• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
There's a great reaction compilation on YouTube of that moment.

Not only is the every Doctor saves the day moment probably the best possible way the Doctor could save the day in the 50th, but the surprise cameo of Capaldi was the cherry on top. Gotta give credit to Moffat, he really knocked it out of the park for the 50th I hope Chibnall isn't still the show runner in 2023, I don't think he can pull off an episode like that

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing for Series 12 still when it should be starting early next year

I really miss Moffat and even RTD Doctor Who

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Might want to watch the Punjab and Rosa episodes, add the New Year special and you've missed absolutely nothing. And even the Punjab and Rosa episodes are up for a discussion.

still kind of hilarious that they basically had a new year's special instead of a christmas special just so they can say they had some Doctor Who in 2019
It really does feel like this was the only reason for them to have skipped christmas. What a mess...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing for Series 12 still when it should be starting early next year

I really miss Moffat and even RTD Doctor Who
The first trailer for S11 didn't hit until a couple months before it premiered. I'm assuming a January air date is not in the cards, but February/March is still reasonable I'd think.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So my US Complete Season Four (Jon Pertwee) blu-ray came today and... there's no slipcover. Anyone else get a slipcover? All of the others ones have one.

edit - checked Gallifrey base and it seems its consistent with Amazon and WhoNA so I think they just stopped producing slip-covers.

Last edited:

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
People collecting the Doctor Who: The Collection releases may want to check out Doctor Who Magazine this month - it's a 40th Anniversary issue with a free The Collection DVD - mainly excerpts of special features on there but there's one exclusive one that was apparently filmed for US home video at some point.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently another new missing episode animation (to come after The Faceless Ones) is going to be announced next weekend.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just saw the Season 10 (pertwee) set is now available for preorder in Australia, releasing next month. They look the same as the UK sets. So that's about six months later than the UK release. No idea when 23 or 26 will be out there. I'll probably wear the wait and get the aussie sets from now on.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's speculation that this is meant for a special after the main series- maybe even Christmas next year.

They've filmed 11 episodes, we just don't know where they go yet.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just want more Who. So I'll be happy with anything at this point.

Also, since no one has posted it here yet -

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's speculation that this is meant for a special after the main series- maybe even Christmas next year.

They've filmed 11 episodes, we just don't know where they go yet.
It'd be really strange to film a Christmas special now that wouldn't air for 14 months though.

If it's for this year, you'd think they would have put it earlier in the production schedule, so the last one to shoot wasn't also the one to edit and air. Unless it was a late addition to the production because the BBC wanted an episode out for the end of the year.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Fury from the Deep is not only a good story, but it's also the debut of the Sonic Screwdriver.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
2 teams now working on animations so they can do more (other team is planet 55 who did moonbase and some of the older ones).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Moonbase is some of the best that the animations have looked, so great news that that team is back.

Looking forward to watching both of these...and hopefully this means they'll be able to double up on releases going forward too (or maybe make the longer ones like Marco Polo or Daleks Masterplan more feasible).

That will be awesome. No current episodes exist (only bits cut by censors overseas)

cool.
What irony that the only material that remains from these episodes is the bits the censors didn't want to be seen

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think Moonbase is some of the best that the animations have looked, so great news that that team is back.

Looking forward to watching both of these...and hopefully this means they'll be able to double up on releases going forward too (or maybe make the longer ones like Marco Polo or Daleks Masterplan more feasible).

What irony that the only material that remains from these episodes is the bits the censors didn't want to be seen

well, Australian censors. They used to be scissor happy since the show used to be broadcast between 6 and 7pm (yeah, even though the series was often shown earlier in the UK). I remember the original Australian broadcast of Caves of androzani was something like 18 minutes after all the violent bits were cut. It wasn't until the video release years later that I got to see the whole episode.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
So, I made this because I wanted a nice visual overview of the missing doctor who episodes with the gaps that have been filled by animations
I don't do much in the way of social media so I didn't really plan on sharing it, I just made it for myself really. But I figure some of you might appreciate it?

dwmissingepisodeskbkhq.png

We've come quite far with Troughton's run, it's nice. Feel free to point out any mistakes if you spotted any

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So, I made this because I wanted a nice visual overview of the missing doctor who episodes with the gaps that have been filled by animations
I don't do much in the way of social media so I didn't really plan on sharing it, I just made it for myself really. But I figure some of you might appreciate it?

dwmissingepisodeskbkhq.png

We've come quite far with Troughton's run, it's nice. Feel free to point out any mistakes if you spotted any

Thanks for that list (and the hard work)!
Hmm, from that list, I hope we get at least: The Daleks' Master Plan, The Evil of the Daleks, and the Abominable Snowmen.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never quite understand how the mass disappearance of episodes hit from season 3 and onward so hard. From the first two seasons, it's almost complete except for Marco Polo (which is truly a shame) and two episodes of two different stories, but that's it. All things considering, if the BBC continues to pump out the classic blu-ray box sets, they could release the first two without much of a problem. Extremely curious if they'll bother with them. So far we've had quite a few seasons, but still absolutely nothing on the first two doctors despite there having been two Baker seasons.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
the BBC sold the Hartnell episodes overseas more. Troughton episodes didn't sell as well which is why so many of them went missing- fewer prints and fewer places they might turn up.

A lot of what's in the archives now is stuff that's been returned or recovered from overseas since the archives first started trying to rebuild their library of the show in 1978. The show was made on videotape and not one 60's who exists on video, it's all film prints made for overseas sales. The B&W prints of pertwee stories were for overseas sales before some countries went to colour which is why we have them at all.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So with Faceless Ones, they're even animating the two existing episodes by the look of it (both are on the Lost in Time DVD set). would be interesting to see them do that to some of the other stories.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about Marco Polo is that it was the most widely sold overseas story, yet there isn't a single frame of surviving footage left that we know off (with the possible exception of the first two episodes that may or may not be sitting in a closet somewhere in Tehran). Meanwhile, there are stories that, according to whatever documentation is left, should have been wiped off the face of the earth, but still exist in some shape or form.
So with Faceless Ones, they're even animating the two existing episodes by the look of it (both are on the Lost in Time DVD set). would be interesting to see them do that to some of the other stories.
Yeah, I think it was telling that one of the guys involved with the animations (maybe Charles Norton?) described the idea of a Daleks Masterplan animation as a 12-episode project, rather than an 8- or 9-episode one. A significant share of the funding for the animations comes from BBCA, who want a complete and consistent presentation to show viewers -- so, not something that would pivot between black-and-white 4:3 episodes and in-color widescreen ones.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it was telling that one of the guys involved with the animations (maybe Charles Norton?) described the idea of a Daleks Masterplan animation as a 12-episode project, rather than an 8- or 9-episode one. A significant share of the funding for the animations comes from BBCA, who want a complete and consistent presentation to show viewers -- so, not something that would pivot between black-and-white 4:3 episodes and in-color widescreen ones.

Yup. It was only a few years ago the animation projects were considered dead and buried. Someone (I believe it was Paul Hembry) successfully pitched to the BBC on the idea these were supporting the brand, investing in content and was saleable. Obv just doing the missing ones reduces the sales opportunities to a very limited market. And on those terms he was able to get it revived.