• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
The OP seems a suspiciously simple for what's obviously a hot topic, but sure...

Does any video game story compare to the best movies, books or TV stories? No, absolutely not.

Are there stories that are competitive with books, TV and film despite not reaching top literary heights? Absolutely. Suikoden II is a great example. The Witcher 3 is another one. They may not be competitive with literary masterpieces but that doesn't mean their stories are bad.

This is essentially my answer. I have a hard time finding a video game original story that is literally like a 10/10 film or television story, but there are a number I find that I could match with 8-9/10 cinematic pieces. I don't think it really takes away from games as much as some would like it to, however. The interactive core of conventional video games makes many of the experiences different altogether and aren't primed in the same light for storytelling.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
As long as there are restrictions on what the player can do and what is presented to prevent ludonarrotive dissonance. That shit really runs the story telling. Like a character that acts like a passive pacifist in cutscenes and dialogue, that in gameplay is gleefully slaughtering thousands of enemies. Or when you slaughter those thousands of elite troopers and go to a cutscene and are easily captured by two nobodies.
Well that's one of the issue I have with the traditional cinematic style narratives.

I've never played a game where there wasn't at least some dissonance between cutscenes and gameplay.

I find the most effective story telling in games is either where the gameplay is extremely controlled or where cutscenes are barely used at all.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's one of the issue I have with the traditional cinematic style narratives.

I've never played a game where there wasn't at least some dissonance between cutscenes and gameplay.

I find the most effective story telling in games is either where the gameplay is extremely controlled or where cutscenes are barely used at all.
I agree.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything in gaming can yet equal the depth or emotion that is seen in the very best we have seen in literature and movies.

As good as graphics are there are very far from conveying what the best actors can do in a movie. And there is no technical limitation on writing in games, but its not as good as the best of the best of books (but the same can be said of most books).

But games stories are not throwaways anymore either and I feel they have come a long, long way. The voice acting is still not as good as the best animated movies, but it is really good now and I can comfortably say that the best stories in video games are better than a lot of popular movies, tv shows and literature.

Personally I always like the games best that don't try to ape movies (which is really what most narrative games do). For me I like the games that explore the things that are not possible in the other mediums. Either the most bat shit crazy stuff or when they combine visuals, sound and the control of the character to do something not possible in other mediums (even if its something as dumb as a well executed QTE).

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Not really. Literature still stands along when it comes to pure-raw storytelling, but even in the realms of TV and Film I can't think of any game on the same level as The Godfather/Breaking Bad, etc.

Could there be a videogame with a story to equal Ulysses or Les Miserables? Perhaps, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
HOW DID I FORGET LEGACY OF KAIN, such an impressive feat of writing especially considering how time travel stories tend to go.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Ahn what? There is a story in SoTc. A minimalist story for sure, but still one of the best in the gaming medium. Did you played the game?
I am with you bro. Stories like SoTC or Super Metroid or Half Life are the ones I like the most. There are something you can't do in any other medium. Even if its not cutscene or dialogue heavy, they create a mood and emotion in a way that can't be replicated by a movie.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU is up there with zombie movies. Great interaction between characters. Everyone that was not a regular goon was interesting as well.
There are lots of good stories that could compare with movies, but only TLOU imho has what I value more: character development. It might be cliche, but I'm a sucker for it.

Books is something else. No, not with books.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
On its own term there are probably some fantastic works out there.
I'd argue that any half decent game does a better job selling you its setting than most movies even.
If we're using movie, book or theatrical values then it's of course not even a question and we're never ever getting there.
One thing games are really bad at is character development I think, games very rarely manage to make as compelling a case of a character evolving in a way that's not just your standard power fantasy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is essentially my answer. I have a hard time finding a video game original story that is literally like a 10/10 film or television story, but there are a number I find that I could match with 8-9/10 cinematic pieces. I don't think it really takes away from games as much as some would like it to, however. The interactive core of conventional video games makes many of the experiences different altogether and aren't primed in the same light for storytelling.

Exactly.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
TLOU is up there with zombie movies. Great interaction between characters. Everyone that was not a regular goon was interesting as well.
There are lots of good stories that could compare with movies, but only TLOU imho has what I value more: character development. It might be cliche, but I'm a sucker for it.

Books is something else. No, not with books.
I feel like comparing TLOU with your random zombie movie is doing a great disservice to TLOU.
In the context of film making, zombie movies rarely if ever manage to get top billing, their budgets are usually limited which means that they have to do more with less.
TLOU on the other hand had basically unlimited budget and was a flagship for a platform holder.
If the best video games has to offer is basically on the level of random zombie movie, it's hard to say that it's worthy of that much attention.
So I would disagree on the comparison.

sickvisionz

Jan 19, 2018
Purely in terms of cut scenes, I can't really name any.

I would say that purely on cut scenes, I've seen a lot of games on par with or better than your average movie though Like I don't think Heavy Rain is worse than your typical police procedural on TV. I think people act like every episode of CSI is True Detecitve or something when they talk about HR. I don't think Beyond is worse than a lot of that teen stuff they show on CW. Detroit feels just as good as Fringe to me and that show ran for like 5 or 6 seasons and got good reviews. The Prince of Persia that everyone hates isn't worse than some random adventure movie imo. The one that people love is better than an average adventure movie to me (talking like that Divergent, Maze Runner, Mortal Engines stuff). I don't know if it's as good as the BEST though. Like it doesn't really compare with A Few Good Men but hell, most court room dramas don't compare with A Few Good Men.

In terms of interactive stories... every non-video game interactive story is pretty poor or poorly executed compared to what games have been doing for a hot minute. Bandersnatch is straight garbage compared to Telltale TWD, David Cage, and adventure games. I played a DVD game a long time ago, it was terrible too compared to games at the time. I think it was Clue or something. Dragon Age is way better than that. Like random action games on PS2 are better imo.

If we're doing apples and oranges and saying games as a whole and what they can do for a story vs what a movie can, KOTOR1 and 2 on paper are like standard movies but the interaction and length you get to grow with the characters makes it pretty cool in it's own right in a way that movies fail miserably at.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Legacy of Kain is an all time great Machiavellian Tale, and it would stand on its own if it was instead released as a literary work.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
I'd say no but after playing fata morgana, I'd consider that one of the best stories I've seen and perhaps my favorite.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
RDR 2 is the only game that managed to organically change the way I played the game to conform to the character. I started off shootin, robbin, and fightin' but as Arthur changed as a person. I didn't do much of any of that on my own.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
While the plot is nothing the write home about, I become more attached to the characters in Persona 4 than in any other piece of media.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Hard no for me. I think traditional, written "stories" in games is barking up the wrong tree, ultimately, even though they can act as wonderful wrapper for what is hopefully a meaningful gameplay experience in its own right.

I think intent with the experience of playing a game is vastly more interesting, and suddenly something you wouldn't even think to compare with film. I don't think people feel that The Witness has a story, but it has themes, and it can make you realise something about the pursuit of patterns as part of being human. I think that can be profound and deeply personal in a way "stories" aren't, necessarily.

I think we're too quick (and, certainly, developers are as well) to look for/apply artistic merit in games that we base on other mediums. People always played the Ico and Shadow of The Colossus card when somebody asked whether games are art, mostly because they are overtly "artsy" in visuals, audio and composition, but that's not really where the art unique to games is, and thus not really a strong foundation for it. I used a frying pan to hammer a nail into my wall once, and it worked beautifully and got the job done perfectly well, but ultimately you can always do a better job hammering nails with a hammer. You need to.. I dunno.. buy some eggs to use a frying pan in a way that totally blows a hammer away.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be really hard for a TV show or movie to properly capture my journey with Arthur Morgan. Only a novel could match that, IMO.

