• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
!!!

EI3f7sdWkAYVa6V.jpg

Immediately purchased the remaining Steelbooks I'd been too lazy to order when I got home.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The Series 9 Steelbook (the first proper Steelbook release they did) is climbing and one sold on Tuesday for £290... plus £5 for postage!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I love the recycling sticker directly over the Doctor's face. I do hope that any other Who steelbooks had the same (at least for regeneration seasons)!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And the best part, trying to remove the stickers potentially rip the overlay and leave glue on the steelbook itself.

I wonder if you could get good results using AI to upscale the pre-Tennant specials to HD...

I'd like a AI upscale on the filmed footage but a re-render of the CG elements. I know it'll never happen, but it'd be nice.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think it'll just be a simple series premiere date announcement or a full trailer?

Also, is it too late to announce a Xmas/NY special?

Oct 25, 2017
Too much to hope it's a new show runner (wouldn't happen this way either, lol)
I expect a trailer and maybe a New Years Day episode.
Fuck Chibnall for losing the Christmas Day slot.

Hopea he's gone by the 60th.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

Moffat is a better man than me, I'd be whining nonstop about having stuck around for longer to keep the slot only for it to be pissed away!

There probably won't be a special this year, but rumour has it that episode 1 of the new series will air on January 1st.
That doesn't sound like a great time for the show, no?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I have zero hope that Chibnall could write a good 60th anniversary episode and I wouldn't be surprised if the 60th is the last time we'll see at least 1 or 2 modern Doctor actors play the Doctor.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't sound like a great time for the show, no?
It's not bad- having a special would be better, but New Year's is still a big day for TV, and a big glossy relaunch starting then makes a certain amount of sense.

Better be a damned bit more exciting and attention-grabbing than anything series 11 has to offer, mind.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have zero hope that Chibnall could write a good 60th anniversary episode and I wouldn't be surprised if the 60th is the last time we'll see at least 1 or 2 modern Doctor actors play the Doctor.
My dream scenario would be that instead of a single anniversary episode for the 60th, they did a mini-season of six episodes, with pairs of eps written by RTD, Moffat, and Chibnall. And that could be in lieu of a full season, to lighten the production load, given how enormously difficult I'd imagine it would be to corral 5-6 Doctors + 3 showrunners together like that.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be in Londen those few days, curious if I'll see New Who Mania while I'm there if it's around that time.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I really hope the score is a little more interesting this time around. It's good musically, and it was better in the Dalek episode (as was pretty much everything), but I do miss Gold's style, honestly.

Chibnall deserves time to grow. As does Whittaker, obviously, though I already think she's brilliant (just lacking material). I think the rumors that have gone around a bit about the BBC reaching out to Tennant about another multi-doc episode are probably true, though - reaching for Tennant in particular is the classic panic button move... and obviously he and Chibnall are close.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm praying for more oomph and energy in pretty much everything, including the score. The whole show was so languid last time out- not methodical and deliberate, but boring and listless.

As much as I'd like them to get back to the tone and verve of the RTD era (God, if only), it doesn't necessarily need to be that energetic- it just needs to avoid the cardinal Doctor Who sin of being boring.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
It is really just bizarre to me that they've squandered the momentum this show had earlier in the decade so many times. It's especially weird doing it with a new Doctor. I understand the production realities but it's disappointing.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Need to bring back RTD somehow, but I don't think he's that interested.

I'll give chibbers a chance for one more season, but I get the overwhelming feeling he's not the right person for the job

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I really hope the score is a little more interesting this time around. It's good musically, and it was better in the Dalek episode (as was pretty much everything), but I do miss Gold's style, honestly.

Chibnall deserves time to grow. As does Whittaker, obviously, though I already think she's brilliant (just lacking material). I think the rumors that have gone around a bit about the BBC reaching out to Tennant about another multi-doc episode are probably true, though - reaching for Tennant in particular is the classic panic button move... and obviously he and Chibnall are close.

I'm praying for more oomph and energy in pretty much everything, including the score. The whole show was so languid last time out- not methodical and deliberate, but boring and listless.

As much as I'd like them to get back to the tone and verve of the RTD era (God, if only), it doesn't necessarily need to be that energetic- it just needs to avoid the cardinal Doctor Who sin of being boring.

I liked how it was filmed and the new crew. Didn't mind the music and I was getting sick of Gold's bombastic scores the last few seasons but his use of leitmotifs always made them memorable and might never be matched again.

I really enjoyed the semi-historical episodes. The straight sci-fi episodes were uninspired and mostly lacked the fun energy of previous eras (only episodes I can recall in detail without going on IMDB are the one with the Talking Frog and the Dalek Xmas special).

I haven't seen much of her pre-Doctor Who work but she strikes me as an actress capable of showing a lot more range and passion than she displayed last season. I would put that down to the scripts, again mostly the non-historical ones.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm feeling the urge to rewatch the season again maybe next week. Just a good time to look at what worked and didn't. it was all over the shop with its own strengths and weaknesses. but it was fairly consistent, without the highs and lows of moffat (which really annoyed me from season 6 onwards). still, flat's okay for one season but its time for some highs.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the weirdest thing- series 11 had a pile of elements which were really good in isolation, but which totally failed to cohere. The guest writing roster, for instance, was probably across-the-board stronger than any other New Who series, and everything we heard in advance of the series was truly exciting.

Unfortunately, the dread hand of Chibnall smothered all of the promise out of everything else, regardless of how promising it seemed. Hell, that might even be unfair- I'd sooner watch either of Chibnall's Torchwood series than series 11, because although they were often bad it seemed like they were really going for something. Series 11 was just... there.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New news about series 12- we've now got the writing lineup.

Chris Chibnall x4
Ed Hime (It Takes You Away)
Pete McTighe (Kerblam!)
Vinay Patel (Demons of the Punjab)
Nina Metivier
Maxine Alderton
Charlene James

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm happy to see both of them back, and I'd be interested to see what McTighe might do with a second crack at an episode.

Charlene James is the really exciting name for me, though- Cuttin' It was a remarkable piece of work.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam, and It Takes You Away I thought were the highlights of S11 so glad to see they're all back. Also interesting that there's one (technically 1.5) fewer Chibnall episodes here too...

And only 10 episodes again, huh? Mehhh
I guess that special is being held over for later then?

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
I know the chances of it happening are extremely unlikely (I definitely get the sense that Whittaker and Chibnall are a package deal), but I would be fascinated to see a brand new showrunner get a crack at at least one series of Whittaker before she bows out.

In the same way that the plan for Series 5 with Tennant and Moffat was intriguing, I'd love to see someone new (perhaps, you know, a woman) take the lead and do something completely different with the 13th Doctor. Give her Doctor the chance to shine before she bows out. To be frank its not as if there's much established character or personality to undermine.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
For McGann's 60th, Big Finish are doing a sale on all the (current!) Lucie Miller stuff. I'd recommend it as a chance to see the best Doctor we barely saw, at his best, with the best companion we never saw.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I feel like this rumor comes around about every other season now...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure that in one of the interviews (for the Season 23 blu ray release), Tennant ruled out coming back so soon anyway?
He did a sort of interview for the End of Time theatrical showing this summer where he was asked about coming back for the 60th, and he said basically he'd like to do it but has no control over those things and has no idea if/when the BBC would ever ask him back. Which obviously we know they will, and of course if Tennant was actually being talked to about something he wouldn't give it away in this, but his overall tone struck me as a guy who has no idea when his Doctor Who return would be.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
He did a sort of interview for the End of Time theatrical showing this summer where he was asked about coming back for the 60th, and he said basically he'd like to do it but has no control over those things and has no idea if/when the BBC would ever ask him back. Which obviously we know they will, and of course if Tennant was actually being talked to about something he wouldn't give it away in this, but his overall tone struck me as a guy who has no idea when his Doctor Who return would be.

From what I remember (iirc), it also sounded like, yeah 60th would be fine, but it's something that should stay unique, like not overused (e.g. during a series, just for the wow factor).