• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Basically on My Anime List - there is a list containing the highest rated Manga of all time based on user feedback and reception. The Top 5 is as follows

Number 1:

Berserk (Non Completed Stories still count)

157931.jpg

Number 2:

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Steel Ball Run:

179882.jpg

Number 3:

Fullmetal Alchemist

27600.jpg

Number 4:

Oyasumi Punpun

164420.jpg

Number 5:

Monster

54525.jpg

Do you agree with the choices here, or do you think other manga should be in the Top 5 Highest Rated of all time?

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right IMO. Maybe One Piece should slide in there somewhere, but I think the 6 of them are all worthy of ranking so highly.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its all subjective. Those manga are all undeniably good, but they are obviously not going to be considered the "the best of all time" for many people not on mylist, neither should they be. There's tons of manga out there

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised by the caliber of works here. I haven't read Oyasumi Punpun and Fullmetal Alchemist is a bit of a head scratcher but the other three are deserving of the recognition and are the type that I would've assumed would be ignored for Naruto or One Piece-like junk.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
That's a far better list than I expected.

Figured I'd see something like Attack on Titan.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Hunter x Hunter needs to be up there. But I can't deny that the series present aren't worthy of such high praise.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never thought Fullmetal Alchemist was that good. It's a great series but I would never think about putting it in a top 10 list. Despite all that, that list is pretty standard fare.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To be fair a lot of pepole consider Berserk to be one of the greatest manga of all time same with FMA

Not "to be fair". A lor of people is still not everyone, or even a majority if your looking at the whole amount of people who follow manga or anime in general.

Its been years since i've read the manga in the OP, and while i recognize their objective quality like i do anime like Cowboy Bebop, none of them would not make a top 5 list of mine in regards to personal favorites

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect to see so many of my personal favorites there :o I'm not sure SBR is the second best manga ever, but it's pretty good. Decent list.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
JoJo and FMA not by a long shot, the others have at least some merit. PunPun is probably the only one of those I'd definitely put in my Top 10, Monster might drop just out of it or be in low spots. Berserk could get there too but I don't want to list incomplete things. There's still time for it to shit the bed and it arguably somewhat has already, in some parts and ways.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure Punpun is such a great thing these days. Asano has done better things since.

Still good though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty damn good top 5 although FMA looks like the odd one out tbh. Its much better than the Anime top 5 which has Steins, FMA, and Your Name.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vinland Saga, Vagabond are as good as Berserk in my opinion. I can't speak on the rest because I haven't read the remaining list

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Much better list than I was expecting. I approve.

Is Oyasumi Punpun worth reading?

It's unique, but I don't think it's amazing.
It's a story that you wouldn't read again twice for fun. It's a coming of age, but it can get really dark at some moments. Not the most fun story I would say or it's possible that I couldn't see the beauty in it (I was quite young when reading it so it may have even messed up even more, around the age of 15-16).

-----

I find the scores weird because they don't adjust to the amount of users that vote.

For example:
No.1: Beserk is scored by 82.821 users whereas No.10 Grand Blue is scored by: 7.889 users.

Their method:

How are top anime/manga scores calculated?
Only scores where a user has completed at least 1/5 of the anime/manga are calculated.

Example: If you watched a 26 episode series, this means you would had to have watched at least 5 episodes (26/5.2)=5. We're using 5.2 instead of 5 so we get a whole number for "most" series.

Formula
Weighted Rank (WR) = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
S = Average score for the Anime (mean).
v = Number of votes for the Anime = (Number of people scoring the Anime).
m = Minimum votes/scores required to get a calculated score (currently 50 scores required).
C = The mean score across the entire Anime DB.

Top Upcoming and Most Popular ranking calculation
The Top Upcoming and Most Popular titles are calculated differently to above, and are instead judged by popularity.
This popularity is measured according to the number of users who have the title in their list. The more users that have the title shown in their Anime or Manga list, the higher it will be ranked.

Example Berserk:
S = 9,30
v = 82.821
m = 50
C = ?
WR = (82821 / (82821 + 50))*9,30 + (50 / (82821 + 50))*? = Rank 1

EDIT: Probably a party pooper with this post lol. I'm happy that Kingdom is within the top 10. All other manga's deserve their spot (except punpun for me personally).

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Berserk
JoJo part 7
Monster

All desrve the status.

Never read PunPun and I dont' think Full Metal Alchemist is all that great.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Hunter x Hunter needs to be up there. But I can't deny that the series present aren't worthy of such high praise.
I've only read 3 manga. Isn't Hunter Hunter criticized heavily for its drawings.

The narrative is solid but they do make some ugly drawings. But I can't really judge it because I've only read 2 other manga.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm with Betty. I don't know that much about PunPun, but of the other four FMA is the only one that I can immediately think of multiple things I enjoyed more.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece being #6, eh, I'll live, it's close enough. I still have to read Jojo Pt. 7. I started Punpun a long ass time now, but fell off. Basically have to reread it now. Everything else is some GOAT-tier stuff, so sure.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Vagabond was better than berserk but I haven't read either in years so I can't say now.

Jojolion is probably going to be better than Steel ball run when it finishes

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Betty. I don't know that much about PunPun, but of the other four FMA is the only one that I can immediately think of multiple things I enjoyed more.
Yep I feel the same way. It's still a great series but nothing about it ever stands out at being best ever or cream of the crop. Nothing wrong with that though.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Monster was ruined by its ending. It rendered the entire series pointless. Felt like I had wasted a lot of time.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
The author isn't the best at endings, but I could never agree with it being "ruined" lol

Spoiler:
The whole series has Tenma chasing Johan. In the end he finally captures him and is unable to kill him. Alright yea that's a good enough ending. But the final scene shows that Johan had once again escaped. Ok so now what? Tenma begins another chase? His whole epic journey to capture or put down Johan was all in vain making the whole series pointless imo.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped reading at Berserk at #1 and that's all I needed because that's where it should be.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much better list than I was expecting. I approve.

Is Oyasumi Punpun worth reading?

Yeah. Its a coming of age tale starring a poorly drawn bird in a world of normal people. It then gets fucking crazy. Its excellent stuff and I'd say just jump in and read it and keep an open mind. It goes to some... interesting places.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I personally am not fond of Oyasumi Punpun even if it's absorbing. It's one of those things I will never read again, it's too brutal.

I think Akira and Nausicaa are probably my top 2, the quality on both hold up amazingly well today.