• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the impressions and leaks this is the first season that unless I change my mind I'm entirely skipping, I'm hoping it's quickly forgotten about.
Do we really need impressions of leaks? I'd rather find out myself about the direction even if it sucks, to be honest. I just feel like you're being warned and being discoraged from making your own opinion. It happened with GOT and FF VII remake as well.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the impressions and leaks this is the first season that unless I change my mind I'm entirely skipping, I'm hoping it's quickly forgotten about.

Has the Master being back been explained? It's just stupid if he regenerated from Missy.
The master must have just been lying when he shot his future self and said she can't regenerate, as part of punishing her for siding with the doctor, but he didn't actually want to kill herself. Such a confusing sentence to write lol.

Hambulance

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't Benni moving away from them at like 37 clicks an hour, which is pretty much the Olympics qualifying pace for the 100m.

Then we only see the Dregs shambling around.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The master must have just been lying when he shot his future self and said she can't regenerate, as part of punishing her for siding with the doctor, but he didn't actually want to kill herself. Such a confusing sentence to write lol.
Even if there's some technical reason Missy somehow survived it's stupid to just undo the character development.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Even if there's some technical reason Missy somehow survived it's stupid to just undo the character development.
He was always going to be classic master again. I think he had a mid life crisis after everything that happened in the doctor falls, then returned to Gallifrey, and presumably discovering the nasty origins of the time lords that drove him over the edge again. But I haven't read spoilers.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
That weird feeling when you miss RTD.

Here's a thought though, you think maybe the next showrunner shouldn't have the nostalgic love of Who? RTD, Moffat and Chibnall are all fans of the classic show from when they were kids, but what if they had a showrunner that loves Who but was only introduced to it with the modern interpretation?

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe the Time Lords just brought the Master back. If they can cause the Doctor to break the rules of regeneration they can presumably do something similar for the Master so they cheat death.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has the Master being back been explained? It's just stupid if he regenerated from Missy.
The only explanation I'll accept is if they say it's one of the incarnations before Missy/Simms/Jacobi. Missy was extremely clear on her goal just before she exited the series, so a new regeneration completely throwing any and all of season 10 under the bus just isn't right. On the other hand, it's Doctor Who, so who cares about continuity. Clearly not the writers at least...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The only explanation I'll accept is if they say it's one of the incarnations before Missy/Simms/Jacobi. Missy was extremely clear on her goal just before she exited the series, so a new regeneration completely throwing any and all of season 10 under the bus just isn't right. On the other hand, it's Doctor Who, so who cares about continuity. Clearly not the writers at least...
Agreed.

Continuity has obviously not been perfect even in new Who in regards to stuff like alien invasions but there should be consistency for characters.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I completely agree, I just don't think Chibnall does at this point. Missy was the best thing to happen to the character since his introduction, all those years back. The development was amazing, and I can't wait couldn't wait to see what was next. Well, back to Simms it seems...

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If you are upset that The Master had a personality change after regenerating, something that is completely normal in the canon of this show, then blame Moffat for writing The Master shooting Missy with his laser screwdriver.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i am more sad that michelle gomes is not back than the character of the master xD

She deserved more episodes being awesomely evil

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If you are upset that The Master had a personality change after regenerating, something that is completely normal in the canon of this show, then blame Moffat for writing The Master shooting Missy with his laser screwdriver.
But regeneration isn't a reset button, if anything in the Doctor's case the regeneration is influenced by the state of mind when regenerating.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Chibnall could've gone any which direction, yet decided to go with Simms Master again. But, in all fairness, we've seen him once, where he was either whiny Simms and another much more calm and understanding version as well during that hologram. So who knows which character he's supposed to be...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ that episode was just horrible in every way.

I'm so bummed out over the state of the show. I love Jodie but I really miss Moffet at this point. It had its down points but it was always charming, fun and energetic. It never felt stupid to me-which is what I feel now from the Chibnall era.

I'm just...so depressed over the state of what my favorite show has turned into.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Jesus Christ that episode was just horrible in every way.

I'm so bummed out over the state of the show. I love Jodie but I really miss Moffet at this point. It had its down points but it was always charming, fun and energetic. It never felt stupid to me-which is what I feel now from the Chibnall era.

I'm just...so depressed over the state of what my favorite show has turned into.

I think just about everyone is and I don't think Chibnall will be going anywhere for many years too. There is already a deal in place with HBO for seasons 13 and 14 which will likely be Chibnall seasons. Sucks but maybe we can hope for a new good reboot in a few years time. I still watch the episodes but it's basically "CW" quality at his point and that might be generous.

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
That weird feeling when you miss RTD.

Here's a thought though, you think maybe the next showrunner shouldn't have the nostalgic love of Who? RTD, Moffat and Chibnall are all fans of the classic show from when they were kids, but what if they had a showrunner that loves Who but was only introduced to it with the modern interpretation?

It's a tricky one because, as everyone says, its a show that needs to both satisfy people who have been watching for nearly 60 years and people who are watching their second episode. I don't think its about having an appreciation for modern vs classic so much as the difference between having a reverence for the show and just having an appreciation for it. Like, someone in love with the modern era is just as likely to end up trying to ape the RTD years by having a frantic, madcap Doctor in high energy stories, without understanding that what made that era work was as much about its heart as its pace.

I think what you will see soon enough, which will be interesting, is someone who does earnestly appreciate both modern and classic but didn't grow up with the show, probably due to being born just before or during the wilderness years. Then you'd have someone not attached to their own nostalgia and perhaps more able to take a step back and see what has worked and what hasn't over the years.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't tend to like his stuff, but Chibnall is a huge, prestigious name to be running a British TV show nowadays- that's far more important to him getting the job than the fact he is already a fan of Doctor Who.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Does anyone else get annoyed by Ryan? He's written in a way that suggests he's constantly confused by everything that's going on around him, and he delivers every single fucking line i the same breathless brum uptalk. It drives me insane. It's like he's just not in the same league as the rest of the cast.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
But regeneration isn't a reset button, if anything in the Doctor's case the regeneration is influenced by the state of mind when regenerating.

That's not really true. Thanks to RTD inexplicably trying to throw a grenade under the bus with David Tennant's last story, in an effort to unnecessarily score cheap emotional beats, it's been clearly stated that regeneration is basically death for the current incarnation of a Time Lord, with the replacement incarnation being a totally different person.

That's not just implied by "I don't want to go," The Doctor explicitly states that's the case when he's at the café with Wilf.

Then we have Capaldi's 12th Doctor, which is not just a radical departure from Matt Smith and David Tennant, it undoes the Doctor's character development that had been underway since 2005. From the word go, Capaldi's Doctor is portrayed as darker, more ethically dubious than the two previous incarnations. That is what kicks off his entire character arc of undergoing an internal dilemma over whether or not he's a good person.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what the excuse is for The Master's about face. The implication I took away from the opening two parter was that the about face stemmed from discovering the secret of the Timeless Child. But even if that's not reason enough, this isn't the first or the last time that Doctor Who will see continuity errors or character shifts related to a new creative crew. Otherwise Davros would still be a head in a jar.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still curious why Chibnall was chosen when he was. Was it because he did Broadchurch?

He did a whole bunch of Torchwood episodes and a couple of Doctor Who episodes. The problem, he did a couple of great episodes, but (to me anyway) also some of the absolutely worst episodes at the same time. For example, he did the absolutely amazing Torchwood: Season 1 Countrycide and Season 2 opening and finale. But on the other hand, he also wrote the two worst episodes of the entire series with an orgasm smoke monster and Cyberwoman. And looking at his Doctor Who work: he wrote the amazing 42, but also wrapped it up in such a terrible way, same as The Power of Three. Such an insanely well written episode, but he absolutely drops the ending in the absolute worst possible way imaginable. The guy either hits it out of the park and has a home run, or hits it out of the park and ends up sliding face first between the third and final base. But now with series 11 behind us and series 12 being still unclear, I have a feeling that those episode were great despite of him and not because of him.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else get annoyed by Ryan? He's written in a way that suggests he's constantly confused by everything that's going on around him, and he delivers every single fucking line i the same breathless brum uptalk. It drives me insane. It's like he's just not in the same league as the rest of the cast.

Yeah, not a fan of Ryan. Either how he's written or the actor. Graham as well seems to be there just to exclaim "you what, doc?" at every plot point. Yaz is the only one that's decent.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Yeah, not a fan of Ryan. Either how he's written or the actor. Graham as well seems to be there just to exclaim "you what, doc?" at every plot point. Yaz is the only one that's decent.
I was cynical about Bradley Walsh being cast, but i reckon hes good. Now you've pointed that out Im not going to view him in the same way. Hadnt noticed but you're right.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm cautiously optimistic for the new episode. New writer, so who knows!

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I have been entrapped by fearful anticipation, the new episode haunting my every dream like some dread phantom of the night.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has dyspraxia. A lot of his character comes from living with a disability.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the chase where the aliens constantly stumble over each other... That was a seriously good episode.

Oct 25, 2017
Racnoss similarities in the alien had to be intentional.

Felt like the first part was rushed, and the history lesson stuff was a bit clunky, but it did really pick up.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
It was reasonably on par for an early series historical romp but I wouldn't personally give it more praise than that.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Really liked the episode. It feels like the Doctor is being more assertive this series which i appreciate a lot. Whittiker is a really good actress and i'm liking how she goes from a threatening speech to a lighthearted quip.