• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
John Hurt's War Doctor actually made way more sense than not having him. It was clear that Eccleston was a new Doctor in Series 1.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Name of the Doctor wasn't as divisive because "there's a secret Doctor we haven't talked about up until now and it's JOHN HURT, look forward to him in the 50th!" isn't nearly as lore-destructive as "actually the Doctor is technically the first Time Lord and is the most special entity in the entire universe, we probably won't do anything more with it though".

It was setup, rather than a payoff.
The difference here is that there's an on-screen story that was built around that barn, including a 12th Doctor story that showed the Doctor as a young boy on Gallifrey crying in a shed.

"He'll never be a Time Lord" the make guardian says

It wasn't a false memory as Clara was actually there but somehow Chibnall decided it's incompatible with his vision of The Timeless Child. it's also contrary to the watcher time lady from the end of time.

there was a natural unknown regeneration that happened for War Doctor because 8 never got more than a TV movie and we never saw the regeneration until we did.
This shit came out of nowhere and makes no narrative sense.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a false memory as Clara was actually there but somehow Chibnall decided it's incompatible with his vision of The Timeless Child. it's also contrary to the watcher time lady from the end of time.
I think in Chibnall's world the Doctor somehow regenerates into a kid after living for possibly hundreds or thousands of years

Oct 25, 2017
Name of the Doctor was the worst finale until The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos topped it. There's enough that I enjoyed about The Timeless Children that I'd still rank it higher too. Mostly carried by the Master.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda weird that any other lives before Hartnell would go by The Doctor. Ruth Doctor has to be before otherwise she would remember Jodie and she still interacts with the Timelords.

If memories were erased, why would the kid that grew into our current doctor have preciously ended up with the same title, morals etc.

It would be interesting to touch on previous lives where they are atypical of the doctors morals.

It's kinda lame how long lived and integrated the doctors past is now. How does the doc reconcile living forever? They have been critical of that before.

I also dunno if I'm on board with the Timelords being a fabricated race. And the fact that they are utterly destroyed forever it seems. How do you rebuild the race/Gallifrey? I guess can just make up some ppl werent there..

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think in Chibnall's world the Doctor somehow regenerates into a kid after living for possibly hundreds or thousands of years

If the story of Brendan is to be believed and the Doctor's memories were wiped after they served the Division across many regenerations, it's entirely possible the Time Lords forced a specific type of regeneration on them, turning them into a child, much like when the Eighth Doctor forced his regeneration into the War Doctor.

The child that Clara met would then be Hartnell's Doctor, shortly after the Time Lords redacted their memories and dumped them in the middle of nowhere.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If the story of Brendan is to be believed and the Doctor's memories were wiped after they served the Division across many regenerations, it's entirely possible the Time Lords forced a specific type of regeneration on them, turning them into a child, much like when the Eighth Doctor forced his regeneration into the War Doctor.

The child that Clara met would then be Hartnell's Doctor, shortly after the Time Lords redacted their memories and dumped them in the middle of nowhere.
Yes, and it's stupid.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
feels like Chibnall decided he didn't like the time lords, so he killed them all off and made it so the Doctor isn't actually a time lord, so he gets to make his own original-aliens-do-not-steal from the other universe that can be where the Doctor's REALLY from

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
The thing is I have no idea who could potentially take over Chibnall as head writer. None of the current writers the show has enlisted has really stood out

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jamie Mathieson always impressed me. Shame he never got the nod; maybe just not enough experience?

They pretty clearly wanted to hire a SHOWRUNNER as head writer, and Mathieson as far as I know hasn't run a show yet.

This is probably part of the problem - the talents necessary to run a show and the talents necessary to write one don't always overlap, and it takes a very special kind of writer to be able to do both. Maybe they need a showrunner and a head writer working in tandem.

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
We didn't get a 100% definitive answer but in Series 9 it seems pretty clear that the Doctor and Clara together were the hybrid because they were so dangerous together. It's why the TARDIS was hostile towards Clara in Series 7.

I know Hell Bent kind of gets a short shrift around these parts, but I'd really recommend everyone reading this blog post on Giga Who, posted before The Timeless Children aired, basically looking back at Hell Bent and the Hybrid arc and how it works by purposefully avoiding a set definition: https://gigawho.wordpress.com/2020/...nd-everything-will-change-forever-more-again/

It kind of highlights my point that where Chibnall seems content to just pour a load of lore out on a script and be done with it, Moffat would often tease fanwanky lore stuff but then subvert it entirely in service of character.

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
Ok I just watched that episode with Ruth and boy did she outshine Jodie by a mile!

But after reading what you all told me I really fear for this show....chibnall doesn't seem to know what's canon and is just throwing shit at the wall.

Doctor who really did finish with Capaldi for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Jamie Mathieson always impressed me. Shame he never got the nod; maybe just not enough experience?
Moffat had said many times that Chibnall, Gatiss, and Whithouse's scripts were the only ones he didn't touch, because they were already good, whereas he fixed the scripts of most of the other writers. With Gatiss uninterested, it was always going to be Chibnall or Whithouse. Whithouse blew his chance away with The Game, while Chibnall had a massive success with Broadchurch so...

I hope next series to be Chibnall's last, the show then can rest a few years and return in full creative force taking Dollard, Mathieson, and Harness back on board.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Since watching the finale I've been reading up on the old 7th Doctor/New Adventures Gallifrey backstory. They actually have the whole "The Doctor has a previous life before the 1st" in common, but they approach it very differently.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and it's stupid.

