• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
www.mirror.co.uk

Bradley Walsh to quit Doctor Who after this year's Christmas special

EXCLUSIVE: Bradley Walsh will quit Doctor Who along with co-star Tosin Cole after this year’s festive special as Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord battles the Daleks

Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole exiting the show after the Christmas special. Mandip Gill is returning as Yaz next season.

Sucks about Bradley Walsh but happy about Ryan leaving. That character has been such a downer, "boo hoo our lives are going by without us boo hoo".

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, just started watching Spyfall now that the season is finished... did the world get their memories reset and I just forgot about it? Why does no one remember the entire world getting teleported to a different location? Or the at least like three alien invasions? Why is everyone like "ALIENS ARENT REAL LOL"??
anything previous to season 5 can be explained away by the cracks in time erasing people's memories

this was actually a minor plot point when Amy didn't remember the planets in the sky and all that

as for the stuff that happened after that, no idea

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
anything previous to season 5 can be explained away by the cracks in time erasing people's memories

this was actually a minor plot point when Amy didn't remember the planets in the sky and all that

It's probably just easier to get on with life for most people if they forget about the constant horrible alien invasions happening on Earth. They should just be lucky they don't have to know that most of the alien invasions are stopped by a single friendly alien who may or may not be on the planet for future alien invasions.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
82 is a good AI for a divisive finale. Equal 2nd best of the season. Interesting that Chibnall wrote 4 of the Top 5 rated episodes (barring Vinay Patel's Fugitive of the Judoon).

Fugitive of the Judoon - 83
Spyfall Part 1 - 82
Spyfall Part 2 - 82
The Timeless Children - 82
Ascension of the Cybermen - 81
Haunting of Villa Diodati - 80
Tesla's Night of Terror - 79
Praxeus - 78
Can You Hear Me? - 78
Orphan 55 - 77

My personal rankings:

1. Haunting of Villa Diodati
2. Fugitive of the Judoon
3. Spyfall Part 1
4. The Timeless Children
5. Spyfall Part 2
6. Ascension of the Cybermen
7. Tesla's Night of Terror
8. Can You Hear Me?
9. Praxeus
10. Orphan 55

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the AIs are any indication, people are looking for more serialization, and fewer standalones.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Moffat had said many times that Chibnall, Gatiss, and Whithouse's scripts were the only ones he didn't touch, because they were already good, whereas he fixed the scripts of most of the other writers. With Gatiss uninterested, it was always going to be Chibnall or Whithouse. Whithouse blew his chance away with The Game, while Chibnall had a massive success with Broadchurch so...

I hope next series to be Chibnall's last, the show then can rest a few years and return in full creative force taking Dollard, Mathieson, and Harness back on board.

As a quick aside, talking about the writers for this run, I think Maxine Alderton (Haunting of Villa Diodati) deserves another go-round, I think Haunting stood out even before we got to the "ooh, this is the arc" aspect of it, and part of that being the characters (in particular Byron) being so well-realised.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
www.mirror.co.uk

Bradley Walsh to quit Doctor Who after this year's Christmas special

EXCLUSIVE: Bradley Walsh will quit Doctor Who along with co-star Tosin Cole after this year’s festive special as Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord battles the Daleks

Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole exiting the show after the Christmas special. Mandip Gill is returning as Yaz next season.

I figure Graham will enter a relationship with that one lady from the future (sure hope she gets some paperwork from the Doctor to ensure she doesn't go to jail) and Ryan will probably just complete that arc of not wanting to leave his life behind and work for a better future, maybe joining some sort of environmental protection agency?

The Doctor and Yaz teaming up for the next full season would be great and help give her some much needed character moments more often.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I figure Graham will enter a relationship with that one lady from the future (sure hope she gets some paperwork from the Doctor to ensure she doesn't go to jail) and Ryan will probably just complete that arc of not wanting to leave his life behind and work for a better future, maybe joining some sort of environmental protection agency?

Companions having happy normal endings in NuWho?

IMPOSSIBLE

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, after S5 we only had the invasion of the small cubes in Power of Three and the Cybermen in Dark Water, and people were taking selfies with them. The post-S5 universe still lacks a proper alien invasion.

Oh, well, there were the Monks but it's better to forget about Lie of the Land.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
just saw the ascension of Cybermen.

the beginning where each protagonist info dump each machine role to pedestrian characters 😆
can't even write it subtly
what is that
(Insert machine info)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
tbh, Martha's ending always came across as bit racist to me (most likely unintentionally): one black companion eventually ending up with the only other black companion.

oh I was mostly talking about her first exit from the show, hooking her up with Mickey for one scene was real stupid (they have nothing in common) and yeah kinda sorta racist

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I really want 13 to trigger a regeneration and use the energy to save Graham, then walk off into the sunset and take no credit. 12 did something like this with Davros.

There's always that question, why can't she just get a cure from the future or aliens if the cancer comes back? Distributing a cure might be dodgy in that time because of how history may go. But It's not an easy story if they explore it any further.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Yaz and the Doctor is what the show needs. Gram is the only believable actor on set, but if he has to go, then Ryan goes with him and Yaz can finally do something other then say...that's ma mate....

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Is it me or did the series have some comically funky alien designs during the 60s and 70s?

Watching the Old Who Honest Trailers ? xD

There isn't much you can do without budget and without computer special effects =P
It is either that or the Star Trek way of "aliens = humans with face paint"

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Companions having happy normal endings in NuWho?

IMPOSSIBLE

If they'd ended Amy and Rory's run when they should have, i.e. at the end of The God Complex, we'd have had a couple more. Still bothers me.

Is it me or did the series have some comically funky alien designs during the 60s and 70s?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

alpha1cakyq.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I've rewatched Aliens of London/WWIII and... you know what, this is not as bad as it's remembered. Yes, the farting aliens are embarrassing to watch, the whole two-parter is a bit slow (in general the pacing of the first series feels a bit off now) and the production value feels low, but the episodes are a good crossover of human drama and sci-fi, there's good humor, and dynamics between the Doctor, Jackie, Rose and Mickey are great. This is everything S12 series finale lacked.

Everything done by this episode will be done better by subsequent Davies' episodes (and even some Moffat's ones), and yet even after 15 years if you tolerate the farting aliens and the bad special effects you still have a good piece of television.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've rewatched Aliens of London/WWIII and... you know what, this is not as bad as it's remembered. Yes, the farting aliens are embarrassing to watch, the whole two-parter is a bit slow (in general the pacing of the first series feels a bit off now) and the production value feels low, but the episodes are a good crossover of human drama and sci-fi, there's good humor, and dynamics between the Doctor, Jackie, Rose and Mickey are great. This is everything S12 series finale lacked.

Everything done by this episode will be done better by subsequent Davies' episodes (and even some Moffat's ones), and yet even after 15 years if you tolerate the farting aliens and the bad special effects you still have a good piece of television.
There's a lot of cringey and not very good stuff in early seasons, but the character dynamics have always been consistently strong, even in Fear Her with Ten and Rose. I mean, in a couple of episodes Series 1 effortlessly did even a better companion trio than Chibnall's managed in two entire series.

44061dff415525e577551d27bbaea996.png

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
As a quick aside, talking about the writers for this run, I think Maxine Alderton (Haunting of Villa Diodati) deserves another go-round, I think Haunting stood out even before we got to the "ooh, this is the arc" aspect of it, and part of that being the characters (in particular Byron) being so well-realised.
Agreed - Alderton wrote the best script of the series, and I'm very much hoping she gets to do more.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

There's a lot of cringey and not very good stuff in early seasons, but the character dynamics have always been consistently strong, even in Fear Her with Ten and Rose. I mean, in a couple of episodes Series 1 effortlessly did even a better companion trio than Chibnall's managed in two entire series.

For all the faults in Davies' run, it always had heart and warmth while he was at the helm. The man has a gift for writing characters and dialogue.

That's been my biggest issue with the Chibnall era thus far; it leaves me cold and unmoved.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
For all the faults in Davies' run, it always had heart and warmth while he was at the helm. The man has a gift for writing characters and dialogue.

That's been my biggest issue with the Chibnall era thus far; it leaves me cold and unmoved.

I completely agree. I have just finished Season 2 in my big Doctor Who rewatch and Doomsday whilst all the Dalek and Cybermen stuff was going on had Jackie and Pete's reunion and it was brilliant. You invested in these characters for 2 seasons (not even as full time companions) and it was just so much payoff.

Im now starting Season 3 and I honestly dont believe Ive watched most of the episodes since they aired, the episodes never awe struck me at the time. So I'm quite excited to watch some of them again as an adult (was only 13 at the time of airing). Especially the Human Nature 2-parter.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I've been watching random Doctor Who clips on YouTube cos it keeps recommending them and it's surprising how much enjoyment I get from a clip from an RTD episode I don't particularly like compared to an actual Chibnall episode.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I really want 13 to trigger a regeneration and use the energy to save Graham, then walk off into the sunset and take no credit. 12 did something like this with Davros.

There's always that question, why can't she just get a cure from the future or aliens if the cancer comes back? Distributing a cure might be dodgy in that time because of how history may go. But It's not an easy story if they explore it any further.
Now that you mention it. The Doctor can heal people using regeneration energy, which she has just discovered she has a limitless supply of. EVERYBODY LIVES.

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Graham needs to die pretending to be the Doctor to save Ryan

I said it a while back, but my theory still stands that it's Ryan that dies (probably something gun related since that seems to be his thing) and that causes Graham to want to stop travelling.

You'd kinda hope they'd realise that Graham is the one wide-reaching success in the era, so getting rid of him entirely seems a bit short-sighted. You have to leave the door open so that come Jodie's regeneration you can have her dying and then hear " 'Ere, Doc, what you doing?" off screen.

As amazing as Classic Who was, it'll never top the Dark Souls of BBC children's programming:

Man that brings back memories of getting to go and watch episodes in the school's staff room because they couldn't be bothered to wheel the sole TV out. Any idea what the one based around WWII was called?

That was way better than it had any right to be considering it was seemingly made by a bunch of teenagers. There was more characterisation for Chibnall than the actual man himself bothers to give his own characters.

Makes me wanted a fully fledged W1A style parody of the behind scenes over the various eras.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Soundtrack for series 12 has been announced, no release date given.
We're never getting series 10's are we.

We got a date; April 3rd.

Looking forward to it. I've really enjoyed Akinola's work on the show, especially this series. Between the John Barry stylings of Spyfall and the new themes for the Master and the Cybermen, he's made some really great stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I said it a while back, but my theory still stands that it's Ryan that dies (probably something gun related since that seems to be his thing) and that causes Graham to want to stop travelling.

You'd kinda hope they'd realise that Graham is the one wide-reaching success in the era, so getting rid of him entirely seems a bit short-sighted. You have to leave the door open so that come Jodie's regeneration you can have her dying and then hear " 'Ere, Doc, what you doing?" off screen.

I'm fully and completely willing to eat crow about Graham, too. I fully expected Graham to be INTOLERABLE based on my past experiences with Bradley Walsh but he was my favorite companion in a while. It's just a shame the show was so crowded and hastily written during his time on the TARDIS.

I feel bad to say it, but I could lose Yaz and Ryan both and I wouldn't miss either of them.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Patiently awaiting the soundtrack, will absolutely pick it up. Will wait with the actual release of the blu-ray. Picked up Series 11 only late last year for a decent price and will do the same here. Because lord...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
We got a date; April 3rd.

Looking forward to it. I've really enjoyed Akinola's work on the show, especially this series. Between the John Barry stylings of Spyfall and the new themes for the Master and the Cybermen, he's made some really great stuff.
Yeah, this season's use of the music was much more memorable to me than last season where it felt more in the background than the last composer's. Some great themes, plenty of good tracks, and that Bond-style track was awesome.

That reminds me, I loved the Master's totally disappointed chuckling at the "robot" plan, lmao.
And him excitedly walking in place and doing their walking sound effect as his new Cybermen came in as well lol.
I really liked his and the Doctor's interactions in the season finale.

Last edited: