• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cool to see this rumor finally confirmed:

Lost Patrick Troughton serial The Macra Terror is being reconstructed with animation, set to release in March 2019

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=brand-new-animation-of-missing-doctor-who-serial-the-macra-terror-to-be-released- on-dvd-and-bluray#_

The art also looks like the best these missing episode animations have ever looked.

Wow. That's going to be great to see. It's an odd story for various reasons but welcome.
I dunno why they won't commit to doing all wheel in space (which has troughton and cybermen) for its video release when they already did 10 minutes). Or either of the Dalek stories that are mostly missing (Daleks Masterplan and Evil of the Daleks)

And a (very short) teaser: https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWho/videos/368766310363139/
That's a shame on both accounts, I think Matt's second theme is up there with the best renditions of the main theme, and same for the Day of the Doctor one.

The odd thing about what we hear at the end of Day of the Doctor is that it's basically the season 7 theme without the Murray Gold flourishes (ie the big brass during the buildup) and other little notes here and there, which is why it sounds so sparse.

e0oIn78.jpg

Jesus. Dead

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The first watch of this week's episode left me feeling quite confused and a bit mixed, but I really felt much more positive about it on a rewatch. The sci-fi concepts were a bit muddled and over-explained, but the emotional threads worked better on me with that second watch. Music and production is also very great on this episode.
If only there were 13 episodes I'd probably feel less sour about this season. I really liked almost all the episodes so far, but Tsuranga just left an awful, awful impression. Having 3 more decent to good episodes would have diluted that awful taste.
I agree that having more decent episodes like the guest written ones of the past few weeks might've improved my view of the season.

But strangely, I find myself liking the season less and less as time goes on despite thinking that those last few episodes were much better than stuff like Tsuranga and Arachnids (and really, thinking back, even Rosa wasn't quite that good)... The excitement of a new Doctor is completely worn off, and now I just hate Ryan and Yaz and want them gone.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I would keep Ryan but ditch Yaz. Yaz seems like a pointless extra and I feel like I still barely know her compared to previous companions, Ryan has more character. With her gone you could give Ryan more to do and spend more time developing his relationship with Graham too.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I would keep Ryan but ditch Yaz. Yaz seems like a pointless extra and I feel like I still barely know her compared to previous companions, Ryan has more character. With her gone you could give Ryan more to do and spend more time developing his relationship with Graham too.
Yeah, Graham and Ryan share an important connection, but the same's not really true for Yaz. She's just... there. And most of the time she doesn't even have anything meaningful to contribute. Feels as if she was added to the show as an afterthought.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Honestly, the actor for Ryan is terrible. But it's a better character than Yaz. While Yaz has a much better actor but is a nothing character.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I would keep Ryan but ditch Yaz. Yaz seems like a pointless extra and I feel like I still barely know her compared to previous companions. With her gone you could give Ryan more to do and spend more time developing his relationship with Graham too.
Yaz really serves no purpose, true. I find it offensive that the biggest actual moment she was given all season was putting the terrorist in Kerblam under a hold for a couple of seconds before he got away. Demons of Punjab should've been her episode to shine, but she barely matters for that story. I feel bad for Mandip.

But still, if you made me choose between the two instead of getting rid of them both, I'll still go with Ryan. Because, my god, he's so unlikable. Tosin Cole feels so stilted and uncomfortable in every scene, and character-wise, not much came out of his dyspraxia after the first episode, and I found the moment he finally called Graham "grandad" last week surprisingly unearned. We were all expecting it, and I was looking forward to it, but when it finally came it was simply...meh. They didn't build to it right, should've at least had them both share a moment with alternative reality Grace... Besides, considering that Yaz has more potential to have a Clara S8 turnaround, and I don't think Bradley Walsh is sticking around after New Year's, I don't want to be subjected to Ryan when Graham isn't around.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Bradley Walsh is the lone bright spot of this season, if he goes and everything else stays the same....it will not be good

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Yaz really serves no purpose, true. I find it offensive that the biggest actual moment she was given all season was putting the terrorist in Kerblam under a hold for a couple of seconds before he got away. Demons of Punjab should've been her episode to shine, but she barely matters for that story. I feel bad for Mandip.

