• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
"It will be Doctor Who's only outing in 2019, with Chibnall's delayed second series now likely to air early 2020."

Huh. Sun making stuff up again?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Jodie's confirmed for next series, so at that least puts to bed that nonsense: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ctor-who-season-12-1167388?utm_source=twitter

The rumor was only six episodes next year, at which point both Chibs and Jodie would depart. So we're not out of the woods yet... fingers crossed we get confirmation of a longer series.

The rumor's logic/reasoning was after the show's success the BBC wanted more, quickly - more quickly than had previously been agreed - but Chibnall has struggled with the workload of Doctor Who compared to other drama (this bit, at least, is verifiable) . So when the BBC said "we want another 12 next year" he said no, and opted to leave - but agreed to do six to bridge the gap... and Jodie said she'd go with him. We will see...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost certain we're not getting ten episodes in 2019 as they would have needed to start filming weeks ago.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost certain we're not getting ten episodes in 2019 as they would have needed to start filming weeks ago.
IIRC, filming for s11 started mid to late November. Capaldi-era usually started filming early December or right after the Christmas break. Though s10 had a weirder schedule.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just want a series every year, is that so much to ask :'(

apparently.

According to BBC Writers Room, the basic rate for 1 hour TV script is about £10 000. So for the want of less than 100k to get scripts for a whole season, the showrunner has been writing the majority for most of Nu Who's run. Obviously better known writers will be paid more, but that's how it is. Wasn't there supposed to be a writer's room for this series? It appears there is one, but its just Chib's office.

Also, Doctor Who always has and probably always will have a difficult time getting scripts that work. Having the script editor in the new series being a much lower level role than in the classic series probably doesn't help.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blegh, all this talk about the different and previous companions, and no mention of Donna... What's wrong with you lot?! :(

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
How long does each episode take to film on average?
Matt Smith talked about "11 day fortnights" being the schedule at the time. Different episodes need more or less time, occasionally, of course... If I'm not mistaken, Capaldi mentioned working for 3 weeks for TUAT.

I remember Jodie Whittaker saying in an interview that they shoot for 9 months—just like the previous Doctors, so presumably there's more time for each episode now.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
S12 production might move faster than 11. I imagine S11's production included a lot of prep work that doesn't need to be repeated again for the next series. And just having a couple years of showrunner experience under his belt by this point might help him move more quickly too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Not quite ready to hand it over yet" makes her sound like this next season might be her last.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they're moving fast time to find a new show runner if Chibnall is on the way out

I'd be fine if we got Jodie for another year with someone else but I doubt that will happen.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's thoughts on Series 10?

I think 8 and 9 are fantastic but I could never really get into 10 when it was on, even though Capaldi was my favourite character. I just didn't like Bill and Nardole. The episodes seemed more dull and ordinary but maybe they're better in retrospective after the recent episodes. I actually only watched a little more than half the episodes and I'm set to rewatch it soon.

I know Moffat was going through a hard time writing it with his mother dying, I got the feeling everything except the finale was a struggle.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I liked series ten because it made a clean slate for new people to come in. I dont like companions staying for more than a season personally, so Bill was a gleefull fresh start.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
At series 10 right now as part of my rewatch...

Pilot is a very good intro episode for new viewers.

Bill is better than I remember, but only on episode 3 atm. From what I remembered about series 10 last time I watched it, Bill and the arc of the 12th Doctor's character was the most refreshing element, but the episodes themselves were polarised in quality as much as series 9.
I can give a more clear review in like a week once I rewatch more of it.

Also started the classic series again since I missed a lot of it during the Twitch marathon. Hartnel time!

Oct 25, 2017
Series 10 would have been better if they hadn't revealed John Simm in that early trailer. The arc plot relied too much on who was in the Doctor's basement prison and knowing Simm would show up took any speculation away from that.

That aside, so much of the series was dedicated to a the three-parter that took a nose dive after the excellent first episode and the rest were pretty run of the mill standalones. The finale was excellent but it's the only part of series 10 I think really stands up to rewatching. It's a shame because Capaldi, Nardole, and Bill are a great team. The whole series just feels like Moffat treading water waiting for Chibnall to take over.

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
I quite loved series 10 when I was watching it. Would probably rank it above series 8 and below series 9 tbh

Everything before "Lie of the Land" was consistently fun and engaging, though it slumps quite a bit before "World Enough and Time."

Very much loved Bill and Nardole interacting with a more laid-back 12th Doctor, even though he turns blind for a couple of episodes.

The finale two-parter could have been the perfect send-off for Capaldi, so I feel somehow miffed about the Christmas special. (They did a throwback to Logopolis at the end but had to backtrack that shit. ugh.)

