• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I must say, this episode looks absolutely stunning. Even if it is really slow.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was okay. The whole series has been pretty unambiguous writing wise, everything's so basic and predictable and boring. But at least it hasn't been bad.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
How are the ratings for this series? To me they need a new show runner ASAP, but i'm not sure if that's an issue for me or the audience as a whole.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would like to see some old monsters now.

That trailer for the New Year special would suggest you are about to get your wish...

Ended up really enjoying the finale, though it sagged a bit in the middle. Tim Shaw has been an enjoyable villain and Graham's struggle over wanting to kill him was the best thing about the episode - especially the resolution.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
How absolutely dull was that? You couldn't write a more lifeless episode of doctor who. Jodie is the most boring doctor ever.
'I like precautions'
'I'm a bit headachy'
Every other Doctor would have a more interesting way of expressing themselves than her. The new showrunners and the writers have totally failed at selling her as the Doctor. She's also a massive step down as an actor from Capaldi that's its even more noticeable.

I'll take mad shit like dobby doctor in a cage over watching paint dry.

Seriously annoyed at how much they have fumbled the first female doctor. There's no way this series will remembered fondly

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Well, next series better have some serious ambition going into it. The one and dones were nice and all, but now it's time to ramp it up. (tbh, they could have ramped it up midseason, but with this episode, I get what Chibs was going for).

I liked this episode though.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Utter tripe. Easily the worst series of NuWho and by a considerable margin.

Tim Shaw was awful the first time around. Hopefully he never returns.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The episode was pretty good but it's like.. nothing eventful happened?
My main issue this season is that with no season long arc, it was just a bunch of disconnected episodes and the "finale" just felt like another episode, with the only connection being a returning villain .

There was nothing built up to be excited about, no cliffhanger for next season. There's no feeling of "So what now?" after some big crisis was averted or a companion left or anything like that. It just ended

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue this season is that with no season long arc, it was just a bunch of disconnected episodes and the "finale" just felt like another episode, with the only connection being a returning villain .

There was nothing built up to be excited about, no cliffhanger for next season. There's no feeling of "So what now?" after some big crisis was averted or a companion left or anything like that. It just ended

Should've been a two-parter; there was a lot of room for exposition. Also that Ux lady seemed to give in pretty easily to the Doctor's point of view, and, Ryan just gave up on his "no weapons" argument pretty easily too.

I really hope CC learns how to pace the episodes for 2020.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017

It was very Classic Who in that sense. A little TOO Classic though; NuWho viewers have a different criteria when it comes to episode structure and season structure. And Chibs is clashing with that HARD.

I'm still leaning on the worst part of this season is that. Visual though, whew, fantastic.

But I gotta say, they really need to figure out a way to make these seasons quicker. Is it because of BBC here? Or just CC?

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I can't honestly say I thought it was the absolute worst series because the guest-written episodes elevated it above Series 8 and 10 for me but this was supposed to be a shot in a arm for the series and instead it's limping along as badly as ever under the leadership of someone who clearly isn't capable for writing for the show.

Rabid-Coot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they put Tim in stasis on an abandoned planet so he can be found and brought back for the regeneration episode.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer for the New Year special would suggest you are about to get your wish...

Ended up really enjoying the finale, though it sagged a bit in the middle. Tim Shaw has been an enjoyable villain and Graham's struggle over wanting to kill him was the best thing about the episode - especially the resolution.

Hmmmm, was kind of thinking the most dangerous creature in the universe was going to be the doctor though.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Haven't watched the finale yet but I'm disappointed about the series 12 date announcement. I guess Chibnall really can't handle the workload, and he really only made a subpar season with a few standouts.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that the first season with a female doctor and such a fantastic actress was marred by such terrible writing and directing.
All it is going to do is give ammunition to the anti-femalr doctor crowd who will pretend the season (kinda) flopped because of that when really it's got nothing to do with it.

Before the season started I was excited about the new Doctor, but very hesitant about the change in showrunner and the fact the show was essentially being rebooted. And at this point I genuinely don't think the showrunner knows what made Doctor Who so popular. All the best episodes were written by guests

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I can't honestly say I thought it was the absolute worst series because the guest-written episodes elevated it above Series 8 and 10 for me but this was supposed to be a shot in a arm for the series and instead it's limping along as badly as ever under the leadership of someone who clearly isn't capable for writing for the show.
I'd go as far to say the worst episodes of the previous seasons were more interesting and entraining than this season. This was just entirely boring.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been rewatching season 9 and 10 and how anyone can watch series 11 and even think it's anywhere close to that level.. New Dr Who is just horrible, the Doctor, the companions, just horrible compared to previous seasons.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's a double-whammy! Deeply meh finale and the Beeb has just announced Series 12 isn't until 2020.
That's the most disappointing thing I've heard out of all of this, just stop dragging this out. 6 episodes in 2019 and then letting this era die would have been nice.

It won't be until at least 2021 that we have good Doctor Who to look forward to.

Haven't watched the finale yet but I agree that this has been the worst series by far.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else get the feeling that the BBC wouldn't give them the budget for a full series and a Christmas special this year, so the producers decided to carve out the actual finale to air as a special? It just doesn't feel like that episode was originally intended to be the season finale.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The gap year is also going be brutal for this season. A lot of people are going have time to re-asses just exactly how bad it was.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Not having any more Who for over a year just reeks of mismanagement.

The writer/showrunner approach barely worked for RTD and Moffat because they were - for all their faults and writing quirks - utter machines at churning out material and keeping the show moving. Even then, there were times when it fell apart and either the quality or the schedule suffered because of it.

The Beeb should have insisted on having a showrunner who wasn't writing the show (or at least not more than "guiding" things and contributing one or two scripts), given the script editor/s more power, and put together a core writing team of two or three to drive the show. Instead of which, we have the "auteur" approach that puts enormous pressure on one person and means they can't get the show on a one-series-a-year schedule, even with several fewer episodes.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Remember when Moffat decided to stay on for last year's Christmas special to ensure Doctor Who would keep that slot? Chibs is making real good use of that huh.

haha...

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I think I've reached the point where I'm more excited about Big Finish plans for audio adventures in 2019 and 2020 than I am for the showrunner and BBC's plans for the actual show.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
It's laughable that RTD managed to churn out 56 episodes over four years without a gap year, and Moffat managed to churn out 60, and yet CC barely managed to put out 11 episodes, and now Doctor Who is on hiatus until 2020.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It's laughable that RTD managed to churn out 56 episodes over four years without a gap year, and Moffat managed to churn out 60, and yet CC barely managed to put out 11 episodes, and now Doctor Who is on hiatus until 2020.
Weren't the rumours that he and Jodie hated the schedule? Seems like they didn't know what they were in for

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't the rumours that he and Jodie hated the schedule? Seems like they didn't know what they were in for

I don't know whether that's true, CC has worked on Doctor Who before, and it's not like JW would have been unaware of the filming schedule. Therefore, imo, I don't think that particular rumour is true.