• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come at last. We've made it through the secrecy, the publicity, the egg dipping and the broken ceiling- the Doctor is here, and it's time we got to know her.

DOCTOR WHO
STARTS SUNDAY 7TH OCTOBER
6:45 PM, BST

DnVL1MaXgAUmzaS

What do you need to know?

Nothing! This new series is very consciously intended to be a perfect jumping-on point, stripped of all the accretions of the series' past and continuity and with the brilliance of the concept on full display right from the beginning.

If you'd like a bit of information, though, or if you'd just like a little refresher, see below...

The Story So Far

The Doctor is a mysterious and ancient alien, who travels throughout time and space with a selection of close friends and allies in the TARDIS- Time and Relative Dimension in Space. Powered by joie de vivre and a desire to help out the little guy and to help out where they can, the Doctor and their friends have roamed the cosmos for the past 55 years on TV, with countless adventures in books, audios and comics. However, now the Doctor's about to embark on a whole new adventure- the Doctor's become a woman for the very first time.

You see, the Doctor's a Time Lord, and the Time Lords have a little trick in their arsenal to help them cheat death- they can regenerate their bodies and change their appearance. In practice, this has meant that the Doctor can be recast and continue on their adventures- up until now, this has invariably meant the casting of a new man on the role. This time, however, the role has been taken up by Jodie Whittaker- the Doctor's now a woman, at the thirteenth (or so) time of asking.

Following a run-in with the Mondasian Cybermen and his arch-frenemy the Master (twice), the Twelfth Doctor was left on the brink of death and fighting the urge to regenerate. He'd lived a long life, and even a chance encounter with his earliest self hadn't totally convinced him that he wanted to carry on.

Nevertheless, she regenerated.

Now the Doctor's got a new lease on life. Unfortunately, she's also plummeting through the sky above Sheffield, with the TARDIS having thrown her out before promptly exploding and vanishing. Cue the music...

Cast

Jodie Whittaker IS Doctor Who
Dij-WdQX0AEaUZ_

Bradley Walsh IS Graham O'Brien
Dij-g-4WAAIXGps

Tosin Cole IS Ryan Sinclair
Dij-cK4XUAAg9DN

Mandip Gill IS Yasmin Khan
Dij-eeTWsAAOxTX

Jodie Whittaker is our leading lady this time out- best known for her role in Broadchurch, where she played the grieving mother Beth Latimer, she's also had sci-fi roles in projects like Attack the Block and Black Mirror.
Bradley Walsh is a bona fide star of British TV, with a CV encompassing drama, comedy and quiz shows. Probably most obviously known for The Chase nowadays, Walsh also had a role in the Sarah Jane Adventures, as well as starring in Chris Chibnall's take on Law and Order.
Tosin Cole cut his teeth on Hollyoaks and EastEnders E20- he also appeared as Lt. Bastian in Star Wars Episode VII.
Mandip Gill also got her start on Hollyoaks- aside from the odd role in Cuckoo and Doctors, this is her most high-profile role since.

Crew

While the on-screen talent is all-new, the changes to the show run a lot deeper than that- there's a whole new creative staff in place this time around.
The headliner is Chris Chibnall, writer of Broadchurch, United, The Great Train Robbery and numerous episodes of Doctor Who and Torchwood. The new series is his concept, and he's the one who has assembled the new team to bring it to the screen. He's joined by fellow executive producer Matt Strevens, who was previously the producer on An Adventure in Space and Time, Misfits and Skins.
There's a brand new set of writing staff on board for the new series. This is made up of
  • Malorie Blackman (Noughts and Crosses, The Amazing Birthday, former Children's Laureate)
  • Ed Hime (Skins)
  • Peter McTighe (Neighbours, EastEnders, Wentworth Prison)
  • Vinay Patel (Murdered By My Father, The Good Karma Hospital)
  • Joy Wilkinson (The Life and Adventures of Nick Nickelby, Land Girls, Doctors)
There's a new lineup of directors as well. Jamie Childs is the lead director, having directed four episodes as well as the reveal for Whittaker's casting, and Mark Tonderai, Jennifer Perrott and Sallie Aphramian are all new to the series as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/dae5242d-e859-43cb-941c-e0a9f39e5928

