• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think we will see a new Danganronpa game eventually

• Yes

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 59.8%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
It's been a while since any Danganronpa Content of signifcant note has been released or at least shown and with the main artist and writer having left Spike Chunsoft in order to work on their own projects it kinda seems like Danganronpa has kinda been left to the dust. Don't get me wrong there is definetly the possibility we could see another Danganronpa but at the same time - i am not sure Spike would want to continue the series without Kodaka and Rui Komatsuzaki working on a new Danganronpa. It's possible but it would likely not be a sequel to V3 and would be a reboot of sorts in my opinion. So do you think we will see a new Danganronpa game eventually?

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll see something with the characters and what not but it won't be "danganronpa", there's more there than danganronpa

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a full blown reboot. No connections to the old trilogy.

But they'll probably do a Junko fake out like usual.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's too popular to be abandonded and we'll get another game. But I'm expecting a reboot or at least not directly related story. It's also possible they may drop the danganronpa name and make it more like a spiritual successor but with essentially the same idea.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Series ended perfectly. It'll return eventually but I hope it doesn't/if it does it's a reboot and it is given time.

Bisonian

Oct 27, 2017
V3 was an incredible ending to a good game. I also don't ever want to play another Danganronpa game again. I can't even imagine how you would keep going, and especially not without a number of key staff members.

Mar 19, 2019
Series ended perfectly.
1f914.png

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope not.

V3 was phenomenal, and I feel like they couldn't do it justice with a sequel.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
V3 killed the series and I'm okay with that. I hated the ending ... and it achieved its job therefore I want that to be its lasting legacy

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I really hope we will, I'd like to see a fresh spin on it from someone other than Kodaka who hopefully won't keep recycling the same damn tropes and story beats for meta reasons.

Also, I think people really overstate how much the ending of V3 was meant to be a "we can never do this again" ending. I know it was extremely meta and borderline 4th wall breaking, but it was not a critique of itself and the player. It was a critique of a universe where Danganronpa gets so wildly popular that real killing games start happening for entertainment.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like making another one after V3's ending would make them look like fools. Maybe if it's a completely blank slate, and I mean blank; maybe a killing game but that's it.

Feb 12, 2019
The ending of V3 salts the earth so audaciously that I cannot imagine a new one anytime soon. If they ever do another thing with the Danganronpa name attached, they're going to have to basically change everything except the most basic premise.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Spike could go back to the orginal concept of Distrust and make a game based on that

I still take a gander at the game's page on the wiki, looked so cool.

but I would welcome a DR4 with open arms provided it's a true reboot, unlike V3 which they billed as a reboot only to spoil the entirety of the rest of the series.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
V3 is impossible to follow up, they would need to reboot the whole series, and then, why not make a new IP?

put Monokuma in Smash and let the setiexx SSC sunset

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I still take a gander at the game's page on the wiki, looked so cool.

but I would welcome a DR4 with open arms provided it's a true reboot, unlike V3 which they billed as a reboot only to spoil the entirety of the rest of the series.
In my opinion V3 should have been a reboot and as much as i dislike it, D3 should have been the complete end of D1,D2 with no connection to the past expect Monokuma for V3

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Kodaka has said he plans to revisit the series after some downtime so I will leave that to him. His baby, his world, his characters. He can do whatever the hell he wants and I will happily enjoy the journey.

That being said I am looking forward to his other offerings being made at Tookyo Games in the meantime.

Oct 27, 2017
I think V3 was as definitive of an ending that a series could get. No need for more. The series doesn't really lend itself for multiple iterations, honestly, which was kinda V3's point lol.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there will be a new one anytime soon but I do expect them to eventually release a new entry. Not sure if they'd go with reboot or a sequel tho

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V3 is a special kind of failure that didn't just kill the series but any potential interest of a revival.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
They should release a VN game that seems nothing like Danganronpa but suddenly becomes Danganronpa half way through. Only way to top V3.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Well, they could make Danganronpa 4-52 I guess. That said, there's really no reason to make another one, V3's ending was perfect.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Also, I think people really overstate how much the ending of V3 was meant to be a "we can never do this again" ending. I know it was extremely meta and borderline 4th wall breaking, but it was not a critique of itself and the player. It was a critique of a universe where Danganronpa gets so wildly popular that real killing games start happening for entertainment.
Honestly that ending felt incredibly confused about what it wants to do and how meta it wants to be. At times it's definitely trying to call out the player and make a parallel between the real playerbase and in-universe audience. This comparison doesn't make any sense when you think about it but it's the game that tried to make it so it's not surprising a lot of people take it as a critique of the players. It's kinda in a place where it's just meta for the sake of being meta and it can be interpreted either way.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think V3 was as definitive of an ending that a series could get. No need for more. The series doesn't really lend itself for multiple iterations, honestly, which was kinda V3's point lol.
It was unearned, though. The series had two great entries and a bad spinoff with two shit animes before it.

Its a series of shlocky murder mysteries built around a diverse and lovable cast and absurd over the top story beats, the "ending" of v3 exaggerating that and its fanbase wanting more of that as this horrible thing was always stupid.

it really needs a reboot, or even to become an anthology series.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
How was this the point you took from V3? Just because Kodaka kept intentionally reusing the same tropes and looping everything back around to Hope's Peak and Junko while winking at the player and being like "But I HAVE to because it's Danganronpa!" doesn't meant the series actually needs to do that. There's literally no reason they couldn't do an actual reboot next time, and if they don't and keep recycling then it's on the writers and not because it doesn't lend itself to multiple iterations.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just show Monokuma in the intro watching V3 ending in cinema and saying "cute...but Danganronoa is never over upupupu".

Cut to cast showcase.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I loved V3 and I don't want to see the series continue after the way it ended. If they have to bring it back make it as far removed from the older titles as possible.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
V3 has one of my favorite endings in all of gaming and it felt very definitive but I would like them to reboot it one day and make it totally separate from everything we currently have.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe to explain the outside world and explain what Shuichi,Maki and Himiko are doing currently..
I would argue that making a direct sequel like that would be just as superfluous as the recent Breaking Bad movie. Virtually any piece of lore can be expanded upon, but that doesn't mean that the original story was incomplete or something. Walking off into the sunset is, like, the quintessential ending.

It's also couldn't be a traditional Danganronpa game since there's no way for another killing game to be set up in that universe anyway.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I would argue that making a direct sequel like that would be just as superfluous as the recent Breaking Bad movie. Virtually any piece of lore can be expanded upon, but that doesn't mean that the original story was incomplete or something. Walking off into the sunset is, like, the quintessential ending.

It's also couldn't be a traditional Danganronpa game since there's no way for another killing game to be set up in that universe anyway.
True, it could be an anime but then again D3..............

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, Danganronpa's original fiction still has no sequel beyond the ending of 3's anime(which could also be retconned), as the DR in V3 is fictional to that universe. I dont think the meteor crashing and wiping all life is meant to actually be canon to the first two games.