• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was there and remember hunting down a flat-screen CRT as soon as they were commercially viable. Unlike scanlines, games weren't designed around curved glass panels.

Oh I agree. It's a nostalgia thing from years of playing in smokey arcades. I even used to run with a filter on MAME that replicated a slightly knackered CRT! Can't remember the name of it now though.

Methinks you are projecting. They are replying to your "you had to be there" comment; it's entirely fair for them to point out that they were, in fact, there. They have even explicitly acknowledged it's down to taste.

Seriously, are you OK, man?

I'm happy with people disagreeing, not so much being told my preference is somehow objectively "bad". It's not that nuanced really.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
My favorite is the Lottes NTSC filter. Only thing is you have to configure it right, ideally by telling it the correct source resolution.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm happy with people disagreeing, not so much being told my preference is somehow objectively "bad". It's not that nuanced really.

Please point out where the word "objectively" appears in the posts you replied to:
Curvature filters look like a photo of a CRT, not a CRT.
I was... It was never a good thing.

This is coming from someone who maintains all sorts of retro hardware, crt monitors, etc. There are many legitimate reason to use it emulate CRT, the curve is just a bad side effect.

But hey, everyone is different in how they want to redress their nostalgia.

Demanding that everyone preface their opinion with "IMHO", and calling it "thought policing" when they don't, is straight out trolling.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Since my last post I've started to use GTU quite a lot on games that rely on blurred dithering for various effects. For example, the dithering in some Mega Drive/Genesis such as Eternal Champions blends very well together to provide the appearance of more colours and transparency. Similarly, I use it on Saturn games that heavily use mesh transparencies; Ellis's transparent outfit in Toshinden Remix/S looks terrible through RGB or sharp emulation. GTU can do something that the Framemeister can which a lot of shaders miss: simulate blurring that a composite connection would have (i.e. lower signal resolution) but without the awful looking colour artifacts.

Another bonus feature of that shader is that it can simulate a display with a low vertical resolution, and this enables it to be used as a very effective deinterlacer for 480i games.

I still don't use scanlines most of the time. I don't like how they look and how they darken the image. Similarly, I'd never use shaders to simulate things like curvature.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I used to, but now I find most of them are too extreme/exaggerated unless you get farther from the TV than my arrangement allows.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got my raspberry pi 4 up and running, and I'm enjoying the pi optimized CRT shaders (without curves!). They do a decent job not overpowering the scanlines or applying too much blur/colorbleed while also being performant enough I can run them while emulating arcade machines.