• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so liked both game , tew 2 was my game of the year , it deserved a sequel , wolfenstein too

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I loved both Wolfenstein games, and I am fully expecting a 3rd entry in the series...

I actually thought Wolfenstein 2 was better than the first entry in the series...

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Mecha Hitler will happen in the next Wolfenstein. I just hope they find a way to improve the gameplay.

But I'm not sure how well this game sold? Will it even have a sequel?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously hope so. I adored both games and really hope we can get a conclusion to both of their stories. I gotta take down Hitler and Ruvik for good.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will want to wrap up Wolfenstein with one more game so it'll come.

TEW3 is a lot more unsure. I find hope in the poster in this thread hearing that it's underway. TEW2 was my GOTY 2017 and I played it twice. Haven't played any games twice other than that this past year. I love it.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if TEW3 happens I'm pretty sure it will feature Kidman as protagonist. They did a really good job in giving the Castellanos family a very satisfying and meaningful ending. One of the better and more satisfying endings for me in a long time actually. It would be unfair to put Sebastian through hell again. Kidman, Joseph and Ruvik standing at the center of TEW3, mark my words.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 was excellent and I would not mind a sequel or a spiritual successor tbh

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Well Wolfenstein has a super open ending, TEW is more a closed ending, but they can introduce a different protagonist easily because the idea of the STEM is widely usable.
That said, I just hope the games sold enough to see a sequel...

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Wolfenstein 2 ending doesn't really leave the door open for a sequel although at an E3 interview they said that they always envisioned it as a trilogy. I guess they can find a way to continue it if they really want it and there is still DLC coming for the game.

Did we play the same game? The ending was total sequel bait. It doesn't just leave the door open, it puts up a big sign saying "Sequels welcome, enquire within".

Wolfy 2 is such an obvious "middle chapter" it hurts, the devs have said the trilogy will end with you killing mecha-Hitler.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Wolf2 was such a fun ride and there will no doubt be a 3 ending with a Mecha Hitler boss fight. Than next gen make a new trilogy that focuses on the supernatural side of the series. That makes the most logical sense.

I only want a TEW3 if it's more The the first game. I want it more paced like RE4 and less of the open world padding where I need to crotch the entire way across the map. Bring the insanity, tension, enemy swarms and large monster variety back and I'm in. You can say I want TEW 1.5.

OP
OP
Laplasakos

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see all of us have the same idea for Wolfenstein 3 (mecha Hitler) lol. If Bethesda makes a another one they really have to find something else now or add some big twist.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Also, if TEW3 happens I'm pretty sure it will feature Kidman as protagonist. They did a really good job in giving the Castellanos family a very satisfying and meaningful ending.

Moments after driving away from Kidman they both died in a head on crash at 40mph since they weren't wearing their seat belts.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wolfenstein 2 ending doesn't really leave the door open for a sequel although at an E3 interview they said that they always envisioned it as a trilogy. I guess they can find a way to continue it if they really want it and there is still DLC coming for the game.

Wait how could you ever interpret the ending of Wolfenstein 2 as a conclusion. The whole game is about gearing up to start a revolution to fight back against the Nazis and the game literally ends the second that starts. Plus the introduction of Hitler as a on screen character clearly shows they will probably make him the primary antagonist during the third game.

As for sales I assume regardless of they were good or not Bethesda will let them conclude the trilogy based on the amount of praise the game as received both critically and from a fan standpoint. I doubt they expected it to be some huge seller in this year of releases anyway.

Can't speak for TEW since I didn't play it, and not aware of its critical response.

OP
OP
Laplasakos

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait how could you ever interpret the ending of Wolfenstein 2 as a conclusion. The whole game is about gearing up to start a revolution to fight back against the Nazis and the game literally ends the second that starts. Plus the introduction of Hitler as a on screen character clearly shows they will probably make him the primary antagonist during the third game.

As for sales I assume regardless of they were good or not Bethesda will let them conclude the trilogy based on the amount praise the game as received both critically and from a fan standpoint. I doubt they expected it to be some huge seller in this year of releases anyway.

Because they kinda gave away that the revolution will win and it's a matter of time before ending the Nazi regime, after all these hits they have taken and with Hitler in a pathetic state. It's like saying ''it's smooth sailing from here''. At least that's how i interpreted it...

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Because they kinda gave away that the revolution will win and it's a matter of time before ending the Nazi regime, after all these hits they have taken and with Hitler in a pathetic state. It's like saying ''it's smooth sailing from here''. At least that's how i interpreted it...

Sure your allowed to have your on take on the story. I just thought it would be obvious that there would be a next game that extended back into Europe and take back the major cities leading up to Berlin (Or an equivalent HQ for the Nazis). The revolution in America wouldn't stop the Nazis from reigning over everywhere else in the world. America would just be the first step in a war spanning the globe. Though I suppose that is also my interpretation.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally rather see more new IP's from those studio's before they return to making sequels.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want a Wolf 3 simply for the continuing of the amazing art direction and voice acting. Wolf 2 was such a well presented game.

I don't care about the Evil Within. I just wanted a spiritual successor to RE4 and this stealth crap has never been fun. I'm at the end of 2 and have no desire to continue playing this janky game.

apozem

Oct 30, 2017
Wolfenstein II was clearly built with a sequel in mind. The game literally ends
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

It's just a matter of whether it sold well enough. Wolf II got a $30 price cut like two weeks after it came out. That's not a good sign. Damn shame, as the writing in that game is excellent.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get an Evil Within 3. Also, Bethesda doesn't seem intent on abandoning single player games any time soon...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They might be cut back in scope a bit, but yes I think we'll see sequels. I think Bethesda might have them add in secondary modes though.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I absolutely adored The Evil Within 2. I feel confident for a third entry. Then again, I was 100% sure we'd have a second although it seems some others were surprised. And while I appreciate Mikami, you can put me in the Johanas faction. The Kidman DLCs and TEW 2 were brilliant and I also love the stealth and open-world-ish stuff.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Friend is a developer at Tango - they have crazy work hours like you wouldn't believe. Obviously development may stop/change/become something else but yeah, it's underway.
Are you sure it's a third game or just dlcs for 2?
There's this reddit user who said that they're working on 3 dlcs but nothing about TEW3,obviously he/she had nothing to back that up.
Anyway,thanks for sharing this info.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
There's this reddit user who said that they're working on 3 dlcs but nothing about TEW3,obviously he/she had nothing to back that up.

I've seen that post as well. I won't believe till I see it, but I saved it just in case. You never know

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I hope The Evil Within 3 gets made. I feel there isn't much reason for Sebastian to be the protagonist anymore, but there's enough threads left over between the last two games for a third game that picks up with Jospeh or maybe Kidman and possibly concludes the storyline.

Though I kinda hope it's for next gen and Tango's next immediate project is a different/new IP.

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly hope there will be a TEW3, although I doubt it, sadly.

And after Wolf 2 I'm not really all that interested in a Wolf 3.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For Wolf it will probably depend on how the DLC does. I think there's about 3 DLC's being planned.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The story moreso than the gameplay was what impressed me with Wolfenstein 2. I was more excited to see the next cutscene than I was actually playing it sometimes. Same with talking to the NPC's. Lovd talking to them.

For the third game can we please get rid of the whole kill a captain stop the alarm game play it got boring.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017

It absolutely does.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
If there is money to be made, then there will be new entries.

Having said that, yes, I do think we'll see a third installment to each of these.

OP
OP
Laplasakos

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That ''leak'' is probably fake (unfortunately) and i explained the reason why in the OT.

Yeah, as you said, too good to be true. Anyone could ''leak'' this as long as he finished the game and all side missions. One thing that gives it away as fake is

the part about Joseph. If there was a DLC about him, it would show us what happened to him after the first game (as the last slide and Kidman implies by saying ''that's a story for an other time'') and not after the second game.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both games underwhelmed me considering what came before them. I thought Wolfenstein 2 was in many ways worse than its predecessor, with considerably less interesting locales and enemies. It rang very similar to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in that it certainly felt like a middle game that is mostly an extension of the first, not something that can stand on its own. However, unlike Wolfenstein 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided actually improves on its predecessor in many ways, specifically with regard to gameplay and its hub, even if it feels like it ends before it begins.

