• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the HBO Max live stream just let it slip that Doctor Who will be renewed for s13 and s14, they said 3 upcoming new seasons will be available on Max.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Worth mentioning that it's Children In Need in a couple of weeks, could be something Who-related there.

(Speaking of which, the doc on the making of the covers album was last night; lots of Who alumni in there!)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
...and I've only just noticed the acrostic in the title of Sophie's book. I thought the story was just "Sophie Aldred's written a NewWho novel". Now... I'll have to check the blurb, because that's telling me that Ace is in it.

Edit: Yep!

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017

It's stuff like this that makes you realise that perhaps Chibnall's most egregious fault is not having a particularly interesting personality.

Like, both showrunners put out their fair share of crap but at the very least when RTD got out there and told you how amazing The End of Time was going to be, or Moffat professed In the Forest of the Night as his new favourite, they were always entertaining to listen to.

Part of the reason, for me at least, that S11 felt so flat was because there seemed to be no-one out there selling it. So it's great to see they're changing that approach, what with all the S12 promotion we're drowning in...

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the final story of Season 23 and man, that twist in the first episode of the two. My genuine reaction has to be something along the lines of:

giphy.gif

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's stuff like this that makes you realise that perhaps Chibnall's most egregious fault is not having a particularly interesting personality.

Like, both showrunners put out their fair share of crap but at the very least when RTD got out there and told you how amazing The End of Time was going to be, or Moffat professed In the Forest of the Night as his new favourite, they were always entertaining to listen to.

Part of the reason, for me at least, that S11 felt so flat was because there seemed to be no-one out there selling it. So it's great to see they're changing that approach, what with all the S12 promotion we're drowning in...
Aye, RTS, Moffat and Gatiss could put on an engaging, fun persona for interviews and bts stuff. While they certainly didn't get everything right in terms of writing, they could play the PR game well.

I want to be excited about S13, but little is presently countering the near-constant negativity I observe on YT recommendations etc.
While there's plenty of hyperbolic vitriol, it reminds me of the valid criticism I feel to be accurate.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

As much as Moffat drove me up the goddamn wall sometimes at the very least it was always interesting to listen to him talk. Even if some of (okay, many of) his ideas were stupid, hearing how he got to them was at least kind of entertaining. I wasn't a regular watcher during the Davies era so I don't really remember him as a showrunner beyond having seen his episodes four times each, but man. What a different time it was.

Someday I'll watch the rest of season 11. Whenever they put it up for free on Prime Video, I guess. Eventually... :(

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As much as Moffat drove me up the goddamn wall sometimes at the very least it was always interesting to listen to him talk. Even if some of (okay, many of) his ideas were stupid, hearing how he got to them was at least kind of entertaining. I wasn't a regular watcher during the Davies era so I don't really remember him as a showrunner beyond having seen his episodes four times each, but man. What a different time it was.

Someday I'll watch the rest of season 11. Whenever they put it up for free on Prime Video, I guess. Eventually... :(

Not sure if it will ever go on Prime at this point. Might just be HBO Max.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
seems an odd thing to make a big deal about. unless Sophie Aldred is playing Ace in an upcoming episode

One sad thing is that Davies' Sarah Jane Adventures master plan involved bringing Ace back next (after doing the Brig, Jo and Martha) but Liz Sladen's death and thus the end of the show meant it never happened. He'd even spoken to Aldred about it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know when Doctor Who is expected to be taken off Prime? Would it be the end of the year, or would it be closer to when HBO MAX launches in May?

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand schedules seem to suggest that the first episode of series 12 will broadcast on New Year's Day, with the rest of the series starting on the following Sunday.

No word on where the special they've been filming recently will go.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happens next, I'm excited. The New Years Special was quite good, except for the terrible ending. So might be something good if Chibnall managed to learn from his problems from series 11.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'll probably just watch these episodes on the BBC America website the day after they air instead of buying a season pass. Unless Amazon has one on sale for an extremely low price again like last time.