• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

passing_out_doctor_who.gif

Well the poster looks nice

I really can't believe BBC let it to go 2020, it's going to piss off both fans and the new viewers who liked the series, and the people who hated it.

Hell, they could probably bring in Moffat even now and he'd have a series done for 2019

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so I assume this also means no Christmas special in 2019 either.

Technically, could be New Years day 2020.

I know this is meant as a joke but Christ on a bike, can you imagine how bad that would be???

"We are evil space robots from the future and we have come to... run through your fields of wheat!"

CC has done to Doctor Who, what TM has done to the UK. TM would probably bring back Harriet Jones, and have her heroically attempt to kill the Doctor, while having Labour as the villains. Btw, look out for the Boris cameo.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
I might be ok with 2020 if it severely improves the quality of the show. Get some two parters in that bitch, work on fully fleshing out the plotlines of each episode and bring back some classic Who villains please.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Not terrible episode, but it sure was a big disappointing season. I felt like maybe 3 episodes clicked, 4 if I'm pressed and the rest could be deleted and nothing would change about how we view the crew and doctor. Only Gram I felt actually had an arc and everyone else was just around.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I just watched the final episode. I loved it, so it's a bit surprising to come here and find people mostly moaning about the showrunner and the production schedule.

I watched with one of my kids who really ships Yaz and Doctor Who, so there were plenty of very pleasing moments this time. Like when she says to Yaz "there's one more thing I have to do" and we're both grinning at each other like maniacs.

I agree that the storytelling has a more classic feel than I've been used to. I'm still in two minds about that because I did enjoy the comic strip superhero Doctor Who. But after over a decade of that, a change is a good idea.

The casting has been excellent, and the world-building is lovely. Taking this episode as a typical example, I'd love to see more of the Ux one day. Ratings have held up well, and the quality of the historicals in particular has been superb.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
So if there were one way I'd describe this finale and this series in general it's with the sentiment I've seen repeated a lot which is "...Well, there's got to be something more right?"

From the moment the first trailer appeared and everyone said "It's looks alright, but they must be holding back all the cool new monsters."
To the response to the 'no old monsters' quote being "Yeah, but, there's probably going to be some sort of reveal."
To Tim Shaw in the first episode and people saying "I mean, he can't be the real big bad."
To space racist/Not-Donald Trump/P'Ting all just kind of drifting off and everyone being like "I'm sure that means they'll all come back for the finale."
To Yaz with people saying "She's not well developed now but come Demons of the Punjab that will surely be her defining episode."
Even to the trailer for this episode where the Doctor says "I know that voice" and everyone was like "It's probably Tim Shaw. But I'm sure there's another twist."

I got to the end of the episode, the end of the series, and finally realised...no...that really is just it.
And maybe we've been conditioned by Moffat's trickery and flat out lies to always be looking for that little extra, but I can't help but feel overwhelmingly underwhelmed.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
And maybe we've been conditioned by Moffat's trickery and flat out lies to always be looking for that little extra, but I can't help but feel overwhelmingly underwhelmed.

So are some people now close to admitting that Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat were really great showrunners?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But I really do get fed up at the way fandoms show ingratitude to whichever hardworking and dedicated chump has decided to take on the poisoned chalice of producing this show.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched the final episode. I loved it, so it's a bit surprising to come here and find people mostly moaning about the showrunner and the production schedule.

I watched with one of my kids who really ships Yaz and Doctor Who, so there were plenty of very pleasing moments this time. Like when she says to Yaz "there's one more thing I have to do" and we're both grinning at each other like maniacs.

I agree that the storytelling has a more classic feel than I've been used to. I'm still in two minds about that because I did enjoy the comic strip superhero Doctor Who. But after over a decade of that, a change is a good idea.

The casting has been excellent, and the world-building is lovely. Taking this episode as a typical example, I'd love to see more of the Ux one day. Ratings have held up well, and the quality of the historicals in particular has been superb.

I think that's just a natural reaction to discovering at the end of this episode that the show proper (i.e. another full series) won't be back for over a year (and "early 2020" could mean anything up to March/April, if they choose to stretch the definition a bit, or a single New Year episode then the full series in the autumn slot again, which could mean damn-near two years at worst)

If you like this series - and I've broadly enjoyed the non-Chibnall eps and a couple of his stories - being told that after a significantly shorter series than usual you're going to get a single ep at New Year then have to wait over a year for any more is pretty disheartening. If you haven't enjoyed it then it puts the prospect of any significant change in the series (a new showrunner, new Doctor, new approach) even further off in the future - that is, if they'd got another series done and dusted in 2019, you might be looking at a change in some regard in 2020, but now you're probably looking at any change in 2021 at the earliest.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad episode but a terrible series finale, it just felt like another self contained episode with everything resolved at the end of the episode.

You start with bang and end with a bang, not a whimper.

Given that it has ended I guess I can give my thoughts on the season and the new Doctor;

This was the first time since 2005 where I have felt meh and never gave my full attention to the show, it felt safe. As for the Doctor she's also felt too safe and boring, I prefer my Doctors to be manic, wild, Scottish and 13th just lacked that.

Yaz was also underdeveloped as the show focused too heavily on Graham and Ryan.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I think that's just a natural reaction to discovering at the end of this episode that the show proper (i.e. another full series) won't be back for over a year (and "early 2020" could mean anything up to March/April, if they choose to stretch the definition a bit, or a single New Year episode then the full series in the autumn slot again, which could mean damn-near two years at worst)

If you like this series - and I've broadly enjoyed the non-Chibnall eps and a couple of his stories - being told that after a significantly shorter series than usual you're going to get a single ep at New Year then have to wait over a year for any more is pretty disheartening. If you haven't enjoyed it then it puts the prospect of any significant change in the series (a new showrunner, new Doctor, new approach) even further off in the future - that is, if they'd got another series done and dusted in 2019, you might be looking at a change in some regard in 2020, but now you're probably looking at any change in 2021 at the earliest.

Didn't we have a gap year in 2016? I'd love to see the BBC spend more money on drama and less on trash like Come Dancing, but the popularity of the latter is undeniable.

I don't really have much sympathy for the people who are always calling for a new main actor or a new showrunner. This show has a massive back catalogue and you can easily pick up boxed sets on DVD (my wife walks out of charity shops with handfuls of the things.)

So yeah, taking another gap year is a good idea. I'll bet there are still some people reading this who haven't even watched Class yet.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we have a gap year in 2016? I'd love to see the BBC spend more money on drama and less on trash like Come Dancing, but the popularity of the latter is undeniable.

I don't really have much sympathy for the people who are always calling for a new main actor or a new showrunner. This show has a massive back catalogue and you can easily pick up boxed sets on DVD (my wife walks out of charity shops with handfuls of the things.)

So yeah, taking another gap year is a good idea. I'll bet there are still some people reading this who haven't even watched Class yet.
And won't watch Class. The interest in a cancelled show is nil.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Looooooooove Jodie's Doctor, love Graham, liked Ryan and Yaz, and this series was, uh... "good" for me. Just kinda felt like a whole lot of "good"/"alright". Basically "monster of the week" stuff every time, more or less. I dunno. I'm not super confident in Chibnall's abilities as a showrunner for DW, to be honest. Moffat and RTD were doing much stronger stuff than this in their first series. There wasn't even that one episode that really, REALLY did it for me either. There's usually at least one. Rosa was great but not quite there, and The Witchfinders was brilliant before it shat the bed at the end.

And while I appreciate the lack of returning villains, is "Tim Shaw" really the best they've got?

As an absolute slut for Daleks I will have very strong opinions on their appearance during New Year's. God I hope the redesign is good.

Also, I was pissed about the gap too, but:

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, 2016 was a gap year too - and from what I recall of discussing it online, that gap wasn't well-received either. At least in that case there were a couple of Capaldi series done though, whereas here we're just finishing up the first series with a new Doctor and being told "Rightio, glad you liked/didn't like that - either way, no more for you for a year-plus!"

I'd imagined that the shorter series length was at least partly with an eye on making sure Who could be on a reliable yearly cycle again but it looks like that wasn't the case (or something has gone pretty wrong behind-the-scenes). I'm not going to call for a new Doctor (Jodie is great, and even if she wasn't, she deserves more than 11 eps) or a new showrunner (I think Chibnall's strength is in showrunning rather than writing, and he's gotten a lot right with the series this year) but I don't think it's too controversial or overly-demanding to expect that the Beeb should be able to get a series a year out with fewer episodes, and if they aren't able to then it's worth asking whether the current production setup works as well as it could. I don't want rid of Chibnall/Whittaker, but perhaps someone needs to think whether (unless you have an exceptional fan/workaholic in the role) expecting one person to run the whole shebang and write half the episodes is the most effective way of getting the show out.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looooooooove Jodie's Doctor, love Graham, liked Ryan and Yaz, and this series was, uh... "good" for me. Just kinda felt like a whole lot of "good"/"alright". Basically "monster of the week" stuff every time, more or less. I dunno. I'm not super confident in Chibnall's abilities as a showrunner for DW, to be honest. Moffat and RTD were doing much stronger stuff than this in their first series. There wasn't even that one episode that really, REALLY did it for me either. There's usually at least one. Rosa was great but not quite there, and The Witchfinders was brilliant before it shat the bed at the end.

And while I appreciate the lack of returning villains, is "Tim Shaw" really the best they've got?

As an absolute slut for Daleks I will have very strong opinions on their appearance during New Year's. God I hope the redesign is good.

Also, I was pissed about the gap too, but:

If the reason is because Jodie is pregnant (then yay)....

But I'd love to see a pregnant Doctor

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It was ok! Like most of the series, nothing special. I would have preferred to see Graham kill Tim Shaw, and the companions side with Graham and the Doctor has to leave them for a while. That would have been a more interesting set up for the next series, with the doctor taking responsibility for influencing Grace's sacrifice and not taking care of Graham well enough who was compromised by his grief.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, where was the bloody battle? The trailer mentioned lots of distress signals but we turn up after it's all blown over? Massive let down.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Sucks for the extra wait but it's hardly unique to Doctor Who these days. Drama shows with even half the episodes run on the same schedule.

We got well and truly spoiled between 2005-2010. People didn't want mid-series breaks as it went on so here we are...

Edit: Chibnall is part of the press release for S12. He's not going anywhere.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the most likely 'good news' explanation for the delay would be a return to the 13 episode format.

Not sure how I feel about that. Hour long episodes have been a failure. 15-20 minutes can easily be cut from each episode.

If we do get 13 episodes of mediocrity like this time I also won't be happy. If we are to get more turds I want less of them.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How about a return to the classic serialised format for a laugh.

48 x 20 minute episodes that will please only me.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
S12 will be my least hyped series, S11 wasn't very good but at least it had the first actress, Jodie Whittaker who was good, which helped make it more memorable. S12 I think will needs loads of fan wank, like Captain Jack returning, the return of the Dream Lord or somehow getting Eccleston for a multi doctor episode because Chibnall's ideas weren't exciting enough. The show is losing some buzz and could use some stunts (and better writing)

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ave a year long gap between the previews season and the new season.

Have a short first series. Ditch the Christmas special.

Then take another year + off before the 2nd season.

The BBC is fantastic

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
ave a year long gap between the previews season and the new season.

Have a short first series. Ditch the Christmas special.

Then take another year + off before the 2nd season.

The BBC is fantastic
If the rumors are right about it returning early 2020, then it's only a three or four month delay. I don't see it as that substantial.

Oct 27, 2017
It's laughable that RTD managed to churn out 56 episodes over four years without a gap year, and Moffat managed to churn out 60, and yet CC barely managed to put out 11 episodes, and now Doctor Who is on hiatus until 2020.
To be fair RTD managed to produced that amount of episodes by being a mad, workaholic writer with no social life and Moffat took a de facto gap year by splitting Series 7 in two halves (of course, Moffat also wrote two series of Sherlock while producing Doctor Who).

Anyway I stopped watching the series after the first two episodes and reading here and there it looks like I missed nothing. What is the suggested essential list of S11 episodes? I thought about watching Rosa, Kerblam, It takes you away and the finale.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the first season with a female doctor and such a fantastic actress was marred by such terrible writing and directing.
All it is going to do is give ammunition to the anti-femalr doctor crowd who will pretend the season (kinda) flopped because of that when really it's got nothing to do with it.

Before the season started I was excited about the new Doctor, but very hesitant about the change in showrunner and the fact the show was essentially being rebooted. And at this point I genuinely don't think the showrunner knows what made Doctor Who so popular. All the best episodes were written by guests
This is me 100%, I wanted this series to knock it out of the park but it just feels soo sterile and just there.

I kinda get the feeling that Jodie could end up being this generations Colin Baker, good actor in the role hampered by some not well written episodes (with a dash of too many people in the Tardis ala Peter Davidson's first season). If the next season is as average as this one she's really not going to be fondly looked back on.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair RTD managed to produced that amount of episodes by being a mad, workaholic writer with no social life and Moffat took a de facto gap year by splitting Series 7 in two halves (of course, Moffat also wrote two series of Sherlock while producing Doctor Who).

Anyway I stopped watching the series after the first two episodes and reading here and there it looks like I missed nothing. What is the suggested essential list of S11 episodes? I thought about watching Rosa, Kerblam, It takes you away and the finale.
Rosa was really the only episode that could be called good IMO

Kerblam and It Takes You Away were interesting enough for a watch although they totally fall off a cliff in the end

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Demons of the Punjab

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I liked that one.

Were the stolen compressed planets meant to be a reference to The Pirate Planet? Or just a coincidence.

Edit: just saw the news about 2020...disappointing but kind of expected. On the plus side, my fiancée is into Doctor Who so a gap year gives us more time to go through past seasons before the next one. It's been just about a literal decade since I've last watched the Eccleston/Tenant years so this would be a good opportunity to finally revisit those for the first time in ages.

Last edited:

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Series 11 makes every season since 2005 look like an absolute masterpiece. Genuinely recommend revisiting old episodes you don't like, just to notice how much higher in baseline quality the scripting and characterisation was for 12 straight years. I watched In The Forest Of The Night the other day and had a great time.

EDIT: I do like Demons though. Possibly the only episode to make the Doctor, companions, and this entire era of the show work.

Last edited: