• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the mainline Zelda games should let you customize a protagonist?

• Yes

Votes: 125 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 418 52.6%
  • No, but they should let other characters be playable besides Link

Votes: 237 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 1.9%

• Total voters

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Just more fashion choices furthering what BotW did.

If the artists had a few designs for Links hair that they struggled to choose from I'd also be happy to have a barber allowing those choices at some town later in the game - maybe a bonus to a Tarrytown like quest.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous to sell the idea that Link is an avatar for the player and not allow for him to be customised further.

Plus that might help to finally get new Zelda characters in Smash.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Which isn't to say Link couldn't be a girl or of color. When you are being reincarnated hundreds of times, you are bound to look different from time to time, after all.
This. I'd be ok with Link of different gender or color but no customizable. I also view Links are reincarnations of the "chosen one".
Maybe in a Zelda game you get to play between two reincarnations, switching gameplay between the two, think of OoT time travel but bigger discrepancy like 500 years, in the current time you control like and in the past you play as Linkle.
Damn that would be cool, I just imagined some time paradox puzzles like moving some objects around in the past to change the rooms layout in the future.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
No but giving us the option to change Link's hairstyle (like the Witcher 3 does with Geralt) would be pretty cool.

Also wouldn't be against more playable characters.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Nope. They're moving away from the avatar character, and should continue to do so. Give Link more and more personality, even if he doesn't talk. More clothes? Sure, but Link should be Link.

But also, I wouldn't mind playing as Zelda in BotW2. And I still want a Sheik or Impa lead spin-off title.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Above all: Breath of the Wild introduced a very varied set of heroes (6, if you count Zelda too) and I really wanted to play as them.

That would be very nice in a future game, more than being able to customize the hero.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Id like customization options similar to the ones in RDR2. Hair, clothes, weapons, horse equipment etc.

I also wouldnt mind playing as an older link, in his 30s-50s.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
No, but I'll never say no to more hair options and costumes and the like.

Give me more of the customizable armor look of BotW, weapons included, and throw in other playable characters too, please.

Even if it's not for the whole game, let us play as Zelda or one of the other major characters.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Just give us more outfits

giphy.gif

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I would like to have at least gender and pronouns choice (and grunts pitch as well).
I don't care for the rest.

I have to play hacked BoTW to enable what i prefer, but most people don't have the technical luxury of doing the same, out of the box customization is better.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
"Link is a defined character look he smiled once in a cutscene and sometimes even looks surprised."

man, such a defined character we can't replace that with a character creator. Just admit its nostalgia clogging your mind.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
No. But I really liked the multiple armour options in BOTW. I feel like the game could lean even more heavily into that in future games.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
No. I think calling Link a self insert is a stretch anymore too. I'm fine with the way BotW handles it.

supervino256

Aug 14, 2019
No. Link is a not so well defined character, for the player to project himself easily onto him, so that the player feels inside the game, rather than playing through an avatar.
If the player consciously creates the avatar from the ground up (like say in Skyrim, or a MMO), it's just not the same thing.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
You can already dress Link up, just give them more clothes and that'd be enough for me.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
No. I want Link, and only Link.

I would rather have all of that in spin offs. And for that Universe in particular, I would rather have those spin off have a fixed character too. Be it Zelda or anyone else.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yes, why not? Link is not really a character so I feel like at this point not letting us customize the character is just a tradition with no actual merit. Give me female or NB Link, give me Links with different skin colors, different body builds and different hairs.... What's the difference? The only point of Link is being a link, so let the character live up to it's original vision.

Voted 'no', but since Link doesn't have the green tunic or is a lefty anymore, Nintendo might as well do it if they feel like it since there's barely anything left of the character anymore.
If all that there was in the first place was a green tunic and being left handed - there wasn't much character to begin with TBH.

Jun 24, 2019
Offer costumes, clothes, hairstyles, sure! But customising Link's physical qualities like the face and body....nope. Overtime, Link has became an established character, making him an avatar would detract what LoZ is.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
100% yes from me. It's the Legend of Zelda, not the Legend of Link.

Yes, why not? Link is not really a character so I feel like at this point not letting us customize the character is just a tradition with no actual merit. Give me female or NB Link, give me Links with different skin colors, different body builds and different hairs.... What's the difference? The only point of Link is being a link, so let the character live up to it's original vision.

If all that there was in the first place was a green tunic and being left handed - there wasn't much character to begin with TBH.

Exactly right.

Link is the player. Link doesn't talk!! There is no Link other than what you ascribe to him and what the narrative dictates. Link's identity isn't the point, it's your actions, your courage. Let Link be whatever the player wants — gender, race, name — and go forth on the quest.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need a character creator, but they should allow Zelda/Sheik to be playable and go all in on the Fashion Zelda aspect.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also love other playable characters but yeah, I'd love character customization. Unless a character's appearance is really important to their character and the plot I always prefer customization.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It's fine having a preset character, Link is iconic nowadays and his design are always on point.
They really need to make him speak though, otherwise we'll get some dumb cutscenes like the one in Breath of the Wild (which, otherwise, would be very good).
Having other playable characters would be fun.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Link as an "Avatar"-character for the player anymore, not since they started to give him (some) actual character, so no.

Adding my vote to more armor/outfit options. And of course Zelda playable is also a thing they should do. From the stuff that has been shown from BotW 2 ... it might be the perfect opportunity to do that.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I think Link is too iconic for that.

But WHAT IF Link had a sibling/friend, and they were completely customizable and you could freely switch between them and Link (and also Zelda why not) in the playable role?

So kind of like a modern Fire Emblem situation.

Goddamit now I'm too attached to this idea.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. There really isn't much "Link" left when you take out those things imo, and not only did BotW take those away, they also took what little personality he had in games like WW and SS and made him almost completely stone-faced during the cutscenes.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'm fine with link as is for those games.

I would enjoy a separate Nintendo adventure game in the vein of The legend of Zelda with a create a character option.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Call me boring but Link should be the protagonist of the series. BotW did well with outfit/weapon variety too.

Spinoffs can be anything though.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
No. Not every game character has to be customisable. I like playing as a predefined character. Nintendo can decide what Link looks like, and I don't mind them changing the appearance at all, but from that point that's the character I want to play as.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Link is a hero reborn, there is no reason that he can't be any skin color or any gender at this point.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty hard no from me. The games need to have more of a uniform look and feel, not less.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Since Link is basically a self insert character anyway, do you want Zelda games to let you create your own character? I could see the argument against it since Link is a pretty iconic design after all.

He is not really since ALTTP though (and I could go as far as it hasnt been a self insert since the original zelda).
Just look at the animations in cutscenes of games like Twilight Princess or Wind Waker, that aint me, though I really like they way he was animated there and reacts to the stuff. Even Ocarina of Time goes that route to show Link having actual personality.
Doesnt matter he doesnt talk, he has a strong similar design shared through all the games, he reacts and animated to stuff, and that animation has its own personality that tells you how he is.
Saying this I wouldnt mind him reincarnating into a female version of him ala doctor who. Or playing as Zelda.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, absolutely. Not only the ability to create a character of my own choosing, but also an experience points system ala Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm OK. changing clothes and armor was fine on BotW. I don't need Zelda to become a cookie-cutter JRPG with a character creator. It's fine if the game tells the unique, specific story of a concrete Link.

Yeah, Link is a blank state character who doesn't have a personality and never talk anyway. His appearance doesn't matter.

I would say just the opposite. What makes Link Link is his appearance. The rest is up to the player.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it but I'm already plenty satisfied with botw as it allowed my link to wear armor in any combo I wanted plus customize the color.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
If anything, I want link to have a personality and react accordingly. Nothing was more boring than Zelda crying and having meltdowns in BOTW while link was staring at her not showing any emotion at all. Ridiculous.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
No, but let us pick outfits for the main character, like BOTW. I'd also like to have gender options or alternative characters to choose from, but make them all "canon".