• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Yes I know in most states in the US, it's illegal to text while driving and it's frowned upon by most people. When I got my car and license last year, I told myself I would never be one of those idiots who uses their phones while driving, I would never go 5mph over the speed limit, and I would be a safe driver no matter what the situation. It's been a year and a half now, and I still have a clean record.

I find myself using my phone now even though I know it's a horrible habit to have. I know y'all are going to judge me, but I surf the web while driving,m and sometimes even watch Netflix or Hulu. I know it's a dangerous habit, but it's so hard to break and I find driving boring now. What tips do you guys have to stop yourself from using your phone?

The laws in Louisiana are weird. Texting and driving is illegal, but phone usage is ok unless you're in a school zone.

There is no handheld cell phone prohibition for drivers except that school bus drivers and novice drivers in Louisiana -- drivers under the age of 18 -- or drivers with a learner's permit, are prohibited from using cell phones (handheld or hands-free) while driving.

New drivers with "learner's" or "intermediate" licenses are prohibited from using cell phones while driving in Louisiana. The maximum fine for new drivers who violate the cell phone law is $175.

Louisiana also has a statewide ban on the use of wireless devices for writing, sending, or reading text-based communications while driving, regardless of age.

If you're driving through a school zone during posted hours, it is against the law to use your cell phone or other mobile device for any reason, including:

• Making a phone call.
  • Texting.
  • Social networking.
The only exceptions to this rule are if:

• You need to report an emergency (including traffic hazards or accidents).
  • Your personal safety is at risk.
  • You need to report or avert a criminal act against someone (including yourself).
  • You are legally parked.
  • You operate an emergency vehicle and must use your cell phone as part of your job.
If you are caught illegally using your cell phone in a school zone, you will be charged with a moving violation. The fine for a first offense is $175 and any second or subsequent offenses carry a fine of up to $500.
DMV

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Illegal or not, don't do it. You'd be better off getting hammered and driving because then at least your eyes are on the road.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why don't you just find stuff to listen to instead? It'd be much safer for you and other people on the road.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Not when I'm actually moving rhe car because I don't want to fucking die. At red lights sure.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He who cannot learn the easy way, will learn the hard way. Come on dude, you'll regret it if you end until hurting someone because of your irresponsibly.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reading title: "yeah, when I'm going super slow or am at a stop I'll check my phone or send a quick text"

*OP says they watch Hulu and Netflix while driving*

wtf OP stop

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I played Advanced Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 every day while driving to my job at FedEx, and look at me now.

Kilgore Trout

Oct 25, 2017
Browsing the web and driving? Wtf?

I just use my phone to play music. And I usually just select something before I hit the road and let it play.

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
I hope you're not for real.

Beyond dumb.

I hope this haunts your thoughts:

rude-carrot1.jpg

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Tips? Install the no texting when going faster than 20mph app on your phone.

Can't find that on the AppStore, but I see that Apple has a do not disturb while driving mode now. Will enable that!

How the fuck can you drive and watch Netflix at the same time?

I have my phone hooked up to Blutooth, or AUX, then prop it up on the dashboard. That way eyes are forward and side-glances over when not in congested areas. In the country, so not a lot of people on the highway or back roads.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
i might read/answer texts at a traffic light, but never when driving. but i wouldn't do it when driving, thats fucking dangerous.

Even before i had a car with Bluetooth i didnt use my phone when driving, but now i can just press a button on the wheel to change songs or answer calls. but never hold my phone when driving.
I think distracted drivers are just as dangerous than drink drivers.

If i found out a close friend of family member watched netflix while driving i would hit them.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find that on the AppStore, but I see that Apple has a do not disturb while driving mode now. Will enable that!

I have my phone hooked up to Blutooth, or AUX, then prop it up on the dashboard. That way eyes are forward and side-glances over when not in congested areas. In the country, so not a lot of people on the highway or back roads.
Please stop! Jesus Christ

Oct 25, 2017

That's a good way to lose focus and end up driving into a pole or something

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Dude I don't even look at my passengers when driving. But I do text at red lights, but I've got CarPlay for everything else soooo- quit watching fucking Netflix while driving

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had Waze open, and occasionally glance at it to make sure I'm going the right way. That's it. But I'm a Lyft driver and have it in a holder thingy.

Oct 25, 2017
You're about to recieve the full wrath of Era, and rightly so.

What if you hit and killed a fucking child while you were watching fucking Masterchef on your phone. Why the fuck on earth would you be watching shit while you drive?!

There are podcasts, audiobooks, news, YouTube Red playlists with offscreen listening, hell you could load up an article and have speech read it to you. Seriously, there are so many options, why the hell is watching something you would actually do over all the other safe options.

Last edited:

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sometimes I have Google Maps going if I'm heading somewhere I'm not familiar with and that involves glancing at the screen once in a while.

But watching fucking television? Get your priorities together dude. You want to die watching Firefly for the 199th time?

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

Please stop! Jesus Christ

I seriously am trying! I know it's a stupid and dangerous habit. I don't do it when my friends are in the car. Only when I'm by myself. Yes I know it's still stupid and bad to do.

I hope you're not for real.

Beyond dumb.

I hope this haunts your thoughts:

rude-carrot1.jpg

What in tarnation is that?! A carrot?

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
google maps is the only thing I have open when I drive, but like I put the directions on and everything before I leave parked if that count

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swipe right on google music app, thats about it.

Also, when op Inevitably dies from being a moron, hopefully he/she goes alone instead of taking out some poor family. You are maybe a notch or two below drunk driver on the piece-o-shit meter.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
This is worse than drunk driving. You are an accident waiting to happen. At least the drunk drivers have the incredibly lame excuse (that does not excuse them of their actions at all) of being, you know, intoxicated while you cannot look away from a tiny screen.

Listen to a podcast or something. Put down that phone. It is not worth it.

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I know in most states in the US, it's illegal to text while driving and it's frowned upon by most people. When I got my car and license last year, I told myself I would never be one of those idiots who uses their phones while driving, I would never go 5mph over the speed limit, and I would be a safe driver no matter what the situation. It's been a year and a half now, and I still have a clean record.

I find myself using my phone now even though I know it's a horrible habit to have. I know y'all are going to judge me, but I surf the web while driving,m and sometimes even watch Netflix or Hulu. I know it's a dangerous habit, but it's so hard to break and I find driving boring now.

God-damned fucking Netflix??? Are you insane OP? Of course we're gonna judge you.

80-90% of my time driving I'm with my 3yr old son and my wife and You think driving is "boring" so your entitled ass thinks its ok to endanger the life of my family? I don't wanna get banned, so I won't use the much harsher words that are running through my mind right now...I hope your car gets towed and your license taken away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Steven Universe are you driving right now cause if so put the phone down you madman

Oh no, I'm at work right now, haha. I actually only picked my phone up once on my way here. Once is still bad, but I didn't use it like I normally do.

its not heroin. just dont do it

Oh yea, it's no where close to anything like a drug addiction. Just one of those minor personal addictions. I agree with you! Just gotta keep telling myself no.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, please stop OP. Distracted driving really pisses me off, needlessly endangers the lives of everyone on the road and is about as selfishly unsafe as drunk driving.

My dad used to do it a lot and years of hounding him has finally made stop, thankfully. It had me seriously worried.

Oct 25, 2017
This is worse than drunk driving. You are an accident waiting to happen. At least the drunk drivers have the incredibly lame excuse (that does not excuse them of their actions at all) of being, you know, intoxicated while you cannot look away from a tiny screen.

Listen to a podcast or something. Put down that phone. It is not worth it.
Drunk drivers at least are looking at the road. An intoxicated human with only a percent of functioning brain matter and hand-eye coordination is still driving safer than the OP. Think about that.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. I find it too difficult to drive, text and knit at the same time.

For god's sake OP, cut that shit out NOW. You've no idea how much your concentration is impacted and how dangerous your actions are; how easily you could drift out of your lane or run a red light. You want to risk your own life? Take up smoking or drugs or something. Don't do what you're doing and risk the lives of all the poor souls who have to share the road with you.

Your actions are as bad as a drink driver. No ifs or buts. Stick your phone in the boot if you can't demonstrate some basic self discipline, or preferably don't drive altogether.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you don't live anywhere near me. Completely disregarding your life and the lives of others because "driving is boring" is crazy. If you can't concentrate on the road and your surroundings you probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Personally, at most I'll check a call or text message at a stop light. I don't respond until I'm parked, won't even talk on the phone while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.