The interactive nature and length of the medium can be utilized to tell some very good stories.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that our lens through which we analyse the narratives of games is so weak that the games that do even stand out don't really receive the same kind of lasting thought that works in other mediums do. Basically there's a lack of academic thought on games, but I think if this existed more prominently games like Shadow of the Colossus, Undertale, and even stuff like Dark Souls and Bloodborne when you consider everything in the games as a whole in the narrative it is presenting, would be viewed very highly.

Do you believe todays literary classics where considered as important as they are now upon their orginal release? It's only with the great legacy of literary criticism they really gain the kind of cultural recognition they have. That's what is missing from games right now

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Purely on plot, it's hard to think of many games better than the best of other media. With that said:
To the Moon and Tactics Ogre made me stop playing for a while and think about the themes of those games. Not many have ever done that.
Undertale legit made me cry and laugh, the only show I can think of that's done that is WW1 Blackadder. The quality of the writing in Undertale is insane, and I've only put 3 hours into the game.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, while I wouldn't say had the best story, the characters in the game are really colourful, with side quests that have a pretty satisfying payoff. Same with the Witcher series.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be more interesting to compare the game stories that rely on the fact that it's a game in order to convey their story effectively, such as Dark Souls or Shadow of the Colossus.

It's better to compare to those because only games can provide the same environmental story telling as Dark Souls, or the story through gameplay of Shadow of the Colossus.

The Last of Us is great, I love it and it's a great story that I think rivals HBO quality stories, but there's no reason it couldn't be adapted to a TV short show or movie and convey the story about as well.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like ranking stories against each other. I think as long as I've found something interesting to appreciate in a story, it's worth it. There are plenty of game stories like that.

Final Fantasy Tactics is definitely a favorite of mine. It just has such a unique structure and concept, so completely unlike anything I've read elsewhere.

Odin Sphere is another favorite of mine. It doesn't have a ton of text, but it's very sharply written and deeply emotional. I cared so deeply about those characters by the end.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see a single movie match Bloodborne's atmosphere and presentation

Same with Silent Hill 3, the horror movie genre rarely cares for it's sets, and when it does they're nearly always just dark, grimy, or slimy. I want a movie to put forth wild experimental set horror that can match up to SH3's Otherworld location art design.

Although, in terms of just story, IMHO Nier Automata works amazingly on this front as well.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the best games have stories that take advantage of, or consolidate, a great gameplay loop. It's unfair to compare the medium when taking out the major part of what makes a game a game.
Synergy with gameplay is more important than direct comparison to non-interactive medias.

If you take the stories alone in a vacuum, then no, no game can ever compare to what the best books and movies have to offer.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Most of the best games have stories that take advantage of, or consolidate, a great gameplay loop. It's unfair to compare the medium when taking out the major part of what makes a game a game.
Synergy with gameplay is more important than direct comparison to non-interactive medias.

If you take the stories alone in a vacuum, then no, no game can ever compare to what the best books and movies have to offer.
What is your favorite film and book?

Deleted member 54469

Mar 4, 2019
Warcraft. Yakuza. Uncharted. DX, especially DX:HR. Probably a few more but those are the first that come to mind

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Oh my lol

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Uncharted
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
Half Life
Oxenfree
Shadow of Memories
Final Fantasy (VII comes to mind)
God of War 2018

I just covered SciFi, Post apocalyptic, Action, Mediavel, Fantastic, Horror...and I didn 't need to think much!

There are videogames that have such such brilliant stories and fictional worlds.

I could just be coming back and adding more and more titles to the list lol

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
Absolutely. Bioshock Infinite's story and characters easily were as compelling to me as many of my favorite films, TV shows and books--and arguably has had a much longer-term emotional impact on me than the majority of them.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
No. But they do other things for me.

No game had ever got near, say, my favourite novels: The Leopard, Master and Margarita, Catch 22. M&M encapsulates so much complicated culture and history in a tragi-comic form. In Search of Lost Time is... life. No game can possibly match the interiority of Virginia Woolf, for instance.

But they don't need to, imo. They do other great stuff. No novel has given me the same joy as my favourite games.