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
That aside, so much of the series was dedicated to a the three-parter that took a nose dive after the excellent first episode and the rest were pretty run of the mill standalones. The finale was excellent but it's the only part of series 10 I think really stands up to rewatching. It's a shame because Capaldi, Nardole, and Bill are a great team. The whole series just feels like Moffat treading water waiting for Chibnall to take over.
That's the impression I got from what I saw. I never watched Lie of the Land because apparently it was such a terrible ending to that arc, Moffat wasn't able to write the ending because his mother died. I know people found Capaldi more likeable that year but he also seemed to be less interesting.

Hopefully I like it more giving it another chance, Series 9 is my favourite.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I really love Capaldi's final trilogy, I like it even more than Androzani. The characters development for 12 and Missy was wonderful. I can just quote the last 10 minutes of the Doctor Falls episode.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, caught up on the show. My conclusion is that there are some good bits in there, but the pacing is just generally way too slow and drains away any possible excitement from the stories. I felt like taking a nap after each episode. Plus the endings are generally flops, the worst cases being the spider episode and "Kerblam!" As for the Doctor, it feels like she has a much harder time figuring out simple stuff, like that one monster just wanting to drain energy from the ship and not being out to kill people, and just doesn't do all that much. I know people are saying this is refreshing after the God Doctor we got at times, but there's a balance to be had. Like I can't imagine this Doctor being able to stop the Daleks.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I really love Capaldi's final trilogy, I like it even more than Androzani. The characters development for 12 and Missy was wonderful. I can just quote the last 10 minutes of the Doctor Falls episode.
I just rewatched Capaldi's seasons and this moment early in that episode encapsulates what and who the Doctor is to me just as much as Capaldi's incredible 'Just Be Kind' monologue.

'You should know by now when you're winning and I'm in the room, you're missing something.' I love this so much. In this scene the Doctor has been beaten, bloodied, and bound to a wheel chair by not one, but two Master's and is still winning.

'One day, they'll be an ARMY' is also amazing the way he says it.

Contrasting this with the new season of Dr Who makes it even worse. As much as I've enjoyed the big, epic moments of the nuWho over the recent years, it's wonderful little moments like these that I crave. The current writing has a hard enough time wrapping up mediocre stories, let alone even catching a whiff of what we get here with Capaldi.

Here's another amazing conversation between Tennant and Captain Jack from Utopia:

That wry smile from the Doctor when Jack says 'fantastic.' Ouch at getting done in by a stray javelin. I just realized that the Professors assistant must be so confused by this exchange.

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, caught up on the show. My conclusion is that there are some good bits in there, but the pacing is just generally way too slow and drains away any possible excitement from the stories. I felt like taking a nap after each episode. Plus the endings are generally flops, the worst cases being the spider episode and "Kerblam!" As for the Doctor, it feels like she has a much harder time figuring out simple stuff, like that one monster just wanting to drain energy from the ship and not being out to kill people, and just doesn't do all that much. I know people are saying this is refreshing after the God Doctor we got at times, but there's a balance to be had. Like I can't imagine this Doctor being able to stop the Daleks.
And I have to say, I don't get it when this point is sometimes brought up.
The "God Doctor" who is so incredibly important hasn't really been a thing since... End of season 6?
I guess you could stretch it to the rest of the Smith run. But a major part of Capaldi's era, especially at the beginning, was how pared down and low-key his Doctor was.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched "It Takes You Away" and it was pretty good, even though it didn't stick the landing with the talking frog and could have been better.

I think the big issue with this season is they've set up the characters well, but there's been very little progression of their characters outside Graham struggling with his wife's death and Ryan accepting him as his grandfather. Yas hasn't done squat outside of the episode with her grandma. Everyone except Graham is kinda just there.

RTD did a good job of progressing the stories on Earth and character relationships even if the "big bad" enemy arc might just be a word.

apparently.

According to BBC Writers Room, the basic rate for 1 hour TV script is about £10 000. So for the want of less than 100k to get scripts for a whole season, the showrunner has been writing the majority for most of Nu Who's run. Obviously better known writers will be paid more, but that's how it is. Wasn't there supposed to be a writer's room for this series? It appears there is one, but its just Chib's office.

Also, Doctor Who always has and probably always will have a difficult time getting scripts that work. Having the script editor in the new series being a much lower level role than in the classic series probably doesn't help.

They really need to beef up the show's staff to the point where they can produce a season every year at a consistent time and have enough bodies to where a producer/show-runner can leave without the show having to take a break for 18 months-2 years.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or does anyone else not really understand why Yaz is a part of the show? She feels like such a throwaway character who really doesn't have much of a backstory to make me care what happens to her, and has been in the background aside from that one episode where she visits her grandmother's past. Meanwhile, there's an actual relationship and bond building between Ryan and Graham. I don't believe the Doctor should ever have had more than two companions at a time. Adding to that, the writing just feels really off. There's all of this buildup for what's actually going on that's solved in a matter of moments. It's really taking the suspense and excitement out of the show. That wannabe-Amazon episode being a perfect example.

It's a shame because I love this version of the Doctor, but it feels like she's being held back by some of the negative aspects of the show.

