• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
On that note, the Doctor telling that girl not to take her medication really rubbed me the wrong way.

Yeah. I know if one of my adult kids doesn't take their medication, things go south very fast. I don't happen to agree with the writer on quite a few subjects (he's a Catholic and I'm an atheist, for instance) but I appreciate his skills as one of the most talented living English writers.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
feeling crummy today, so just wanted to lay on the couch and watch some telly. With all the talk of past seasons, I thought I'd watch Rose.
I was never a big fan of it on transmission, but I like it more on every rewatch. I love it. The sequence from the Doctor going to Rose's flat to the Doctor leaving in the TARDIS is superb.
I always forget how hilarious it is. gutted we only got one season with Eccleston, but I will always treasure it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Eccleston's fantastic (heh) but I actually kind of like that he regenerates when he does because the first series introduces you to all the basic tenets of Doctor Who then.

Last edited:

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Plus 1 for Eccleston. I watched his season for the first time yesterday and I was enthralled. I think he's my favorite doctor thus far.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's so many great small details I'm picking up on rewatching the Peter Capaldi years. In Hell Bent the Doctor holding his hand out to Clara saying, "This way, I can save you" is almost exactly like when the Doctor saves Capaldi's character in Fires of Pompeii saying "Come with me", down to the bright light in behind. Given that this particular moment was supposedly the inspiration behind the Doctor choosing Capaldi's face and was directly flash backed to in The Girl Who Died, I'm sure it was intentional.

Qup4UJO.jpg

To me Twelve really often felt like an extension of Ten, much more so than of Eleven, with the same themes from The Fires of Pompeii and The Waters of Mars continuing. The Doctor in The Girl Who Died and Hell Bent is the Time Lord Victorious.

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched The Witchfinders. The historicals really are the star episodes of the season.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Going back to Series 9's Under the Lake/Before the Flood since it was discussed on the last page, I rewatched them and they're fantastic. It's a suspenseful, intriguing story with a strong supporting cast which can be rare for Doctor Who. Capaldi's Doctor really shines here and has a lot of genuinely funny moments like with the cards Clara gives him. The two companions the Doctor took with him reminded me of Amy and Rory and in just one episode are fetter better and more likeable than 13's companions, excluding Graham. We see people noticing how much Clara has become like the Doctor, making people risk their lives. The story's ending is great and the time travel aspects feel clearly planned from the beginning.

It's also much more important for the Doctor and Clara's relationship than I remembered and sets the building blocks and foreshadowing for the series conclusion in Hell Bent.

DOCTOR: It means I die.
CLARA: No, not necessarily. We can change the sequence of events so
DOCTOR: This isn't a potential future. This is the future now. It's already happened. The proof is right there in front of you. I have to die.
CLARA: No. You can change things.
DOCTOR: I can't. Even the tiniest change, the ramifications could be catastrophic. It could spread carnage and chaos across the universe like ripples on a pond. Oh, well, I've had a good innings. I've got to go sometime.
CLARA: Not with me! Die with whoever comes after me. You do not leave me.
DOCTOR: Listen to me. We all have to face death eventually, be it ours or someone else's.
CLARA: I'm not ready yet. I don't want to think about that, not yet.
DOCTOR: I can't change what's already happened. There are rules.
CLARA: So break them. And anyway, you owe me. You've made yourself essential to me. You've given me something else to, to be. And you can't do that and then die. It's not fair.
DOCTOR: Clara.
CLARA: No. Doctor, I don't care about your rules or your bloody survivor's guilt. If you love me in any way, you'll come back.

Bennett has legitimate reasoning to criticize the Doctor too for only feeling motivated enough to save Clara and not O'Donell.

BENNETT: Yeah. Yeah. Except now you're going to do something about it, aren't you? Yeah, because it's getting closer to you. You change history to save yourself but not to save O'Donnell. You wouldn't save her.
DOCTOR: This isn't about saving me. I'm a dead man walking. I'm changing history to save Clara.

