• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think we will see a new Danganronpa game eventually

• Yes

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 59.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I mean, Danganronpa's original fiction still has no sequel beyond the ending of 3's anime(which could also be retconned), as the DR in V3 is fictional to that universe. I dont think the meteor crashing and wiping all life is meant to actually be canon to the first two games.
wait what, when did a meteor come in

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of don't want another DR. I loved V3's ending and think it was about as perfect as we can get for this series.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idea 1. You don't.

Idea 2. Seriously. Don't.

Idea 3. Pretend V3 never happened.

Idea 4.
Have a female lead and not stuff them in a fridge this time.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Just show Monokuma in the intro watching V3 ending in cinema and saying "cute...but Danganronoa is never over upupupu".

Cut to cast showcase.
I actually love this. DR1 and 2 are tv shows in the V3 universe so V3 should be a movie in 1&2 universe. Make it loop all the way on itself.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
V3's ending was so bad, holy crap. Definitely thought it was smarter than it was, when it's basically a self-own for a series which constantly reused tropes and concepts without really exploring the boundaries of what its broad killing game concept could reach.

I think they'll make another one day, but without veering completely away from the trilogy's storyline, it wouldn't be good.

Really, it's bad enough that D3 ruined both D1 and D2 in retrospect.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Either Spin offs (like the Despair Girls that was hinted at) or games similar but still distinct. Danganronpa as we know it is probably done for a while

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
V3 ending was perfect. They should just drop the "Danganronpa" brand.

They should just reboot the thing with a different title and premise.
Instead of schools and ultimates, have something different. Keep the overall design but change everything into something fresh and new.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's Spike's most popular franchise so I think they will reboot it and start a new saga in a few years. Of course I'd prefer if they create something completelly new based on the same style of gameplay, but Monokuma means sales and merchandising,

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nice to see the ending is as controversial as ever.

I think if/when Kodaka gets back to it, his penchant for messing with expectations and twisting his own tropes isn't going to go away. And if he intends to top V3 in that respect (which he most likely will), then I eagerly await whatever massive wedge it will drive straight through the fanbase. In any case I don't think it could be a follow up to V3 without committing to a canon that will almost certainly upset someone.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
It's Spike's most popular franchise so I think they will reboot it and start a new saga in a few years. Of course I'd prefer if they create something completelly new based on the same style of gameplay, but Monokuma means sales and merchandising,
Yeah, honestly series reboot would be for the best

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
V3 ending was perfect.

I guess if you want to ignore V3, I wouldn't mind more spin-offs like Ultra Despair Girls. A Killing Game and trials similar like the previous game wouldn't make any sense in the story, the anime already had to force the story to make another Killing Game and it's story suffered for it.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
V3 ending was perfect.

I guess if you want to ignore V3, I wouldn't mind more spin-offs like Ultra Despair Girls. A Killing Game and trials similar like the previous game wouldn't make any sense in the story, the anime already had to force the story to make another Killing Game and it's story suffered for it.
I mean there were pepole that were very unhappy with V3's ending, see this thread

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love them to make a spiritual successor but V3 is probably one of the most definitive endings of a series I've ever seen, and I dont think a sequel would make any sense as the very concept of the series has been more or less ruined (for me at least)

Not that it was a bad ending, I liked what they did, but there is no way I could enjoy another game in the series given what we learned at the end of v3

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The only way I'd want Danganronpa to come back after V3 if it's substantially different.

I really liked how 2 had that tropical island theme. Do something as original like that and make the cast varied in ages instead of high school.

Keep monokuma but ditch any relation to Junko or Hope Peak Academy. The mystery is the best part and monokuma can be an avatar for anyone.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If they can find an overarching theme that isn't Hope vs Despair then I'd like that. I think V3 kind of buried that conflict solidly in any case, in favour of Reality/Truth vs Fiction/Lies.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa was a series with mysteries I liked but with a mountain of tropes and one-dimensional characters that I tolerated at best. And yet, the way V3 ended couldn't have possibly be better for me, by acknowledging that the things I didn't like in the series weren't very great indeed, and I wouldn't want to see another game going back to how previous games used to be.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a reboot at some point, though I don't want one.

I'm in the camp that love the ending of V3.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there were pepole that were very unhappy with V3's ending, see this thread
IMO the reception from the ending is to be expected. I see it like how Death Stranding being so divisive means more than it getting all 100s across the board. The point of the game is to be disruptive, which means people will naturally have varied opinions, thus it accomplished what it set out to do. V3 acknowledges its own shortcomings and makes a point without being pretentious about it. The people that dislike it generally dislike what it means in terms of the story's lore less than from a writing perspective, which is what I was alluding to in that was the game's goal from the beginning.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Those people are wrong.
You make a compelling arguement, allow me to retort.
no you

V3's ending was so bad, holy crap. Definitely thought it was smarter than it was, when it's basically a self-own for a series which constantly reused tropes and concepts without really exploring the boundaries of what its broad killing game concept could reach.

