• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I don't think it's going to end up being my favorite Doctor or period in the show's history, but I think it'll be fine.

I note that BBC America's lead in before the premiere is The Day of the Doctor, which conveniently features 10 and 11 - and if that isn't a sign that the show's popularity fell off with 12 in the U.S., I don't know what is. Which is sad.

That said, I am ready for 13! Debating whether I want to sit through the commercials in real time or wait a bit to fast forward.

All part of the 13 days of Doctor Who marathon on BBCA, which was billed as being 'timey-wimey' but came across to me as 'in ascending order of importance to BBCA', (9 - 12 - 10 - 11).

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which ways exist to watch the season live? BBC is big on the front of geoblocking, so anyone outside UK might have a hard time... as a reference point the episode airs 17.45 UTC

UK: TV and BBC One

US: BBC America
(there is a live stream online, but "To watch full episodes, you must have a cable provider that supports BBC America's full episode service and you must have BBC America as part of your cable package.")

CH: https://zattoo.com/ch/ - offers BBC One as a free livestream (geoblock for non swiss people)

FilmOn.com offers a free and legal streaming way, but it's 15€ a month... otherwise you get 2 min of watching (does anyone have experience with this site?)

Itunes usually offers the episodes on a buy basis, but I've no idea when the ep comes online, any suggestions?

Unfortunately I didn't find anything for Germany specifically... well that's the legal ways I suppose.
Welp, I tried BBC One with a VPN, it doesn't work.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
People looking for ways to watch, you can also sign up for the free trial of Sling TV. They have BBC America.

BBCA is doing a simulcast. That's a pleasant surprise.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I note that BBC America's lead in before the premiere is The Day of the Doctor, which conveniently features 10 and 11 - and if that isn't a sign that the show's popularity fell off with 12 in the U.S., I don't know what is. Which is sad.

That said, I am ready for 13! Debating whether I want to sit through the commercials in real time or wait a bit to fast forward.

Twelve had a lot of issues and I think one of the biggest was actually Clara. It was pretty difficult to follow up Amy and Rory with a good companion, so they went the smart route and introduced Clara as the centre of a mystery. The problem was she ended up having no personality to speak of, so I end up actually forgetting that she was in a lot of very strong episodes. It's weird to think Matt Smith was carrying the whole show by then, but he kinda did. He kinda had to.

Then along comes Twelve and suddenly Clara has a personality. A pretty bad personality that has her spending most episodes trying to one up or second guess the Doctor at every opportunity. Even the lesson she was meant to learn from her brashness and naivety was thrown out the window the second she became stuck in time and thus immortal and handed her own TARDIS. In fact had it not been for Missy I would probably hate Twelve's entire run.

Sadly underwhelming companions is a hallmark of the Twelfth Doctor so I'm just hoping they haven't gone for quantity over quality this time with the Thirteenth. I'm not expecting companions on the same level of quality as Amy and Rory and nor should I - Matt Smith's entire run was basically built around those two and River Song and how all four of them were connected, which is part of the reason it went downhill so rapidly after they left - but I do miss companions like Martha. It's much more fun when the Doctor relies on their companions as much as their companions rely on them.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not the best solution but if you are in the US, you can get a free trial to YouTube TV and watch on BBC America
I'm in France. London isn't too far away, I wonder if I can make it before the episode starts.
Better start running.

giphy.gif

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly underwhelming companions is a hallmark of the Twelfth Doctor so I'm just hoping they haven't gone for quantity over quality this time with the Thirteenth. I'm not expecting companions on the same level of quality as Amy and Rory and nor should I - Matt Smith's entire run was basically built around those two and River Song and how all four of them were connected, which is part of the reason it went downhill so rapidly after they left - but I do miss companions like Martha. It's much more fun when the Doctor relies on their companions as much as their companions rely on them.
i only recently got caught up with DW but from your post i take it that Bill and Nardole werent exactly liked. That last Capaldi season is one of my favorite of the DW ive seen and its in no small part because of the companions.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
People didn't like Bill? I thought it was terrible that she only got a single season. I absolutely loved the Teacher/Student dynamic with her and Capaldi.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if BBCA is going to be a jerk and not show any Capaldi episodes, I'll watch them myself before the big show.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
i only recently got caught up with DW but from your post i take it that Bill and Nardole werent exactly liked. That last Capaldi season is one of my favorite of the DW ive seen and its in no small part because of the companions.

People didn't like Bill? I thought it was terrible that she only got a single season. I absolutely loved the Teacher/Student dynamic with her and Capaldi.

Series 10 is one of my favourites for this very reason, yeah. Twelve and Bill are an amazing combination, and I thought Nardole was great fun when he was there too.

Wambo

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Hoping this Series will be better than 10. 10 was soooo boring and kinda cringey with its forced agenda, shame that the best Doctor Capaldi only got one good season.

