• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
EDIT: To be clear, this is not about whether or not you'll get old and hate the hobbies and music kids are into or anything like that. It's specifically about ethical, social and economic issues.

Seems like nowadays Boomer just means generally somebody stuck with an older set of morals and values. And there is a lot of incompatibility with what modern ethics argue is appropriate, especially with social and economic issues. So, be honest. Do you think you'll become a boomer 30-40 years from now? It's hard to predict what acts and views that are normal today will be considered reprehensible in a few decades. We're all molded by the times we live in, and it can be hard to notice it in the moment.

For example, let's say eating meat in the future is largely agreed to be incredibly cruel. Do you think you would adapt?

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a given that todays young people will be tomorrows gammon boomers - your children will hate what you did to the world and their future. Thanks a lot you selfish pigs.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I've done pretty well progressing as I get older, so I don't see much of a reason I would stop.

That said who knows. All change isn't equal nor is all change for the best, necessarily. I'm sure I'll be an old codger about at least a few things. I do hope I keep my ability to empathize with my fellow humans on all matters though.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes, absolutely.

In 20 years, a centrist Democrat today will be the right wing. I'm basically that, except left on social issues and I think we should be spending a lot more on NASA, climate change reversal tech, and Science in general.

Oct 27, 2017
A boomer refers to a specific period in history, so no?

I guess I'll be a geezer. Or dinosaur. Or whatever cool new word gets invented for it

Oct 27, 2017
Boomer is everyone wrong who is older than you, millenial is everyone wrong who is younger than you. This is the new eternal rule.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
There would probably be a lot of time travel involved; even then, I don't think I could make it work.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having reached middle age I can tell you, "the young" have great ideas and a lot of stupid ones. Like their music and taste in animated material. Im sure it was the same when i was kid to my parents.

But my views have never changed, maybe a bit more left leaning now than i was as a teen, so no i dont think most kids will change dramatically to Conservatives etc.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because it won't be called Boomer. I'll be called the millenial's version of a Boomer.

A Moomer or something, idk.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I generally consider myself a left-leaning individual and at 33 I already feel it happening, but that's usually only when I spend a lot of time here.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
My desperate emphasis on human contact make me feel like a "boomer" sometimes. Other than that, I may not enjoy the same things as younger people, but I try to understand them.

edit: and yeah, we're on a forum. That's pretty much pinnacle modern boomer behavior

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It'll happen sooner or later. Times change and norms change with them.

A few things that are considered normal right now will probably be seen as bad or archaic in two decades or so. The question is more about what those things might be.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Do kids still play Fortnite on their phones? I never played Pokemon Go, do they play that?

I don't understand what kids like these days... They're into memes?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
The only thing I'll miss is big car engines with loud exhausts and reving to redline.

I'm actually fine with the taste of fake meat, make it more widely available/affordable and get me some fake chicken too and I'll be happy.

This.

Why can't we go back to referring to old people with outdated views as dinosaurs.

Nah, boomers should be permanently remembered for being shitty, the label a reminder of the dangerous road you are on with your outdated beliefs.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean yeah, we're already grousing about millenials when most of us are technically millenials or on the tailend of gen x.

you think you're perma-woke? hohoho you just wait buddy...

grandpa simpson "and it'll happen to you" .gif

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, it's not my fault the bad thing happened and fuck you for wanting me to change for the better.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Boomers are boomers because of their particular set of circumstances growing up that led them to be incredibly well-off and constantly catered to, and being completely blind to how lucky they were.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's inevitable that the ideas and beliefs we champion today will be outdated in decades to come. Humanity still has a lot of improving to do but it won't be us who do it.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No. Just like we don't go around asking if someone born today will grow up to be a millenial. Boomer is reflective on someone born during a specific time period. When Gen Z get older people will find some other nick name to call them out on their shit. Much like people will call Millenials out on their shit when we're in our later years.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You don't become a boomer. It's a generation, it's not like you become it. Young kids are telling older people Boomer because that's what their generation is called (although some are telling boomer to older millennial, which is wrong).The Ok, boomer was just a sarcastic response to the difference in ideology in which boomers think that millennials don't do shit to better themselves, when in fact their generation created this situation with their policies, prices, etc.

If there is someone just saying boomer because he/she is older, then they are wrong. Probably the Gen Z kids who are just plan stupid (at least that's the stereotype).

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I expect to become significantly more conservative by the time I'm older. In a decade, I'll be unmistakable from William F. Buckley. The decade after that, one of those dudes who does the youtubes as a dragon and complains about how there are women who exist in public. The decade after that I'll shed my physical body and become a being of pure economic austerity, a being composed solely of "fuck the poor" energy

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that most people here already are. I recognize most people here from GAF, and they were already old in the other place too, which means they're even older now (sick math I know). ResetBoomer, DinosaurERA

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% will become a boomer. I think kids are doing stupid shit now and I'm only 27.

Will try my best to stay with it but I had a younger person in my company refer to a soccer player as "so cold" meaning that he was really good and my sister wanted me to do some tik tok vids with her.

Nah