• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Moffat almost killed himself with introducing Smith, 2 companions and the coming of a whole new era with the 11th Hour, but even then he still had little links like Murray Gold and the general structure of his first season (Plus the fact he had written some of if not the best episodes of NeWho up to that point). Then with Capaldi he had both Clara and previous characters he had created to work with, plus a lot less to have to actually do (Only really introduce a new Doctor).

Moffat also had River Song to connect seasons 4 and 5.

This is another thing that bothered me about Spyfall—why did they need to create a brand new British intelligence agency when the show's history provided so many to choose from?

And, could they not get either Missy or the RTD-era guy to play The Master? I liked Agent Oh, but it would have been the perfect opportunity to bring back a familiar face.

They needn't go massively out of there way to cater to old viewers, but it'd be nice if they threw us a bone or two, just to acknowledge that the past actually happened.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
This is another thing that bothered me about Spyfall—why did they need to create a brand new British intelligence agency when the show's history provided so many to choose from?

MI6 has been our foreign intelligence agency for over a century.

Bringing back Simm again or Missy after her arc ended so perfectly would have been lame. But then I would have preferred Chibnall had the stones to introduce another recurring Time Lord.

Though I guess he may yet still...

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tennant is the most likely one, honestly. It's "too soon" for Capaldi, Eccleston still has an iffy relationship with the show, and Smith seems to still be focused on trying to break Hollywood where Tennant has given up on that and come back to UK TV, probably because he has young UK-based children.

Plus, Tennant ticks all the boxes - Chibnall wrote for him in the RTD era, they are mates from broadchurch, and while they all pretty much know each other, he's the one that's closest to Whittaker. Who did she phone when she got the role to talk about it? Tennant. And, of course, he's the most popular modern Doctor, so if they do want to smash the multi-doctor emergency glass for ratings, Tennant is the one you'd grab.

It might honestly just be easier to bring back a companion from modern Who. I'm actually kinda surprised it hasn't really been more of a thing, I guess RTD did it a few times but I feel like it would just be easier than bringing back a Doctor for a regular episode.
Bring back Captain Jack while the Doctor is still a woman, I think they could get some fun scenes out of that.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The Season 26 Blu-ray has arrived ready to sit inert on my shelf forever (I'm trying to watch Classic Who in chronological order, although I might crack it open for that educational show about the life cycle of stars if it's on there, we loved that in primary school).

I think in Chibnall's imagination, the start of his era was a semi-hard reboot in the manner of the start of the RTD/new series era. But it feels like everyone was expecting or wishes it had been a soft reboot like the start of the Moffat era. I think ultimately when your story picks up literally seconds after the last era and is part of the same ongoing production (even if the team has been shook up) then it's reasonable for fans to expect a smooth flow of continuity.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I have a feeling all three companions will be leaving at the end of this series. Tosin Cole (Ryan) has landed a lead role in a new American series. I can't see Graham staying in the TARDIS if Ryan leaves and there's also the chat that Ryan and Yaz have in the new trailer about all this lasting forever

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I personally think the non-moffat seasons, especially the current season, are really weak.

Like this season none of the companions even got any character development. With how last season ended I thought they would do something with them, but the companions kinda feel more like "the viewer". They dont do anything and they are just on the sidelines checking out what the doctor is doing.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like the guest writers didn't get much of a brief from Chibnall on what plot arc the companions might be having this season. With the overall plot focusing on the Doctor and the Time Lords this time, perhaps not much happens with them apart from them being written out?

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
I have a feeling all three companions will be leaving at the end of this series. Tosin Cole (Ryan) has landed a lead role in a new American series. I can't see Graham staying in the TARDIS if Ryan leaves and there's also the chat that Ryan and Yaz have in the new trailer about all this lasting forever

I could see Ryan leaving (potentially dying) which in turn makes Graham leave full-time, but remains a recurring character next series. Yaz sticks around and you get a fairly well-known actor as the new second companion, probably introduced during a Christmas/New Year special.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I could see Ryan leaving (potentially dying) which in turn makes Graham leave full-time, but remains a recurring character next series. Yaz sticks around and you get a fairly well-known actor as the new second companion, probably introduced during a Christmas/New Year special.
i wouldn't mind this. ryan is my least favourite. i like graham and yaz.