I think they'll make another one day, but without veering completely away from the trilogy's storyline, it wouldn't be good.

Really, it's bad enough that D3 ruined both D1 and D2 in retrospect.
This is pretty much my thoughts and why I hate it too. All the other media (including the anime, which I never got around to watching and sure as hell not gonna now) is made pointless by the ending

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
First off V3's ending was great.
Secondly you can't just do another typical DR game after that ending, well you could you'd just be a sell out. The whole structure of the series needs to be shaken up.
Thirdly there is no thirdly, expectations subverted.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I wish they'd leave V3 as the ultimate (har har) ending it is, but who knows? I think that they won't be doing sequels any time soon, but nothing is stopping them from some kind of prequel.

I actually love V3's ending, but I'd be worried about anything after that. I enjoyed them taking the risk of ruthlessly calling out their own flaws like that (overstating Junko as a character, too many sequels, quirks for the sake of quirks)
but I'd worry about anything after that. Going this far only to backpedal would be the lowest point in the series for me for sure.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're not one of the people who took the whole "fiction" thing to seriously.
What do you mean by that? I'm one of the people who likes good stories, and dislikes bad attempts to overexplain and justify what people didn't really need to know in a way that completely dilutes the mystique and significance of previous stories retrospectively.

Mar 19, 2019
Just because you may a want a series of increasingly worse sequels ala the Ace Attorney series doesnt mean everyone does.
Yoooo, I never said I was an Ace Attorney fan. Even if Danganronpa gets better mysteries over time, it has exactly the same issue as Ace Attorney where the overarching stories get increasingly silly because of feeling the need to rise stakes endlessly.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by that? I'm one of the people who likes good stories, and dislikes bad attempts to overexplain and justify what people didn't really need to know in a way that completely dilutes the mystique and significance of previous stories retrospectively.

How does it do that when it's a separate game in it's own, totally separate continuity?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
V3 was the definition of setting fire to the bridge as you cross, it took a series which had limitless potential for future completely unconnected entires using the brand as an umbrella and yet decided to flush it all down the toilet to pull a cheap gotcha on anyone who become invested in the story and characters over the years. We know the grand mystery now, it was all a dream TV show, any future entry would be constrained by that framework no matter how radically different the style may be.

Danganronpa is dead, and after a triple whammy dumpster fire of Ultra Despair Girls, the DR3 anime duo and V3 it probably deserves to be.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
V3 was the definition of setting fire to the bridge as you cross, it took a series which had limitless potential for future completely unconnected entires using the brand as an umbrella and yet decided to flush it all down the toilet to pull a cheap gotcha on anyone who become invested in the story and characters over the years. We know the grand mystery now, it was all a dream TV show, any future entry would be constrained by that framework no matter how radically different the style may be.

Danganronpa is dead, and after a triple whammy dumpster fire of Ultra Despair Girls, the DR3 anime duo and V3 it probably deserves to be.
These are pretty much exactly all of my thoughts. It's not even like the series ended on a high note when there was a bunch of bad material surrounding it, which even extends to the light novels with stuff like Killer Killer. I think a series which had a consistently high level of quality could perhaps pull off something like V3 did, but not where it was at, and especially not after it claimed to be a reboot when, once again, it couldn't let go of its roots.

I do think they'd be able to do a DR4 which would legitimately go "forget everything that happened before" and just go from there. But it'd be an interesting thing to see them try and pull off.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V3's ending was a great way to wrap up and end a series that 3 proved can pretty much not go on any longer. Let the creator move on to something new, please.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about Danganronpa 3 here. Not Danganronpa V3.
Ah

I thought it was ok.
Since when was it confirmed V3 didn't take place in the same continuity as the others?

They said before it came out it wasn't connected to the previous games; the fake out was them temporarily making you think it was connected.

We know the grand mystery now, it was all a dream TV show, any future entry would be constrained by that framework no matter how radically different the style may be.

But that's wrong.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A new game I expect, I don't think it'll be connected to the prior ones though. Will likely be a soft reboot or reimagining.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
V3's ending is as definitive as it can get in fiction. It's the kind of ending that if they eventually retcon to allow for more content you'll be mad at the creators.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Danganronpa V3 is pretty much abruptly ended just right there. Also, I'm still salty from Spike Chunsoft that they won't justify Junko's torment since they refused to make a backstory of her.

Oct 27, 2017
No, the ending was perfect. I wish more games did what they had the balls to do and just kill their franchise before it got stale.