• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Currently playing BOTW and absolutely loving it. Such a fantastic game and the sense of exploration is unrivaled imo.

However the rain mechanic is an absolute crazy design decision. Who thought it would be a good idea to base a big portion of your game on climbing and then make it so you are unable to climb when it rains for long periods? I just went to climb a mountain and just had to stand still for 5 minutes until the rain stopped.

Just curious if anyone actually liked this mechanic and why?

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Found it very frustrating but from a design point of view I do kind of get it and I think in some areas it's forced me to find alternative ways around and up which isn't necessarily a bad thing in an open world game.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure its universally hated. I keep plenty of wood and flint in case I need to start a fire somewhere dry to pass the time

Oct 27, 2017
I like it in theory, but in practice it was kind of annoying. There should have been a rain suit or something to mitigate it.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As it is, no. If there had been an item or gear set that allowed you to climb in it without slipping, it would have been fine.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean part of a big adventure is dealing with the elements. It's not like I was happy when it happened, but it made it feel more involving rather than just being a pointless random bit of aesthetic. For a game that made me feel like I was on my own Lord of the Rings-esque adventure through the world, how many scenes are there of them suffering through the mud, huddling from the rain, etc.

Not everything has to be in the player's favor, and BOTW clearly isn't interested in making things easy for you at all times. It's not like there aren't ways around it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I liked having to find an area of overhanging rock to shield me from the rain so that I could get a bonfire going and use the updraft to make more progress. I liked the risk of starting a big climb with the possibility that it could all go fuckup. I liked having the freedom of being able to climb everywhere combined with a mechanic which forced me to change my plans on the fly and decide between finding an alternative path, attempting to push on or waiting out the weather. I like mechanics which make you actually examine your surroundings, make plans and either execute them or adapt them.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I do. Frustration is a part of adventure, and many different emotions collectively make up the experience; not just purely enjoyable ones.

Plus you can still climb, you just have to time when to jump. So it make you rethink how to scale certain things.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
No one ever mentions the silver linings of the rain.

It muffles your footsteps for when you're trying to sneak and also supercharges the effects of lightning arrows and weapons.

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disliked it. If I recall correctly, I believe there's a way to climb even when it's raining. Maybe with an item or gear.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much it frustrates you is really going to depend on your mindset going in. I very much appreciate that it's a thing, because I like the idea that the world doesn't always bend to the player's convenience. If I needed to climb something and rain made that an impossibility, I found myself enjoying the opportunity to take a breather, explore around and sometimes get completely sidetracked.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
0 issues with rain. It's part of the open world problem solving and there's always a way to overcome, either through stamina food, timing leaps in between resting points, or finding an alternate path.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it was the dumbest shit

i used to just put the controller down and do something else until it stopped raining

hoping it's gone in botw2

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. It gives plenty of things a change-up. Electric Arrows being basically super buffed, having to swap from your (probably) extremely strong metal bow and sword, having to figure out how to traverse differently or if you want to rest you have to find some place dry so you can start your campfire, etc.

It made traversal way more interesting than I just always have my steelbow/weapon, climb here to get there, and plopping a fire down whenever to pass time.

Not to mention I really like rain in games anyway so that was a plus.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The rain is one of the many elements in the game that make it feel more tangible and real and not feel like something that was designed for the player's convenience (even though there are lots of elements that affect the player subconsciously). Wouldn't want the game to be without it.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There is a forecast section of the HUD so you can see it's going to start raining soon, and plan around it. And different parts of the map are more likely to have rain than others, so some places are just harder to climb in general because of that.

I never really had a problem with rain.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great for atmosphere but really fucking annoying with climbing, it just wasted time. Link is probably the unluckiest person in the world because every time it storms he gets struck lol.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I love rain in games. Combat wise it usually brings storms which added an interesting element to fights and your equipment.

Climbing-wise it was frustrating but added an interesting wrinkle into the mechanic. Having stamina limitations and fighting against the elements too really made it feel like you were suffering to get up a mountain.

