• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't think any game is on the level of the best literature and cinema stories, like Les Misérables and Ben-Hur.

But some of them are great and definitely better than a lot of works in these mediums.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Maybe Bioshock? But the way Bioshock tells the story is very different from traditional storytelling (and this is a problem for a lot of games)... I don't know if it's really comparable.

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, KotOR, and the Witcher 3

Kermit-Tea.jpg

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming is at a disadvantage here because most genres require some sort of padding for gameplay purposes, and that's going to negatively impact story. To answer the question, I'm going to say No, but I understand why and I'm not going to fault games for that. I don't think it's something that most games can easily overcome, it's more complicated than just writing a better story.

Mac Dalton

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect. is for ne on a level like Star Trek... The Lore is amazing... I would liove to watch a Mass Effect TV Series

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I think games can be on par with movies and perhaps some already are, but the story telling is structurally quite different, direct comparisons difficult. In games, the story telling can result from the player's own exploration of an interactive environment, and there's not really an equivalent experience in movies. On the book side, I don't think games can compare to novels, but perhaps to short story anthologies and comic books.

I think the bigger divide is simply quality of writing. While there are standouts, most games with any story haven't graduated from pulp at best.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, the best in gaming is on the level of some serviceable media story wise. Contextual story telling like in bloodborne and hollowknight imo are great and you cant really find a good equivalent in other mediums

But as far as traditional story telling nothing comes even close and I don't know if the industry is even ready for more then like a Hollywood blockbuster level story. Like how would they convey the depth of The Wind Up Bird Chronicles in a game without people just whining about how it shouldve been a book
The Wind Up Bird Chronicles would absolutely work in the medium as a point and click adventure game.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Many, however I will just stick to a few favourites.

1. Prince of Persia:Sands of Time
2. Star Wars: Knights of the old republic
3.Final Fantasy VI
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Mirrors Edge
6. Batman Arkham City
7. Tales of the Borderlands

There are many other honerable mentions. You also see the reverse where films start to take more influence from games IE Fast and Furious 7 directly paying homage to Uncharted 2s opening, Star Wars TFA lifting a scene almost directly out of KOTOR ect

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
its hard to put them head to head. A film, TV show or novel is a story being told me as a reader, I am simply along for the ride (in most cases)

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Some of the older Bioware stuff holds up pretty well. The original Mass Effect had a great story even if they ran it into the ground in the next installments. The KOTOR games are far better Star Wars stories than any of the modern movies (I know one was from Obsidian) and Baldur's Gate was a pretty epic fantasy tale.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Does it really matter? Games, books, television and films all tell and prioritise their stories in different ways that I generally don't find comparing any of them very helpful.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I don't think any game is on the level of the best literature and cinema stories, like Les Misérables and Ben-Hur.

But some of them are great and definitely better than a lot of works in these mediums.

Ben Hur is Pretty comparable to a standard Assasins Creed plot all things considered

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The overall Soulsborne narrative is freaking incredible. I'd rank that leagues above most other narrative driven games. It's the only thing that has ever scratched the Book of the New Sun itch other than rereading Book of the New Sun for the umpteenth time.

Other than that, Vagrant Story has an amazing narrative with some of the best cutscene direction in any game. It really stretches the limited options available to the engine to create a really cinematic and compelling experience.

I think The Last of Us and RDR/2 have great stories, though I don't 100% know if I'd put them up there with "the greats". They are certainly good, though!

Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus are very literary and playlike, I enjoy those as well. Same with Pathologic and The Void.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Up there with the actual best? Absolutely not.

I would say Shadow of the Colossus is up there with some of the Neil Gaiman/Guillermo del Toro fairy-tale-metafiction sort of stuff, and that Silent Hill 2 is better than some things David Lynch has done, but those are just things that I *like* and not really the top echelon of storytelling of all time.

Then again, movies are pretty much categorically worse than novels are at pure storytelling too, and they've got other strengths to make up for that.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale

And it would only work as a game since it uses the strenghts of the medium, just like the best movies or books.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does any video game story compare to the best movies, books or TV stories? No, absolutely not.

Are there stories that are competitive with books, TV and film despite not reaching top literary heights? Absolutely. Suikoden II is a great example. The Witcher 3 is another one. They may not be competitive with literary masterpieces but that doesn't mean their stories are bad.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy and I would hold these games up as comparable to many of the genre greats:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (which it manages to tell without words), Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War (recent), What Remains of Edith Fitch, Mass Effect Trilogy (sure the ending, but 99% of the rest was awesome), Witcher 3, and KOTOR, Chrono Trigger, The Gardens Between, and Lost Odyssey.

Most games you can almost see where the narrative gets shuffled to the back for a mechanics or cropped due to time to polish other aspects, or were shoe horned in to explain an objective regardless if it didn't match up with the established character/s. Very few do story well and often it's they do it 'good for a video game'. Those I mention not only do it well but blend so well with the interactive portions that instead of feeling like they're competing for the player's attention or merely existing in service to the other, that it shows off what a unique story telling method games can be.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I cant think of a movie that plays as well as the best games either. Its weird.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No.

Even the best video game stories I can think of would come across as middle of the road in film.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock. Not in terms of just the story, but in the overall experience. No other game to this day (or before it) told a story that was unique to the medium of video games like Bioshock did. Everything from the story, the gameplay, the lore, the setting - all of it together with what that game was meant to express resulted in a really amazing package.

I remember when I finished it, I had that feeling of wanting everyone to experience it - same way I've felt after reading certain books, seeing certain movies, listening to certain albums, etc.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, neither can most movies or tv.
At least someone gets it.

Most movies' stories are utter crap compared to the best literature has to offer. What does that tell us about movies' ability to tell stories?

There are a number of video games out there which have great stories, either because they are deep and well written as such, or because they are a great complement to the "game part" in providing context and motivation even though, taken as is, they may not be interesting/original stories. There are quite a number of games which fall into the latter and I don't see on which ground you could say "but if you take away the game part, strictly the story part isn't good". This makes no sense.

If you remove the screenplay, many movies are utter crap. Who would have guessed?

And I won't even mention all that could be said about the emergent narratives many games allow which is often disregarded unconsciously even though that's undoubtedly a fair deal of the game story the player experienced. The game "story" isn't necessarily limited to what the writer(s) directly intended, like you can always find subtexts in stories which the author didn't even consider.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This isn't really a fair comparison. Comparing the story in a game to the story in a book. That's all a book is. That's just a small part of a game. I think when you take every part of a game together it can easily surpass a book. But just the story itself? Nah, at least not yet. Same with a movies. The interactive nature of games has to be taken into account.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I thought Quantum Break had a really solid time travel story but it was just spread between in-game cutscenes, live-action TV episodes, and scattered lore collectibles.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for Xenosaga. Xenogears also.

I'd also throw in Yakuza, I find the cut scenes as well directed as most crime shows/movies.

Nier Automata for the way the story and gameplay are constantly messing with audience expectations.

Plenty of golden age ps1 JRPGs.

Not necessarily on the level of great literature or film, but I'd argue to some players they are just as important or more.

Xenogears >>>>>>>>> Ulysses

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dark souls, Bloodborne, Soma and Shadow of the colossus.
Bloodborne is my favourite musical. :-)

Last of us is like a 3/5 zombie flick/game.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
i think Spec Ops: The Line would be a good story for a movie, to a point where people will actually say WTF?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Couldn't transplant a games story to the screen without changes regardless of how good it is anyway so kinda moot. Like something such as spec ops wouldn't work the way it is in game on the screen because it hinges on "you" doing the stuff for the adaption to work.

I know it's based on heart of darkness but that adaption only works in a game, for a movie you'd need to go along the lines of apocalypse now.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, no game has a plot that can compare to stuff like 1984, There Will Be Blood or Citizen Kane for example

Some have better gameplay tho