• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does it sound confusing?

• Yes

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 57.7%
  • Both yes & no (explain)

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
There's a lot of talk behind the name of the Xbox Series X and it's naming and how according to some out there it will be confusing to the common consumer. For me it's like a 50/50 chance it will confuse and it won't confuse the common consumer and now that Microsoft has come out and said what I thought was the obvious that the Xbox naming is just Xbox.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I mean whenever I talk about my Xbox One X I just called it Xbox anyway, could be pretty confusing for the general masses but for the people in the know I doubt it.

But most people will just call it 'the new xbox' and most people will understand.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I think we've already had this thread, but yes it is confusing. People trying to defend it are baffling. Maybe it isn't confusing for a gaming enthusiast, but Mum/Dad with zero knowledge on gaming will not know the difference when they head to GAME next Christmas.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I think it makes total sense, honestly. It's like when people wanted Nintendo to call their next system "The Nintendo", the brand is better known than the individual systems. It's the new Xbox.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox
Xbox One
Xbox One X (often abbreviated as "XBOX")
Xbox Series X (to be referred to as "Xbox")

Whoever comes up with these names should've been kicked out of the company years ago.

Also, just having people refer to it as the the new Xbox will surely backfire at Christmas when little Timmy asks grandma for the new Xbox, the "one with the X", and she gets flustered at Wallmart and picks up a One X.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
No, it's like when Apple announced "the new iPad". It was a bit confusing at first but now people uses that term until numbers come back (iPad 4, etc).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Person 1: What are you playing Call of Duty on?
Person 2: "Xbox"

no one really says Xbox one, we know they are talking about Xbox

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It would be confusing if we knew there was only going to be one Xbox this generation. Since we already know there will be Lockhart and more console upgrades/cloud versions down the line it's not confusing.

Naming it Xbox: Series X gives them an easy way to come out with multiple SKUs

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's not going to be called "Xbox". The name is Xbox Series X. I really think BI deciphered MS' statement wrong.

Series should be the equivalent of the "One" part of the current Xbox One generation.

Switching from Xbox Series X to "Xbox Ultra" or something like that would be even more confusing later down the line. Consistency matters here.

All MS said is it's not going to be called the Xbox One, and the Xbox name is coming forward. Of course it is, because that's the brand name.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
People here REALLY want it to be confusing, right? Or am I going crazy?

Like it's so simple. I just don't get why this gets asked so frequently. Are people confused by smartphone naming? Are people confused by the naming conventions behind graphic cards?

Like I'm sorry for the rant but I am just baffled at this point.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Being just "Xbox" is something I personally desired to see, kind of the "classy reboot," so to speak. I like that aspect of the name.

I'm not a fan of the "Series X" designator, though. I know it's trying to lift the current Xbox One scheme, and have "X" be sort of the premier experience they're aiming for, but it rings way too similarly to Xbox One X IMO. It's not confusing to me, I just think it's a bit redundant — and I think it does risk being kinda confusing to average consumers, but I think they can make up for that if the marketing and the actual hardware packaging hammers home the new monolithic silhouette to consumers — seeing the different form factor might make it plainly obvious that it's a new thing to people that might get confused with Xbox One X.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not confusing at all. Xbox is the brand name, the different models have the series SKU name attached.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand this talk of "Xbox" being the real name. Like, what does that mean?

That "Series X" is just the name of the model? I mean, sure... wasn't that always the case for any console ever? Like.. Xbox is the brand, yes. And 360 was the model for that one. One was the next model. Now the new model is series X.

What's the difference with what came before?

So yes, I guess I am confused. I think it's definitely more confusing than "PlayStation 5" because Series X sounds like a special edition of the One X, so I think bystanders who don't pay attention to the industry might be a little confused initially. Nothing marketing can't fix, but good names shouldn't require marketing to be understood.

I AM confused about the whole "the name is just Xbox" talk though. Nobody's explaining what that even means.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be confusing until they eventually need to break compatibility (ie PS6, 10th gen) and then they'll have to come up with another stupid name anyway to differentiate it.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all making this more complicated than it really is.

And how many grandma's are out here buying expensive gaming systems? I got socks.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The name is Xbox and they showed off the Series X. We will be getting a Series X2, X3, X4 and so on. We will also be getting an S series and it will go S2, S3 and so on. Its very simple and the only people confused are people who want to be....the title to this thread is way more confusing

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we've already had this thread, but yes it is confusing. People trying to defend it are baffling. Maybe it isn't confusing for a gaming enthusiast, but Mum/Dad with zero knowledge on gaming will not know the difference when they head to GAME next Christmas.

Having worked in game retail this is some "tales from my ass" level of speculation. They either come with the child because that's actually way more common that you would expect, they come knowing the name or they say "the newest xbox" and TRUST me no on in game is trying to flog you a Xbox One X over a Series X.

Not to mention they are coming to GAME or similar stores for the deals they put on over the Holiday period with games bundled. GAME are going to be hard selling the console no one is accidentally buying a Xbox One X instead it just doesn't happen this is one of those "but the dumb consumer" arguments that has NEVER actually reflected the consumer no one is buying the wrong iPhone or iPad or a regular PS4 over a Pro out of confusion the same will be true with the Series X

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Mum/Dad do just fine picking up the latest iPhones and iPads with similar naming conventions at Christmas so this won't cause issues.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Personally, no, I have a brain that I know how to use. Sadly, that isn't the case for the majority of the populous.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Friend of mine today who works in a gameshop. People have come in these last days and just asked about "the new Xbox"

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's seriously the least confusing name they've used. It's just called Xbox, which is what everyone already calls whatever current gen box. Series X is the subproduct. Parents are going to walk into the store and say "I want an Xbox" the clerk is going to say "Ok" and hand them the newest one.

This is the most non issue shit

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
did we not already have a poll topic on this?

also everyone calls it by the brand name eventually. its not a ridiculous statement.

the fact that it looks nothing like any previous xbox will help it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's not confusing to me, but I see it being somewhat confusing to some people. In the end it won't matter it's not going to be a Wii U type situation or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.