• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So in "could-be-genius-could-be-a-disaster" news:

Donna Noble is returning in a new Big Finish release, Donna Noble: Kidnapped!, but can she manage on her own? She'll fly the TARDIS, make new friends and take the mantle of Earth's protector in four fantastic adventures coming out in May 2020. We hope the universe is ready for her!

Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, in the glorious Christmas special The Runaway Brideand, fortunately for fans, re-appeared as the Doctor's companion in 2008. One series and two Christmas specials later, Donna made her final on-screen appearance alongside David Tennant's Tenth Doctor on 1st January 2010.

Catherine went on to reprise her role for Big Finish in two sets of audio adventures with her best mate, the Doctor, in The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volumes One and Three – perfectly replicating the beloved pairing.

And now Donna will be fighting monsters (and her overbearing mother) with a new companion in four more thrilling audio adventures:

Out of this World by Jacqueline Rayner
Spinvasion by John Dorney
The Sorcerer of Albion by James Goss
The Chiswick Cuckoos by Matt Fitton

Script editor and writer, Matt Fitton, told us more about bringing back Donna: "Donna – on her own and saving the world! It's just irresistible, isn't it? There were a few directions we could take for a solo Donna Noble set – from before her travels to during them – but I thought an interesting angle would be the fallout from the Library (when she experiences life with a perfect family then has it ripped away from her). After that she just wants the comfort of home for a bit.

Catherine Tate will be joined by actor Jacqueline King reprising her TV role as Sylvia Noble – Donna's mother. Matt continues: "Donna and her mum are such brilliant Russell T Davies creations. Perfectly formed and completely believable in their dysfunctionality – it's a joy to see Donna's journey from the self-doubt Sylvia's drummed into her to discovering she can really make a difference. At this point in her travels she's starting to believe in herself, even without the Doctor.

"And Donna's best friend from school is along for the ride. Nat, played by Niky Wardley, is everything Donna isn't: a career woman, happily married, successful and confident – Sylvia hopes it'll rub off on her daughter! But when Nat sees what Donna's life is really like, Nat starts to question her own; perhaps it's not all as perfect as it's painted. It's a lovely relationship, and great to give Donna an 'assistant' to herself."

Yep, Donna's getting a BF series where she's the lead.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know, right?

I'm guessing that they're doing Blu-ray sets to kinda match the budget DVD counterparts that came out last year.

and we have boxart

81MhcSUAgjL._SX522_.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent over $300usd on Big Finish. I went a little overboard but I like supporting those guys.
I haven't really listened in a couple years. Just sort of fell off my radar sometime in 2017. I love Big Finish audios but I had spent a couple years listening to almost nothing else on my long drives and I was just sort of ready to back off for a while. Didn't help that the next year, series 11's writing put my hype at an all time low.
I think the last thing I listened to was the War Doctor stuff.

But the BF 20th anniversary Legacy of Time audio brought it back on my radar and I feel ready to deep dive back in again and I have some catching up.
Some stuff is preorders, some is already released, but all in all I got:

Legacy of Time
The War Master 1-4
8th Doctor: The Time War 1-4
8th Doctor: Ravenous 1-4
8th Doctor: Further Adventures of Lucie Miller
Diary of River Song 4-5
Missy 1

Big fan of the 8th doctor and just about anything Master.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I also posted this in the 20th Anniversary BF thread, but it probably belongs here too:

The lineups for the free broadcast of a bunch of Big Finish this weekend has been released:

Of note is that it's mostly first episodes. There's the complete The Sirens Of Time (their very first release in the Who line) in there scattered through the days.