i'm surprised that Bradley Walsh signed on. He's quite popular in the UK. he would probably be too busy to keep Doctor Who going long.

i hope Yaz does stick around for series 13 so it's just her and the doctor.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
If Ryan dies I can't see Graham ever wanting to travel with the Doctor again since it would potentially be her fault that his wife and now grandson are dead

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It might honestly just be easier to bring back a companion from modern Who. I'm actually kinda surprised it hasn't really been more of a thing, I guess RTD did it a few times but I feel like it would just be easier than bringing back a Doctor for a regular episode.
Bring back Captain Jack while the Doctor is still a woman, I think they could get some fun scenes out of that.

I would love an old companion or two to come back, but especially this.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
If Ryan dies I can't see Graham ever wanting to travel with the Doctor again since it would potentially be her fault that his wife and now grandson are dead

I don't think Graham would come to that conclusion, especially since the Doctor never put a gun to Ryan's head and force him to tag along; it's not like the Doctor wouldn't have made them all aware of the risks.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the huge problems with this whole era is that there's just no link between it and previous eras, or even between Jodie and previous Doctors. Of course it's a reboot of sorts, but some things need to stay the same, at least at the start. Tennant had Rose and the production as a whole so that was fine.

Moffat almost killed himself with introducing Smith, 2 companions and the coming of a whole new era with the 11th Hour, but even then he still had little links like Murray Gold and the general structure of his first season (Plus the fact he had written some of if not the best episodes of NeWho up to that point). Then with Capaldi he had both Clara and previous characters he had created to work with, plus a lot less to have to actually do (Only really introduce a new Doctor).

CC however tried to introduce a new female Doctor, 3 companions, whilst his work on the show having been average (At best) before. That plus the fact that there were no real links at all in terms of writing, production or seasonal structure, as well as no stand out performers (Like Moffat was during the RTD era) the whole thing just comes across as bland and alien. I mean, it's not exactly totally terrible but it's just sorta there, and wether it's good or bad Who should never just be 'there'.
Chibnall shouldn't have dropped Bill Potts, IMHO. She was an ordinary girl, she wasn't not part of a complex arc like Amy and Clara were, and would have worked pretty well with the Thirteen Doctor. Alternatively, he could have used Kate Stewart and Osgood for Thirteen's first episode - like the old UNIT crew in Robots or the Paternostar Gang in Deep Breath.

He had many options to provide a smooth transition between the Capaldi and the Whittaker era, but he ended up using none.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Were both Wedding of River Song and Return of Doctor Mysterio on Season 10's?

Husbands of River Song was on Series 9, Mysterio was on Series 10. Neither is the gap release you're thinking of, though - that's Last Christmas. On the Series 9 DVD/BR they include both Last Christmas as the first episode and then Husbands of River Song as the last, so basically it's bookended by Christmas episodes. Last Christmas was also released standalone.

Typically, the DVDs include the previous year's Christmas Special, but it got messed up when they took 2016 off (aside from the Christmas Special) - which necessitated S9 DVD having two.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Husbands of River Song was on Series 9, Mysterio was on Series 10. Neither is the gap release you're thinking of, though - on the Series 9 DVD/BR they include both Last Christmas as the first episode and then Husbands of River Song as the last, so basically it's bookended by Christmas episodes. Last Christmas was also released standalone.
Ahh ok (whoops I got the title wrong haha). I wasn't sure. That's good to know :)

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I just want Graham Gone. There is no need for Bradley Walsh to be on primetime TV 8 times a week.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Ahh ok (whoops I got the title wrong haha). I wasn't sure. That's good to know :)

It's been a bit confusing, to be honest. The 50th box set is one of the weirdest/lowest value sets they've ever put out, for instance, as it's only actually two hours of new Doctor Who but they wanted 60 quid for it when it came out.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's been a bit confusing, to be honest. The 50th box set is one of the weirdest/lowest value sets they've ever put out, for instance, as it's only actually two hours of new Doctor Who but they wanted 60 quid for it when it came out.
Yeah, I've been collecting them all but due to living circumstance changes I hadn't got anything after S9 yet and I haven't even watched the S9 box yet

At least the 50th boxset also included Adventure in Time and Space, that's another perk of it

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This set confused me for the longest time when I was building my collection in the past two years. The Name of the Doctor is included in both the series 7 set and this set, The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor were released only separately and in this boxset, though the boxset included a few extras such as preview clips of the two Doctors bickering before the film started and of a legion of Sontaran sitting in a theatre before. But the 3D transfer of The Day of the Doctor was not included in, only released separately and the 2D transfer played at the wrong speed (24Hz instead of 50Hz), however the box set included only a 2D disc that also was at the incorrect speed, so you had to email the BBC to get a reprint that featured a 50Hz transfer of the film (which I did last year, they're still offering the correct disc for anyone interested).
And than the set also features An Adventure In Time And Space, which isa biographical film about how the original series got of the ground, and while that was released in the US on blu-ray, in PAL territories it was only released on DVD and not on blu-ray except for in this set. However this set was limited to a certain amount of copies and gotten quite expensive since the original release. However, in Australia the set was (is?) still in production until at least late last year and I imported it for about, just under ~€30. The set is identical to the UK one, except for a slightly different packaging and the rating logos, though the later apparently was also included on some of the UK releases, huge rating and all.

That 50's set is such a hot mess, I absolutely love the included content, but there's no reason why it's limited in the UK, released regularly in Australia. Includes extras not released on the two separate discs for no real reason, and just in general it's such a poorly though out set...

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The official Twitter is saying they won't post the biggest spoilers from tonight for 24 hours after broadcast so seems there'll be something in there.

Just a reminder of the thread spoiler policy after the mix-up over Skyfall - open spoilers after UK broadcast. There's still 20 mins to go until it starts but if you're reading this from the future, maybe take this as your warning to not read any further until you've seen the ep.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
If it's any consolation, the 50th anniversary set will be due for re-release in the UK as a Steelbook set eventually. The Steelbooks are about to hit the Smith years with Series 5 up for pre-order.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think Tennant is the most likely one, honestly. It's "too soon" for Capaldi, Eccleston still has an iffy relationship with the show, and Smith seems to still be focused on trying to break Hollywood where Tennant has given up on that and come back to UK TV, probably because he has young UK-based children.

Too soon for capaldi?

Literaly every multi doctor story had the previous one in it O.o

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
That was a weird episode but not in the good way. Tried to be too clever but didn't work out. Captain Jack's return was literally pointless since he was only there to deliver some exposition

Oct 25, 2017
So, Ruth seems to be a previous Doctor from a possible previous set of regeneration cycles then?
Probably the best episode of the series so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Went from a pretty compelling start to being incredibly stupid.

Probably didn't need Jack with all the other setup for a seemingly different plot arc, but I guess if he wasn't there then the companions would have had even less of a reason to be there than they had already.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Okay spoilers here from Gallifrey Base

Poster first posted this on Oct 19

oh boy guys I've got leaks, and you're in for a wild ride with Series 12 and its additions to canon. And it's not looking good.
If you believe me, I have only four clues. Not sure I want to get C&Ded by The BBC.

1. "Cyber Zealot"
2. "Death Particle"
3. "The Master and Waris Hussein"
4. "Ruth and the Child in Time"

So point No.3 definitely was true. They then posted

I feel the only thing I can explain without being murdered is the Child in Time. I'm still in shock at the route Chibnall has gone down.
The Child in Time is the Doctor themselves, and is their "first life" per se. As a child, they were unkillable and could regenerate endlessly. Found on an unknown planet, they were taken back to Gallifrey, where their abilities allowed Gallifreyans to become Time Lords. The character "Ruth" is (apparently) an earlier life of the Doctor.
I appreciate this sounds like the Virgin Books from during the hiatus, but believe me when I say all this is true; and if it's anything like how my source explained it, the entire fandom will explode. I'm shocked.

Oh boy is Chibnall going in hard with the canon. I didn't think we would be going this deep. Especially after last series
2 & 4.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Well it was defos one of the better episodes we've had. I'm glad this means we'll probably get more Jack in the future.

Timeless Child stuff... Well we'll see how it turns out