• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Were they only added to international broadcasts? I don't remember them being on the UK one.
They were at least on the US broadcast but I didn't realize they were added to the streaming version on Amazon too.

Also, going through the show again with my wife, who's watching it all for the first time, is a good reminder of what a bubble the online Doctor Who community is -- particularly places like Era or GB. She loves all the Ten/Rose stuff, loved the ending with Rose and Metacrisis Ten in Journey's End (conversely, she was utterly destroyed by the ending of Doomsday and was extremely pissed at me about it lol), is fascinated by all the River stuff, was mindblown by the River = Melody reveal, etc. All positions that are basically anathema to the consensus in Doctor Who forums (or as close to consensus as these places can get). I mean, her favorite episode is Fear Her! It's interesting, and nice, to experience the whole show from such a different perspective than what I'm used to.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was excited to click, then I saw possible finale. Blegh, I don't wanna know now :(

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Nearing the end of my S6 rewatch. The God Complex is quite good. I don't remember thinking much of it the first time around, but this is one of the best episodes of the season. Smith absolutely nails his "I took you by the hand and led you to your death" monologue. And the cuts back and forth between Amy and Amelia are really nicely done.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man :(

I always loved listening to Terry talk about Who, especially in the dvd special features for eps he was involved with. I'll miss him.

On a brighter note, the next classic who BD collection is up:

One of my absolute fave seasons of Who ever, Fenric and Ghostlight are top tier, Survival isn't far off, and while Battlefield isn't the best serial it's fun all the way through and has a superb last ride for the brig.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

One of my absolute fave seasons of Who ever, Fenric and Ghostlight are top tier, Survival isn't far off, and while Battlefield isn't the best serial it's fun all the way through and has a superb last ride for the brig.

Hmmm. Interesting to see which of the serials gets extended versions. All of these stories were written long and really cut to ribbons in the editing to make Fenric and Ghost Light in particular seem really dusjointed. Battlefield in comparison had some spectacularly flabby action that needed tighter editing (The special Ed on DVD was definitely an improvement)

I guess that means one set for each Doctor from Pertwee on has been released on bluray with a few animated troughtons and the McGann movie as well.

A lot of people look at a classic Doctor Who serial and then look at new who and say "Such a difference, the new one is more socially relevant, less middle class and gives the companion a bigger role (mostly true). But look at any story with Ace and there's not a huge gap between her and Rose. RTD took notes.

on the downside, this (and the previous season) Is where they made The Doctor into a god, which doesn't work now and didn't work then.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Moffat always said that you could watch Survival, then watch Rose and not be too put off by the difference in production. And he's right. Late Classic Who is better produced than received wisdom says, and early Modern Who is kinda shabby.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen one McCoy serial before and wasn't a fan (particularly wasn't a fan of McCoy's take on the Doctor) but I've heard nothing but good things about this season.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly, these letter trailers for the classic season boxsets have been some of my favourite Who content the past couple of years.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've only seen one McCoy serial before and wasn't a fan (particularly wasn't a fan of McCoy's take on the Doctor) but I've heard nothing but good things about this season.
well, there's a bit of a difference between his first season (goofy and pantomime) and his later two seasons (darker and more mysterious). A massive difference. Might as well be a different Doctor.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
well, there's a bit of a difference between his first season (goofy and pantomime) and his later two seasons (darker and more mysterious). A massive difference. Might as well be a different Doctor.
The one I saw was Remembrance of the Daleks. Not sure what that season was, but goofy and pantomime feels pretty close to what I remember of his performance there, haha. I think it was LL Dectrig who said that McCoy had first started out in his career as a clown or something, which in hindsight I can definitely see.

Ace is great though. Just that one story sold me on her. And I agree she definitely feels very much like a precursor to Rose.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The one I saw was Remembrance of the Daleks. Not sure what that season was, but goofy and pantomime feels pretty close to what I remember of his performance there, haha. I think it was LL Dectrig who said that McCoy had first started out in his career as a clown or something, which in hindsight I can definitely see.

Ace is great though. Just that one story sold me on her. And I agree she definitely feels very much like a precursor to Rose.

Remembrance of the Daleks is considered one of the all time great serials lol. And it's the very first serial where they try to make him more mysterious. The whole thing is basically him attempting to make the Daleks dance to his tune.

I rather liked him in that serial, he has one of my fave scenes ever in Who:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I had a copy of Abslom Daak: Dalek Killer signed by Sophie Aldred (as well as Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant). I was madly in love with Sophie at the time, in my mid teens I think. I have no idea why I took that particular book for them to sign, and I have no idea where it is now.