Oct 25, 2017
I got the whole season during amazon glitch for $3, anyone know when it'll go on amazon? Is it midnight next day? 24 hours? I've never bought a current season before

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
bc2b1637594e4511f1c0175abd3586ed.png

I really want to be excited but I hated Smith, Capaldi, was squandered, and Chibnall's efforts with Broadchurch were fairly poor after S1, so my expectations are frankly rock bottom.
Please. please, please be good.
Disagree completely on Smith. I feel like even when the show is bad, the actor playing the doctor always is good. And if Chibnall drops the ball, at least we will have Whittaker's performance to look forward to.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden

11 was big in the USA because Smith was young and handsome. 12 isnt young and handsome thus America isnt interested.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Twice Upon a Time on BBCA's on-demand.

I forgot how hilarious 1's backwards attitude was.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think (or at least hope) that Capaldi's run as the Doctor will get a major reappraisal sometime down the line. Because I liked his episodes while watching them as they aired, but it was only when I rewatched large chunks of his tenure last year that it occurred to me how incredibly compelling and interesting his Doctor was -- both in his own arc (the only Doctor, of at least the modern era, that I felt really grew as a changed from beginning to end) and his toxic codependent relationship with Clara, which for my money is the most interesting (modern) Doctor/companion dynamic so far. Rewatching Twice Upon a Time last weekend really hammered home how good Capaldi was in that role, and how strong the character writing was around him. If it weren't for my nostalgic connections to Tennant being "my Doctor" I might even say Capaldi/Twelve has been the best modern Doctor so far.

Sad to see Moffat and Capaldi go, and I'm a little unsure about Chibnall as showrunner given his past Who experience (and the nosedive that Broadchurch took from s1 to 2), but I like everything I've seen so far and am excited to see what Jodie does in the role.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only 10 episodes? Thats lame. Kinda disturbing that the episode count for each season keeps gradually getting lower and lower. 13, 12, 10....

Batesity

Jan 18, 2018
Rewatching the Christmas special, there were some great lines in that and I'm going to miss Capaldi so much.

But bring on Jodie!

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

I think it stalled out more then falling off. Some of that is the show not being on Netflix anymore, where a lot of people discovered it. Some of that's obviously the casting decisions they made in S8-S10 not appealing as much to the Tumblr crowd.

Only 10 episodes? Thats lame. Kinda disturbing that the episode count for each season keeps gradually getting lower and lower. 13, 12, 10....

We are getting the Christmas special a couple weeks after Episode 10, so it's basically an 11 episode season. I'm fine with it as long as it gets rid of the clunker filler episodes they had when trying to write a 13-episode season.

Wambo

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I mean the Doctor literally freaking punched someone in Series 10 because he disagreed with his political views in a time where it was nothing to write home about to be racist. Totally doesn't fit the Doctor, not even Capaldi's doctor. Also Bill just HAD to remind the audience that she's lesbian in almost every single episode, which sadly always felt out of place. Doctor Who already did similar themes MUCH better with the Jack Harkness character in earlier seasons. (Jack still is my favorite character in new Doctor Who) In addition the supposed historical white washing that was directly addressed in an episode and the one episode with the romans in the cave ... just pure cringe because those episodes, or maybe rather the entire season, felt like a wet dream to push political beliefs of the writer(s) in the face of the audience.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the Doctor literally freaking punched someone in Series 10 because he disagreed with his political views in a time where it was nothing to write home about to be racist. Totally doesn't fit the Doctor, not even Capaldi's doctor. Also Bill just HAD to remind the audience that she's lesbian in almost every single episode, which sadly always felt out of place. Doctor Who already did similar themes MUCH better with the Jack Harkness character in earlier seasons. (Jack still is my favorite character in new Doctor Who) In addition the supposed historical white washing that was directly addressed in an episode and the one episode with the romans in the cave ... just pure cringe because those episodes, or maybe rather the entire season, felt like a wet dream to push political beliefs of the writer(s) in the face of the audience.
yeah because jack never reminded anyone of his sexuality...

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Capaldi told off his former self for being a sexist asshole. Him punching a racist isn't a problem. Especially one that just insulted his friend.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
For some reason I thought this was starting next week. Well, I got mine from Amazon so I guess I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"forced agenda"????

You are going to have to explain yourself there buddy.
You know what he means I think, sadly. Having a strong, black woman character as a companion, and lesbian on top of that, it was bound to upset the "ugh SJW agenda! :@"' crowd, and you know what these people say about a female Doctor already :/

edit: lol let's act as if Harkness didn't make a reference to his sexuality every episode he was in.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so my cable box is telling me that along with the simulcast version that will air at 1:45 Central, they're going to air a "Special Edition" at 7 Central. Will this "Special Edition" add anything new or is it just a marketing gimmick to get people to watch it again?