• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will they have display ports?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • No

Votes: 55 94.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had attempted to make this thread in the past, yet posted it in the Etcetera Forums accidentally... So this time I'm doing it in the proper place! With the rise of PC gaming, display ports have become better than HDMI at adapting to higher bandwidths, due to the sheer fact that PC gaming caters to all types of demographics, including the enthusiasts. HDMI 2.1 is around the corner, but it still is behind the 2.0 version of the display port. I doubt they'd need that extra juice, or even be capable of taking advantage of it, but I think having a display port may help with compatibility.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No because it's not like they could take advantage of... the advantages of DisplayPort 2.0.

HDMI 2.1 should be more than enough.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
no one uses them so no
i only use the one on my thinkpad cause its the only way i can do dual monitors

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
First off, no. Regardless of anything else.

But to be fair, HDMI 2.1 will cover any bases thee consoles could possibly need covered.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This, however, does make me curious about which standard PC gamers here use more.

Nov 8, 2017
While I can't say it's definitively impossible, console design tends to err on the side of cutting corners to keep costs to a minimum and the primary use case for the new devices is either linked up to a TV or a VR headset. HDMI 2.1 support kills most of the rationale for why you'd include a DP input outside of "supporting PC monitors", many of which do already have HDMI support for VRR via Freesync or will include 2.1 support in the coming years.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
It would be smart to enforce using a bundled display port to hdmi cable, so they can quality control the cable ppl use instead of trying to use ancient hdmi they already have