• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4pm here on the West coast. (Well, Arizona but we're weird with time zones.) That's gonna be nice, order some takeout, put the kids to bed, and watch Doctor Who.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Boo, that sucks.

The season is already very short, releasing two episodes at once makes it even shorter. If they continue to do double releases it'll be over in just three weeks.

It's just a week one thing. It'll be weekly after that. Presumably it's to give a taste of what the show is like, the breadth of it, to newcomers on Disney.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Some, er, interesting musical choices in there, but whatevs Disney go off

looks real exciting, can't wait!!

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
New season coming but 60th anniversary still not on bluray in the US.. Dang

Tempting to import, but they also made the UK blurays region locked when the pre-disney ones weren't.

I do have a region free dvd player I got for Blakes 7, so I could use that, though that'd be just dvds.

I know its available streaming, but after having a full set of dvds and blurays for everything else Doctor Who (other than VHSs for the Loose Cannon lost episode recons) it kind of bugs me

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
New season coming but 60th anniversary still not on bluray in the US.. Dang

Tempting to import, but they also made the UK blurays region locked when the pre-disney ones weren't.

I do have a region free dvd player I got for Blakes 7, so I could use that, though that'd be just dvds.

I know its available streaming, but after having a full set of dvds and blurays for everything else Doctor Who (other than VHSs for the Loose Cannon lost episode recons) it kind of bugs me

It's not on SVOD services either. We'll have to wait and see what kind of deal Disney has with BBC for Doctor Who. I've noticed some streaming services only seem to have 1 year exclusivity deals before they can sell the show on SVOD or Blu-Ray (e.g. Wednesday was put up for sale on Vudu about a year after it came out on Netflix https://www.vudu.com/content/browse/details/Wednesday-Season-1/2701611). Not sure what kind of deals Disney makes for Disney Plus like this. It's probably more expensive for them to keep the permanent rights for the length of the deal they have instead of allowing BBC to sell it other places after a certain period of time.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Random Thought, has the Doctor ever explained to UNIT or the UK Goverment that he's a time lord from the planet of Gallifrey or the Time War?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Random Thought, has the Doctor ever explained to UNIT or the UK Goverment that he's a time lord from the planet of Gallifrey or the Time War?
I mean, they definitely know he's an alien with special powers. In addition to what Guppeth just said, the Brigadier has known multiple regenerations and even watched the third regenerate into the fourth. If you want a more recent example, Kate Lethbridge-Stewart was also present for the 14/15 Bi-generation.

And yeah, the Brig went to Gallifrey in the Five Doctors, although I don't remember if he remembers that afterwards? (Definitely only the Fifth Doctor should remember out of the various Doctors, but I'm not sure how the companions are affected.)

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Explained is up in the air, but at this point UNIT staff have been present for multiple regenerations, and Day of the Doctor established that they have taken pretty much every companion the Doctor has ever had into the Black Archive and extracted information on their adventures from them, then wiped their memories of the encounter. So it's safe to bet they know a good amount.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Kate is definitely aware of it considering the Doctor has ranted about the Time War in her presence on at least two occasions that we've seen. And they've clearly run into each other a whole more times outside of those two televised interactions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean the rumors were bullshit? Or are they still writing Millie out after a few episodes?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
US Disney+ May 2023 lists being sent out are saying the Doctor Who Season Premiere drop has increased from 2 episodes to 3 episodes.
Edit: Either all the websites fucked up or US Disney+ fucked up or they're adding the holiday special into the show list instead of having a separate video. False alarm

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
US Disney+ May 2023 lists being sent out are saying the Doctor Who Season Premiere drop has increased from 2 episodes to 3 episodes.
Edit: Either all the websites fucked up or US Disney+ fucked up or they're adding the holiday special into the show list instead of having a separate video. False alarm

It makes sense they'll push Church as part of the debut internationally, as otherwise Ruby is just... there

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense they'll push Church as part of the debut internationally, as otherwise Ruby is just... there
The specials should always be part of a season both on home video and on streaming, everything else is too confusing, imagine if The Christmas Invasion wasn't included in the series 2 release.

Doctor Who has been really bad at this at times, the 2009 specials should have been marketed as series 5 for example with Matt Smith starting at series 6. It is needlessly confusing to go from series 4 to 5 with a separate "The Specials" set in between. The 12th and 13th doctors didn't get their regenerations included in their final season sets either and those are obviously significant episodes and 13 has three additional specials not in any season release. It's madness that the audience has to use online resources to make sure they get all the episodes.