It's a better story than anything that's come out of S11, and primarily because it focuses on character development.

Regarding S11, early reviews for tomorrow's episode are positive and it's apparently more Moffat-y and fairy tale-like, so my hopes are up.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/it-takes-you-away-advance-review-89802.htm

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
"Whatever you do, avoid to much interaction with locals so you don't affect future timelines"

"Immediately confronts king fucking James and tries to get him to open up about his feelings and talks about aliens"

Oct 25, 2017
The BBC have released their Christmas trailer and Doctor Who gets 1 second right at the end with it being the same clip we saw in one of the trailers building up to the launch of the series.

This has to be the first year I'm not excited for the Christmas New Year episode.
Kind of just want the series over now so its done and dusted and I've never felt this way about Doctor Who before, very odd feeling.

I wont quit it, I dont ever see a reason to quit a show just because it's become a shadow of its former self. I've stuck with it through times like these before and will continue to do so but as mentioned earlier, its a weird feeling to be so disappointed with the show right now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
that was a great episode. Perhaps best of the series for me. Graham made me chop onions towards the end. As soon as he walked out of that cabin I fucking knew they were going to be mean to him. Just one look from him and I'm tearing up.

Its a nod to how good it was that I didn't even mind the frog doing a hadouken.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
That was one of the most enjoyable episodes in some time, was impressed. Also liked the backwards Slayer t-shirt. Give the writer of that one the franchise!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was a really good one and easily the best non historical episode of this series. Lots of good stuff and the frog was incredible.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was certainly an ambitious episode. While I don't think everything landed perfectly, it was still great. Like others have said, it is one of the best of the series. So sad that next week is the finale.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I thought that episode was absolutely amazing. I thought Rosa and Punjab were great episodes too, but this one's right up there with my other favorite Who episodes, I'm really happy I got to see an episode like that this series! Add Kerblam and Witchfinders to that, and to a lesser extend Woman Who Fell to Earth, and you do have a good 5 to 6 episodes I'm rather fond of here.

So if the finale impresses I think I'll actually be fairly happy with this season after being down on a lot of it. That said... it looks pretty bland in the trailers. So we'll see.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen The Witchfinders, but last night's episode and Kerblam were the more like classic Dr Who episodes so far. Last night had more focus on danger and Jodie Whittaker felt like the Doctor. It seemed more like an investigation team rather than the Doctor acting like the smartest one in the room.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The ending of this episode was brought to you by David Lynch.

The quality of the writing, banter dialogue and all reminded me of some if the earlier Moffat stuff minus the Moffat tropes, if that makes any sense.

I immediately recognised that Ribbons was Kevin Eldon, having rewatched some Big Train recently.

Nov 3, 2017
Rosa and Demons of the Punjab remain my favourite episodes of the season, but this is an easy third

As much as I loved the crazy multiverse twist though, I would also have loved a good old fashioned trapped in a cabin by a monster story the episode initially presented as

Oct 28, 2017
England
I thought that episode was absolutely amazing. I thought Rosa and Punjab were great episodes too, but this one's right up there with my other favorite Who episodes, I'm really happy I got to see an episode like that this series! Add Kerblam and Witchfinders to that, and to a lesser extend Woman Who Fell to Earth, and you do have a good 5 to 6 episodes I'm rather fond of here.

So if the finale impresses I think I'll actually be fairly happy with this season after being down on a lot of it. That said... it looks pretty bland in the trailers. So we'll see.

I agree. This seasons lows have been low indeed, but I think when all is said and done we'll see over half of this season was at the least good. Not one of the best seasons of Who to be sure, but not a complete write-off.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was certainly something. Thought the exposition got a little heavy towards the end. However, the direction and music was on point and for the first time, the series felt confident in its new identity.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was excellent- something genuinely new and different for the show.

