• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the PS5's launch be as successful as the PS4 in terms of sales WW?

• Yes, The PS5 will sell as many units as the PS4 launches aligned.

• No, I don't think it will have as successful a launch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 delivered. I'm inclined to think that it will take an epic fuckup from Sony not to repeat PS4 numbers at launch.

Oct 27, 2017
I see no compelling reason why not. Sony is so far ahead of the pack in terms of global mindshare I really see no realistic scenario where MS could supplant them.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
MS are going to be a lot more smart, savvy, efficient, better messaging, amazing exclusives, affordable hardware, more powerful, then what they had with the X1.

At least in the UK and NA and Latin America I think Sony lose ground at launch

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If even the PS3 can hit close to 90 million then PS5 will easily do 100+ just like the PS4 as long as it is competitively priced and has solid exclusives. It might lose ground to a resurgent xbox in the US but even that remains to be seen.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Still expect Sony to be dominant in mainland and Western Europe though. Spain, Italy,Germany etc.

Japan obviously as well

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
you've gotta figure MS is going to have a more compelling sell this go around compared to the Xbox One in 2013
of course, but Sony is also probably aware that mS won't back down and will have to counter to make the Ps5 as attractive as possible. and for the most part this year so far, Ps4 has still been successful so that momentum can still ride in their favor partly early next gen.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am not as pessimistic as most here, strategically, full BC means locking in a majority of their near 100 million buyers majority of whom have invested hundreds of dollar etc into the ecosystem.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This generation has been more about attrition for Sony. I think launch numbers wont be aligned and that by the third month their will be a stark comparison. Unless Momentum and mindshare swing heavily for XBOX (outside the context of forums like this) it'll be a blowout.

Then there's those launch exclusives...

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of course, but Sony is also probably aware that mS won't back down and will have to counter to make the Ps5 as attractive as possible. and for the most part this year so far, Ps4 has still been successful so that momentum can still ride in their favor partly early next gen.

sure, was just answering why more people would go with MS this go around. it'd be hard for them to anywhere but up compared to the Xbox One in 2013.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
sure, was just answering why more people would go with MS this go around. it'd be hard for them to anywhere but up compared to the Xbox One in 2013.
Exactly. Let's imagine that Sony does as great a job with messaging on the PS5 that they did with the PS4 at launch. And at the same time imagine that Microsoft actually does a good job with the next Xbox's launch. All things being equal, couldn't we expect some of those people that switched to the PS4 this gen to move to the Xbox next gen? Of course, not all things are equal (exclusives, services, cost, etc.), and Sony has done a great job the entire gen, but Microsoft has completely turned things around (aside from the high quality exclusives) so I think it'll be much more of a competition next gen.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it launches with great software, at a reasonable price, greatly enhanced features and maybe cheaper online services and access I think that it most definitely will.

Exactly. Let's imagine that Sony does as great a job with messaging on the PS5 that they did with the PS4 at launch. And at the same time imagine that Microsoft actually does a good job with the next Xbox's launch. All things being equal, couldn't we expect some of those people that switched to the PS4 this gen to move to the Xbox next gen? Of course, not all things are equal (exclusives, services, cost, etc.), and Sony has done a great job the entire gen, but Microsoft has completely turned things around (aside from the high quality exclusives) so I think it'll be much more of a competition next gen.
Wouldn't those very same people lose their purchases in the transition? They would and that itself would likely be enough to keep them within Sony's ecosystem unless PS5 is terrible in various aspects...which is unlikely.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
voted no, because i don't see MS fucking things up as hard as they did
competition will be much tighter

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, cause MS isn't going to bring out Don Mattrick and the always-online DRM bullshit like the last generation.

If anything, it could be arrogant Sony's return in some way. There is already some concern that if they go with a SSD solution, they'll want to go with proprietary storage for expansion that you'll need to buy from them. Turning the PS5 into the Vita.

As much as SSD as standard will be good, people will want to plug in their 3~5TB externals.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 launch games was killzone and knack? What came the year after? Really don't remember. The order 1886 ?

What if horizon zero dawn 2 is a launch game and god of war 2 is in a near launch window? And the last of us and dead stranding are cross gen with better versions on ps5 ?

Who in their right mind wouldn't want to buy it?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With what we currently know, in terms of likely balance power/ cost, exclusives to come, PS4 bc, etc?
Yes. I think it will do at least as good as the PS4, perhaps even build on it (with digital libraries carrying over).

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
yes, but I do think it will be tied to price. If they go past 399.00 it will impact post launch off holiday sales.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I think its gonna do a bit less than PS4 did around launch(~1 year), but catch up with strong midgen(second/third year).

After that i dont really know, since by then Streaming services+the infrastructure to support them might be strong enough actually affect console sales, while mobile gaming might have come far enough to even appeal to that ever crucial demographic that tends to buy consoles only late gen when its mature and cheap.

The reason for the lower start is imo PS5 will have much more competition, on several fronts.

In the traditional MS/XB markets(so mostly USA) they will have to face a much stronger XB in both message, marketing and focus.

In the regions that are usualy PS dominated, i think they will face the same issue apple is now facing, being that PS4/PS4 Pro are so good and popular that less people will upgrade like they did from PS3 to PS4.
I think there PS5 will compete with PS4 still being good for many, and even for the people that do want to upgrade from their base PS4, PS5 will have to compete with PS4 Pro.

Then there is Japan, where it is incredibly likely that PS5 will perform worse than PS4, even if it does better worldwide.
Japan has been moving away from Home consoles for a long time, and with Nintendo now having combined their Software that dominates the Japanese SW market( for example,of the combined million seller SW total 76% came from Nintendo/TPC and that does not even include SW on Nintendo systems that is not Nintendo/TPC published) with the portable Hardware that rules Japan, PS5 has much more competition than the PS4 had with the failure that was WiiU, and the 3DS that dominated HW, but didnt have the juice to run anything even remotely high end.

I hope PS5 can grow beyond PS4, but PS4 was really successfull this gen( and i say that as someone from a country that usualy has like 80% of sales being from Sony). From my personal experience, i have several friends and family members who dont really follow gaming that much, but have a ps4, who got the info about PS5 from me tell me that they dont really see the need for a PS5, since their PS4 is still great for them.

But i personally have gotten back into gaming a lot in the recent years, and i think i might pick up a PS5, even though my last home console(i dont really consider Switch one since it essentialy replaced my 3DS) was the XB360, so maybe there is indeed growth to be had for PS5.

Were heading into a recession so no. I wholly expect this to be a gen just like gen 7 where everyone struggles and no one sans Nintendo cracks 100 million.

Gen 7 had a recession, but was the most successfull generation for literally every console/handheld manufacturer.
MS sold more consoles than OG XB and XB1 combined.
Sony sold more consoles/handhelds combined than any other generation(unless PS4+Vita somehow sells another 50m before the generation ends).
Nintendo sold 250m devices, more than any manufacturer ever did(and probably will).

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

What does turned things around when looking at sales numbers the gap to Sony and even Nintendo only got bigger. Where is the group which is basically just waiting for to get a the Xbox?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on how you define launch. I think at the start, given how much goodwill Sony has generated, they can definitely exceed PS4 numbers (pending supply) while the competition also does extremely well. But I think over time, assuming the competition remains competitive we'll see different ceilings and things taper off faster.

We're approaching a very interesting time where all three competitors will be delivering products that are going to be very appealing to the consumer presumably without any major mistakes, but it's also a time where things don't reset just as easily as generations past. I'm curious to see what that all means going forward.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I voted no, but only for the alleged slightly higher price points. In terms of relative success, I say that it matches, but the actual number of units might be a smidge lower.

I also believe that there's a significant portion of the user base who are not tired of the current consoles.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Last time they had an open court to dunk with after MS messed up so badly. MS would have to mess up in a similar fashion for them to have the same success.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm predicting Sony prepares over 5M PS5's to be shipped for launch quarter. Depending on how manufacturing goes, maybe close to 6 million. They were already shipping 4.5M for PS4's launch, +5M Should be the expected launch sales for PS5.

2021 sales I have no clue on. Could be worse than PS4 because the next Xbox is a more popular console compared to the XB1.

PS4 was supply constrained until March 2014, I think PS5 won't have that problem in 2020.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. With a stellar launch lineup (like the supposed GT7) that looks like a serious leap from what we have now, good decisions with BC, a better online infraestructure...I have no doubt that it will.

Oct 25, 2017
What does turned things around when looking at sales numbers the gap to Sony and even Nintendo only got bigger. Where is the group which is basically just waiting for to get a the Xbox?

People referring to the MS turnaround always mean the perception turnaround and not sales. MS is largely in the same situation they were at the start of the generation sales wise, with some key bumps around the holiday time.

And that lack of broader appeal, that lack of appeal for Xbox outside of two or three countries, that's what makes it a tough journey for them next-gen.

Power doesn't mean anything when you only compete in a few markets.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It was a disaster. Don't try to revise history. The Xbox One was still more expensive than the PS4. It was still less powerful than the PS4. Those two items combined make it a disaster, even discounting the horrible messaging around always online prior to launch.

They won't make the same mistakes again this time.
Revise history? You seem to not get tired of being wrong all the time. The launch numbers are there and for the first 36 months the Xbox one was outpacing the Xbox 360 and was sticking very close to the PS4 in the US and UK or in the Xbox tier 1 launch countries.
1.jpg

Jun 21, 2018
Here in Italy is really simple: it is called PlayStation, it will play FIFA with better graphic. Sony is going to sell every unit they can put on the market. X-Box is basically an unknown brand.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
With console gaming getting bigger in certain markets, I can see them keep the pace.

SEA, China and Korea are slowly getting bigger relevance in console sales.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It has more potential than PS4, that only had a few games at launch.

Imagine being able to play TLOU 2, Spiderman, GOW, Death Stranding, GoT etc. on day 1.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually worried that they won't call it the Playstation 5.
Why are you worried? Did they give you any indication they won't call it ps5 or is it because of that stupid thread on era about Sony changing ps5 name lmao?

Like they will throw away the ps brand after it worked wonders for them lol some of y'all takes are too funnny

Last edited:

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I voted no based off the idea that it's going to be more expensive, which I think will turn be a turn off for them having as many early adopters.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Yep , it's cool I will be able to play my ps4 games on ps5

find it stupid people think most ps4 install base will go to Xbox lmao when most People were shouting all gen they care about their purchase

Why tf would anyone start over or buy the opposite system first when they got 0 purchase or few shit on there.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep in mind PS3 sold over 80M with the problems that console had. Don't think it's hyperbolic to say the only thing stopping a dominant PS console is Sony doing something stupid. MS will be more competitive next gen i agree . Still don't think that will affect anything globally.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It won't be the same. PS4 got the benefit of not stepping in it like the Xbox One did with price, power, messaging etc. They won't get so lucky. The Xbox platform is more advanced in a lot of ways than Sony at this point and I expect they will both be very compelling at launch for various reasons. It's going to be better for gamers.

My personal opinion is ultimately we do have to wait to see how they introduce the consoles and what controversies come up to ultimately say. But I'd say with what we know now, it's quite possible. With BC, they are going to have the effect that it will be easier for the many people who already got PS4 this generation to just stay in the ecosystem and buy the next playstation. That being said, I'm not sure consoles will benefit as much from that as smartphones as I think people see consoles already as their own seperate thing and are used to them being seperate. That's changing but it's not taken for granted that you stay in the same ecosystem near as much as it is with cellphones.

Also, the playstation name is pretty powerful. They've only had one playstation that didn't do well or as well as the competition and that mostly was in the US/UK that we saw that. And it still bounced back to be at least a decently good choice (as in it still got good third party seport and good first party games). Sony so far other than one misstep has shown they usually know what they're doing when it comes to consoles (not so much handhelds but Nintendo tends to dominate there).

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Sony has sold over 500 million home consoles since it entered the home console market. More than any other competitor since. Yet it will always be the underdog it looks like lol

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The PS5 will do great, but they won't have the lack of Nintendo and the constant dunking on MS this time around. I'm buying one no matter what with the BC and VR working, but I'm hoping MS comes out swinging.

Yep , it's cool I will be able to play my ps4 games on ps5

find it stupid people think most ps4 install base will go to Xbox lmao when most People were shouting all gen they care about their purchase

Why tf would anyone start over or buy the opposite system first when they got 0 purchase or few shit on there.

I mean, looking at my Xbox ready to install list from Oldbox, 360, and One I've got something like 500 some odd games ready to go. If I go by my PS4, I still have a big library but it's not 3 gens worth.

If the Xbox is the "better" system, that's what I'm buying first. People have more than one console, it won't just be cut and dry like that. Hell I jumped from MS to Sony last gen but got back on.

Last edited: