• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Den of Geek

Radio Times

Metro

I'm told The Mail on Sunday gave it 5 stars but I'll never be able to personally verify that.

Expect fewer outlets bothering with early reviews, though. Chibnall doesn't want anything at all out there - some previous outlets have been uninvited from screenings like the premiere after revealing too much. In previous years we would know the title of every episode by now with a brief summary (or a complete leak of the first five episodes).

Oh cool thanks! Makes me a little more optimistic for this season. :)

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the fun and epic ramped up like all the modern doctors and a huge improve in the music.
Somethibg tells me that while maybe the first thing could come true if they really try, nothing is going to save the music part :(

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Those reviews are positive at least. Although I forget how the last season was reviewing at the start.

I'm pretty sure Woman Who Fell to Earth was generally well-received and obviously you had Rosa up top so that reviewed well too.

I think the problem with S11, and a lot of reason why its soured so much over time, is because the individual episodes ultimately ended in nothing. Battle of Rans-thingy is not only a pretty mediocre episode in itself, it also pays off barely anything that has come before. The beauty of pretty much every RTD and Moffat finale, as iffy as their overall qualities may have been, was that they actively rewarded people for having watched the whole season, be it in terms of locations, themes or characters.

You could literally watch episode 1 of S11 and skip right to the end and it wouldn't feel all that different. Which isn't to say that series need to been intricate, Moffat-esque complicated narratives. But your characters should be progressing (looking at you Yaz) and a hint of thematic summation helps things along a lot.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People were positive on series 11 until the 1-2 punch of Arachnids/Tsuranga came along- you felt it at the time, and that's when the AI and audience figures started dropping.

Fortunately, Chibnall's only writing the opening and closing 2-parters this year, and everything in between is being handled by the guest writers. If last series is any guide, they're more likely to be interesting.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Very nervous for the episode today. My heart wants to fall in love with the show again but it feels like an age since series 10. I hope Chibnall can balance the characters more but last season proved three permanent companions takes too much time away from the Doctor. Chibnall needs to fully establish her character cause Jodie is an amazing actress and deserves so much more.

Not to be a pessimist but if critically the show is like last season, is there danger of it getting canned or is it too valuable to the BBC and BBC Worldwide (which I believe produce the show now?)

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice OT.

I liked Series 11 by and large but I'm hoping for a bit more this time around, especially from Chibnall's episodes. My favourites last season were written by other writers.
Not to be a pessimist but if critically the show is like last season, is there danger of it getting canned or is it too valuable to the BBC and BBC Worldwide (which I believe produce the show now?)
If I recall correctly the viewing figures were the strongest they've been for a few series' so I doubt it.

Last edited:

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very nervous for the episode today. My heart wants to fall in love with the show again but it feels like an age since series 10. I hope Chibnall can balance the characters more but last season proved three permanent companions takes too much time away from the Doctor. Chibnall needs to fully establish her character cause Jodie is an amazing actress and deserves so much more.

Series 11 had excellent ratings, even taking the dip into account. There's absolutely zero chance of the show going away, short of some cataclysmic drop in performance this series. Indeed, we already know that Whitaker and Chibnall have signed up for another series.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom

Even in a worst case scenario, no show can save itself from cancellation like Doctor Who. Every actor / writer / director / producer can be rotated out if necessary. The brand is still very valuable.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Nice OT.

I liked Series 11 by and large but I'm hoping for a bit more this time around, especially from Chibnall's episodes. My favourites last season were written by other writers.

If I recall correctly he viewing figures were the strongest they've been for a few series' so I doubt it.
Series 11 had excellent ratings, even taking the dip into account. There's absolutely zero chance of the show going away, short of some cataclysmic drop in performance this series. Indeed, we already know that Whitaker and Chibnall have signed up for another series.
Even in a worst case scenario, no show can save itself from cancellation like Doctor Who. Every actor / writer / director / producer can be rotated out if necessary. The brand is still very valuable.

Well that's good to hear. Fingers crossed for this aft.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching a marathon all week so I'm ready for some new Who in my life. Admittedly last season wasn't super memorable but I like Jodie enough to keep coming back. Hoping for more humor since I usually prefer when the show doesn't take itself too seriously. 10 and Donna will likely never be topped but that's okay.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Chibs needs to camp up the show a bit. It was a bit dry i n S11.

That's certainly an element that's lacking, especially since the main cast has good chemistry. Hopefully there's a couple good romps in this season.

I'mma be honest though: I didn't love Rosa as much as a lot of people seemed to. There were bits of brilliance - I think Graham is generally the best part of the show across the board and his suffering at being a part of history that hurt Grace so much was effective as hell - but I couldn't help but get distracted by a bunch of British people doing various levels of believable Alabama accents.

It's even weirder because they're clearly capable of getting American actors on the show (see Chris Noth a few episodes later) so why not just hire an American actress to play Rosa?

Yeah, as an American it's really jarring when they cast someone doing a bad regional US accent or if half the people in "Alabama" are doing southern accents and half are doing standard American. Would be nice to get better quality control on that (since there's some British actors that are really good at that).

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My personal issue with last season was that there were too many companions, not that any of them were poor. You just couldn't get as attached with all of them around and it didn't feel like a personal connection with the doctor.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is only tangentially related to Who but isn't Moffat and Gatiss' Dracula starting today too? I feel like I haven't seen any kind of reviews or other impressions of it yet.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect things to markedly improve until Chibnall regenerates into a different show runner.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd probably be happier if show runners didnt seem afraid of referencing what came before. Each time we get a new one it feels like too much of a reboot. I'd love a surprise cameo once in a while.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
And honestly, the biggest problem so far in this episode is the companions seem to have more to do than the doctor. I'm not complaining about companions having something to do, but not at the expense of almost sidelining the main character.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
It's taking itself too seriously, not liking it at all.

Music is fucking awful as well.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
................Doctor....you know the Multiverse exists, you have been to a different universe

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking I may just tune out after this week and just follow the thread. If things look like they improve I will binge the show otherwise I am out.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I actually liked Jodie a bit but the last season was such a huge step down outside of a few episodes. Hopefully they figure it out