But still, if you made me choose between the two instead of getting rid of them both, I'll still go with Ryan. Because, my god, he's so unlikable. Tosin Cole feels so stilted and uncomfortable in every scene, and character-wise, not much came out of his dyspraxia after the first episode, and I found the moment he finally called Graham "grandad" last week surprisingly unearned. We were all expecting it, and I was looking forward to it, but when it finally came it was simply...meh. They didn't build to it right, should've at least had them both share a moment with alternative reality Grace... Besides, considering that Yaz has more potential to have a Clara S8 turnaround, and I don't think Bradley Walsh is sticking around after New Year's, I don't want to be subjected to Ryan when Graham isn't around.
If Walsh leaves, then I agree that I'd rather see Yaz returning than Ryan, but at the same time I don't even want to imagine him leaving. He's by far and wide the best companion of the current set and it'd be such a shame to see him go.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I have to wonder why they haven't gotten around to do an animated reconstruction for the missing episode in The Web of Fear yet? It's only missing the one episode and feels strange to do another full serial reconstruction instead of finishing off the stuff with only one episode missing. Unless there is still hope for the missing episode to turn up one day.

It's probably got a bit stranded as it's got caught up in the end of the Classic DVD range and the start of this new era of DVD/Blu-ray/Steelbook releases. Animating one missing episode would be cheaper but makes it a hard sell as a deluxe Blu-ray Steelbook release.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Bradley Walsh is the lone bright spot of this season, if he goes and everything else stays the same....it will not be good

Graham is the MVP!

He got me close to blubbering in the previous episode...

I like the whole gang, even Ryan who is a bit annoying (intentionally so or not), but it's Graham whom gives this series that extra little sparkle. I truly hope he stays on throughout Jodie's time as The Doctor, otherwise I will swiftly lose interest.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've been rewatching Doctor Who Christmas Specials over the last week or two. Tonight it was "The Next Doctor".

Boy has the show changed since then. People will talk about how big the leap is from classic to new, but the leap from Davies to Chibnall sometimes feels just as dramatic.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder why they haven't gotten around to do an animated reconstruction for the missing episode in The Web of Fear yet? It's only missing the one episode and feels strange to do another full serial reconstruction instead of finishing off the stuff with only one episode missing. Unless there is still hope for the missing episode to turn up one day.

I think it's the latter. As far as everyone knows, that episode still exists and Phil Morris has been trying to negotiate its acquisition for a few years.

It's probably got a bit stranded as it's got caught up in the end of the Classic DVD range and the start of this new era of DVD/Blu-ray/Steelbook releases. Animating one missing episode would be cheaper but makes it a hard sell as a deluxe Blu-ray Steelbook release.
I don't think they've suspended individual classic releases just yet... they just put out a special edition of Enemy of the World this year, have Macra Terror coming next year, and supposedly a Wheel in Space release (but prob not with animation) is coming next year too.

I've been rewatching Doctor Who Christmas Specials over the last week or two. Tonight it was "The Next Doctor".

Boy has the show changed since then. People will talk about how big the leap is from classic to new, but the leap from Davies to Chibnall sometimes feels just as dramatic.

I remember thinking how big a leap it was just going from The End of Time to The Eleventh Hour!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest what other episodes are they apparently close to reobtaining? I didn't think they would recover anymore after the last lot.
No one really knows, and the only reason we know about Web of Fear 3 is because Phil Morris has talked about that episode being among the ones found in Nigeria, and that he knows where it is now and has been working to obtain it. One of the restoration team mentioned at some point this year that he knows of at least 1-2 missing episodes in the hands of private collectors that may be turned over someday but didn't say what they were.

There have been educated guesses about which episodes are likeliest to turn up based on their last known whereabouts. Off the top of my head, those would be Abominable Snowmen, Wheel in Space, the last episode of The Tenth Planet, a stray episode from Daleks Master Plan and either the first or last episode of Power of the Daleks. But of course no guarantee these episodes actually exist at all anymore! Who knows what'll turn up next and when... when you consider something like Daleks Master Plan, which is the least likely to survive (only sold overseas to one country and they rejected it) still has a quarter of its episodes + clips intact, and Marco Polo, which was the most widely sold story, has absolutely nothing left, just about anything is possible.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It Takes You Away could have actually been a good episode for Ryan if it focused more on his abandonment issues, like when he assumed that the kid's father left her because his own father did, and if he got to the mirror universe too. It could have made his moment calling Graham grandad more earned. Instead we see him get knocked out with a door by a blind kid and lock her up telling her it's no use to call the police.

