• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed everything about this except how it ends. It's fascinating to see how they address both the book and the movie versions of The Shining.

But pushing Jack's fate onto Danny here just doesn't sit right with me.

Billy dying sucked, too.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
This was very good, surprised it hasn't got more buzz

The last 30 minutes rely on nostalgia bait a little bit too much. The ending in general is pretty middling

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Welp,

That was a movie that probably didn't need to be made.

It wasn't terrible but... I mean it didn't earn being a sequel to the kubrik film in any meaningful way

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Also the Shelly Duvall recast actress was fucking terrible. The rest were ok.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really liked this one, a bit tiring in the last act but I really liked how utterly unprepared were the baddies when it came to dealing with the protagonists.

Also, that dark tower reference was the only homage that felt earned.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I loved this movie. It wasn't scary at all, but it kept my attention through the whole thing. The child actress was great and the movie takes time to tell its story instead of rushing through everything. I haven't seen the Shining in over a decade, but this movie made me want to go back and see it.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I had an absolute blast with this movie. I didn't care a lot for
Jack's
re-cast, but everyone else did fantastic. The story was portrayed beautifully!

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
Every movie could be improved with a sexy psychic vampire. I hope everyone gets an oppurtunity to have fun with a role like Rebecca Ferguson did with Rose the Hat.

The astral projection sequence might be my favorite sequence in a movie this year.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Kind of confused by some of the posts/reviews.

I keep hearing people call this a fairly faithful adaptation of the book. I also keep hearing people mention stuff from the first movie, or the Outlook Hotel etc...
The book has nothing to do with the Outlook outside of a few references.
Also curious if a few things happen.

Is Danny still Abra's uncle in this movie? Does that twist still happen? Also, do they go into the bit about Abra predicting/feeling 9/11 as a newborn?
Does she imagine herself as/use Daenarys Targaryen in a psychic/dream trap battle vs Rose? =p

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017

I keep hearing people call this a fairly faithful adaptation of the book. I also keep hearing people mention stuff from the first movie, or the Outlook Hotel etc...

Is Danny still Abra's uncle in this movie? Does that twist still happen? Also, do they go into the bit about Abra predicting/feeling 9/11 as a newborn?
Does she imagine herself as/use Daenarys Targaryen in a psychic/dream trap battle vs Rose? =p
It been praised as an adaptation for it being able to bring the themes of Doctor Sleep to the big screen. Its very much Doctor Sleep's heart and ideas even if they made some changes and tied it to the events of the Kubrick movie.

None of those things are in the movie

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
It been praised as an adaptation for it being able to bring the themes of Doctor Sleep to the big screen. Its very much Doctor Sleep's heart and ideas even if they made some changes and tied it to the events of the Kubrick movie.

None of those things are in the movie

Damn, those are some of my favorite parts of the book.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I liked it a lot. I love the Kubrick version of The Shining, and knew early on that this was never going to feel like a true continuation of that. But it did bridge that film's vision with the sequel book's story in a way that I found compelling. So yeah, consider me a fan.

Loved the villains, the flashbacks to Danny's youth, and the final set piece (which I was apprehensive about, totally.)

Some of the sequences, like Rose doing her projection, were beautifully realized and drawn out a little bit longer than you'd expect from most filmmakers. Felt like they were trying to channel Kubrick in those ways where they could fit it in.

Baseball boy being kidnapped and drained felt satisfactorily unsettling. Though his corpse being later dug up looked too fakey. That arc of traveling to the boy's body and digging it up didn't feel like it served the story.

Like with a lot of King stuff, when characters get into some kind of showdown, it often feels underwhelming and I did feel that way during the gun battle sequence. But it kind of made up for it for the Overlook confrontation which I liked a lot more.

Last edited:

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Rose the Hat is the best character in this movie. She is so well acted.

And my mind keep flashing warhammer 40k while watching this movie.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Way better than it had any right to be. I liked it a lot. Feels good to have a solid King adaptation after suffering through It Ch. 2.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Who would have thought that sequels to The Shining and Blade Runner will be good AND vastly different from original movies...

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ooof I'm a huge Stephen King fan and this movie was okay at best. Story wise it needed to be tightened up and the recasting was awful in every way, just spend the fucking money or don't

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
"If it's so dangerous, why do we need to go to the Overlook?"

"Because it will be dangerous for her too."

*Rose watches blood come out of an elevator and never experiences any sort of danger in the hotel*

The whole climax in/at the Overlook in Doctor Sleep (the book) works because
his dad helps him stop Rose. We don't get that here and we don't get any kind of resolution between Danny and his father. The ending just doesn't work in this movie.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
idk

I could get mad or whatever but it's not even bad enough to illicit any kind of reaction other than a sleepy sigh and a shrug of the shoulders.

It's just a mumbling, bumbling, half-way competent and ultimately entirely useless sequel, and I will never think about it for another second of my life after I fall asleep tonight

But JESUS at some of the dialogue/delivery in this. Seriously.

Oct 26, 2017

I don't consider this remotely faithful to the book.

Oct 28, 2017
I could have been convinced that was Duvall. She was spot on. Initially Nicholson's double had me wondering if he was supposed to be Jack.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
There is a LOT to love about this film. The practical effects were a lot more mesmerizing than most CGI effects. The cast is great for the most part, and I had to blink to make sure the forecasted folks weren't CGI. They were that good.

As for as the plot, I thought they tied up the book and movie versions as best as they could given the circumstances. I wished the bad guys were a bit more competent though. It didn't feel like they were in the business as long as they have.

Overall, it's a solid film and a pleasant surprise at that. 8/10.

PS: I haven't watched It 2 or Pet Semetary, so I'm not sure how it ranks for Stephen King movies this year.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone describe the last 5 minutes of the movie? It got cut from my version.

Our version ended with Abra hearing some kind of phone ringing right after telling her mom everyone was ok in the afterlife. We hear the phone ring she says she'll be down for dinner in a minute, then it weirdly cuts to credits.

May 10, 2018
Can someone describe the last 5 minutes of the movie? It got cut from my version.

Our version ended with Abra hearing some kind of phone ringing right after telling her mom everyone was ok in the afterlife. We hear the phone ring she says she'll be down for dinner in a minute, then it weirdly cuts to credits.
After she tells her mom everyone is ok, Abra see's the woman in the bathtub, walks in and closes the door like how young Dan did in the beginning of the movie.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
We're they trying to say that
Abra's character was directly tied to Mother Abigail in The Stand? Ewan McGregor's character goes out of his way to say that "some of us take a stand" in reference to her at least.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dude was fatter and younger than Jack (from the Shining) with none of his mannerisms. Terrible casting choice.

Thought Duvall's double was perfect.
That's an absolutely thankless role, to be playing Jack. It's one of the most iconic, recognizable characters in cinema. They would have been better off to find a bang-on soundalike, and then just shoot Jack from behind so you didn't see his face. I'm convinced that was a no-win situation

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I was thrown off by the choice to reuse footage from the original movie sometimes and then other times recreate scenes with new actors.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Really loved this movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it especially how it took it's time when it needed to.

Villian lady was ace. Saw the shining a month ago in theaters and this was a great continuation of it.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
So this movie was added to HBO this past Saturday.

I enjoyed it overall. Stephen King stories are like comfort food for me and this hit a lot of the same notes his books and movies are known for.

One aspect I really enjoyed was...

Just how stupid Rose and the True Knot were in pursuing Abra for a big meal. They risked so much and not a single time did they get the upper hand - Abra was so powerful (and Danny as well) that she was essentially tortured in some way every time she interacted with them. She fell for literally every single trap that was sprung for her - and for whatever reason I really enjoyed seeing Abra's power level play out with no inhibitors.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty solid adaptation. Though I did not care for the ending.

Plus it didn't have one of my favorite moments from the book when
Jack comes back to help Danny
. I mean, it totally makes sense for that not to be in this version, but that moment brought me to tears in the book.