have an advantage on Microsoft but unless Microsoft has learned absolutely nothing I doubt things will go like last time.
I'm not sure why people think MS has anything to do with the success of the PS5. Xbox screwed itself with Xbox One but even the 360 was outsold by the ps3. Even if Sony is arrogant with 3rd party games performing worse on a more expensive console, Xbox has no bearing on PS5s success.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people think MS has anything to do with the success of the PS5. Xbox screwed itself with Xbox One but even the 360 was outsold by the ps3. Even if Sony is arrogant with 3rd party games performing worse on a more expensive console, Xbox has no bearing on PS5s success.

The PS4 was very well received because of a combination of things. The reception to the Xbox One was very poor and the console was plagued with a lot of controversy regarding it's initial unveil, its plans to do away with disks, lock games to accounts and hurt the used-sales game, the inability or convoluted way of lending games, the piracy concerns which a lot of people had at the time, the intrusive (and in my opinion) exploitative micro-transactions of the majority of launch titles and the console's price.

Sony on the other hand had a much friendlier and easier to develop for platform (compared to the PS3) with, a solid lineup of games and demos, better specifications, an improved controller and cheaper cost. I believe that it was a combination of those things that led to them having such a strong lead and I find it disingenuous to believe that PS4's lead and early success had nothing to do with the mistakes, or bad timing, that Microsoft had.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
If Stadia really takes off this will hurt BOTH Sony and MS. This is some mighty selective reasoning.

Of course; a successful Stadia would hurt both PlayStation and Xbox (and Steam, Epic, arguably even Nintendo). But, as we are hypothesizing about PS5´s potential sales, I tried to neutralize those variables that don´t relate directly to Sony´s own ecosystem. I would add "and Microsoft" to me previous quote, because ultimately I agree with you.

Microsoft has generally been defeated by Google each time they competed in certain market and I do believe that Stadia will at least steal some of xCloud´s thunder. Still, IMHO the one that has the most to lose (because of technological, financial and demographic reasons) is Sony.

SpillRune

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
No, because a lot of PS4 gamers have bought gaming PC setups within the last 2-or-so years, and it's going to take a lot to get them back into consoles. Among the younger gaming (read fortnite) crowd consoles are for «noobs» now, and this attitude is gradually spreading to a larger, even younger audience.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt the launch sale of ps4 and x1 pretty equal ?? Ps5 will do better than that if Sony can keep it stocked .
For some reason this is overlooked and that's with a disastrous XBO reveal.

Like last gen Sony made so many mistakes and still wound up selling more than the 360.

I'll say it again....if the XBO launch, first year sales were great...I don't see how the PS5 could do worse than PS4. Only reason I will agree on is less pent up demand. Especially after the mid gen refreshes.

But, there will be a segment that aren't too happy the One X is most powerful, lol.

Will that segment of ppl be enough to match or pass the PS4 launch, first year sales?

Rejam

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, because a lot of PS4 gamers have bought gaming PC setups within the last 2-or-so years, and it's going to take a lot to get them back into consoles. Among the younger gaming (read fortnite) crowd consoles are for «noobs» now, and this attitude is gradually spreading to a larger, even younger audience.

Is this anecdotal, or is there data about this anywhere?
Doesn't really seem that way to me.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I think the console will do exceptionally well, but it should lag behind the PS4 because Microsoft would have to work really hard to fuck up as badly as they did with the launch of the One.