Of note from a New Series perspective

Spare Parts inspired Rise of the Cybermen/The Age Of Steel
Jubilee inspired Dalek

I think the following - from some light research - are only one 60-minute episode and therefore ought to be broadcast in their entirety, but I could be wrong; many are parts of boxsets with arc plots, but I believe the individual storylines are standalone:
The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield: The Revolution
The Lives of Captain Jack: Wednesdays For Beginners (Captain Jack and Jackie Tyler!)
Gallifrey: Time War 1: Celestial Intervention
The Eighth Doctor: Time War 1: The Starship of Theseus
The War Master: Only The Good: Beneath the Viscoid (Jacobi Master!)
Jenny: The Doctor's Daughter: Stolen Goods
Doom Coalition 1: The Eleven
The War Doctor: Only The Monstrous: The Innocent (John Hurt Doctor!)
Unit: Assembled: Tidal Wave (Jo Grant + Modern UNIT!)
The Diary of River Song 1: The Boundless Sea

I note that The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Cold Vengeance is also listed as a Part 1, although it's a 1x1hr story; maybe they've chopped it in half?
Legacy of Time part 1 that's finishing the broadcast I think *might* be a standalone story too; that's of note 'cause it's the meeting of Benny Summerfield and River Song, with some McGann thrown in for good measure.

All of this might be completely wrong, for the most part I'm assuming that entries on Tardis Wikia that are listed as single episodes are being broadcast as such, but I'm not quite understanding how Cold Vengeance fits into that; it's possible all of the ones I listed above have been hacked apart a bit, it's possible that none have!

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
lol, this is amazing! Unsure why the hell this is on the Doctor Who YT Channel, but still.

Doctor Who still trying to save the planet, one park at a time. If it was aliens piling public areas with toxic waste and he just snapped his fingers and made everything okay, we'd love it and queue around the block for his autograph. How many of us care enough about the reality that we're fucking things up as badly as any Doctor Who adversary? Yeah, stop complaining you old git, we'll say. Joke is on us.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Interesting that the Tennant collection isn't in the wide book form that the Capaldi and Smith collections were. And, hell, the Tennant DVD collection.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Just beware of those Tennant/Eccleston era blu-rays, as apart from Tennant's list 5 episodes (which were filmed in HD) some previous HD transfers have had massive problems with nasty blurring and even some frame rate/audio sync issues. Wait for reviews

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first four seasons should be free of blurring, they will suffer from slowdown from 50Hz to 24Hz. I'm unsure what the frame rate of the US release of the specials are, but those were released as 60Hz here in Europe and look absolutely nasty with terrible blurring and frame blending. I'm still looking into getting the German release of the specials, which supposedly are 50Hz.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Re: HBO Max, I wonder if new episodes will be up next day? Gone are the days that I'd try to torrent the episode minutes after the BBC ending. I usually try and watch it same week.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got a couple of more Big Finish Torchwood Audio Adventures, Outbreak and the tenth (Moving Target) normal release. Really enjoying Moving Target where everything is frozen in time, but can still be interacted with alien assassins. Outbreak was... Kind of there, despite being three discs. Good execution of an not really that interesting idea. Ordered Believe, which should arrive some time tomorrow. Very excited for more Torchwood, and lord do I need more of this series.

The BBC really shafted the series for no real reason :(

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Some rumors going around last couple of days that chibnall either quit or was fired very recently. Seems like wish fulfillment tbh. They were filming in public this week.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Oh yeah, wasn't going to mention it here but that's going around all right. Some people vouching for it and while none of them mean anything to me, we're talking about small-time folks to be clear, some appear to have reputations they'd presumably care about to some degree. So because of that it's spreading kind of quickly.

I'm not buying it though, they're close to wrapping the season up and it's being sold as some kind of proper nightmare for the show, with other people having to take over to finish things up at the last minute. You'd think the powers that be would let everyone ride the season out, y'know?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Would be awkward timing...David's interview at the end of the End of Time screening tonight had a bit about him talking about and praising Chibnall.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Some rumors going around last couple of days that chibnall either quit or was fired very recently. Seems like wish fulfillment tbh. They were filming in public this week.
I would gladly take it but I won't get my hopes up.

Give Charlie Brooker a season as showrunner to right the ship.

If he refuses, raise taxes and bring a dump truck full of money.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chibnall is such an odd duck in regards to Doctor Who, he's created some amazing stories for it and for Torchwood. But the way he finishes his stories and how he handles serious subjects are really lackluster. Every single time he wrote for these two it went like that. The Power of Three has to be one of the absolute best New Who stories with the absolute worst ending as well. The villain just goes away, humanity is saved by waiving the Sonic in front of a screen for a few seconds and it there's no real conclusion, it just kind of ends...

I don't think he deserves to just be kicked to the curb just like that, but series 11 was crazy lackluster to say the least, with the best episodes being written by others. I really do like the esthetic he's given the show and I do think it works well for the series. We'll see what'll happen soon enough. I'd be more than happy if he stopped writing for the shoe but kept producing it.

If anything, I hope he might start pitching for a new season of Torchwood together with Davies and Barrowman.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rumours have it that the BBC might be making an announcement at 2:30 UK time, so time will tell.
From someone who wasn't the kind of fan who just wanted Ten back since he's been gone, it's time to bring Tennant back
I don't hate Tennant by any means, but eww, no.

Doctor Who should always be looking forwards.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy it. People have been spreading "trouble on set" type of rumors ever since Chibnall and Whittaker took over.

If BBC is announcing anything today, it'd probably be the holiday special or a vague date for s12.

From someone who wasn't the kind of fan who just wanted Ten back since he's been gone, it's time to bring Tennant back
I might not be in love with Chibbers' Doctor Who, but bringing back Tennant is the best way to make me quit the show.
You keep moving forward with the show. Old Doctors returning is for special occasions.

If Chibs was sacked, I could see Jodie walking too out of a sense of loyalty and solidarity. She wouldn't have even auditioned for the part if he hadn't suggested it.
Exactly. This wouldn't be a Tennant staying with Moffat situation where there would've been a peaceful hand off where all involved have had a working relationship already.

If it happens, I'd be surprised if they manage to keep her.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I also think, as both a fan of the show and an actor, Tennant wouldn't be up for another multi-year stint as the Doctor again, especially if the circumstances were that Chibnall and Jodie -- both of whom he is friends with -- were pushed out.

I would like to see Jodie with a different showrunner, and I would hope that if the situation were that Chibnall was either fired or quit, he would implore Jodie not to also resign just on his behalf.

In any event, this kind of tumult - if real - can't be good for the show, so if the BBC is announcing anything today, I hope it's a S12 premiere date and/or a surprise end of year special.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly this rumor was started by a twitter account that normally plays the "SJWs are ruining everything" game? The fact that anyone is giving this credence is really telling about how much a certain section of fandom really hates him and/or Jodie.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what John Nathan-Turner's run on the show would have been like in the social media age. If he were alive, he'd probably wake up in cold sweats from the nightmares about it.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Glad to hear it's false. Say what you will about Chibbers, personally I'm not too big on his writing but I did think Resolution was a lot of fun so I'm cautiously looking forward to an improved series 12, but the kind of mess the show would be in if that rumour had turned out to be true really wouldn't have been healthy for the show.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It should be noted that the Radio Times article about the rumors being false... is also just a rumor and innuendo from "insiders".

So in short, Radio Times rumored that the rumors of Chibs leaving are false.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted that the Radio Times article about the rumors being false... is also just a rumor and innuendo from "insiders".

So in short, Radio Times rumored that the rumors of Chibs leaving are false.
Presumably Radio Times has deeper/more legit connections with the production than Twitter randos.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Wait so is there still an announcement happening today? I missed all of this haha

Rumour was that we'd get an announcement from the BBC at 2:30pm UK time addressing the Chibnall thing.

Instead we got an article from the Radio Times, at that exact time. So presumably this is a case of the BBC relaying the info indirectly? Or wires got crossed. It's all a bit confusing really.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Rumours have it that the BBC might be making an announcement at 2:30 UK time, so time will tell.

I don't hate Tennant by any means, but eww, no.

Doctor Who should always be looking forwards.
I personally don't think the show needs to be limited by not letting itself go back to old Doctors, especially considering what Baker says in the 50th, but the biggest point I can think of against going back to someone like Tennant is considering the character development. You have to show some kind of character progress, it can't just be the exact same character again. Twelve was already like an old Ten to me.

Sad that the rumour isn't true, but if the Kablam writer was apparently put in as show runner like it said that would be completely unbelievable.