Different joys and strengths and values for different media.

Yeah this, really.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Don't think any are comparable to great books, but due to the inherent limitations of movies & TV show length, I think plenty of games outpace movies that are supposedly good, or "critically acclaimed."

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I've a Confession I don't think I have barely taken notice of a Games Story, in fact it bugs me more than anything.

I play games for gameplay and fun and when there is Cut scenes or end scenes telling story, I immediately bash the skip button if I can or I Zone out if I can't.

I know thats how most games work these days but cos I grew up in an era where lots of games didn't have these epic stories they had some but eh I'd just ignore. I just can't get into it.

Just let me shoot or puzzle or drive to my hearts content, I'll keep my stories for books and movies personally.

Thats not to say I think they should be removed, they just aren't for me.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot I love but even the best of the best in gaming is mediocre compared to the best of TV, film and literature.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Games that segregate their stories from their gameplay such that one is always interrupting the other tend to fall pretty flat with me, even if the writing and film-making are superb in isolation. You can't take a great movie, chop it up into scenes, and force the viewer to jump through mechanical hoops to get to the next scene and claim you haven't made that story dramatically worse, if not outright ruined it. Games like that would just be better off being movies or TV shows, imo. The only way they could compare favorably to great works in other media is if you completely ignore and discount the game part and how that enhances or undermines the narrative--the analytical equivalent of those youtube videos that compile the cutscenes of a game into a "movie" with most/all of the interactive bits culled out.

This is generally how I feel about stories in video games. I tend to prefer ones that don't over-rely on cut scenes. There have been video game stories I've enjoyed that are mostly cut scenes, but for the most part that enjoyment has been independent of the gameplay, like a pretty good movie or TV show stapled on top of a pretty good video game but never really interacting with it.

I felt like The Last of Us didn't need to be a video game to work. It was a typical post-apocalyptic drama put on the same disc as a typical third person action game, its set pieces not as memorable as the ones in Uncharted. Uncharted in itself is just an action adventure movie stitched between a bunch of interactive set pieces, but you have to admit those set pieces tell an exciting story on their own, like a roller coaster.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is essentially a really good seinen anime stapled on top of an entertaining radio drama stapled on top of a good stealth video game.

Yakuza's cut-scenes could be an entertaining J-Drama on their own. The game by itself, which really includes all the side stories, still however make for a unique and entertaining virtual tourism simulator filled with well-written short stories.

I'm more impressed by interesting video game stories that are actually told through the gameplay.

Soma is some really interesting subject matter that couldn't be done in anything other than a game and have the same impact. How it measures up to a movie depends on the writing I guess. The same goes for 999 and Return of the Obra Din.

If you go back to older or more traditional-style point-and-click adventure games maybe some of that stuff could stand up to most literature: The Shivah, I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream (which is based on a book), Charnel House Trilogy.

How does Half-Life 1 measure up to action movies?

RPGs, particularly big-budget 3D CRPGs, might be a bit harder to describe but I don't know: How do you think Mass Effect 1 would measure up to a show on Syfy? It has a lot of short cut scenes but they're interspersed with dialogue options that affect the plot. CRPGs that rely on cut scenes less or not at all are less ambiguous here, like Planescape Torment or Fallout New Vegas.

The Witcher 3 is a really weird one. Does it have a lot of cut scenes? Yes, but those cut scenes could probably not stand on their own narratively. Like Mass Effect, they're connected to and affected by dialogue and gameplay choices. And more importantly, the side quests in Witcher 3 feel very close to Sapkowski's original short stories that inspired the game.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I dunno, but Warcraft 3 heavily reminds me of Game of Thrones, many characters from Warcraft 2 die, the heroes don't have any plot armour & the bad guys blatantly win in a very non-hollywood ending.
I miss when Chris Metzen was a bit more edgy & was happy to kill off half the cast & give the bad guys the win. if they ever make a Warcraft 4 it will basically be another comic book story that Blizzard has been doing since post 2010, good guys win & everyone is happy.