With The Evil Within 2, I expected more of the first, and what I got instead was less psychological thriller and more action, which isn't inherently bad, being that I enjoyed it, but it's not what I expected. I thought the game started off very strong being set in the suburban environment. I thought most of the game would be an open-world hub like that, but it became more linear as time went on and the story just got worse and less interesting.

Between Wolfenstein 2 and The Evil Within 2, the former definitely disappointed me more, so much so that I don't give a shit about a sequel anymore, a stark contrast to how excited I was when Wolfenstein 2 was announced. As for The Evil Within, I'm still looking forward to a next installment, should there be one, because while it wasn't what I expected, I still had considerable enjoyment. Not sure if either sold well enough, but we'll see.

Want to talk about a sequel that I think is absolutely deserved and most likely never coming? Alien Isolation. Talk about an amazing experience that could be transformed into something even better. To think that Colonial Marines sold better, Jesus Christ.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
With The Evil Within 2, I expected more of the first, and what I got instead was less psychological thriller and more action, which isn't inherently bad, being that I enjoyed it, but it's not what I expected. I thought the game started off very strong being set in the suburban environment. I thought most of the game would be an open-world hub like that, but it became more linear as time went on and the story just got worse and less interesting.

Playing on Nightmare really punishes you if you don't stealth it. There are barley any ammo drops. The first game would compensate this. The game only forces you to use combat in like 2 or 3 parts of the game. This in turn made me suck at the combat, unlike the first game where it was rewarding . You can tell that Mikami didn't have much influence over this focus tested sequel.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can find some notes near the end of Wolf 2 that allude to fighting Occult Nazis in the next one. I'd live to see a desperate Nazi regime fuck around with that stuff.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had a chance to play evil within yet.

Wolfenstein 1 (as this thread is concerned) was great and loved it. Very challenging and engaging. I did not feel 2 carried that forward. Multiple times I found that you could hide and pick of enemies from a distance without any risk to yourself. Just felt the level design was severely lacking. I love what machine games has done with the series but that didn't carry to the second game for me.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
I see all of us have the same idea for Wolfenstein 3 (mecha Hitler) lol. If Bethesda makes a another one they really have to find something else now or add some big twist.

Why? If you've a concept that people actively want and execute it well, there is no need for a twist. Adding a twist for the sake of just having one is nothing more than hack writing.

You can find some notes near the end of Wolf 2 that allude to fighting Occult Nazis in the next one. I'd live to see a desperate Nazi regime fuck around with that stuff.

That was The Old Blood. Nazis fucking with the occult.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope if we get TEW3 they ditch Sebastian. No matter what they did he just never really was compelling or interesting, and they've wrapped up most of his baggage.

TBH I wouldn't mind a reboot that ditches the whole STEM stuff in general. They just haven't managed to make the world interesting yet, and they nuked most of the bad guys now.

philstorm95

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought TEW2 day one at $59.99 knowing perfectly well the price was going to collapse soon afterwards but I wanted to let Bethesda know the series must live on, you know vote with your wallet and stuff..

however, as long as the series has this guy John Johanas at the helm, I won't support them day 1 anymore and wait till it's bargain bin fodder.

He insists on getting rid of the masterful action gameplay developed by mikami and turn everything into a stealth game, I enjoyed TEW2 but seriously fuck that,

bring Mikami back or bust.
100% agree with everything you just said. I loved the first one, but the sequel lacked any soul it was just a western generic TPS with "zombies"

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Hope Wolf 3 goes full on silly fighting supernatural stuff. 2 felt like such a stopgap in some regards but the overall story and characters still pretty good

Dont care much for TEW unless they really went for something wildly different and experimental next time out.