• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Currently going through Series 2 again, started a full rewatch with a good friend of mine. The Sarah Jane episode, what a heartfelt episode, but man, the Doctor is just outright pathetic in his reasoning for leaving her behind.

Very excited to watch her series soon.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Beast Below is as underrated as the Weeping Angel 2 parter is overrated.
Well you're half-right

Currently going through Series 2 again, started a full rewatch with a good friend of mine. The Sarah Jane episode, what a heartfelt episode, but man, the Doctor is just outright pathetic in his reasoning for leaving her behind.

Very excited to watch her series soon.

Tenth Doctor comes across very oddly in some S2 episodes, and I wonder if it's to do with Tennant still getting his feet on the ground and figuring out how he wants to play the Doctor (his performance imo feels noticeably more confident as a whole in S3 and even more in 4) or the writers still writing with Eccleston in mind and not necessarily making the adjustments, or knowing how yet to make adjustments, to better match Tennant's personality. School Reunion in particular comes off to me as an example of this. His "I am so old. I am out of mercy." exchange with the headmaster in that ep just felt extremely incongruous with how Tennant both looks and sounds, and seems like the kind of world-wear threat that would've paired better with Eccleston's Doctor.

School Reunion is definitely an episode that hit me way more after having gone through a bunch of classic Who episodes.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I've watched The Satan Pit two parter a couple of times recently. I'm still uncomfortable with the theme, which is basically a satanic horror pastiche, but I'm beginning to warm to it. I am now fast running out of New Who stories I don't completely enjoy. Maybe Rings of Akhaten will be the next to fall, and after that I really don't know what else will remain to dislike.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There's occasionally been discussion in this thread about getting started with Big Finish, and something has come up for their 20th Anniversary that might help in that regard: Next month, they're going to be livestreaming a marathon of stories.

Not sure what's in it yet, but might well be a good place to get started.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched The Satan Pit two parter a couple of times recently. I'm still uncomfortable with the theme, which is basically a satanic horror pastiche, but I'm beginning to warm to it. I am now fast running out of New Who stories I don't completely enjoy. Maybe Rings of Akhaten will be the next to fall, and after that I really don't know what else will remain to dislike.

I love that episode. Espcially the "before time" stuff which stumped the doctor.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am a little late here but I just want to say that I enjoyed the end of capaldi's run (it just had a little bit too much of 3 parters) and i loved the first Whittaker season

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to the current Doctor Who theme tune, and I think it sounds like one that would've suited the War Doctor more, for some reason. I've heard the one by Big Finish, and I'm not really a fan of it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to fix those specials release already. Those 60Hz transfers are terrible...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say no if you're in the UK / another region that supports 50Hz / own the compatible hardware. Playback speed is wrong.

They're pretty compressed on DVD tho, so there IS a slight image quality improvement. I guess it depends on what you value the most, but for me that's a dealbreaker.

I am. Shame, maybe they should have gotten the restoration team to work on these lol. Thanks for the info.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The actual upscaling is perfectly fine, the problem is that they went for 1080p24Hz instead of using 1080i50Hz for the UK for whatever reason, so the show is slowed down by one frame per second. Not really terrible, but disappointing that they went with that instead of the correct speed.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I saw Jon Pertwee trending on Twitter and wondered if he died again, or come back.
But today would have been his 100th birthday.

In honour I'm watching his last story, Planet of the Spiders.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that they're celebrating his birthday, just a day before the official release of the set. Such a great thing!

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if there was any HD film footage added to Season 10 for the boxset? I mainly got it for completionism but I'll rewatch any stories with genuinely upgraded footage.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Does anyone know if there was any HD film footage added to Season 10 for the boxset? I mainly got it for completionism but I'll rewatch any stories with genuinely upgraded footage.

do you mean rescanned film like some of the later seasons? I don't think so. my set came today and I had a quick look at three doctors but the film stuff looks really soft, but studio stuff looks amazing. It's not suddenly 4K but it does a look better than a DVD upscaled.

and 100 times better than the TV series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Bluray.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I watched The Daemons over the past week, for Pertwee's 100th birthday, which was apparently his favorite Doctor Who episode. It was also the first Pertwee serial I'd ever seen and well...I still don't like it, haha.

I do appreciate some of the UNIT family dynamics better now that I've seen more Pertwee eps and I got a kick out of the Doctor constantly chiding Osgood (who I assume is meant to Oswin's father?). The demon/black magic ritual plot doesn't really make any sense, Azal and the guy running around in the spandex gargoyle costume are some of the worst looking Doctor Who monsters I've ever seen, and man was I tired of hearing Delgado yell "AZAL! AZAL!!!!!!" every episode, lol.

It's probably on the lower end of my Pertwee list, but I can see why he might have liked it so much: the entire UNIT cast + Delgado are here, and they're all on holiday in a village instead of hanging around BBC sets.

do you mean rescanned film like some of the later seasons? I don't think so. my set came today and I had a quick look at three doctors but the film stuff looks really soft, but studio stuff looks amazing. It's not suddenly 4K but it does a look better than a DVD upscaled.

and 100 times better than the TV series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Bluray.
One of the restoration team guys mentioned on GB that the source for the film footage in the Three Doctors is just bad looking to begin with.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching The Three Doctors, the filmed footage looks a bit... Off? It's not bad by any means, but it's not really good either. I can't quite put my finger on what the thing is. Oddly, I'd say that the studio footage looks actually better on this first episode. I'd even argue that the studio footage looks better than season 18 and season 19 oddly enough...

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just started watching The Three Doctors, the filmed footage looks a bit... Off? It's not bad by any means, but it's not really good either. I can't quite put my finger on what the thing is. Oddly, I'd say that the studio footage looks actually better on this first episode. I'd even argue that the studio footage looks better than season 18 and season 19 oddly enough...