Last edited:

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I much prefer Yaz over Ryan. I just like her energy and she's a delightful ray of sunshine most of the time while Ryan's usually being grumpy about something. It's true though that she still feels like the odd one out from an overall story perspective.

Anyway I just watched the last episode and loved it, aside from rolling my eyes a bit at how easily they were able to dodge those flesh eating moths, especially Ryan and the girl since they were holding a giant glowing light as a horde flew on by lol. As soon as Grace appeared I really thought Graham was gonna end up staying with her so it brought a lot of tension to the episode for me. Glad that's not where things went.

Also the scene with Frog Grace had to be one of the dumbest yet best things I've seen throughout my time watching this show.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I also like Yaz more than Ryan. She might be a relatively thinner character (I don't think Ryan is a terribly fleshed-out character on his own, Graham is carrying a lot of the weight there) but she's got way more personality. If Graham ends up going at some point, I hope S12 becomes a Jodie/Yaz two-hander.

That's the impression I got from what I saw. I never watched Lie of the Land because apparently it was such a terrible ending to that arc, Moffat wasn't able to write the ending because his mother died. I know people found Capaldi more likeable that year but he also seemed to be less interesting.

Hopefully I like it more giving it another chance, Series 9 is my favourite.
I find the hate for Lie of the Land really overblown (similarly, I think the first part of the trilogy is way overhyped too).

S10 is one of my favorite years. I agree the couple episodes between the Monk trilogy and the regeneration trilogy feel like weirdly-placed filler; stuff like Empress of Mars and Eaters of Light should have been earlier in the season (and, uh, also better). But I really like the first handful of episodes -- The Pilot is one of my favorites of Capaldi's run -- and it closes really strongly. The Doctor Falls and Twice Upon a Time make for a great, lovely ending to both Capaldi's and Moffat's run on the show.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I like the whole main cast, but I agree that there a too many companions right now. Their development is spread thin and they take attention away from the doctor. The latter point is especially troubling since this is a newly regenerated doctor, and the writers need to prioritize her characterization above anything else.

Ideally, Graham would have been Jodie's sole companion since he has the most chemistry with her and arguably the best motivation to leave his old life behind. Yaz and Ryan could have made appearances later.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Here's another amazing conversation between Tennant and Captain Jack from Utopia:

That wry smile from the Doctor when Jack says 'fantastic.' Ouch at getting done in by a stray javelin. I just realized that the Professors assistant must be so confused by this exchange.

Man, Utopia is good shit.

Actually, I love that whole trilogy of episodes. Not without flaws (some pretty big), but hugely ambitious and imaginative.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing Torchwood a while ago, I would love it if they brought Jack back for a couple of episodes. Having him and the Doctor talk about some of the stuff that happened on earth and why there was no interference would be great. I'm still not really fond of how ten kind of waived at him after what happened during Children of Earth and Jack not straight away going for his throat (not literally).

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished seeing "It Takes You Away". Worst fucking episode of the entire series. I can't believe they did something like that. I love this show but even I have my limits. How dare those fuckers make Graham sad like that! The man is a pickle and cheese sandwich carrying angel and he deserves better than this. DON'T HURT MY PRECIOUS GRAHAM, YOU BASTARDS! But in all seriousness, damn near broke my heart seeing Graham so sad. Felt no remorse for the Solitract. You make Graham sad and my pity goes out the window. Ok, maybe I felt a little sad for the Solitract. No one deserves to be alone for eternity. All in all it was a really good episode. Really reminded me of the wacky episodes of series past. Not everything has to be super serious. I can certainly take a few "sentient universe takes on the form of a talking frog" episodes here and there. Also, we need more scary episodes. Something like The Empty Child and The Unquiet Dead and my absolute favorite Midnight. Hop to it, Chibnall.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Wasn't Jack supposed to be in a Matt Smith episode but couldn't because of timing or something? It's a shame that ever happened

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I think the ensemble of companions was a deliberate throwback to the early days of the show, not in the sense that Chibnall wanted to include a shout-out to the First Doctor era but in the sense that the show used to go out of its way in ticking all the demographic boxes in terms of older and younger male and female characters. We haven't needed that in recent years but with the switch to a female Doctor I think perhaps there was a bit of uncertainty as to what the audience wanted from the companion/s.

I know the balancing of the characters hasn't been perfect this series but I'd rather an ensemble get slowly fleshed out and be removed as they crest their peak than have a single companion be used for multiple series and start to feel like the well has run dry quite quickly.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
What an episode! I love this episode! This doctor will pull emotional goodbye in the future, need to prepare handkerchief from now!

On another side, i think i realized what the problem with this season is. It is that too much preaching. I dont mind if a story preaches us about something, but they should know when to stop because it becomes boring. There is no something new because we already understood what they want to preach. The solution is to make it more subtle, let it permeate into audience's mind from behind without they are realizing it

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
For once on this series I wasn't really in to it at first, but the back half got my attention and found it really interesting. Usually the endings are what fails to stick.