• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new logo. Yeah the one in the post above is the Pertwee one for seasons 7-10 in the earlu 70s and they resused a version of it for the TV Movie and it stuck for marketing stuff for a while.

Top row- Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee
Second Row- Pertwee/Tom Baker, Tom Baker/Davison/Colin Baker, McCoy,
Third Row: Eccleston/Tennant, Smith/Capaldi (with vairations)

doctor_who_logos_by_jimg1972-d6vmbp2.jpg

Man, I love McCoy as a Doctor but that logo is so, so bad. Like the new one though!

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new logo. Yeah the one in the post above is the Pertwee one for seasons 7-10 in the earlu 70s and they resused a version of it for the TV Movie and it stuck for marketing stuff for a while.

Top row- Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee
Second Row- Pertwee/Tom Baker, Tom Baker/Davison/Colin Baker, McCoy,
Third Row: Eccleston/Tennant, Smith/Capaldi (with vairations)

doctor_who_logos_by_jimg1972-d6vmbp2.jpg
If they confirm the new logo for Whittaker's/?'s era someone can make a DnD alignment chart out of all this. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping that logo was for real, too. It's perfect. Maybe if it leaves a big enough impression, it could end up affecting the actual final logo like that fan made intro did.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things in classic Who that have not aged well, McCoy's whole intro might be the worst.

I don't know what you're talking about...oh wait, those rocks...the wink...the horrible synths...the blocky Tardis...

I actually think the wink is quite fitting for McCoy but it needed to be a lot more subtle - maybe as he faded out. It also never quite looks like McCoy. Saying that though, it was apparently one of the first all CGI intro scenes for television!

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When's Series 9 OST coming out? It's a travesty it's taking this long for us to get a clean version of Heaven Sent. I think it's Murray Gold's best work in all his time on the show.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
If an entire Intro Animation by a fan can be made real, so can a logo. Get that man a paycheck and officialize it, stat! Its like a weird modern retro style thing, with enough flair while still being minimalistic and flat.

trudderham

Nov 9, 2017
When's Series 9 OST coming out? It's a travesty it's taking this long for us to get a clean version of Heaven Sent. I think it's Murray Gold's best work in all his time on the show.

Early 2018. Here's the official press release:

"The long-awaited release will be a 4 disc set with disc 1 containing cues from The Magician's Apprentice, The Witch's Familiar, Under The Lake, Before The Flood, The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived; and disc 2 containing cues from The Zygon Invasion, The Zygon Inversion, Sleep No More, Face The Raven and Hell Bent.

Disc 3 will contain the score from the Series standout episode - Heaven Sent

Disc 4 will contain the score to the 2015 Christmas Special - The Husbands Of River Song"

StonedCrows

Nov 30, 2017
What we really need is a Welsh Doctor. Or Cornish.

"'Ey up, boyo! Let's be 'avin' none a' that! It may be a right bit a' fun for yew, a good lark'n all, but DOWAN DO IT, mun! Ych a fi... Daleks, always exterminatin' this or purifyin' that! Just CALM DOWN lad! Can't 'ave yew goin' on a tampin' rampage, can we now? Dew, dew! So, look, 'ere's 'ow it's gonna go, alrigh'? Me butties're gonna back into the TARDIS right slow like as I'm tawkin' and me and yew're gonna figger this owt. Tidy! Right, so... bit a' rarebit for ya? S'lush innit! Noooo? Oh, yew're missin' owt, mun."

"I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. I CANNOT TRANSLATE. THE DOCTORRR IS USING ADVANCED CRYPTOGRAPHIC COMMUNICATION!"

As a Welsh person, I'd be in hysterics and entirely unable to deal.

(Yes, I had entirely too much fun with that, I'm ashamed to admir.)

Last edited:

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
No idea about some of this "ych a fi" & "dew". I'm guessing "butties" is a way to refer to our own butt? Or is this about "buddies" as in the Doctor's companions.

StonedCrows

Nov 30, 2017
No idea about some of this "ych a fi" & "dew". I'm guessing "butties" is a way to refer to our own butt? Or is this about "buddies" as in the Doctor's companions.
So, the actual Welsh I snuck in there means 'awful' or 'yucky,' loosely translated. 'Dew, dew!' Is an expression of disappointment, dismay, and sometimes surprise (but surprised in a bad way). My gran used 'dew, dew.'

Basically not 100 per cent on 'dew, dew' but that was the gist of it that I got. She'd say it if it started raining. Things like that.

Ych a fi, typos. God, it's been so long since I heard that. Really had to search the old memory banks.

Last edited:

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone else get the feeling that Jodie Whittaker's era might turn out to be massive? She's in the title sequence of The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2017 and she's barely even done anything yet!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else get the feeling that Jodie Whittaker's era might turn out to be massive? She's in the title sequence of The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2017 and she's barely even done anything yet!

Massive in what way? I get the feeling the ratings for her first episode will be absolutely ridiculous, but who knows if they'll stick around after that.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Only 10 eps too, gonna suck unless they keep the quality consistently high.

Still 9 months of speculation for this thread. 9 months of ranking Doctors. ranking their first stories, ranking their last stories, ranking companions, shipping mass murderers as companions, etc.

The BBC publicity machine seemed (to me, at least) really quiet during the Capaldi years but I would bet they'll ramp it up for a new Doctor, and a female Doctor. And if her shows don't reach Smithian/Tennantey-Wennanty levels of public success, then they'll go quiet again until Whittaker's successor rolls around.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Love hearts would be more appropriate as Love Hearts, the famous sweets, are manufactured in the North where the Thirteenth Doctor's accent is from - the factory is pretty much down the road from where Whittaker filmed the level crossing scenes in Adult Life Skills in Birch Vale. I've been to Sheffield and I don't remember seeing any flowers, just a crazy statue made of two-thousand Stanley knife blades.

If the logo contains love hearts, it might have a shot at being my second favourite Doctor Who logo, but if it contains flowers it will only be my seventh favourite at best!!!!111one

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Some images of the 10th planet reconstructed scenes that were filmed by Rachael Talalay and ended up not being used for TUAT, putting under spoiler tags just in case

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The BBC publicity machine seemed (to me, at least) really quiet during the Capaldi years but I would bet they'll ramp it up for a new Doctor, and a female Doctor. And if her shows don't reach Smithian/Tennantey-Wennanty levels of public success, then they'll go quiet again until Whittaker's successor rolls around.

I always got the impression they didn't know how to handle a fifty-something Doctor. Obviously, they have their hook now, but it could go either way depending on how general audiences react. I'm cynical (well, I'm British), and don't see it going down well at all, and for much the same reason Capaldi didn't...

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a lot more publicity for the show, I just hope it isn't all about gender.
Likewise, I hope we don't have subtle or overt references to patriarichies, the follies of men etc in the show. It hasn't been an issue for over 50 years and shouldn't become one now.

I'm hoping for an outward looking, fun loving Doctor who loves exploring the universe and showing her companions what there is out there if you look for the good in things. I liked that about RTDs era.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My big hope is that, if they're shooting for another Tennant-esque era, they don't make romance a primary focus of the show like it was for Ten's Rose arc. Characters can certainly have relationships and the like, but I just don't want Thirteen being involved in the romance plots. The River Song stuff was always really uncomfortable for me because of the age gap between Kingston and Smith, but even despite that it felt like a weird thing to focus on for a nigh-immortal time traveller, and I don't think the show should spend any of its significantly-lower running time this season pairing the Doctor up with someone.

A completely aromantic female lead would be pretty unique for a show like this, especially in the Age of Tumblr, and I hope that's the direction Chibs goes, at least for the first year.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, definitely no romance for me. I'd imagine we'll have a few scenes where characters attempt to flirt with her but nothing should come of it.

I'm watching the Davison era at the moment (Five, Adric, Nyssa and Tegan) and I'm enjoying the dynamic of the larger group and how cheery Five is and up for anything.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Re: Twelfth Doctor era publicity, it's odd that there's almost been a sense of defeat over the show for the last few years. Even the behind the scenes bits in Big Finish releases seem to imply the show is a spent force compared to the RTD years, despite them still clearly being die-hard enthusiasts of the show.

I think it could turn out for the best as some viewers might return to the show after a rest, as though Doctor Who had been on hiatus without being off-air.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Twelfth Doctor era publicity, it's odd that there's almost been a sense of defeat over the show for the last few years. Even the behind the scenes bits in Big Finish releases seem to imply the show is a spent force compared to the RTD years, despite them still clearly being die-hard enthusiasts of the show.

I think it could turn out for the best as some viewers might return to the show after a rest, as though Doctor Who had been on hiatus without being off-air.

This always makes me so sad. Peter deserved way better treatment than the BBC (and, let's be real, the fanbase) gave him.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think it's been a vicious circle really, where the slide in real-time viewership in the UK and it no longer being a critical darling in the UK press makes the BBC less inclined to spend money on promotion, but hopefully with the reboot they'll really go mad with it.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
One thing I find odd is how they keep changing the time Doctor Who airs, they don't seem to do that with their other big shows.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
One thing I find odd is how they keep changing the time Doctor Who airs, they don't seem to do that with their other big shows.

I mean, this too is a result of the decline in interest/live viewership/etc. When the show was pulling numbers equal to or even sometimes better than stuff like Strictly in the Tennant years the BBC would go out of their way to ensure it maintained a normal time slot, only ever moving it for things like the sport, which of course can't be moved. When it was one of their very biggest shows the BBC would also try to avoid putting it directly against, say, the X Factor lest its audience get damaged, but now the audience is down regularly they throw it in the way of shows like that on the regular. With the live UK audience at sometimes as little as half of those days now and the press no longer at fever pitch with the show as their darling, its slot has become more expendable which is on one hand understandable but of course sucks ass.

I think it's absolutely key that the next series has a regular, steadfast time slot - and back at 7pm, where the show thrived previously.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this too is a result of the decline in interest/live viewership/etc. When the show was pulling numbers equal to or even sometimes better than stuff like Strictly in the Tennant years the BBC would go out of their way to ensure it maintained a normal time slot, only ever moving it for things like the sport, which of course can't be moved. When it was one of their very biggest shows the BBC would also try to avoid putting it directly against, say, the X Factor lest its audience get damaged, but now the audience is down regularly they throw it in the way of shows like that on the regular. With the live UK audience at sometimes as little as half of those days now and the press no longer at fever pitch with the show as their darling, its slot has become more expendable which is on one hand understandable but of course sucks ass.

I think it's absolutely key that the next series has a regular, steadfast time slot - and back at 7pm, where the show thrived previously.

I find it insane that Who doesn't have a stable time slot. If it really gets moved around that often (and if it gets bumped the day-of), no wonder the viewership doesn't stick around.

Putting Who against reality TV just seems like a really bad idea. That's just about the worst possible lead-in you could ask for.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'd love a lot more publicity for the show, I just hope it isn't all about gender.
Likewise, I hope we don't have subtle or overt references to patriarichies, the follies of men etc in the show. It hasn't been an issue for over 50 years and shouldn't become one now.

This probably isn't the place to discuss this, but seriously how can anybody think patriarchy isn't a problem? Solid lead blinkers?

I don't expect the Thirteenth Doctor to be conducting tutorials on the oppression of women, but that isn't because I think it stopped in 1967. It's 2017 and the American President says a woman must be punished for trying to have an abortion.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't the place to discuss this, but seriously how can anybody think patriarchy isn't a problem? Solid lead blinkers?

I don't expect the Thirteenth Doctor to be conducting tutorials on the oppression of women, but that isn't because I think it stopped in 1967. It's 2017 and the American President says a woman must be punished for trying to have an abortion.

I think it's fine to discuss it in context with the show.

Here's the way I see it: Doctor Who probably SHOULD tackle these kinds of things. But it should do it in a way that is palatable for kids and easy for them to understand. I don't think we need Thirteen to be spouting feminist hashtags or anything, but science fiction is a mirror on the issues of the world at the time it's being written, and our world is beset by a lot of serious womens' rights issues that need to be discussed.

Who should speak about this.

Who should point out the ways women are being subjugated and mistreated by systemic patriarchy and misogyny. That's how science fiction works. Just as Star Trek held up a mirror to the society of the '60s by showing an idealized vision of the future by creating a world where humans had transcended racial boundaries, Who has the unique position of being able to talk about things like women's issues (and possibly even trans issues, though this might be a bit much for the writing staff) through the lens of a protagonist who can be anyone.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I find it insane that Who doesn't have a stable time slot. If it really gets moved around that often (and if it gets bumped the day-of), no wonder the viewership doesn't stick around.

Putting Who against reality TV just seems like a really bad idea. That's just about the worst possible lead-in you could ask for.

It hasn't been shunted around day-of, but it's been all over the place since about series 7 - bumped back as far as not long past 5pm. The issue really is that they change it week-to-week - basically, Doctor Who has gone from being a schedule-setter, where it always aired at 7pm and the BBC fit other things around it to one of the shows that fits into the schedule around other shows like Strictly Come Dancing and the like. Hopefully the show gets some of the zeitgeist back with Jodie and can wrestle more of the schedule back as a result.