When 3 Doctors was made, the telecine (edited 16mm film transfered to video) was usually done in the studio (literally played into the scenes where they occured and often the resultant quality was dependent on a number of variables. You get things like fields merging

from the original DVD article on the restoration team website
"A Polygon telecine machine had been used to replay some of the film into the studio (episodes 1&2), and unfortunately this type of machine had the effect of smearing the film frames together giving the impression of a standards conversion. The start of the story begins with an exterior sequence shot on film and after examining the frames closely it seemed that one field of the video frame would be a blurred mix between adjacent film frames, whereas the other field was unblurred."

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, but of well, can't blame forty year old technology. Still looks good, but at least now I know why it looks a bit off.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had a good chuckle when Doctor Who was credited by all three actors in the credits, one by one. I don't remember them doing that in other serials in New Who, unless I never payed proper attention. But man, I love Pertwee as the Doctor, never seen a serial with him before, so this is some good stuff as an introduction!

Spearhead is so good and it *looks* fantastic. Such a shame they couldn't shoot more episodes on film like that.
It's a weird positive and negative at the same time. On the one hand, if they managed to film everything just as Spearhead, a ton of amazing stories we know wouldn't have been possible simply by the nature of how the series was produced. But on the other hand, the series does look a bit cheap in part because of the taped nature of it all. Honestly, I'm mostly annoyed some of the new stuff wasn't recorded in HD from the start. Tape just looks like tape, but it looks decent. The first four series of New Who just look bad in general. Even the blu-ray upscales are a bit iffy.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly reckon we'll be buying algorithmicly upscaled 4K Blu-rays of old Who at some point, but particularly the RTD era, where it's now kinda frustrating it wasn't HDTV from the start.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll depend on when the BBC sees 4k as a thing to invest in. We got Twice Upon a Time in 4k, but the latest season and special haven't received the same treatment. So Who knows...

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

As much as I liked how the Cybermen were used in Capaldi's run, the fact that they were in two of his three finales mean I could go a bit of a longer break before we see them again.

Though I'd be lying if I said I don't want to see Jodie's Doctor face off against them, and using them in a story about Mary Shelley and Frankenstein is a good touch

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? If anything, the terrible writing of series 11 should give them a change to make the Doctor all the more amazing once they can work with Jodie.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The interesting thing is that there's a Big Finish story, Storm Warning, where the 8th Doctor basically says he had a hand in the Frankenstein story, with him quipping that the story isn't entirely accurate to the real events that inspired it, heh.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The interesting thing is that there's a Big Finish story, Storm Warning, where the 8th Doctor basically says he had a hand in the Frankenstein story, with him quipping that the story isn't entirely accurate to the real events that inspired it, heh.

To be fair, though, at one time or another Doctor Who has been known to make a similar quip about just about every historic event well known to English speaking audiences.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
To be fair, though, at one time or another Doctor Who has been known to make a similar quip about just about every historic event well known to English speaking audiences.

Classic Doctor Who already had 3 different explanations for the destruction of Atlantis, had the Doctor dropping apples on Isaac Newton's head, was involved peripherally in the Great Fire of London, wrote "this is a fake" on the back of the Mona Lisa, etc, etc.

"Boney, I said, an army marches on it stomach."

The Doctor also claims every famous quote was originally his.

New Doctor Who doesnt name drop historical figures as much but we're more likely to actually see the Doctor meeting them.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, more specifically, The Silver Turk is literally the 8th Doctor and Mary Shelley meeting the Cybermen. Her mini arc kind of zaps her of any creative agency in an icky way.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I really don't mind those kinds of contradictions tbh. I guess Who cares a bit more about its continuity nowadays, but this kind of thing has happened plenty of times in the past, both with Big Finish stories and within the classic era.

The way I see it, my nerdy interpretation is that these events might have been changed through timeline shenanigans, but from the perspective of the Doctor they'll always have happened. Remember the whole cracks in time storyline in series 5 in which the Doctor explained time travellers would still remember erased events? Yeah, it's convenient, but it's how I try to explain away this kind of thing whenever it occurs. :p

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I've always regarded concepts like canon and large scale continuity as more of a hindrance to good story telling. The Hammer Productions films took huge liberties with canon, making Doctor Who a human inventor, but the essence of the story survived well. Even the 1996 film chose to make him half human.

Moffat invented a universal mcguffin which can be applied like duck tape to heal plots. "The Doctor lies." There, now isn't that better than worrying over every tiny detail in a fifty-five year old drama series?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I really don't mind those kinds of contradictions tbh. I guess Who cares a bit more about its continuity nowadays, but this kind of thing has happened plenty of times in the past, both with Big Finish stories and within the classic era.

The way I see it, my nerdy interpretation is that these events might have been changed through timeline shenanigans, but from the perspective of the Doctor they'll always have happened. Remember the whole cracks in time storyline in series 5 in which the Doctor explained time travellers would still remember erased events? Yeah, it's convenient, but it's how I try to explain away this kind of thing whenever it occurs. :p

Yeah, exactly. It's a show about time travel, so things happened, and then maybe they unhappened, and then they happened again another way, but it doesn't take away the story we saw the first time or change the fact that they happened that way from from the Doctor's perspective.

It's like how people got all shrieky like "OH SO CLARA PICKED OUT THE TARDIS FOR THE DOCTOR!? MOFFAT HAS GONE TOO FAR" about Name of the Doctor, when the whole point of that story is that things always happened the way we knew them to have but that then the Great Intelligence went back and messed around with the Doctor's life and the Clara splinters were just nudging things back towards how they originally happened.

Like, I try not to get too hung up on continuity anyway, but when the show is specifically about time travel anyway I don't see why you wouldn't want to be as loose with it as possible