• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well, do you?

• Yep! I want to suplex these zombies.

• No. I prefer the minimalist old school system.

• Pre-order Resident Evil 2!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

Can't have a good Mercenaries mode without them, and that's become my favourite part of the RE games. RE6 is glorious, but it could be even better. I basically want a playable version of this.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
No. Evil Within 2 handled this perfectly. I also hate that RE4-6 game loop of headshot, roundhouse kick, headshot, roundhouse kick blargggh

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Because "oh no I am out of ammo better not try anything when a zombie is going for me" makes sense

If they want characters to be rather defenseless the environment should be much more interactive. Picking up objects in the environment and using them as makeshift melee weapons or throwables, push over things to block a path etc, be more mobile and jump on top a table to get away.

Yes I absolutely want them back and I hope Re3 will have a much more capable Jill in terms of mobility and combat.
picgifs-resident-evil-3-nemesis-3265340.gif

2640692-tumblr_m6ys1elkkc1rsqsqeo1_500.gif

If she was allowed to do that in classic Re there is no reason why she shouldn't be able to Re6 roll out of the way and defend herself better in general
Resident Evil Revelations 2 has the perfect dodge. It is so functional but not too generous. Definitely it would be handy for Jill to have a similar dodge in RE3 REmake

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be in favor of melee attacks and I think they should be very potent on humanoid zombies but useless on large bioweapons but for larger bioweapons where punches, kicks or knife stabs/slashes are useless, there should be higher tier melee weapons like crowbars, sledgehammers, bats and axes. However if they went this route, I think RE purists would see the game as losing its identity and more so resembling The Last of Us.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
IMO there should only be melee for downed enemies (finisher style) and ones that have grabbed you, you know, so you can get them off. I mean, realistically speaking, unless you're a professional fighter of some sort, I don't think you're going to go up to an undead creature who's trying to eat you and fight it without weaponry. If it's downed and you can smash its head, you probably would regardless, and if it grabs you you're going to try and fight it off.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. By Melee attacks I mean I want each character to have Smash, neutral B, side B, up B and down B.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the context, implementation, and tone of the game. If it's a more action oriented RE game, then absolutely. I'm fine with either style of game so long as it's good.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Since Leon and Claire are (mostly) ordinary people in an extraordinary circumstance in REmake2, I guess it makes sense they're not at the superhero levels they are later in life. I do wish they could at least stomp on a downed zombie's head and pick up limited use stuff from the environment, though.

Either way, I'm just trusting that Capcom isn't done with Action-evil just yet. I'll be Shining Wizarding zombies again, soon enough...

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I want everything. I want suplexes, QTAs, and the grab counter system from the Chronicles games where Billy fucking Coen does a dropkick and lands on his feet.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
All options on the poll are lousy. Something in the middle, where throwing a punch or kick toward a zombie would be more than sufficient. It always seemed weird that all characters in games with zombies couldn't even throw weak punches or pushes if they didn't have firearms or melee weapons.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Yes.

I don't understand the hangup here. If you're not into REmake or its Ilk then you're into the action stuff and RE4 nailed the balance between unsettlingly horrific settings and pure carnage. The game oozed atmosphere despite its concessions to comical 80's and 90' cheese. Suplexing Ganados was great in its ridiculousness.

Melee attacks are part of the series' evolution. They should remain. Also, they're just fun to pull off, and satisfying to watch. You design a game around that and you're good.

Oct 27, 2017
So ya'll just want RE5 and 6 again, huh?

4 originated them.

I know people like to sling shit at 5 (which sucked) and especially 6 (which was awesome) but most of the stuff I see people complain about is just a natural progression of what was already in 4, yet 4 is beloved as a "perfect game" or some such.

For a lot of series purists out there 4 wasn't exactly an instant hit either considering it changed everything.

Now I'll get off my high horse and say that I voted for preordering RE2

Hell yes. Best part of RE7 hands down.

Though Not A Hero was kickass too. And in general the last 3rd of the game when it goes full on old school RE balls out schlock crazy.

Last edited:

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
4 originated them.

I know people like to sling shit at 5 (which sucked) and especially 6 (which was awesome) but most of the stuff I see people complain about is just a natural progression of what was already in 4.

For a lot of series purists out there 4 wasn't exactly an instant hit either.

Fine, 4, 5, and 6. I don't particularly hold any love for RE4 but I knew people would probably throw a fit if I threw any shade at it.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yes and no.

I always thought it was silly that you could only defend yourself with guns or a knife. Like, are the S.T.A.R.S recruits not trained in hand-to-hand combat at all? The zombies are dumb, slow and clumsy. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to punch, kick or shove them around.

But I could also see being able to use melee attacks rendering enemies like zombies almost a non-obstacle rather than a legit menace to be feared.

Oct 27, 2017
Fine, 4, 5, and 6. I don't particularly hold any love for RE4 but I knew people would probably throw a fit if I threw any shade at it.

No please, throw shade at it because I don't think it's some sacred gem personally. I think it starts well and gets progressively more boring and stupid as it goes.

But then again my favorite Resident Evil game is Code Veronica X and that makes me a pariah anyway

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No please, throw shade at it because I don't think it's some sacred gem personally. I think it starts well and gets progressively more boring and stupid as it goes.

But then again my favorite Resident Evil game is Code Veronica X and that makes me a pariah anyway

Yeah RE4 becomes really stupid and you're right as it progresses it exhibits more and more traits antithetical to what I consider the soul of the franchise. That REmake 2 already shows trace signs of RE4 is something that nibbles at me, but I don't want to make a stink of it. Yet. That apparently so many people want suplexes and flying roundhouses in this would bother me more if I weren't so resigned about it all.

Your fave is CVX? I respect that. That's CV but with more Wesker, iirc?

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Resi 1 had melee attacks so I don't get the question. Or is the question if the Resi 2 remake needs a dedicated melee button?

I would say yes, but make using melee risky as it was in the old titles.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the type of RE game they're making. I rather they don't have melee moves in the horror RE games, but just make another action RE game with those attacks.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I was always in a hard disbelief or "okay, if I have a shotgun or a gun, at least there should be an emergency move to shove a zombie away with the high risk of getting bitten or something". And I know there was a knife but it was useless after RE1.

But I do like the emergency daggers from REMake, those were a lifesaver.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd be okay with some minimal melee. But the ridiculous supplex shit can stay the fuck away

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
I loved melee in RE4 and RE5 (and even in RE6). I would love it if RE5's melee came back since it had my favourite combat system in the series.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
When they remake RE4 yes, I want to suplex and kick my way through los plagas infested hordes.

With RE2R and the potential RE3R, I think it should stay closer to the classic style of only really using knives and such for melee combat.

RE4 was a nice inclusion with context sensitive melee, but limited. RE5 made it so that almost any bull can lead to melee. Probably the best iteration in my opinion. RE6 goes overboard in my opinion, but works well for the context of that game. If there is a potential RE game in the style of the 4-6 trilogy. I hope it's akin to 5. A nice medium of plenty of melee options, but not over complicated with the levels of stun of RE6.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? There's no mainline game without melee so I really don't get the question. How extensive those melee attacks are depends on the tone of the individual game.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mavpl8f7Eg1rh2wq8o1_250.gif

tumblr_mavpl8f7Eg1rh2wq8o9_250.gif

tumblr_mavpl8f7Eg1rh2wq8o4_250.gif

tumblr_oq2bh6q1Y51r9uwdao2_r1_500.gif

Watched Damnation again for the first time in a while. I think it's the best of the three CG movies.