Rosa, Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam!, The Witchfinders, It Takes You Away... that's a damned fine list of guest writer episodes.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I though the antizone stuff was a bit unnecessary in the grand scheme of things but I do think that probably was the best ep so far.
Also, Chibs is really down on malicious threats 9 eps, only 3 of the threats have been deliberately malicious (Time Shaw, Future Racist and Charlie)

That ep also ruined the moth meme for me ;)

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
That was one of the most enjoyable episodes in some time, was impressed. Also liked the backwards Slayer t-shirt. Give the writer of that one the franchise!
Oh fuck, I just realised that the reason the earcuff was on the wrong ear this episode is because they flipped the video when they were in the mirror dimension

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
That was excellent- something genuinely new and different for the show.

Rosa, Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam!, The Witchfinders, It Takes You Away... that's a damned fine list of guest writer episodes.
The guest writers have really brought this series back from the brink for me, I'd rate all of those episodes higher than Chibnall's solo ones. Hopefully the finale won't disappoint. More guest writer episodes next series please!

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Yay an old gag returns! We all know which one and it worked perfectly! also the end just made me bawl up...I mean throughout the season we all knew it was going to arrive at some point but when it hit...MAN it hit hard

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Finally the series got it right. That was my fave of Whitakers run so far.

Ive heard the writer is currently working on a Sapphire and Steel reboot and that makes me rather excited after seeing his Who episode being rather surreal and weird.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of this episode was brought to you by David Lynch.

The quality of the writing, banter dialogue and all reminded me of some if the earlier Moffat stuff minus the Moffat tropes, if that makes any sense.

I immediately recognised that Ribbons was Kevin Eldon, having rewatched some Big Train recently.

I liked that this odd little alien called Graham an 'old codger' and that he'd be 'delicious for tea'. This entire season is writ through with northern dialog even for the Aliens :)

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they got teleported to a hell dimension which I enjoyed. And by the end of the episode there was a friend frog that was god of a universe.

What a weird, fun ep.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Well, to avoid the risk of the thread being accused of groupthink, I thought that was terrible; the worst episode of the series by far. Typical of the worst of New Who - plenty of interesting ideas and setup then a godawful resolution.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what to think about that episode really.

In some ways it felt like somebody had 2 or 3 different ideas for Doctor Who episodes and then just sort of jammed them all together. So it felt really disjointed in that way.

Like, we spent ages in the Anti-zone or whatever, and I was interested in this half-world and its rules, but it just feels like padding out the running time when you put it in context with the rest of the episode.

Then again there was some really great character related stuff, especially with Graham. That shit was heart-breaking.

But then the frog thing was really stupid. Look, Doctor Who is inherently a weird show, and that's great, but there's a time and a place for terrible rubber frogs, and that was not it.

My feeling at that moment was that they had a really good episode going, and then they bundled up everything they had built up over the course of the story and tossed it off a cliff for absolutely no reason. It's like this series has absolutely no idea how to stick the landing of a story.

But then the "granddad" moment was really good.

But also I feel like Yaz didn't really have much going on in this episode.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they wasted the idea of the Anti-zone on one episode. This could'e been a two parter easily.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The quality difference between the film and VHS is something else. But man, I'm excited!

Now re-release Season 12 already you bastards!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a couple weeks behind but just caught up with Kerblam! last night and thought that was the best one of the season so far. Not quite sure if it the overall message was pro- or anti-labor, though

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Finally the series got it right. That was my fave of Whitakers run so far.

Ive heard the writer is currently working on a Sapphire and Steel reboot and that makes me rather excited after seeing his Who episode being rather surreal and weird.
What? Didn't Steven Moffat already do that with Matt Smith as Steel?
/jk

One of my criticisms of the Moffat era was that so much of the weird stuff like wishes and metaphors becoming tangible in every second episode ( example: love conquers all ) was that they worked well in Sapphire and Steel and less well in Doctor Who. RTD occasionally fell into this trap but it just got silly for several seasons before he dialled it back in recent seasons.

And also why I am enjoying the current season even if it is often lacklustre.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked that they got a genuinely blind actress to play Hanne. As the actress herself says most roles for blind characters go to sighted actors.