• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well, do you?

• Yep! I want to suplex these zombies.

• No. I prefer the minimalist old school system.

• Pre-order Resident Evil 2!

Results are only viewable after voting.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
With Resident Evil's recent emphasis on horror, it took away some of the defining characteristics of the Action RE's: the melee attacks. And with the remake of Resident Evil 2 running on the RE Engine -- which also hosted RE7, a game with almost no Melee attacks apart from its DLC -- it was expected that melee attacks wouldn't return. Especially since the stun-and-kick formula takes away from the suspense and fear the game's atmosphere wants to instill in you, naturally.

However, with the recent demos of RE2, it got me thinking how an action-style RE melee attack would look like running on this magnificent engine...

From the recent demo, here's Ada breaking a zombie's neck then punching the shit out of them after:
giphy.gif

Can you imagine what HUNK's Neckbreaker, Jill's Cartwheel Kick, Ada's Fan Kick or Leon's Suplex would look like running on an engine like this? Do you want Melee attacks back or do you enjoy the current state of them being limited to cinematic and break-free situations?

Oct 25, 2017
Shooting a weak point and then using a melee finisher adds soooo much to the gameplay.

I don't mind if RE2 specifically doesn't have it, but I hope they come back in the next mainline game.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I would rather it be how it is in RE2make

That said even if we continue in the RE7/RE2 trajectory I wouldn't mind certain characters getting more melee movesets...ala Chris' punch on Not a Hero

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I think RE4's system but with slightly more realistic melee attacks. Like, I would have had characters find and hold onto a practical Melee ( lead pipe, police baton, hatchet etc) and when they stagger the enemy they can button prompt a hard melee blow to the enemies head, with a 25% chance of head crackin. So it would ultimately be as effective and fun as RE4, while still falling in line with the slightly more grounded combat of RE2 REmake.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I dunno if melees would work well in a slow-paced RE game like RE2 remake, but I do know that I want another acton RE game with a focus on melees. I miss mercenaries mode.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
If it's a last line of defense, like when a zombie has grabbed you. TLoU actually had a pretty good system for this, that I think would work pretty well in an older style RE: limited amount of melee escapes based on a particular item. Works well with a more resource focused style of game IMO.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I like the RE 4 and 5 aproach. 1 button for knife as melee and moves triggered by actions (ie, shoot in the face or knees than action button to melee)

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like melee in RE, but it needs to be implemented more like RE4 and 5 (and 7's dlc) than it is in RE6, where it's more for tactical splash damage and ammo saving than just something to spam on each and every enemy for a time bonus.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
If it's a last line of defense, like when a zombie has grabbed you. TLoU actually had a pretty good system for this, that I think would work pretty well in an older style RE: limited amount of melee escapes based on a particular item. Works well with a more resource focused style of game IMO.
pretty much what's in RE2 yeah? With the return of defense items like daggers and grenades

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, do you mean the opposite? BC melee attacks in RE4-6 make you invincible. I would actually LOVE if melee attacks weren't invincible, that would make for an awesome balance IMO. Furisco
One way of adding melee attacks to a survival horror RE is to remove their iframes and make you use them strategically instead of spamming it left and right.

I'd actually love to see them trying it, could be a lot of fun.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Sure, I guess? It's fun, and it fits the camp tone.

But really, I want a beat-em-up that plays like Resident Evil. RE4-6 built and refined a clever, intense design for modern beat-em-up play in 3D, but because they're entries in a horror shooter franchise they couldn't go all the way, and the gestalt design of those games was increasingly messy and confused. I'd love to see the RE6 melee model spun off into its own franchise, like Devil May Cry spun off from an RE4 prototype.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Really depends on the game.
action movie RE? Hell yes
Survival Horror RE? Not so much.
Any enemy loses their ability to intimidate you if you can fucking suplex them.

I'd like melee if it wasn't almost guaranteed that I'd take a hit whenever I use it.
Maybe I just need to gitgud

the melee moves in 4 are so absurdly safe. Ganados cannot hurt Leon through his shield of big dick suplex energy

OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Nah I prefer Brawl attacks
I'm more of an Ultimate gal myself!

So ya'll just want RE5 and 6 again, huh?
454708.jpg

I dunno if melees would work well in a slow-paced RE game like RE2 remake, but I do know that I want another acton RE game with a focus on melees. I miss mercenaries mode.
I honestly wouldn't label RE2 as slow-paced per se. It's definitely slower than RE4-6 but it's much more upbeat than RE7 -- in combat at least, there's a lot of running and shooting and dodging and breaking free.

I agree on the mercs part, I'm devastated that it's confirmed to not be back here. :(

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not pre-ordering Resident Evil 2! Gimme that big price drop down the line!

Also, yes, suplex all of the zombies.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
I want remakes of Resident Evil games that mirror Resident Evil [GC], and the same goes for Resident Evil sequels.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDK, about a suplex... I wouldn't mind a sensible punch or kick though. I think the mood they got going with REmake2 wouldn't jive with WCW ring moves.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the RE4 fork of the franchise so yes I would like them to be in. RE2 Remake is trying to go back to the more survival horror route and that's cool to but I love how the melee moves gave a bit extra personality and added an extra layer to the gameplay for each character.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
No. Especially not powerful melee as it would break the point of resource management if you can just kick the shit out of everything with no ammo.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the melee combat only makes sense when you're making a bombastic action game. Even then, I'm hitting a point now where I'm finding myself kind of sick of that combat flow. I think Doom actually does the RE-style melee combat better because it keeps the flow of combat fast largely due to every melee attack in Doom being a finishing blow and due to most of the animations just being much faster. AND EVEN THAT is a mechanic I don't love.

The "run up to the enemy and press the corresponding button that appears onscreen" feels like very PS2-era game design to me. Essentially it feels like a vestige of early context sensitive game design and Capcom's use of that in the Action RE games is something I've just grown really tired of. I don't hate it but Capcom putting out RE7 made me realize just how tired and old Action style RE games were starting to feel. Capcom putting that style of RE on the shelf for awhile (until they have something truly new and fun to bring to it) feels like the right move to me.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Make Sense that RE 2 Remake and RE 7 Main did't have Melee Attack since It's First times that Character met B.O.W.s

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It doesn't even have to be the RE4-6 kind of melee. It could be toned down to where it's only good for staggering versus killing enemies outright. You know, MGS5 style CQC that can only be used if you stagger an enemy, but their heads don't explode.

Hunk can get the RE6 style melee because he's Hunk, but everyone else should be able to punch, kick, and push, but still feel vulnerable doing it.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I shouldn't be surprised by the poll results and some of the preferences here since RE4, 5, and 6 are the the top 3 top-selling games in the RE franchise.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe find a sweet spot between flailing around with a knife and doing izuna drops on zombies. Engaging at close range should be risky, but doable.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to do it in say RE3make... melee would have to be realistic and it would have to be set up by a dodge-counter or precision shot to stagger. I would give Jill a basic dodge ability you could use to counter an enemy attack (ala RE6) but it would be a tighter window and get tighter with each successive attempt. I might even let her grapple/push off human zombies that are countered or staggered. Most important though... NO INVINCIBILITY during melee. You can get interrupted or damaged by mobs. I'd also make the basic zombie more aggressive for balance.

I think this would be a good compromise and skill based but hard to abuse. That would be my rough draft anyway.