Unfortunately the actor can't act too.

I also think it would have been interested if the frog had taken the form of the Doctor and appealed to her desire to be a god.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'd completely forgotten that Chibnall was chosen in January of 2016. That means he had over two years to plan all of this.

I'm pretty sure Moffat put together Series 8 in a matter of months after Matt Smith decided to leave. Matt announced he was leaving in June, Capaldi was announced in August, Smith's final episode was filmed in September, and filming on S8 began in January.

Last edited:

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
tbf, Chibnall was doing Broadchurch S3 during 2016 then had to take 2017 for wrangling a new set of writers and production crew and all the things that go with pre-production for what is essentially a brand-new show. Though that's certainly no excuse for some of these stories being a bit unpolished and undercooked.

idk what juice Moffat was taking to be able to do both Doctor Who and Sherlock, but personally, I found that the quality of the DW stories greatly improved around the time that the quality of Sherlock dived off a cliff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
tbf, Chibnall was doing Broadchurch S3 during 2016 then had to take 2017 for wrangling a new set of writers and production crew and all the things that go with pre-production for what is essentially a brand-new show. Though that's certainly no excuse for some of these stories being a bit unpolished and undercooked.

idk what juice Moffat was taking to be able to do both Doctor Who and Sherlock, but personally, I found that the quality of the DW stories greatly improved around the time that the quality of Sherlock dived off a cliff.

Moffat at least had Gatiss helping him with Sherlock.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
These companions are the worst. I think Amy was a better cop than yaz and she was just cosplaying. Ryan is like watching a cardboard cutout trying to act. Replace him with the guy from star wars or someone with that personality. Graham is ok, but kind of dull most of the time. Maybe if he had better material to work with

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
These companions are the worst. I think Amy was a better cop than yaz and she was just cosplaying. Ryan is like watching a cardboard cutout trying to act. Replace him with the guy from star wars or someone with that personality. Graham is ok, but kind of dull most of the time. Maybe if he had better material to work with
I was actually thinking too that if John Boyega hadn't gotten Star Wars money he could have been great as (a better written) Ryan.

Sherlock Series 3 have not been as good but yeah it's still amazing that Moffat (with some help) produced Series 7 part 2, the 50th anniversary special, a Doctor exit, a new series with a new Doctor, and a new Sherlock Series all in just a couple of years. He was firing on all cylinders.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Sherlock Series 3 have not been as good but yeah it's still amazing that Moffat (with some help) produced Series 7 part 2, the 50th anniversary special, a Doctor exit, a new series with a new Doctor, and a new Sherlock Series all in just a couple of years. He was firing on all cylinders.

It's great to see people finally showing appreciation for the huge amount of hard work that goes into these television productions.

As for Series 11, here's a little story I've told before. In 1988 a new SF sitcom appeared on BBC2. It was a bit trashy and full of blokey humour, but I thought I'd give it a while to settle down. By Series 3 it really got into a groove, with snappy writing and great ensemble acting. How much these guys had improved in just three short series. Then the BBC showed repeats of the first two series. Magically, those earlier episodes of Red Dwarf had now acquired the same qualities I ascribed to the new ones.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Geez I pretty much disagree with the majority of this thread.

I like all three companions, enjoying this season, love Jodie's Doctor, and outside of the lack of real story arcs, like the direction this season has gone. It no longer feels like sci fi for sci fi or horror or melodrama sake. Some of the episodes feel like the director and writer had things to say.

And I'm not even a new fan, or even a New Who only fan; my favorites are eighth and seventh.

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017

I like all three companions, enjoying this season, love Jodie's Doctor, and outside of the lack of real story arcs, like the direction this season has gone. It no longer feels like sci fi for sci fi or horror or melodrama sake. Some of the episodes feel like the director and writer had things to say.

And I'm not even a new fan, or even a New Who only fan; my favorites are eighth and seventh.

Gotta have to add some positivity as well, because I love this new series despite its shortcomings. I love the new cast, the new production values, and the fresh new writers. It's not as great as I wanted it to be, but it's still really engaging and fun.

It feels like the series is ending too abruptly just as I'm getting settled in, and I really really wish there was more.

Here's to hoping that the next series will fulfill the potential of the great things introduced in the current one. I wanna see how Daleks are filmed with this fancy new aspect ratio and anamorphic lenses!

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
No one really knows, and the only reason we know about Web of Fear 3 is because Phil Morris has talked about that episode being among the ones found in Nigeria, and that he knows where it is now and has been working to obtain it. One of the restoration team mentioned at some point this year that he knows of at least 1-2 missing episodes in the hands of private collectors that may be turned over someday but didn't say what they were.

There have been educated guesses about which episodes are likeliest to turn up based on their last known whereabouts. Off the top of my head, those would be Abominable Snowmen, Wheel in Space, the last episode of The Tenth Planet, a stray episode from Daleks Master Plan and either the first or last episode of Power of the Daleks. But of course no guarantee these episodes actually exist at all anymore! Who knows what'll turn up next and when... when you consider something like Daleks Master Plan, which is the least likely to survive (only sold overseas to one country and they rejected it) still has a quarter of its episodes + clips intact, and Marco Polo, which was the most widely sold story, has absolutely nothing left, just about anything is possible.
I love that even 50+ years on there is still hope for recovering more of Troughtons era :) I honestly thought after the last lot that might be it but glad to know we might still be getting more. The last episode of The Tenth Planet would be an absolutely amazing get though if it turned up.

Unrelated purchased on a whim off iTunes "I am the Doctor" from the 50th anniversary album, it's making me kinda miss how good the music was in the show. I get that Murray Golds themes could be abit much at time, but whenever I am the Doctor started to play it just got me soo hyped for what was about to happen. This season just feels soo cold and emotionless without the awesome Murray Gold themes running through it.

I'm soo upset this season didn't knock it out of the park, I had big hopes for Jodie and the show but it just seems like it's just there. Jodie is great but I feel much like Colin she's being hampered by the scripts and how her Doctor is written. Like Peter Davidsons first season the cast is just crowded and not giving her enough time to shine and be amazing. I really wanted to love this season, to have it be the best yet of new Who, but it might be the worst and while I still like it, it's just not as amazing as I feel it should be.

I'd completely forgotten that Chibnall was chosen in January of 2016. That means he had over two years to plan all of this.

I'm pretty sure Moffat put together Series 8 in a matter of months after Matt Smith decided to leave. Matt announced he was leaving in June, Capaldi was announced in August, Smith's final episode was filmed in September, and filming on S8 began in January.
I'd be super interested to know how much of season 8 was changed for Peter, wasn't most of season 5 written with David in mind and only slightly changed for Matt? I'm not sure I can see Matt in some of those season 8 stories or how the whole Danny Pink thing would have worked with him as the Doctor.

Last edited:

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the "grandad" moment in It Takes You Away, I was kinda thinking it probably would have been better to have Ryan wanting to stay in the mirror verse. After all, he's the one with abandonment issues. And then when he was forced to admit that this Grace didn't care about Graham, he'd also have been forced to admit that the real Grace did and that she would never have wanted to leave Graham alone again (ie. why she was always trying to get Ryan to call him grandad). Then Ryan has to make a choice between the fake gran he loved and his new real 'grandad' who he was always a bit distant from, chooses Graham, and then finally calls him grandad.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I can't disagree with the things you like about the season. I just think the execution hasn't been very good. I like the companions, though I think the individual episodes aren't very good at balancing three companions and giving them all worthwhile screen time. Jodie is great as the Doctor, but the writing for her has been frustratingly weird in certain places. I'm totally okay with the lack of villains from previous Who episodes, and a lack of an ongoing season-long arc, but none of the new villains introduced are all that interesting.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be super interested to know how much of season 8 was changed for Peter, wasn't most of season 5 written with David in mind and only slightly changed for Matt? I'm not sure I can see Matt in some of those season 8 stories or how the whole Danny Pink thing would have worked with him as the Doctor.

As far as I know only Amy Pond (or even just the Eleventh Hour) was written for David Tennant. When David decided to leave, Moffat had to retool for a new Doctor but the overall structure remained the same (Doctor meets young Amy, accidentally leaves her alone for 20 years, comes back and takes her away).

I can't imagine any of Season 8 working for Matt though. The Danny Pink stuff would look completely different with a younger Matt Smith than it did with Peter Capaldi.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know only Amy Pond (or even just the Eleventh Hour) was written for David Tennant. When David decided to leave, Moffat had to retool for a new Doctor but the overall structure remained the same (Doctor meets young Amy, accidentally leaves her alone for 20 years, comes back and takes her away).

I can't imagine any of Season 8 working for Matt though. The Danny Pink stuff would look completely different with a younger Matt Smith than it did with Peter Capaldi.
Strangely Kill the Moon was written for Matt Smith, I'd think it had to have undergone some major changes.

I still think it's a great episode, especially with what it does to Clara and the Doctor's relationship and sets up Mummy.

Matt Smith was so much better for the Amy Pond story because his Doctor's basically Peter Pan taking her to Neverland.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
Strangely Kill the Moon was written for Matt Smith, I'd think it had to have undergone some major changes.

I still think it's a great episode, especially with what it does to Clara and the Doctor's relationship and sets up Mummy.

Matt Smith was so much better for the Amy Pond story because his Doctor's basically Peter Pan taking her to Neverland.

Who undergoes alot of script changes I guess. I read that The Doctor's Wife had to be rewritten because it was originally supposed to be in the period after the Byzantium when Rory didn't exist and vice versa for Vincent and the Doctor.

I agree with Amy Pond. She became her character because that era of The Doctor was basically a fairy tale and she was perfect for it. I think Amy is one of the best companions (if not the best) of nuWho and I always wonder how her story would have gone without Rory (I assume Rory wouldn't exist if she was Tennant's companion).

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Who undergoes alot of script changes I guess. I read that The Doctor's Wife had to be rewritten because it was originally supposed to be in the period after the Byzantium when Rory didn't exist and vice versa for Vincent and the Doctor.

I agree with Amy Pond. She became her character because that era of The Doctor was basically a fairy tale and she was perfect for it. I think Amy is one of the best companions (if not the best) of nuWho and I always wonder how her story would have gone without Rory (I assume Rory wouldn't exist if she was Tennant's companion).
That makes sense, I haven't watched The Doctor's Wife in years but I remember it seeming a little out of place.

Absolutely agreed about Amy. I'd imagine that with Tennant and without Rory it could have been a little Rose 2.0-like and a little too reminiscent of the Madame de Pompadour story. With Amy and Rory being companions it's a unique relationship to the Doctor because they outgrow him. Tennant was fantastic, but the story needed someone unburdened by all the guilt and loneliness, someone who represented pure escapism and magic to Amy.

And apparently Moffat had planned to leave after the 50th along with Matt Smith, but then became enthusiastic when he cast Peter Capaldi. I have no idea how he put together Series 8 in time for filming in about four months.

Last edited:

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Neil Gaiman would do something with Who again. I think he could do wonders with Jodie as The Doctor.

May 26, 2018
Jesus, I just watched It Takes you Away.

Sometimes you get episodes like that, and Heaven Sent, and you wonder how we fans of a show with farting babies and nazi dustbins and bubblewrap monsters... get blindingly brilliant, creative, and emotional episodes like that. And absurd. Completely absurd and amazing and everything I love about Doctor Who. It was so much in one go I almost couldn't take it. Like, spread it out, don't give me the entire circus in a single act. I love it but oh my god my poor brain. And there's a frog.

Anyway, fucking bravo. Eric was the writer's name? Eric better get a blank check from here because he's a wondrous madman. Just hope he's got something left in the tank.

Last edited:

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
So for someone who hadn't ever watched an episode of Doctor Who before this current season seemed like a really good jumping in point to get a taste. Marathoned the current season (besides the finale on Sunday) and its been a fun ride and I didn't feel really lost. I think after the end of this current season I'll go back and start from season 1 (2005). Anyone wondering if they should give it a try starting with season 11 its not a bad place to start.

I watched off BBC America (youtubeTV) but it looks like Amazon Prime has all the back episodes as well.

May 26, 2018
So for someone who hadn't ever watched an episode of Doctor Who before this current season seemed like a really good jumping in point to get a taste. Marathoned the current season (besides the finale on Sunday) and its been a fun ride and I didn't feel really lost. I think after the end of this current season I'll go back and start from season 1 (2005). Anyone wondering if they should give it a try starting with season 11 its not a bad place to start.

I watched off BBC America (youtubeTV) but it looks like Amazon Prime has all the back episodes as well.

Just be sure to give the earlier stuff a chance if you don't feel it right away. It may not look as good, but it's got about the same rhythm. Goofy and generally fun adventures peppered with blasts of amazing drama and creativity.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, I just watched It Takes you Away.

Sometimes you get episodes like that, and Heaven Sent, and you wonder how we fans of a show with farting babies and nazi dustbins and bubblewrap monsters... get blindingly brilliant, creative, and emotional episodes like that. And absurd. Completely absurd and amazing and everything I love about Doctor Who. It was so much in one go I almost couldn't take it. Like, spread it out, don't give me the entire circus in a single act. I love it but oh my god my poor brain

Anyway, fucking bravo. Eric was the writer's name? Eric better get a blank check from here because he's a wondrous madman. Just hope he's got something left in the tank.
I'm not going to try to convince you that you shouldn't like it but I don't know how anyone can even compare it to Heaven Sent

May 26, 2018
I'm not going to try to convince you that you shouldn't like it but I don't know how anyone can even compare it to Heaven Sent

Because that episode completely appealed to, like, almost all of my sensibilities. Are they the same kind of episode? No. Not in a million years. One is a quasi-Buddhist/Groundhog Day masterpiece and the other a wildly alive, ever-escalating fairy tale brainburster. But Yogi Berra was in the same organization as Babe Ruth and they're both legends.

Last edited:

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
Will he get Moffat to rewrite his script like The Doctor's Wife, or not, like Nightmare in Silver?

Sure, why not. In fact, I'd like Steven Moffat to come write a 2-parter in the next series like how he used to do in the RTD era.

Nightmare in Silver was a total mess but I thought Doctor's Wife was the very best episode in Series 6 and its Neil Gaiman so we know how good of a writer he is.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Gotta have to add some positivity as well, because I love this new series despite its shortcomings. I love the new cast, the new production values, and the fresh new writers. It's not as great as I wanted it to be, but it's still really engaging and fun.

It feels like the series is ending too abruptly just as I'm getting settled in, and I really really wish there was more.

Here's to hoping that the next series will fulfill the potential of the great things introduced in the current one. I wanna see how Daleks are filmed with this fancy new aspect ratio and anamorphic lenses!

Thirding. This series has mostly been good rather than great episodes (It Takes You Away being the only stand-out classic, to me) but I've been thoroughly enjoying it overall.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
The mirror is reporting on the enemy the Doctor faces in the New Years special.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-new-year-special-13698163

It's Daleks.

I am both interested and dreading it.
Very interesting. I wonder at what point they'll promote that because although they like a surprise, they just have to throw in one line in to the trailer and it'll be a big ol' jolt of interest in the special.

Glad they are doing this though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
my kids wondered if the gravelly voice in the preview for this week's episode was a dalek, so we rewound it but didn't really sound properly like one. Maybe a dalek with a twist.

They did also mention a couple of weeks ago 'why aren't there any normal doctor who enemies in this series - no daleks etc'

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Jodie's confirmed for next series, so at that least puts to bed that nonsense: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ctor-who-season-12-1167388?utm_source=twitter

"I really can't wait to step back in and get to work again," Whittaker told The Hollywood Reporter. "It's such an incredible role. It's been an extraordinary journey so far and I'm not quite ready to hand it over yet."

The 11th season of Doctor Who draws to a close on Sunday, with the show returning for a New Year's Day special. Season 12 is expected to start shooting in early 2019.