• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use the ignore thread function

• Yes

Votes: 207 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 189 47.7%

• Total voters

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Nope, i just learn to not respond in threads where I could possibly be warned or banned. I will turn off notifications for a day if i get dogpiled though.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very glad to have the option to remove useless noise threads from the thread listing, especially considering the massive number of stupid "vs" and "hype check" threads on the gaming side.

Thread ignore function hype check!!

Absolutely. And users too. Could you imagine not being able to ignore the Phantom Thief spam?

This too. I've started ignoring motherfuckers left and right, I don't have time for all the petty shit going on in the gaming side.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the time, like 8 - 10 times a day. I wish there was a shortcut on the main forum page so you didn't have to go into the thread.
Thread Ignore is a god-send. I'm using it pretty frequently, mostly on stuff I simply don't give a shit about. Especially speculation threads about games or movies that are not out yet, because nobody knows anything and it's just one step removed from empty fan-fiction. (Smash speculation threads were the worst, just people saying "Goku?? Rayman???" over and over) Also, with this forum's obsession with Marvel movies and people making threads about completely random shower-thoughts about them or the 10000th argument about Thanos or whatever the fuck, I can just hit Ignore and not have to see them again.

I wish I could set filters to automatically ignore threads on certain keywords.

Also, I wish there was a way to hide threads without having to enter them, would be especially useful for leak threads where I don't want to get spoiled on the movie/game/show and I don't want to risk accidentally clicking on it.
There's a Greasemonkey script that let's you ignore threads by clicking on an X next to it. It will only work on Desktop though (your ignored threads won't transfer to mobile). I had it installed from before there was an official ignore thread option.

My thread-hiding script was updated a while back to also invoke the server-side ignore function, meaning you CAN ignore directly from the main thread listing, and those threads will also be hidden on mobile as well, since the ignore action is saved by the server.

Unfortunately, hiding by keyword still only works on desktop as that doesn't save those ignores server-side. I actually could make it do that but it would have some potentially unwanted side effects.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/by-popular-demand-the-return-of-hide-forum-threads.35590/

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can we get an advanced feature that automatically ignores anything with WWE, a wrestler's name, or anything sounding remotely like anime? I'll pay money.

Oct 25, 2017
My thread-hiding script was updated a while back to also invoke the server-side ignore function, meaning you CAN ignore directly from the main thread listing, and those threads will also be hidden on mobile as well, since the ignore action is saved by the server.

Unfortunately, hiding by keyword still only works on desktop as that doesn't save those ignores server-side. I actually could make it do that but it would have some potentially unwanted side effects.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/by-popular-demand-the-return-of-hide-forum-threads.35590/

Nice! Thank you for all the hardwork you put into the script btw, you made browsing ERA a lot more fun. :)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, then again I mainly juggle between Watched and Latest, so I don't see the same threads pop up too often.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Not often but it's a very useful feature.
Sometimes I just know a thread is gonna drive me mad so I click it right away, it's a good way to protect my sanity.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How long until someone hits the 1,000,000 ignored thread limit, like they did with the ignore user function?

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
The only time I've used the ignore thread function so far was to hide threads of media that I'm interested in so I'm not tempted to read them for spoilers, and I take them off ignore when I'm done watching.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I abuse JeTmAn 's thread hiding script so thoroughly that the forum appears dead after I go on an ignore-spree. It's fantastic.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
A lot of the threads id ignore are started by the same small group of people so I've had a lot of success just ignoring them.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and quite a lot.

All the time, like 8 - 10 times a day. I wish there was a shortcut on the main forum page so you didn't have to go into the thread.

This would also be quite welcome. And I'd pay for an option akin to Twitter's mute, so I can mute and hide threads that contain certain words in their title - without ever seeing them.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was a word filter to hide topics containing those words altogether. Would make browsing a whole lot less draining. I honestly don't want to see another Trump tweet or sexual assault of the week thread.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Use it a lot. I come here to avoid politics, and unwind, so I tend to use it every time the baboon does something stupid and 15 new threads appear with his name.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have hundreds of ignored threads. These aren't necessarily bad threads, just things that wouldn't interest me.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I never use the feature. I just avoid threads of danger or no interest and don't respond to users trying to get a rise.

ProTip: ignore all the mod accounts and they cant see your posts. never get banned, live forever!

OP
OP

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I never use the feature. I just avoid threads of danger or no interest and don't respond to users trying to get a rise.

ProTip: ignore all the mod accounts and they cant see your posts. never get banned, live forever!

Nope, i just learn to not respond in threads where I could possibly be warned or banned. I will turn off notifications for a day if i get dogpiled though.

What do some of you mean when you say threads with danger?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
of course not, why wouldn't i love seeing the 500 Dragon Ball threads that pop up weekly

Yes, but pretty rare. Usually I just don't enter a thread. There is so much activity here, it will fall back and not be seen again in no time on its own. Also I'm browsing as a guest often, so I'd see them anyway.
But if I feel triggered too hard, I hit ignore.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
No, as much as some topic may be annoying to read. I have to know i'm seeing everything. My mind is strange.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
And I feel kind of bad for the 10 or so threads I have on ignore. It makes me feel angry to hide it and I think it could encourage siloed off users and thinking.
But really, the stuff I have on ignore is because I was tired of seeing these 6-line topic titles for topics I have no interest in.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Sports and TV show threads that I'm not interested in watching. Makes visibility of other topics better, especially ones that might have been pushed down to page 2.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
There's a Greasemonkey script that let's you ignore threads by clicking on an X next to it. It will only work on Desktop though (your ignored threads won't transfer to mobile). I had it installed from before there was an official ignore thread option.

I still use it as it also has a filter option (can block threads based on keywords you set up). Thst only works on desktop and. Or across devices like the built in option though.

In any case, I use both a ton. I don't care to read and discuss news and politics on gaming sites so I hide most of that stuff to declutter the forums for myself and make it easier to find the threads that interest me. In general I just hate these catch all type forum areas vs older forums that had very specific subforums. But I can't find any of those that are gaming focused and still active aside from Reddit and I don't like their format or most communities much. So I use the ignore thread feature to help here and just spend much lesssp time online days.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I don't have enough time to curate things, so i just click on things that look interesting during the 30 mins i have.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, using the addon someone made where you can filter out threads titles containing certain words. If you saw my filter you'd think I'm a crazy person... and maybe I am friendo.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I only ignore threads when they're frustrating me and I can't pull away, but yes I do use the feature.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Rumor/leaks/prediction threads, hype threads, perfect for X console threads, certain community threads, and many more.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I've been using it for a long time now and love the work you've done. Not having to enter a thread to ignore it is a godsend.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I had to ignore the latest Nintendo Direct Carnival of Stupid hype thread, because it's inevitably going to end up a thread full of 1 word posts, the word Slay posted 50 times per page, fake hype, and ultimately just being really toxic when the obviously not going to be announced things are surprisingly not announced.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I don't. I only even have one person ignored and even that was because they tried to liken not caring for bigots with bigotry.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I mean....I just ignore things I don't want to click on. What kind of person literally can't just ignore something? Is it an OCD thing?

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I mean....I just ignore things I don't want to click on. What kind of person literally can't just ignore something? Is it an OCD thing?

As many have said, most of us just use it to declutter the forum and make it easier to find the threads that interest us. Threads you aren't interested in that stay on the front page a long time are just potentially bumping things you would be interested in to the second page or beyond and increasing the chances you miss it.