As for reality TV, well - it's weird, really. If you're not a Brit, UK TV is still as such that there are really four 'main' channels (two BBC, two not) and while people have access to hundreds of others, a lot of the 'core' ratings war is between those four, especially on a Saturday night. ITV, the BBC's main rival, is awash with reality shows, and throughout the entire revival of the show the X-Factor has been Doctor Who's biggest menace, and it was something RTD's production team actually would try to get away from, as it has such an enormous footprint it'd hurt Who to go out at the same time as it.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to hold out some hope for is that Broadchurch was huge. Like, incredibly so - the last series got around 7.5million viewers on overnights, going up to about 10 million? So it's launching with someone from the biggest show on TV, it'll get a lot of buzz, and if they can maintain that it can justify a more consistent slot. Sure, not everything she's done since has hit that, but it's going to be a big thing for it.

Though being Autumn might be interesting for timeslots. That's where Series 8 and 9 were, and as Strictly's on too, you can't put Strictly on too late as it's live... but on the other hand, X Factor is on the wane so that's no longer as major a threat. And last time they dicked around by putting Who on after Strictly, which lovely lead in, but 8:30pm is a late start for a family show. Based on current history, my prediction would be that it's floating around 6pm again, but fingers crossed for the 7pm. It worked for a reason.

Edit: As ever AP has beaten me to my own points in expanded detail, haha.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been shunted around day-of, but it's been all over the place since about series 7 - bumped back as far as not long past 5pm. The issue really is that they change it week-to-week - basically, Doctor Who has gone from being a schedule-setter, where it always aired at 7pm and the BBC fit other things around it to one of the shows that fits into the schedule around other shows like Strictly Come Dancing and the like. Hopefully the show gets some of the zeitgeist back with Jodie and can wrestle more of the schedule back as a result.

As for reality TV, well - it's weird, really. If you're not a Brit, UK TV is still as such that there are really four 'main' channels (two BBC, two not) and while people have access to hundreds of others, a lot of the 'core' ratings war is between those four, especially on a Saturday night. ITV, the BBC's main rival, is awash with reality shows, and throughout the entire revival of the show the X-Factor has been Doctor Who's biggest menace, and it was something RTD's production team actually would try to get away from, as it has such an enormous footprint it'd hurt Who to go out at the same time as it.

I remember hearing RTD talk about that in the past, yeah. It's weird to think of how different UK TV is compared to US TV. We have so damn many channels, so the numbers each individual show actually gets are generally pretty damn low except for sports and prime-time reality TV. But then the UK has so few channels, and yet it seems to have the same systemic problem. I suppose population dynamics would explain the similar issues despite the smaller proportions?

It's too bad the UK doesn't (as far as I know) have a viable option for science fiction programming. But even if it did, I can't imagine the BBC would let Who go over there.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think Doctor Who will have writers clever enough or good enough to do a story justice that tackles those issues in a non-shallow and frankly naff way. Look at 'Kill the moon'. Clearly a political piece about women's choice and abortion that was not received well.

Villain's being villainous men, or cloisters of evil people is fine, but the show turning around and saying 'gah...men!' even in a subtle way will be incredibly naff.

I'd much rather positivity and showing how the future can be better than having women's rights becoming front and centre of a children's show through what would probably shallow humour and skirting around issues.

Especially in 50 minutes.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I remember hearing RTD talk about that in the past, yeah. It's weird to think of how different UK TV is compared to US TV. We have so damn many channels, so the numbers each individual show actually gets are generally pretty damn low except for sports and prime-time reality TV. But then the UK has so few channels, and yet it seems to have the same systemic problem. I suppose population dynamics would explain the similar issues despite the smaller proportions?

It's too bad the UK doesn't (as far as I know) have a viable option for science fiction programming. But even if it did, I can't imagine the BBC would let Who go over there.

UK TV is split into a few 'bits'. So, like, there's the pre-digital, terrestrial TV channels - BBC1/2, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5. All 5 of these are supported by the government and taxes - the BBC entirely (thus no ads) and the other three partially (they have ads). By getting government money they agree to serve public interests - so that's why the BBC is so magnificent and must be protected, because it's not so driven by what sells. That's why the BBC can afford to spend outlandish amounts on things like Attenborough documentaries even if the figures don't add up, because their remit includes instruction to educate as well as entertain. Then there's freeview, which adds about 100 more channels that resemble US TV more. All that's free, and then of course there are paid premium packages like what you guys get with even more premium high-end channels.

There's actually UK versions of most US channels like Investigation Discovery or SyFy and so on, but unless the government dismantles the BBC (which the current right-leaning government would rather like to do, methinks) Doctor Who probably won't end up anywhere else aside from reruns (and RTD-era re-runs are a staple on a few freeview channels). It's a weirdly complicated thing, the BBC, because the British public own it. So there's an argument in their remit about - for instance - anything major continuity wise should be broadcast free, because it'd be wrong to do a Who movie for instance and require people to go and pay to see it in order to keep up with show continuity. When BBC stuff has gone to cinema (like The League of Gentlemen), it's been a show the BBC aired that is owned by its production company... but the BBC owns Doctor Who.

The BBC is going through some really interesting changes right now, and it all has quite a lot of meaning for Doctor Who, though it's not really clear how the impact will play out. There used to be the regular BBC which was all about public service and then BBC America, merchandise, DVDs and stuff like that were handled by BBC Worldwide. The main difference was that the BBC was not commercial, but Worldwide was - this was a way for the BBC to commercially exploit its properties without the thought of money poisoning the decision-making process in the BBC proper. Right now Worldwide is merging with the main program-producing part of the BBC, so for the first time ever those two ends will meet - and as one of the BBC's most profitable, internationally sold and commercially viable shows it could potentially mean big changes for Who in a couple of years. We'll see!

Ratings still matter to Who because it's an enormously expensive show and that sort of use of taxpayer money has to be properly justified, but I really hope the BBC remains 'pure' and safe as it goes through transitions. It's tough times for them as they have more stuff to do than ever but the government has frozen how much money they get every year for ages now. I hope it can maintain its current form or something close to it for a long time to come, as I think part of why Who is as brave and as magnificent as it is comes down to its unique structure as a publicly-owned broadcaster.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone remember that time they scheduled Doctor Who after that bloody awful gameshow that about 12 people watched? The Rabbit and Something Something? Ah, I've googled it - Don't Scare The Hare, it was. Apparently the ratings were so bad they pulled it from the timeslot. Maybe there's a parallel universe where they never made it and Doctor Who still thrives in the UK.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Some images of the 10th planet reconstructed scenes that were filmed by Rachael Talalay and ended up not being used for TUAT, putting under spoiler tags just in case

It's a shame they didn't just re-film all of the Tenth Planet ep. 4 with Bradley, et al. as long as they had rebuilt the sets. Speaking of which, I rewatched Twice Upon a Time last night, and I just love the way they handle One's regeneration and how they weaved it into the surviving Tenth Planet clip. Given that we only know Bradley's Doctor for less than hour, it's a surprisingly moving scene, and a really well-done one.

I also decided to continue the story by watching the first episode of The Power of the Daleks...but man. That animation is rough.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame they didn't just re-film all of the Tenth Planet ep. 4 with Bradley, et al. as long as they had rebuilt the sets. Speaking of which, I rewatched Twice Upon a Time last night, and I just love the way they handle One's regeneration and how they weaved it into the surviving Tenth Planet clip. Given that we only know Bradley's Doctor for less than hour, it's a surprisingly moving scene, and a really well-done one.

I also decided to continue the story by watching the first episode of The Power of the Daleks...but man. That animation is rough.
I actually felt more emotional during the first Doctor's regeneration than during Capaldi's. He flat-out stole the show for me during the special and I almost broke down when he was shown on the floor.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Went and rewatched TUAT and have come to the conclusion that Bradley did a wonderful Hartnell impression but quite a bad 1st Doctor. Even the scene at the start 'love...pride...hope etc' when watched alongside the original is very different in terms of delivery, emotion and and pace.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Sarah Dollard says she isn't writing for S11, but the door might be open for her to return down the line

She also kind of hints that Rachel Talalay will be back for S11, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I am properly sad to be saying goodbye to Twelve and Bill, but I'm delighted that the Doctor is finally presenting as a woman and I know Jodie Whitaker will be brilliant. Rachel Talalay has told me some deliberately vague yet still very exciting things about her take on the character, so I'm doubly excited.

I won't be on S11 due to workload/schedule clashes this past year, but I had a really great chat with Chris about his plans. So hopefully, I've left the door open for a possible return in the future. It would be an honour to work with him and write for Thirteen.

http://www.roguesportal.com/a-chat-with-sarah-dollard/

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Sarah Dollard says she isn't writing for S11, but the door might be open for her to return down the line

She also kind of hints that Rachel Talalay will be back for S11, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

http://www.roguesportal.com/a-chat-with-sarah-dollard/

"I'm delighted that the Doctor is finally presenting as a woman..." I love that wording. Doctor Who is the only acknowledged transgender popular hero I'm aware of, unless you count Virginia Woolf's Orlando.