Ace and Peri at the same convention, it was like a dream!

So yeah more Ace please.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having only seen the TV film from McCoy, I am extremely excited for this boxset:

tumblr_ovc1uxvyYr1v5nbpeo1_500.gif

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
The McCoy era was where I sort of had my first break with Who; his first season was so dreadful to me at the time that I kinda only paid half attention to the stories that followed when I watched them on my PBS station, more out of habit than anything else by that point. So I'm long overdue a reassessment of them (outside of Remembrance, which is excellent). Nothing will ever top the Baker to McCoy regeneration as the worst of all time though.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The McCoy era was where I sort of had my first break with Who; his first season was so dreadful to me at the time that I kinda only paid half attention to the stories that followed when I watched them on my PBS station, more out of habit than anything else by that point. So I'm long overdue a reassessment of them (outside of Remembrance, which is excellent). Nothing will ever top the Baker to McCoy regeneration as the worst of all time though.

You should read Gary Russell's "Spiral Scratch." It has a messy but fun plot that provides an alternative to the on-screen 6th to 7th regeneration.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Listening currently the torchwood_cascade_CDRip.tor audio adventure. Holy hell, this one is so amazing! Absolutely give this one a spin, it's so good!

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder, if you're doing new Martha stories, the extent to which you lean in to the Doctor being an arse to her. I feel like over the intervening years there's been a lot of reflection on that relationship and the extent to which it was intentional and/or acceptable, so I'd be interested to see what aspects of that era they would actually choose to invoke.

It's kind of a similar situation to if they ever get round to doing 12/Clara and could either do the antagonistic, barely functional S8 dynamic, or their devoted, inseparable S9 dynamic.

Also, for people who know how Big Finish works, they obviously have access to New Series stuff but are they allowed full reign? Like, could they feature future, older versions of the companions like they have with Nyssa, or are they restrained to existing within the TV canon?

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
They can do anything up to Twice Upon A Time at the moment but with the caveat that BBC Worldwide have sign off. I think they have had to ask RTD for sign-off for things in the past as well but I'm not sure if that's just for Torchwood as his creation or he does it for everything he created such as characters. Big Finish have mentioned in the past that they're wary of doing anything that might be contradicted by the TV show.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones is making her first Big Finish appearance - in a Torchwood audio!
I loathed her in Doctor Who, but felt she was a perfect fit for Torchwood. I guess her being the rebound girl just did not gel with me at all, and her being aware and still tagging along as long as she did just... Blegh. Excited to hear what they'll do with her though.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Big Finish have now casted the Danny Pink guy to do one of those audiobooks Twelfth Doctor sets with an impersonator playing the Doctor.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
It's the same guy who did 10/11, which I'm a bit surprised by because he's pretty young? There might be a preview somewhere...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Rewatched The Power of Three the other day, probably the first time I've seen it since it aired.

When I went through The God Complex again recently, I thought this episode would've been such a good ending to Amy and Rory's story. I actually liked The Angels Take Manhattan but Moffat really tortures himself into creating a scenario where they are separated from the Doctor forever and effectively dead as far as the show is concerned. Whereas the way The God Complex treats it, it feels like a completely natural way to say goodbye, with the Doctor being the one to give them up in a moment of pure brutal honesty.

But Chibnall, with The Power of Three, really justifies -- better than Moffat does imo -- in keeping Amy and Rory on past that point. Despite how rushed it is, I really like the depiction of the passage of time in Amy and Rory's lives, how they're becoming more comfortable with real life over TARDIS life and the latter beginning to feel like more of an intrusion or distraction than an escape. It allows for some nice character moments between both the two of them and Amy and the Doctor. I like that we're treated to glimpses of friends and jobs and life milestones that happen over several years in their lives that are just out-of-context fragments for the Doctor, because it reflects how he sporadically he drops into their lives and how increasingly disruptive that's becoming. Even if all the cube stuff is pretty superfluous, all the character bits in here I think are Chibnall's best writing for the show.

I also wish this angle had been seeded in Asylum of the Daleks, rather than Moffat going with that episode's bizarre sudden divorce angle, so that S7 Pt. 1 was built more around Amy and Rory simply drifting away from the Doctor and growing into their own lives outside of the TARDIS. As it is, it kind of feels like Moffat and Whithouse/Chibnall are writing Amy and Rory in somewhat different directions here. That Amy and Rory were briefly divorced has no real bearing on anything else that happens to them the rest of the season and that feels really off. Though it does get to one complaint I had about Moffat's writing during this era: the only thing he ever knew to do with Amy and Rory was to pull them apart so he had an excuse to get them back together.