• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
I fake like I press the button for Premium but quickly smash that Basic button before my car notices. Placebo effect baby.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use premium, because that's the manufacturer recommended fuel for my vehicle. I wouldn't use it otherwise, cause it's significantly more expensive than regular.

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I added a lot of stickers to it like "NOS" "SPARCO" and those little bullet hole ones so I figured I had to.

My engine is turbo charged with a racing chip so I have to to avoid knock.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
I use 95 plus because my car has a turbo and it says on the petrol cap to use 95 or above. I only drive a few thousand miles per year anyway so it's not as if the cost is a big deal.

Always wondered if it really makes a difference.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I run premium because my Beemer demands it. If your car is tuned for a lower octane rating premium ain't gonna do shit.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have two friends who put premium in their cars, even tho the cars use regular unleaded. I've told them many times that they are literally throwing away money and it isn't doing anything better for their cars.

It pisses me off to see them throw money away, it hey it's their money not mine.

Depends on their cars. Modern ECUs on high compression engines can modify timing and perform better with higher octane.

My car says use premium only. I don't.

You really should if you care about maintaining it.

I'm in Arkansas, so I can either buy any gas with ethanol added, or 87 without, I pick the 87 without (I go miles out of my way to find a gas station with the no ethanol option, when necessary). I decided to use non ethanol that after I gummed up my lawnmower the first year we were here using 87 w/ethanol. If it screws up my ancient lawnmower, it's not good enough for any of my cars.

I don't know that that's sound reasoning. Unless your car is ancient too I wouldn't feel the need to go out of your way. Buy Top Tier gas from a big name company and you'll be good.

I run premium because my Beemer demands it. If your car is tuned for a lower octane rating premium ain't gonna do shit.

Again, unless it can adjust itself and make use of it.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes no difference in my car. I'd rather put nitrogen air in my tyres for a few dollars instead.

BeeksElectric

Oct 25, 2017
When I had my Prius a few years ago, I got about 15% better gas mileage on Premium versus Regular, and at the time it was only about 10% more expensive, so it made sense to use Premium. Then something changed where gas stations started charging like 20-30% more for Premium, and that made it make zero sense to go Premium.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, 91 in my GTI because I've never seen 93 before in my life, and the manual told me 91 is the bare minimum.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Probably not a great idea to put 87-octane fuel in a seven-year old M3.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
AaEF5.png
Damn it.

Last car was a '05 WRX, now a mk7 GTI.
I've put 87 in both cars. Once or twice on accident and both out of necessity a few times.
They don't like that.

All cars prior to that got 87 but most were old used hondas and a F150.
They never knew better. /shrug

Edit:
I take that back. I think I put 89 in my '88 LXi. I loved that car.

Last edited:

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
My Toyota 86 specifies 98 RON on the inside of the fuel lid.

My Volvo S60 though just says "unleaded fuel only" on the lid. It's only when you read the manual that it says to run on lower grade if only if if you have to, and not for extended periods. A bit concerning since I doubt too many people read the manual.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason this thread reminded me of the old do you leave your shopping cart in the lot or take it back thread..

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Always have. It's just a cost that comes with having turbocharged cars... which is to say totally worth it to me. Most cars that are noted as 'premium only' will run on lower octane fuel, but will have their timings retarded after some knock has been detected. Any amount of knock is bad, so it's better to just avoid that scenario to begin with. Cars that aren't noted as needing premium usually won't gain much from premium fuel as the ecu's 'optimal' timings will already be very conservative.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Premium electricity.
I'm glad to have ditched gasoline.

Used to use it because the high compression ratio of my old vehicle caused the manufacturer to suggest it.