• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What does "protagonist" mean?

• The main playable character/lead/hero

Votes: 144 92.9%
  • Any of the playable characters

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters
Nov 13, 2017
Here's an even better debate.

ashe-vaan-vaan-218219126.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I mean in general I use protagonist(s) to refer to leading character(s). A work of fiction can have dozens of protagonists.

If identifiable, I'll use main character to refer to a singular character that most of the story is experienced from the PoV of.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I use protagonist. I usually use cast or party member for everyone else.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The protagonist is the main character of the story. A protagonist is one of many characters who are roughly equally co-leads in a work.

For example: Iron Man is the protagonist of Iron Man 3. He is a protagonist of The Avengers.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen someone use protagonist for anything but the main character, though some games can have multiple protagonists.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The first. But some stories have co-protagonists.

...Is this about Wild ARMs from the other thread, OP? :P

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I use it for the lead characters. Like I'd consider both Joel and Ellie to be the protagonist, because Ellie is playable for a while and the game is as much about her journey as it is about Joel's, even if Joel is the framing device.

For an ensemble, like Final Fantasy VII, I'd call Cloud the protagonist because the game is focused on him.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The protagonist doesn't even have to be the character you play as. Your character can be in a supporting role plot-wise.

It's better to not mix the terms, I think.
Protagonist is the lead of the narrative.
Playable characters are the characters the player gets to control.

A character can be both, but these are technically two independent aspects of a character.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There are plenty of characters in games/media, they tend to only have 1 or a few Protagonists. Calling all the main cast of FFIX protagonists (as much as I love them) would be overdoing it a bit. But ultimately it's all splitting hairs.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Vaan is a viewpoint character the same way that Watson is - nobody would argue that Holmes wasn't the protagonist of the novels but they follow Watson.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely the first. You can have multiple playable characters and some or all of them could share the role or protagonist if they're written as equal leads in the story, but there are instances where a playable character will simply be there as just that. Another playable character. Take Kingdom Hearts III for example. Riku is certainly not a protagonist, that role solely belongs to Sora.

Oct 30, 2017
Master Chief, Cortana, and Sgt. Johnson are all protagonists in my opinion. Each has an active role in the games.

Games like Deus Ex and Dishonored, at least with Corvo in the first game, tend to have a single protagonist.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It means the first option, but the answer to the question in the title is that no, I usually don't. I call them the main character or whatever.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
The leading, primary character you play as in the game is the protagonist or hero. I like using the word "protagonist" for some fun alliteration like with Mario, such as "our portly plumber protagonist..."

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do people really use the word deuteragonist? I thought it was just a cool word in technical glossaries that nobody actually uses in real life.
I use it, very helpful for moments like this. I feel like it's fairly self-defining and it's frequently applicable.

Master Chief, Cortana, and Sgt. Johnson are all protagonists in my opinion. Each has an active role in the games.

Games like Deus Ex and Dishonored, at least with Corvo in the first game, tend to have a single protagonist.

MC is the only protagonist there, Cortana is a main character (specifically the deuteragonist), and Johnson is a supporting character.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an even better debate.

ashe-vaan-vaan-218219126.jpg

Vaan, while important for how he impacts Ashe and how his orphaning contextualizes the struggle, simply acts as the player's avatar, because he's the one to whom exposition and explanations are offered.

Ashe is certainly the leading heroine, for all Balthier's talk. It's chiefly her story — just look at the focus of the opening cinematic.

Anyway, for the OP: it depends. Some games have ensembles so evenly important that there's no one protagonist. Others have different leads depending on the act. So "protagonists" can be right, even in that sense.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I use protagonist in the context of a story, not so much a game. Of course, most of the time the protagonist of the story is incidentally the player character.

For instance, the paddle in arkanoid is not a protagonist.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Main character, hate the use of protagonist in video games... when did this start happening as it just seems of someone wanting to give videos games a classier image...

Never heard of anyone referring to the main character as protagonist when growing up. Mario, sonic... are these protagonists or main characters ?? Lol

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main character, hate the use of protagonist in video games... when did this start happening as it just seems of someone wanting to give videos games a classier image...

Never heard of anyone referring to the main character as protagonist when growing up. Mario, sonic... are these protagonists or main characters ?? Lol
You make it sound like "protagonist" is uppity. It's a very simple, basic word in any narrative context. Class isn't really relevant.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017

I read a lot of books so I use protagonist. Also I vaguely remember some narration of stories in tv at the start introducing the main character as a protagonist of the storyl

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

It's the same thing?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could be and I'm not arguing that 😀

I'm just trying to point out when did it start to become more of a term for the main character in a video game rather than main character ?

I just don't use it or like it that's all. Not trying to argue anyone is right or wrong 😀
I don't think the balance of usage has shifted at all, except maybe in proportion to a rise in the number of games coming out with a greater focus on narrative. I guarantee people have been using the term protagonist since games have had stories.

And the word's meaning really isn't ambiguous, or something to argue. It's definitely a right or wrong thing.

Last edited:

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the balance of usage has shifted at all, but perhaps in proportion to a rise in the number of games coming out with a greater focus on narrative. I guarantee people have been using the term protagonist since games have had stories.

And the word's meaning really isn't ambiguous, or something to argue. It's definitely a right or wrong thing.

I think the balance of usage has changed though. At least I never used it as a child or in my teens or even in my 20's, but I could be from a different generation to you. Or culturally from where I'm from (my local set of friends) it just wasn't used. I can't remember what main characters were referred to in video game magazines when I was a kid I can't back this up with facts other then my memory / perception of my past.

Main characters ftw!!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think the balance of usage has changed though. At least I never used it as a child or in my teens or even in my 20's, but I could be from a different generation to you. Or culturally from where I'm from (my local set of friends) it just wasn't used. I can't remember what main characters were referred to in video game magazines when I was a kid I can't back this up with facts other then my memory / perception of my past.

Main characters ftw!!
The main character usually is the protagonist, but not always.

Also games with a focus on narrative have gotten more popular and commonplace since the 90s