Oh totally.

I don't mind that the Doctor is credited with the functional immortality of the Time Lords since Rassilon is credited with their time travel technology, but the execution of it is horrible. The Doctor didn't give the Time Lords their immortality, the Time Lords stole it and then used the Doctor as a puppet for the Division to alter history as they desired?

Oct 25, 2017
medium.com

Tweetnotes: Doctor Who — The Timeless Children

An audience held captive while exposition is given to them for 45 minutes.

eOsTzh2.gif

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
www.mirror.co.uk

Bradley Walsh to quit Doctor Who after this year's Christmas special

EXCLUSIVE: Bradley Walsh will quit Doctor Who along with co-star Tosin Cole after this year’s festive special as Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord battles the Daleks

Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole exiting the show after the Christmas special. Mandip Gill is returning as Yaz next season.

For the love of god, please let it be just the Doctor and Yaz for a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
medium.com

Tweetnotes: Doctor Who — The Timeless Children

An audience held captive while exposition is given to them for 45 minutes.

eOsTzh2.gif
Yeah, Ellard's tweet notes are offering a good insight of what's the show is doing wrong.

El Sandifer's weekly Eruditorum reviews, while less "technical", are also good.
For the love of god, please let it be just the Doctor and Yaz for a bit.

If next series is Whittaker's last, I wonder if Yaz will stay for a fourth season to provide a smooth transition between Doctors, like Clara and Rose did.

Or maybe she could leave with Whittaker and they could introduce a secondary companion mid-season.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Ever notice how often people refer to Thirteen as "Jodie's Doctor", but no one ever calls Ten "David's Doctor"?

Hartnel! Baker! McCoy! Eccleston! Hurt! Smith! Capaldi! Moffat! Chibnall!

Jodie.

Funny, that.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
2nd companion who stays on while Yaz leaves. I prefer overlapping companions like the classic series but back then they didn't need to worry about season arcs and marketing I guess.

May 26, 2018
Ever notice how often people refer to Thirteen as "Jodie's Doctor", but no one ever calls Ten "David's Doctor"?

Hartnel! Baker! McCoy! Eccleston! Hurt! Smith! Capaldi! Moffat! Chibnall!

Jodie.

Funny, that.

I've heard Smith's Doctor and Capaldi's Doctor before. Generally they were from earlier days when people were still trying to get a hold on the new interpretation.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So those machines were called CyberMasters... but most of us have been calling them CyberLords. I prefer the later.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I've heard Smith's Doctor and Capaldi's Doctor before. Generally they were from earlier days when people were still trying to get a hold on the new interpretation.
Smith and Capaldi, not Matt and Peter. That's the difference. I have seen people say Whittaker but it's less common.

So those machines were called CyberMasters... but most of us have been calling them CyberLords. I prefer the later.
I agree, but their inventor is an egomaniac so...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Walsh is the only companion that I wanted them to keep. Although it's probably too late to redeem any of the companions at this point and make them interesting. Might have been better going completely fresh.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, the usual situation is after three series, The actor/actress playing The Doctor looks to bow out.
I wonder if we'll get a series of specials or if we'll get one more series and then another festive special with that special being the regeneration episode at the same time.
I'd go with the latter, seems to be more the norm.

I can only hope Chibnall goes as well and we can move on from this mostly mess of an era in Who.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You people really are bad at knowing what makes someone a choosen one =P

The timeless children stuff has NOTHING to do with a choosen one stuff.
Clara being trown into the time stream making the doctor try to find her versions and therefore turning her into a companion is a choosen one stuff.

The timeless children stuff just make the doctor "not exactly a timelord" which ... is like the doctor being half human =P
Unique =/= choosen one

www.mirror.co.uk

EXCLUSIVE: Bradley Walsh will quit Doctor Who along with co-star Tosin Cole after this year’s festive special as Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord battles the Daleks

Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole exiting the show after the Christmas special. Mandip Gill is returning as Yaz next season.

YES !

Love Bradley Walsh and Cole but the show is in desperate need of one companion only =P

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Bradley Walsh is leaving? Big meh. He was the only good part about those new seasons.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Could be any number of ways. Maybe the Doctor just left the moment lying in the barn and he just stumbled across that, or some other weapon left over from the time war.

I don't think it's something that really needs explaining, it doesn't seem to implausible that the Master could have done something that that to me, he's plenty resourceful.

Maybe not, but I think I'd quite like a Big Finish story that's just the Sacha Dhawan Master in the Barn talking to the Moment

who is, of course, played by Michelle Gomez

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please, just pare it down to one companion. Two at the absolute outside. We've been drowning in useless generic companions for way too long already.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should have been just the Doctor and Yaz from the beginning, or maybe them and Graham.

No offense to Tosin Cole, but Ryan is the blandest and most unnecessary companion since the classic era. He feels like he's there solely because the BBC demanded that a young male be part of the cast out of concern that boys would stop watching.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think is the difference between NuWho and OldWho, that they managed to pull off multiple companions pre-2005...well pre-Colin Baker anywho...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
www.mirror.co.uk

I'm kind of glad.

I prefer Graham but Yaz is the only one with an actual potentially interesting relationship with the Doctor.

I don't think though that cutting the companions (granted involuntarily) down to 1 is gonna fix the issues. Because the issue is that these characters get almost no scenes of development whatsoever.