• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
BBC America will take commerical breaks but their initial airings usually don't include edits. The US airings are a bit better about this compared to the early years and the hackjobs that got on Sci-Fi.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I just looked ahead to the airing on BBC America on Sunday.

The opening episode is supposed to be 65 minutes long.

BBC America has it slotted in for 1:45 to 3:30. That is an hour and 45 minutes. That's 40 minutes longer than the episode time.

There will absolutely be commercials.

Fuck BBC America.

What MightyNine said. You'll be good for the first day/viewing, at least.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
BBC America will take commerical breaks but their initial airings usually don't include edits. The US airings are a bit better about this compared to the early years and the hackjobs that got on Sci-Fi.

Commercials are a no go for me. Air it as intended, or give the rights to someone who will.

I'll just wait for it to hit Amazon the next day.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
Commercials are a no go for me. Air it as intended, or give the rights to someone who will.

I'll just wait for it to hit Amazon the next day.

Well, one airs on a channel with no commericals and one doesn't - unless HBO or PBS were to pick the show up, there's no real options to air the show without commericals overseas (over a linear network, obviously). And you could argue with cuts to the BBC in recent years, the international money Worldwide brings in from the program is more important than ever to its survival.

I would probably go the Amazon/iTunes season pass route if I didn't have cable honestly, but for now I just DVR the Doctor and skip the commercials.

Do I have the rights?

Check under your couch cushions.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
PBS. They have the Sherlock rights, and they don't air commercials, or make cuts.

Back in the day (i.e. pre-revival), some PBS stations did air Who, though it was an individual station effort, so some aired each part of a serial weekdays, others edited them together into a feature-length format that ran on a weekend night - I vaguely remember my local station airing it when I was a kid, but I never really got into it.

Though doing some research into how long PBS stations offered the show, apparently WTTW in Chicago was still airing episodes into Matt Smith's run, going by what's on their website. And they even aired Confidential! And of course, an episode of Doctor Who was on when WTTW's signal was hijacked by someone in a Max Headroom mask...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_broadcast_signal_intrusion

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What's the guideline for new OTs here again? I might start whipping up a Series 11 OT over the next few days.

OT Title suggestions would also be appreciated!

I can understand wanting to avoid using the official tagline, but "It's About Time" is very good. Or you could possibly expand a little and riff on the TV Movie tagline with something along the lines of "She's here, and it's about time"

Some a little more esoteric:

A few that reference the 'breaking the glass ceiling' teaser

"In case of patriarchy, break glass"
"Oops" (or is it more "Whoops"?)
"Glorious"

"This is gonna be fun!"
"You've regenerated. I like it"

"From Verity to Jodie"

Focussing on the showrunner instead:
"A Chibb off the old Doc"

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just a half hour left on Children of Earth, holy hell, this show is going all out.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right, that's sorted.

The new OT will be going up in the main Etcetera forum tomorrow (probably).

smarties00

Oct 27, 2017
Re-watching Who I forgot what an amazing third season the show has. A great opener and season arc, Blink/Human Nature/Family of Blood/Utopia is an amazing stretch of episodes let down by a terrible finale. It's annoying how badly Martha was treated when she's actually quite a great companion.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Re-watching Who I forgot what an amazing third season the show has. A great opener and season arc, Blink/Human Nature/Family of Blood/Utopia is an amazing stretch of episodes let down by a terrible finale. It's annoying how badly Martha was treated when she's actually quite a great companion.

One of the best things about Martha is that she's the only new Who companion who actually got to leave on her own terms, without some ridiculously convoluted reason that, although they're not dead, the Doctor can never see them again. As in Rose. And Donna. And Amy and Rory. And Clara. And Bill. And then the Doctor just acts as if they died anyway and more or less tells his next companions that they're more or less dead.

It works once. It may work twice. It doesn't work when it's almost every single companion.

I'm watching S10 again now (I really better hurry up) and Bill is great. I really wish we'd had her for more episodes.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed her guest appearance in Torchwood. I actually liked her in this series, while I thought she was worthless in Who.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
DoMazvnWkAAmarP.jpg:large

Classy cover, usually there's a ton of text promoting the contents.

Surprised I can't find an official clean image of it, though

Edit: Found one! Replaced the image.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I might go full TV Movie and go for "She's Back, and It's About Time".

That's it. You can't talk about Doctor Who in 2018 without acknowledging that for the first time in half a century she's being played as a woman by a woman. That would be some ridiculous level of denial. She's a woman and in your face. Because women can be shape-changing aliens too.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best things about Martha is that she's the only new Who companion who actually got to leave on her own terms, without some ridiculously convoluted reason that, although they're not dead, the Doctor can never see them again. As in Rose. And Donna. And Amy and Rory. And Clara. And Bill. And then the Doctor just acts as if they died anyway and more or less tells his next companions that they're more or less dead.

It works once. It may work twice. It doesn't work when it's almost every single companion.

I'm watching S10 again now (I really better hurry up) and Bill is great. I really wish we'd had her for more episodes.

Martha was my favorite companion for a long time (with Donna in a close second). I haven't revisited many of those episodes in a while, so I'm not sure where I put her versus Bill, who is probably my current fave.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

The other nice thing, really, is that Martha is just out there. Jack, too. If, in twenty years, somebody wants to bring them back like Sarah Jane, they just have to ring up Johnny B and Freema and they'd surely do it. I mean, anything can be written around, but it's nice to have characters open like that. (And honestly, one assumes the only reason we've not had Martha & Mickey adventures on Big Finish is because they've been saving her debut for a series with Tennant - and presumably she'll be next.)

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tomorrow! It's all too exciting. As I've said I feel like I've been preparing for the return for ages now, having watched the Twitch Marathon, working through Big Finish and re-watching NUWho.

I forgot to share the intro animation I made a while back:

I made it strictly for fun.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I like it, with the hand-drawn elements it looks like a pretty convincing alternative title sequence for a behind the scenes or The Fan Show or something of that type.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we not planning on making a thread or OT over on the main forum? Or moving this one?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
a journalist friend of mine had acess to the screener and her impressionas are :

1) bbc player absolutely sux

2) it has some high production values and it is awesome