• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
In theory yes, I like it better (even though NTSC-like filter don't quite match what I remember PAL gaming like). I haven't looked into it much though, and I'm not fond of the NSO's SNES filter.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Always.
Make sure you are using integer scaling too, though. Most 240p games will not fit neatly into your typical 1080p screen, so set it to 720p, 1440p, or 2160p if you want it to fill the screen. Otherwise your scanline filter won't fit quite right and you'll also get shimmering artifacts.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
No. I usually give them a short go, but I find scan line filters to be more distracting than anything. Scanlines on real consumer-grade CRTs were never that obvious at a normal viewing distance.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I'd like to consider myself a pretty big retro enthusiast. I still have all of my consoles dating back to the NES, and they all get some level of occasional play. I've bought a lot of high-end RGB/upscaling equipment along the way, and I have a CRT laying around for use as well.

I have also always considered scanline fetishists to be extremely weird, and I think the vast majority of "retro" filters on modern pixel games/emulators are incredibly poor at capturing an authentic retro look anyway.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I use the actual CRT when I can. If I'm playing a new release of a retro game then yes though.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I've mentioned a few times here that I detest scanline emulation as I think it gets in the way and offers no real benefit, but I do like a good minor pixel blur like the composite filter that Kega Fusion has, because it's a good way to deal with some games' more aggressive dithering.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
CRT filters and more

HMPjoqi.png

0UpKuOj.png

Crazy Castle nostalgia hitting me hard rn.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
CRT royale kurozumi is pretty much why I abandoned the SNES classic. It looks so good on an OLED where the black level is far closer to a CRT than any LCD.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no! Give me those razor-sharp pixels, like God intended. I see no point in needlessly emulating flaws of older technology. Give me original aspect ratio, no borders, and beautiful, sharp pixels.

I also do not listen to music with the hiss, and pops of dirty vinyls, but some crazy folk dig that.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
People who are saying CRT shaders look bad, have you seen retroarch's stuff?

CRT Royale Composite just looks right on old games to me.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
On Retroarch, always. Outside of Retroarch? No, because no one nails it like some of those Retroarch shaders. Latest example I tried was the Switch's NES/SNES filter and I thought it looked like garbo.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Hell no! Give me those razor-sharp pixels, like God intended. I see no point in needlessly emulating flaws of older technology. Give me original aspect ratio, no borders, and beautiful, sharp pixels.

I also do not listen to music with the hiss, and pops of dirty vinyls, but some crazy folk dig that.

As God intended eh...

sonic.png

May 24, 2019
I like the 720P hybrid one on the Mega SG where you can dial in a luminescence level which will pass through the scanlines.
Wp6v5n6.jpg

mWrg4yT.jpg

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I like playing my retro games on my actual CRT but in the instances where I have double dipped on a game to play on a modern console, I always play without filter to get the sharpest looking graphics. Why?
Because it looks complete dogshit compared to the real thing and on top of that it dims down the brightness of the game. They can take their garbage smoothing filter and F' off too.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I don't use scan-line filters, the games look generally awful with them applied (Well, for me, at least). Maybe bcs i'm used to the sharp look as i used to make pixelarts time ago, but i prefer how sprites look without CRT effects.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I'm never happy with the filters.

29e6256aa5653185e93a90031351f1a7b12a3bf4.jpeg

I just game on my PVM instead.

That said I started off with an OSSC and it slowly radicalised me into going back to CRTs.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit of a CRT guy. My main (PC) monitor is a high-quality CRT from right before they stopped being manufactured and I have a few decent CRT televisions for console gaming.

I don't use the CRT filters generally because I think they look silly and not much at all like an actual CRT unless you play your games on a PVM, which has a look that is something of an acquired taste and, to boot, not really what I would consider the typical CRT look.

What I will do, however, is use an interlaced resolution if the original console wasn't progressive scan; I'll also render in the native resolution (or close to it) because otherwise the sharpness on my 2k(ish) CRT simply doesn't look right.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Absolutely crucial.
The best pixel art was done taking advantage of CTR features and shortcomings, like colours bleeding into each other.
Shaders help replicate the way they were supposed to look and modern CRT filters can be very good.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I used to exclusively use raw pixels since most filters annoyed the shit out of me, until more recent retro styled games and the Retroarch filters. A lot of them do well to enhance the artwork and graphics.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*old games

And yeah, when possible. Decent CRT filters look better, hands-down, and I'm not even making that claim from an intent or accuracy angle.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever a game has filter options like that I try them all out and pick whichever I like best on a game by game basis. Often that means the scanlines but not always.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Wanting raw pixels from your classic games is like wanting raw chicken in your cobb salad.
You'll die of salmonella poisoning and you'll deserve it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Only if there is a really good trinitron filter, like this one I use for saturn games in mednafen:

I get that it's going for the aperture grille look - but that doesn't look anything like a Trinitron, the active colour should be so bright to make the others more or less invisible. That said I don't even understand what kind of Trinitron that filter is going for as there are no scanlines either - so I guess maybe it's going for a hi-res VGA CRT?

347d62295a98fe1082d14b846660a618cf8ae1c1.jpeg

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
A good CRT filter/scanlines are essential to a retro experience, I believe.

That being said, the implementation varies widely among retro collections in regards to quality, and few are as good as the options available in say... RetroArch.

I love being able to take all the NeoGEO/SEGA games I've purchased and use them with crt-royale-kurozumi tho. The end results is just beautiful.
IS it true Kurozumi only works fine for 4K displays?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't, but that's mainly because I've not really found a filter that I think looks decent

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
No, it makes it look tacky. I try to play retro games on my actual CRT whenever possible, but for the ones I play on modern consoles, I want them pixels as sharp as they can be.