• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
5.7 Million average is nothing to shake a stick at considering we are not in the shows 2005+ big numbers come back era and TV is constantly improving.
The thing that was notable about S11's ratings though was how big the decline was compared to any other year and the decline even continued into the finale and the special.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that was notable about S11's ratings though was how big the decline was compared to any other year and the decline even continued into the finale and the special.

Absolutely but I genuinely don't think it's a quality issue with the show. That huge initial number was expected with the first ever female doctor.

The decline isn't as drastic as you would expect and it puts the figures straight back inline with the prior few years. The show has very regularly been between 25% and 35% of total audience share since the Smith era. You can see how big the first episode was with 45% of the entire possible audience watching it which is WILD

n0RLmdr.png

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

I always thought it's so weird that Saturday night is considered prime TV time in the UK, in the US there's never new shows on Saturday night, especially big prestigious shows like Who because people go out on Saturday night.

Ratings decline as the season goes on is normal for Who but I'm sure mediocre episode after mediocre episode didn't help this season and caused a lot of casual fans to abandon the season early.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watching the new macra terror animation? I've just finished the first ep, and it's pretty good. Obviously nowhere near even decent JP animation (and I wouldn't expect it given the budget), but it's the best they've had so far, with far more expressive faces then before.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Anyone watching the new macra terror animation? I've just finished the first ep, and it's pretty good. Obviously nowhere near even decent JP animation (and I wouldn't expect it given the budget), but it's the best they've had so far, with far more expressive faces then before.

Mine hasn't arrived yet. The clip I watched looked rather good though, I'm glad they've stepped up the production values to something more agreeable.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably something APZonerunner would know but what's the deal with Doctor Who Confidential? I remember watching (and loving) them back in the RTD days, but are they just not available to watch anywhere? No streaming options? I just finished going through S3 with my fiance, who's watching the whole show for the first time, and wanted to show her the one that Tennant did about Blink...which had nothing to do with Blink at all, and was all about him, RTD, Moffat, et al. shooting the shit about why they love Doctor Who.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Some of them were cut because of music used in them that they didn't want to pay for licensing in the video release, if I'm remembering right.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
They could, they just didn't want to. Or have the budget to do so. I'm guessing video licensing is much more expensive than a one time screening on TV.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Anyone know if another streaming service is going to get The Sarah Jane Adventures or Torchwood? They just disappeared over the past couple of days on Amazon Prime (US). I was watching all of new who in order including the spin offs and they went poof without warning :(

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
They could, they just didn't want to. Or have the budget to do so. I'm guessing video licensing is much more expensive than a one time screening on TV.

Reminds me of The State, which had tons of bedding music, and sketches written around music that had to have soundalikes recorded for the eventual bluray release. Considering how Confidential withered away, I can't see them being keen to spend any kind of effort on their part to put them back out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Some of them were cut because of music used in them that they didn't want to pay for licensing in the video release, if I'm remembering right.
Oh that reminds me, was the scene of the Master dancing with Lucy in Last of the Time Lords cut out of the version streaming on Amazon because of the music? Because I watched that ep the other day and the scene never happened. And then I checked on youtube to confirm that I wasn't imagining it and that scene did exist after all, but I wonder if it was cut for licensing reasons?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
This is probably something APZonerunner would know but what's the deal with Doctor Who Confidential? I remember watching (and loving) them back in the RTD days, but are they just not available to watch anywhere? No streaming options? I just finished going through S3 with my fiance, who's watching the whole show for the first time, and wanted to show her the one that Tennant did about Blink...which had nothing to do with Blink at all, and was all about him, RTD, Moffat, et al. shooting the shit about why they love Doctor Who.

The cut down ones were on the DVDs (reduced from about 45 mins to about 25 on average, mostly cut to get rid of the licensed music as people say) of the RTD era. Not sure if they're on the modern prints, but those cut downs are on the original UK DVDs at least. The Moffat era episodes are entirely MIA.

There's loads missing, tbh. Like the RTD era did two commentaries for every episode - a DVD commentary, but also a podcast released online immediately after the episode aired. There's a fucking incredible one with Moffat, RTD and Tennant recorded literally a week after Moffat taking over was announced, and it has those two relentlessly ripping into him (in a friendly way) about all of the rumors of things he'd have coming back and do with the show. Some of those commentaries are gold, others really fascinating, and the BBC website has just swallowed them up.

Most of the most significant episodes of DWM are available online in their original format in dodgy forms, just usually you have to search for the episode number. Here's the one you're after: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6t3g1f

Last edited:

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
The cut down ones were on the DVDs (reduced from about 45 mins to about 25 on average) of the RTD era. Not sure if they're on the modern prints, but those cut downs are on the original UK DVDs at least. The Moffat era episodes are entirely MIA.

There's loads missing, tbh. Like the RTD era did two commentaries for every episode - a DVD commentary, but also a podcast released online immediately after the episode aired. There's a fucking incredible one with Moffat, RTD and Tennant recorded literally a week after Moffat taking over was announced, and it has those two relentlessly ripping into him (in a friendly way) about all of the rumors of things he'd have coming back and do with the show. Some of those commentaries are gold, others really fascinating, and the BBC website has just swallowed them up.

Most of the most significant episodes of DWM are available online in their original format in dodgy forms, just usually you have to search for the episode number. Here's the one you're after: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6t3g1f

Hmm, I'm pretty sure they released series 5 and 6 cut downs too, on bluray at least. I'm not sure how I would've watched them otherwise.

edit: ah yeah, the series 5 amazon uk description mentions them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Complete-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B003XIIW2Y

Seems like the DVD has them too.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Hmm, I'm pretty sure they released series 5 and 6 cut downs too, on bluray at least. I'm not sure how I would've watched them otherwise.

edit: ah yeah, the series 5 amazon uk description mentions them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Complete-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B003XIIW2Y

Seems like the DVD has them too.

Oh, they were on Series 6 as well! It just seems like they were even more brutal cut downs - 14 minutes! Then again, afaik the Moffat era Confidential was 15 minutes shorter anyway...?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Oh, they were on Series 6 as well! It just seems like they were even more brutal cut downs - 14 minutes! Then again, afaik the Moffat era Confidential was 15 minutes shorter anyway...?

Yeah, they were very short. I remember them not being all that substantial as a result. I mean, they usually weren't, but I felt a noticeable difference going from series 4 to 5. Though I've never given the cutdowns a proper comparison with the original episodes, so I don't always know whether I actually missed out on anything interesting! Bit annoying, that.

Ah well, it was still better than what we've been getting since series 7...

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The cut down ones were on the DVDs (reduced from about 45 mins to about 25 on average, mostly cut to get rid of the licensed music as people say) of the RTD era. Not sure if they're on the modern prints, but those cut downs are on the original UK DVDs at least. The Moffat era episodes are entirely MIA.

I find that disrespectful to everyone involved in making those episodes and to the fans who bought those DVDs in good faith not expecting to be swindled.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
That student "Mission to the Unknown" recreation looks pretty legit:

D22wZEqWkAEAMKR.jpg:large

Nicholas Briggs did the dalek voices, and apparently there's some talk of releasing it on dvd:

Peter and Edward de Souza (who was in the ep) did a filmed Q&A, which certainly sounds like potential dvd bonus material!

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't see the article, (blocked at work,) but unless it's Big Finish, I can't possibly see how this isn't an April Fools Joke.
Short version: 6 episode mini series for BBC One about Rose and the Meta Crisis Doctor by Russell T. Davies.

Normally, I'd snap think this is an April Fool's joke, but I could see it going either way.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Think the quotes are dead giveaways :lol

Billie Piper says: "The romantic relationship between the Doctor and Rose has always been very popular with fans, mainly on Tumblr and DeviantArt, but I'm excited to explore the many ups and downs of Tenpetals."

David Tennant says: "It's funny. Every year, around this exact time, I seem to be getting calls from my agent about returning to Doctor Who!"

Chris Chibnall says: "Sorry, I'm too busy writing "The Return of the Pting" right now. I promise it's my greatest episode yet!"

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
All this does is to remind me of what happened to the DoctorDonna and, of course, Wilfred tearfully waving farewell to number 10 at Donna's (FINALLY!!) wedding. I wonder if her wedding dress had pockets.
:(

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I finally had time to sit down and start watching the Season 18 Bluray yesterday. It looks great even though most of the material is studio camera and upressed SD (but done nicely). I feared edited shows wouldn't look nice compared to Shada (Shada is pieced together from first generation studio tape, not edited versions like Seasons 12, 18 and 19).

By way of comparison, I also watched the Bluray version of the 1981 BBC version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and there's a distinct lack of effort in that.
The video looks terible compared to the Who releases (we are talking about two series made the exact same way at the BBC from the same year more or less), surviving film (ie the animation) is presented as pin sharp extra on the disk but not reinserted into the programme anywhere (so in the shows themselves the animation is blurry and juddery). I heard Red Dwarf's bluray of the 80s and 90s episodes also looks bad but I haven't got that yet.

Still no word of a Season 12 re-release or what the next bluray season will be.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor Who remasters are done by the Restoration Team, a small group of dedicated fans, and they are doing godswork regarding the blu-ray remasters. The studio footage suffers from simply being taped material and some of the actual film reels apparently don't survive anymore, which is a shame. But overall they did amazing work and the extras are nothing to sneeze at. The extras alone would be worth a purchase.
I'm still hoping the BBC does a season 12 reprint, they've said they will not, but that one was available so short and sold out in such a short time, that surely someone is pushing for a new single print. Especially since they had to replace two of the six (seven?) discs. I don't have Shads, so no I can't compare it to that one, mostly because I have a feeling that when that season set rolls around, they'll include it in the box.

I haven't purchased the Macra Terror either yet, mostly due to a lack of funds for this month. But I hope to purchase it next month. Though the cover are is absolutely horrendous on the standard edition. Sweet lord who greenlit that one when the steelbook looks so crazy good?!

And for this watching through Netflix, I can confirm that the series has disappeared in The Netherlands as well. Which sucks since that was the way I would watch the 50 anniversary special since the blu-ray is in the incorrect speed because of the 3D transfer. Oh well, guess it's time to contact the BBC for a replacement disc which, they apparently have done.

Edit: And it turns out they're still producing/sending out the corrected 2D disc of 'The Day Of The Doctor' in Europe. Went through the BBC by email and they're sending a copy with proof of purchase. So that's terrific!

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, why not use the actual Doctor Who topic? Series 11 is (thankfully) long done.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, but it's always this one that gets bumped, but series 11 has already run its course :p

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Really keen to watch that Pertwee era doc with Moffat and Gatiss interviewed. (edit: and apparently it's 90 mins long!)

Season 10 is probably the best of the Pertwee years. I haven't seen the middle two, but Carnival of Monsters and The Green Death are great, and The Three Doctors is dumb fun.

Last edited: