• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
oh god, no. There's a reason nobody except the US even wastes their time on that crap.

But then, a lot of 'justice system' stuff in the USA is pure crap. However, that's not just the fault of politics.
Here's one that will blow everyone's mind: there is no such thing, and has never been, such a thing as a criminal profiler. Sure, there was that one time -- that one time! -- a police department 'used' a 'medium', but that was due to said person being both suspect and actual killer, as it turned out.
That 'make the profile!' stuff is entirely a television invention that would never happen in reality.

I mean..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Douglas

Jack Crawford (from 'The silence of the lambs') were directly based on Douglas.
And you've also got the brilliant TV-series 'Mindhunter'. Criminal and behavioral profiling absolutely exist.

But yea, a lot of fiction is actually 'fiction', go figure.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Houston really is a third world country. 95% of the Houston and greater Houston area is pretty much uninhabitable. Not to mention our terrible infrastructure and now our annual "floods".
I feel like we live in a different world. Houston has rough areas, but it's a far cry from 95 percent, and much of the greater houston area is fairly affluent.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Hmm, motive fits the bill. Wonder what made him decide 20 years on that it was time to make a move?

I doubt they're going to find him alive.
I buy this. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on the guy already being dead.

Also Houston being third world? It's bad but it's a long ways off from third world. Still the most depressing place I've ever lived, though.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Classic US" ok whatever you say OP

Yeah gun violence is so rare in the US, right?

Oh look you don't have an avatar

Edit:

Fuck that motive. I'm a doctor. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, patients die or have poor outcomes. And now I guess we have to worry about nuts like this thanks to how gun-happy this fucking ass backwards country is :/

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this sounds like a hit. Knew his route, shot him twice in broad daylight seemingly at random, didn't try to rob him after or anything like that.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this sounds like a hit. Knew his route, shot him twice in broad daylight seemingly at random, didn't try to rob him after or anything like that.

It's not a secret that the Bush family despises Trump.

However, this murder may not have something to do with the victim's relation to Bush. Who knows, really.

A man whose mother died during surgery 20 years ago is the suspect in the fatal shooting of a prominent Houston cardiologist who performed the operation, police said Wednesday.

Chief Art Acevedo said the mother of Joseph James Pappas, 62, was a patient of Dr. Mark Hausknecht, who was fatally shot as he rode his bicycle to work at Houston Methodist Hospital on July 20. Police earlier said Pappas was born in 1953.

"It appears a 20-year-old grudge and sadly someone died," Acevedo told reporters.
Acevedo said a tip came in Tuesday after surveillance video released a day before showed the suspect, whom someone said they recognized. Police got a search warrant and went to Pappas' home, but he was not there.
Acevedo said Pappas had made phone calls indicating he was considering suicide. The suspect has not been seen in almost two days.

"This man is dangerous. This man is capable. This man has some skills (with firearms)," he said.
There was evidence at the home linking Pappas to the killing, the chief said. A lot of planning went into the killing, according to Acevedo.

The suspect appeared to own multiple guns, he said.
Looks like this mystery has been solved... hope they catch him soon.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Yeah gun violence is so rare in the US, right?

Oh look you don't have an avatar

Edit:

Fuck that motive. I'm a doctor. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, patients die or have poor outcomes. And now I guess we have to worry about nuts like this thanks to how gun-happy this fucking ass backwards country is :/
Oh look you have an avatar from the star wars prequels, shame.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if he planned this for twenty years? If not, why wait so long?

I think quoting the part that says they are a doctor is really undercutting your point. I mean they're Dr. Maul now, so what? You have just amplified their power.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone with the nutty conspiracy theories from the first few pages should be fucking embarrassed. But only the right believe that stuff, right? Jesus Christ.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
"Now"? Michael Davidson, Harvard cardiothoracic surgeon, was shot and killed in his clinic in 2015 by a deranged man who blamed the doctor's prescription of amiodarone for killing his mother. George Tiller, family practice physician who had the guts to perform abortions in Kansas, was shot twice; once in 1993, then killed in 2009 while at church. I'm sure you've heard at least one of those, if not others.

This sad story is just another example to add to the pile. It's incidents like those above that partly influenced what field I went into and where I practice.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL now he added an A N I M E avatar, why do they all do that? Oh well, to the ignore list with you

"Now"? Michael Davidson, Harvard cardiothoracic surgeon, was shot and killed in his clinic in 2015 by a deranged man who blamed the doctor's prescription of amiodarone for killing his mother. George Tiller, family practice physician who had the guts to perform abortions in Kansas, was shot twice; once in 1993, then killed in 2009 while at church. I'm sure you've heard at least one of those, if not others.

This sad story is just another example to add to the pile. It's incidents like those above that partly influenced what field I went into and where I practice.

True. Thankfully I'm in a non-surgical field but I do still perform some bedside procedures. Will definitely be practicing in the north.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was too strange to be random. Sounds like a hit.
Reading a few posts up. 20 years grudge. Wow.
Hope they catch the shooter.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LOL now he added an A N I M E avatar, why do they all do that? Oh well, to the ignore list with you

Man you sound legit crazy all I said was this is not something normal that happens in the US and clearly this 20 year old grudge target hit is not something you see every day and then you started attacking me. I also went from non avatar to anime just to see if it would get a rise out of you. Congrats guinea pig.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I feel like we live in a different world. Houston has rough areas, but it's a far cry from 95 percent, and much of the greater houston area is fairly affluent.
I commute 30 miles from Houston to the Woodlands. Where would you live once you are north of the Heights, yet south of the Woodlands? That 30 mile stretch of 45 is the definition of dystopian and desolate.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Such a loss. It's either incredibly random or a hit. It really sounds like this was planned.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
072118-ktrk-sketch-doctor-full-img.jpg

Sketch of the shooter.

Gus Frain from Breaking Bad?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's an old incel

This is fucking terrifying and depressing.

Recently, Turkey had a similar bit of news where an unsatisfied guy (his daughter was a patient I think?) hit a doctor on his head with a pavement stone and killed him.

The issue here is more systemic though, to the point where a friend of mine who is studying medicine repeatedly expresses that she doesn't feel safe in her occupation.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Hyperbole much?

95%? Really?
I do love hyperbole, but I stand by my sentiment. Most of Houston and its outlying suburbs are not places most would "choose" to live. Carved out communities like River Oaks, West U, The Woodlands are the exception not the norm. That 30 mile stretch I mentioned previously is the norm.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone with the nutty conspiracy theories from the first few pages should be fucking embarrassed. But only the right believe that stuff, right? Jesus Christ.
A former doctor of a president getting murdered is going to bring up speculation of whether the killing was a hit or not. Not a big deal.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing about this hit is adding up.

What purpose does it serve to kill the doctor of a former US president, especially one who is over 90 years old and has been in and out of hospitals for the past year?

The doctor wasn't robbed, there was apparently no struggle or argument to provoke a reaction, and the murder took place under oddly specific circumstances.
I'm going to guess it's unrelated to HW. Maybe the Doc was having an affair with the shooters partner or something. Because as you say, it makes very little sense for this attack to be a round-a-bout way of targetting HW.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A former doctor of a president getting murdered is going to bring up speculation of whether the killing was a hit or not. Not a big deal.
A DNC voter data director getting murdered is going to bring up speculation of whether the killing was a hit or not. Not a big deal.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills. Did none of y'all read the CNN article? Are y'all just reading the topic title and posting without doing any thread reading? Some of the suggestions here are ridiculous, fuck sake.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
No it's not. Houston might be many things. But a third world country it's not.
If its not a third world country, what is it? I am being sincere. Our infrastructure is miserable, floods are the norm and we have no plan to fix or improve anything. In addition Texas has some of the worst health and education in the country.