There's also a new composer in place, following Murray Gold's departure from the series after 13 years of writing music for the show. The new composer is Segun Akinola, a rising star in the world of music composition- his Soundcloud featuring examples of his previous work can be found here. https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/6e908208-0ebe-4a2d-bcba-16f3c3a47032

Episodes
Episode 1: The Woman Who Fell to Earth
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Jamie Childs
'We don't get aliens in Sheffield.' In a South Yorkshire city, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O'Brien are about to have their lives changed for ever, as a mysterious woman, unable to remember her own name, falls from the night sky. Can they believe a word she says? And can she help solve the strange events taking place across the city?

Episode 2: The Ghost Monument
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Mark Tonderai
Still reeling from their first encounter, can the Doctor and her new friends stay alive long enough in a hostile alien environment to solve the mystery of Desolation? And just who are Angstrom and Epzo?

Episode 3: Rosa
Written by Malorie Blackman, directed by Mark Tonderai
"If she can live here her whole life, a couple of hours ain't gonna kill me. They ain't gonna kill me, right?

Montgomery, Alabama. 1955. The Doctor and her friends find themselves in the Deep South of America. As they encounter a seamstress by the name of Rosa Parks, they begin to wonder: is someone attempting to change history?

Episode 4: Arachnids in the UK
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Sallie Aphrahamian
"Something's happening with the spiders in this city."

The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz's family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield.

Episode 5: The Tsuranga Conundrum
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Jennifer Perrott
"Risk to life: absolute."

Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe's most deadly -- and unusual -- creatures.

Episode 6: Demons of the Punjab
Written by Vinay Patel, directed by Jamie Childs
"What's the point of having a mate with a time machine, if you can't nip back and see your gran when she was younger?"

India, 1947. The Doctor and her friends arrive in the Punjab, as the country is being torn apart. While Yaz attempts to discover her grandmother's hidden history, the Doctor discovers demons haunting the land. Who are they and what do they want?

Episode 7: Kerblam!
Written by Pete McTighe, directed by Jennifer Perrott
"Delivery for the Doctor!"

A mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading her, Graham, Yaz and Ryan to investigate the warehouse moon orbiting Kandoka, and the home of the galaxy's largest retailer: Kerblam!

Episode 8: The Witchfinders
Written by Joy Wilkinson, directed by Sallie Aprahamian
The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz arrive in 17th century Lancashire and become embroiled in a witch trial, run by the local landowner.

As fear stalks the land, the arrival of King James I only serves to intensify the witch hunt. But is there something even more dangerous at work? Can the Doctor and friends keep the people of Bilehurst Cragg safe from all the forces that are massing in the land?

Episode 9: It Takes You Away
Written by Ed Hime, directed by Jamie Childs
On the edge of a Norwegian fjord, in the present day, The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz discover a boarded-up cottage and a girl named Hanne in need of their help.

What has happened here?

What monster lurks in the woods around the cottage – and beyond?

Episode 10: The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Jamie Childs
On the planet of Ranskoor Av Kolos, lies the remains of a brutal battlefield. But as the Doctor, Graham, Yaz and Ryan answer nine separate distress calls, they discover the planet holds far more secrets.

Who is the mysterious commander with no memory? What lies beyond the mists? Who or what are the Ux?

The answers will lead the Doctor and her friends towards a deadly reckoning.

New Year's Special
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Wayne Yip

Media

Doctor Who: Series 11 | Release Date Trailer
FIRST LOOK: Episode 1 | The Woman Who Fell To Earth | Doctor Who
SURPRISE! Jodie Whittaker Surprises Schoolchildren | Doctor Who
Doctor Who in Thirteen Words | Doctor Who: Series 11
FULL Comic-Con Panel | Doctor Who
Thirteenth Doctor Reveal - Doctor Who

Spoiler policy
It's very simple. Episodes that have aired in the UK are fair game for talking about without spoiler tags, and footage that the BBC has officially released is too. Anything that has leaked needs spoiler tags.

Last edited:

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Space, a TV channel in Canada, is airing today a bunch of random episodes before and after the new season series premiere, but it's not airing Twice Upon A Time…

Dalek
Doomsday
Blink
The Waters of Mars
Vincent And The Doctor
The Girl Who Waited
Heaven Sent
The Woman Who Fell to Earth
Journey's End
The Stolen Earth
The Impossible Astronaut
Day of The Moon
World Enough And Time
The Doctor Falls
The Day of The Doctor
Bad Wolf

WTF are they doing and why?

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting in this, what with the new doctor AND writing staff. I hope it goes as well as Moffat's first season, but then manages to stay that good rather than cratering in quality.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT, subbed

Can't wait for tonight, Twice Upon A Time feels like a thousand years ago ;__;

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I suppose one more lifetime won't kill anybody.
...well, except me.

Capaldi was so God damn good. His last speech was an emotional rollercoaster. I am sure Whittaker will match him, and I'm so fucking excited to watch, today!

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't had a truly great first outing for a Doctor in as long as I can remember. Pull it out of the bag, Jodie.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't had a truly great first outing for a Doctor in as long as I can remember. Pull it out of the bag, Jodie.
The Eleventh Hour would fit the bill in my book; that's still an age ago, though, albeit only two doctors ago!

(If we don't count that, I think we might have to go back to Spearhead...)

Question, will the new intro be this episode?

Pretty sure I've read that no, it's going to have a different opening for the first one. New intro next week.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Oh I don't know - Ecclestons was solid and did exactly what it needed to do, David's Christmas speech and fight in his PJs was absolutely fantastic, Eleventh Hour was great all round. Capaldis was ok with hints of potential

The bar is reasonable for an opener. Hope she nails it

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to watch this later. I fell off during the Smith era and have been meaning to get back into the show for a while so this'll be a good time to come back.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious to watch this later. I fell off during the Smith era and have been meaning to get back into the show for a while so this'll be a good time to come back.

I kinda did too, and I think that's true for many

Series 5 was great, but 6 and most of 7 started to try my patience despite my view as Smith being a good Doctor not changing.

I started with Capaldi and he again was solid, but it started to feel a bit of a slog for me and I still can't put my finger on why. With some perservence Capaldi had some of the best episodes of the Nu-Run, and honestly I enjoyed Bill probably more than Amy as a companion (despite me liking Gillan) - but it felt harder work than it should.

High hopes this soft reboot relights my fire

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Eleventh Hour was bang on great. The chemistry between all the leads was great and set up the season perfectly.
10s Christmas Invasion was just too kitschzy with all the winks and nods to pop culture and he barely even featured.
Twelves felt too long and didn't follow up on some plot points (and never brought back the Paternoster Gang).

Oct 25, 2017
It's been far too long since Christmas and the last episode. Bring on the next 10 weeks and the Christmas special.
Cannot wait to see Jodie finally in action.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no real reasoning for this, but I'm convinced Jodi is going to be the best Doctor.

Gutted I'm unable to watch live as I'm in the US for the next few weeks (with no TV so BBC America isn't an option). I don't think I can hold off watching this until I get back to the UK—might have to settle for getting the episodes on Amazon or iTunes.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
As I do with all doctors, ya got 2 episodes to bring the amazing or you get dropped. So far all doctors have been good, even if the story isn't always that great. So lets keep the tradition alive of being great.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As I do with all doctors, ya got 2 episodes to bring the amazing or you get dropped. So far all doctors have been good, even if the story isn't always that great. So lets keep the tradition alive of being great.

That should be the shows tagline, right back from 1963 lol

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I absolutely adore Jodie already so I cannot wait for this. Doctor Who brings me so much joy and I hope people get over the fact that a woman is playing the character fairly quickly.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Yay, thanks for the thread Dwebble.

As for the new series, here's the thing. I'm a massive Who fan. I was very happy with RTD and very happy with Moffat. I thought Capaldi's era was some of Who's best in fact. And what I've seen from Jodie instills plenty of confidence, I think she'll be a wonderful Doctor.

However, I haven't been a fan of Chibnall's writing in the slightest, so I am concerned in that regard. Fingers crossed though.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Going to have to hope Space is still going to be streaming this after it airs, as I no longer have cable to watch it.

Oct 27, 2017
Which ways exist to watch the season live? BBC is big on the front of geoblocking, so anyone outside UK might have a hard time... as a reference point the episode airs 17.45 UTC

UK: TV and BBC One

US: BBC America
(there is a live stream online, but "To watch full episodes, you must have a cable provider that supports BBC America's full episode service and you must have BBC America as part of your cable package.")

CH: https://zattoo.com/ch/ - offers BBC One as a free livestream (geoblock for non swiss people)

FilmOn.com offers a free and legal streaming way, but it's 15€ a month... otherwise you get 2 min of watching (does anyone have experience with this site?)

Itunes usually offers the episodes on a buy basis, but I've no idea when the ep comes online, any suggestions?

Unfortunately I didn't find anything for Germany specifically... well that's the legal ways I suppose.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I note that BBC America's lead in before the premiere is The Day of the Doctor, which conveniently features 10 and 11 - and if that isn't a sign that the show's popularity fell off with 12 in the U.S., I don't know what is. Which is sad.

That said, I am ready for 13! Debating whether I want to sit through the commercials in real time or wait a bit to fast forward.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yay, thanks for the thread Dwebble.

As for the new series, here's the thing. I'm a massive Who fan. I was very happy with RTD and very happy with Moffat. I thought Capaldi's era was some of Who's best in fact. And what I've seen from Jodie instills plenty of confidence, I think she'll be a wonderful Doctor.

However, I haven't been a fan of Chibnall's writing in the slightest, so I am concerned in that regard. Fingers crossed though.

I'm on the fence

His Who output has been largely miss, but his Broadchurch Season 1 and 3 output was very solid

It's been 6 years since his last Who episodes pre-Jodie according to Wiki. Hoping he's come on leaps and bounds

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'm on the fence

His Who output has been largely miss, but his Broadchurch Season 1 and 3 output was very solid

It's been 6 years since his last Who episodes pre-Jodie according to Wiki. Hoping he's come on leaps and bounds

Hm. I liked Broadchurch season 1 quite a bit, same with Torchwood season 2, and since that was an improvement over his season 1 output I won't fault him for the latter. Then you have Broadchurch season 2 though, which I thought was a huge stinker, and I wasn't as positive on season 3 as some people were. That just didn't come near the highs of season 1 for me.

Anyway, I am hopeful his old Who output isn't too indicative of what he'll be doing for this series, yeah. Like you say it has been years since his last one, and he's in control now so that should change things. But I do have some concerns already from the reviews I've read, so I'm just keeping my expectations a bit lower here. I'm just not expecting an opener like Moffat's The Eleventh Hour, which I absolutely adored.

(Though even if I do end up feeling mixed on certain things I'll still watch it all, haha)

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hm. I liked Broadchurch season 1 quite a bit, same with Torchwood season 2, and since that was an improvement over his season 1 output I won't fault him for the latter. Then you have Broadchurch season 2 though, which I thought was a huge stinker, and I wasn't as positive on season 3 as some people were. That just didn't come near the highs of season 1 for me.

Broadchurch S2 was an amazing drop in quality - I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for the writers rooms on that.

Seriously - what the hell

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
bc2b1637594e4511f1c0175abd3586ed.png

I really want to be excited but I hated Smith, Capaldi was squandered, and Chibnall's efforts with Broadchurch were fairly poor after S1, so my expectations are frankly rock bottom.
Please. please, please be good.

Basically this. I've put up with DW being mediocre for so long hoping it'd return to the heights of Tennant and Eccleston and it just hasn't happened, and I can't wait any longer.

Last edited: