• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well, do you?

• Yep! I want to suplex these zombies.

• No. I prefer the minimalist old school system.

• Pre-order Resident Evil 2!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Revelations 2 has melee attacks and, as far as I remember, the main characters fight with pretty grounded moves, nothing absurd.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
They don't have to be pulling moves like they're Tekken characters, but yeah, I like Resident Evil with melee attacks.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Honestly surprised the "Yes" vote is leading, thought most Resident Evil fans preferred the old school vibe. I guess we know why Capcom shifted focus for RE4-6 to that trash action.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Not in REmake I don't but for future games yeah. No need to abandon action RE, RE4 is still the best in the series.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly surprised the "Yes" vote is leading, thought most Resident Evil fans preferred the old school vibe. I guess we know why Capcom shifted focus for RE4-6 to that trash action.

You say that as if there wasn't a legion of fans getting super hyped when playing Joe in RE7.

Especially when he finds the gauntlet.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It feels really weird to not be able to defend yourself at all without a gun so.. yeah. I want them back.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
I like the knives that have durability mechanic, if that counts as melee. I'm not a fan of round house kicks or suplexes though lol.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The "NO" camp is catching up.... Let's prove them wrong you guys!

tumblr_oj63u4m6Qc1sfv573o1_400.gif

hunk_neck_breaker_by_thewellofdukington-d5k7lk6.gif

GF2b.gif

CrMIhQM.gif

That's great in those games. The REmake of RE2 isn't one of those games. It's a game about ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Ordinary people wouldn't cartwheel kick a zombie in the head. Don't get me wrong, it's a fucking rad move but one that totally clashes with the tone of what the RE2 remake is going for. I'm sure by the time they get around to remaking RE3 Capcom will be back into cartwheel kicking zombies in the head mode. In the meantime, can we just enjoy the rad survival horror game we're getting real soon?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No.
Fuck. No.

The only melee animations I want are those canned into the self defense response from a zombie first grappling the protagonists. Put the dagger system from REmake in, sure, but I don't want to see a rookie cop or a hardened woman in search of her brother shooting zombies in weak spots to initiate some gratuitous, genre-defying mechanic that flies in the face of the words 'survival horror'.

badmoviefan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I basically don't want to play Resident Evil's that don't have the controls of RE4. I enjoy Zero, 1, 2, 3, but not nearly as much as I enjoy 4, 5, 6 and Revelations.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I like the REmake style self defense items, fits into the survival/horror genre better than a suplex.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want melee attacks unless it's a suplex. In fact remove guns and have a suplex only game.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Melee combat against something that is meant to infect you upon being bitten... makes sense, get nice & close.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Melee combat against something that is meant to infect you upon being bitten... makes sense, get nice & close.

Because "oh no I am out of ammo better not try anything when a zombie is going for me" makes sense

If they want characters to be rather defenseless the environment should be much more interactive. Picking up objects in the environment and using them as makeshift melee weapons or throwables, push over things to block a path etc, be more mobile and jump on top a table to get away.

Yes I absolutely want them back and I hope Re3 will have a much more capable Jill in terms of mobility and combat.
picgifs-resident-evil-3-nemesis-3265340.gif

2640692-tumblr_m6ys1elkkc1rsqsqeo1_500.gif

If she was allowed to do that in classic Re there is no reason why she shouldn't be able to Re6 roll out of the way and defend herself better in general

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Because "oh no I am out of ammo better not try anything when a zombie is going for me" makes sense

If they want characters to be rather defenseless the environment should be much more interactive. Picking up objects in the environment and using them as makeshift melee weapons or throwables, push over things to block a path etc, be more mobile and jump on top a table to get away.

Yes I absolutely want them back and I hope Re3 will have a much more capable Jill in terms of mobility and combat.
picgifs-resident-evil-3-nemesis-3265340.gif

2640692-tumblr_m6ys1elkkc1rsqsqeo1_500.gif

If she was allowed to do that in classic Re there is no reason why she shouldn't be able to Re6 roll out of the way and defend herself better in general

Jill in RE3 was the pinnacle of survival horror + action.

OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
That's great in those games. The REmake of RE2 isn't one of those games. It's a game about ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Ordinary people wouldn't cartwheel kick a zombie in the head. Don't get me wrong, it's a fucking rad move but one that totally clashes with the tone of what the RE2 remake is going for. I'm sure by the time they get around to remaking RE3 Capcom will be back into cartwheel kicking zombies in the head mode. In the meantime, can we just enjoy the rad survival horror game we're getting real soon?

Oh that's totally fair. People not wanting Melees back are as valid as the people that do want them back. I think it's really hard to hone in RE in one genre anyways; it has forked and branched off too far that it has a substantial fanbase for different iterations of the series that are on entirely different genre-spectrums.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
Fuck. No.

The only melee animations I want are those canned into the self defense response from a zombie first grappling the protagonists. Put the dagger system from REmake in, sure, but I don't want to see a rookie cop or a hardened woman in search of her brother shooting zombies in weak spots to initiate some gratuitous, genre-defying mechanic that flies in the face of the words 'survival horror'.
Another zombie would bite your leg while you were trying to get off the ground
And why should things be realistic in my videogame ?

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
What's not realistic about suplexes ?

Only focusing on the "realism" aspect and nothing else: It is not a move used in actual real-life life-or-death hand -to-hand combat, it exist in professional wresting because it looks cool, not because it is remotely effective in a real fight.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Only focusing on the "realism" aspect and nothing else: It is not a move used in actual real-life life-or-death hand -to-hand combat, it exist in professional wresting because it looks cool, not because it is remotely effective in a real fight.

I dunno, slamming a squishy rotting zombie head into the ground with the whole weight of its body adding to the force behind the suplex seems pretty effective especially when a zombie isn't going to react to the suplex like a normal person would to minimize the damage from it. Of course there would be more ideal moves to use but purely in terms of its capabilities of taking out a zombie it seems pretty effective

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think melee combat should be a crutch for helping players when they take damage, but not something a player who is doing well and avoiding the enemies properly should be able to use.

The early Resident Evil games are designed specifically around managing and conserving resources and if players have a "free" melee combat option it will dilute part of what makes the game special.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on it God Hand with zombies would be pretty awesome. Maybe not as over the top as kicking them into the stratosphere but a survival horror beat'em up.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Voted no. Only thing that could change my mind would be a Mike Tyson mode where you can bite off zombies' ears.

Oct 25, 2017
Shooting a weak point and then using a melee finisher adds soooo much to the gameplay.

I don't mind if RE2 specifically doesn't have it, but I hope they come back in the next mainline game.
My thoughts exactly. Rewarding targeted shots with melee opportunities is a fantastic hook and I do not give a shit if it compromises the "horror" or whatever.

Remake2 has it's own cool gory hit reaction tech and I'm fine with it not having melee, but I don't think some more grounded melee attacks (read: not suplexes) would have hurt it. Imagine Leon frantically smashing a zombie's head against the wall in a panic, or doing a clumsy step kick to their midsection to create distance. It would be immensely satisfying without compromising the tone and would even reinforce his character as a rookie who is just trying to rise to the occasion rather than a trained super agent.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Like desperation knife attacks? Sure. Stunning a zombie and then a strong melee attack? Yeah, that's Ok. Suplexing zombies ala RE6? No, not at all.