Don't mind it at all.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I mean part of a big adventure is dealing with the elements. It's not like I was happy when it happened, but it made it feel more involving rather than just being a pointless random bit of aesthetic. For a game that made me feel like I was on my own Lord of the Rings-esque adventure through the world, how many scenes are there of them suffering through the mud, huddling from the rain, etc.

Not everything has to be in the player's favor, and BOTW clearly isn't interested in making things easy for you at all times. It's not like there aren't ways around it.
This is pretty spot on. Did I like it? No. Do I think it adds to the games immersiveness? Yes absolutely

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
The fact that rain actually changes the environment by creating puddles of water(which you can use) is absolutley insane.
I can easily forgive the slippery rocks/walls.

Best "everything works together" VG engine ever.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's possible to climb even in rain, even for a long period of time if you know what you're doing. So it never bothered me, it actually just added a nice layer of challenge which was fun. Also it made some nice scenery especially when it was storm at the same time.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind them all that much. If you're into the immersion, you could always just set up camp and wait it out. Or find a climbing route that allows for breaks.

I kinda appreciated the mechanic for making me look for alternate routes.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Great for atmosphere but really fucking annoying with climbing, it just wasted time. Link is probably the unluckiest person in the world because every time it storms he gets struck lol.

Only when you wear weapons/armor which contain metal. You are pretty save when sticking to stoneage stuff when a thunderstorm appears.
Thanks to the unrivaled chemistry/physics engine of the game

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing infuriated me more in that game than every time I went to go get the blue flame for the ancient furnace and every single time I went for it It started raining, making me leave the area and going to do something else. It took me almost 6 hours of game time to even get the torch there in the end, because every single time I went for it it would rain.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
This is the goddamn dumbest thing ive ever heard
Your face :V

Gameplay has highs and lows just as storytelling. The difference is the implimentation. The rain in BotW isn't frustrating because it's poorly designed, it was designed to be frustrating so you were forced to adapt to different tactics.

I'm sorry you are so dull to not realise that things outside of pure enjoyment and fun can add to the greater experience.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
It made the world feel more immersive to me. I even set up a campfire under a cliff so I could sleep through the rain. I understood then why they decided to implement the rain mechanic.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate when it rains when I'm trying to talk a walk outside and go mountain climbing, nature please nerf

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because I don't think every element in a game should have to benefit the player. It's realistic.

Maybe it would be nice if rain had some kind of benefit that would offset the decrease in mobility though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There are a couple areas where it makes for a fun puzzle element... But random? Pain in the ass at times.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it, but I like what it achieved- it made Link feel vulnerable, and the topography of the world as something genuinely dangerous. It's not exactly difficult to wait a couple of minutes for the rain to stop. Similarly, wanting to light a bonfire but not being able to because it's raining is annoying, but I still like it being there.

It's annoying to take damage in a video game- doesn't mean I want to be invincible.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the overlap of people that like the rain in BotW and the people that like the deliberate animations of RDR2?

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because I don't think every element in a game should have to benefit the player. It's realistic.

Maybe it would be nice if rain had some kind of benefit that would offset the decrease in mobility though.
I believe if its thundering stealth is easier to do as in you can be louder without being noticed. It also gives electrical weapons a huge buff. In addition to that if enemies have steel swords/bows/spears they can be struck by lightning as well. Its not just negative to the player.

Unless you mean regarding traversal. Which in that case, yes. It just hurts us, the player. Lol

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
It's annoying but part of the game's charm is that you're trying to survive in a dangerous environment and the weather is a very important part of that.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it.

-It muffles noise and reduces vision for enemies, making stealth stronger
-Different times of resources are available
-If it storms you can use metal against enemies
-It buffs electrical attacks with AoE
-You can totally climb in rain, it's not that hard. "you can't climb in rain" is a myth that got so widespread that tons of people never bothered to experiment and figure it out because they assumed it was impossible. There's even alternate dialogue for getting into Zora's Domain without passing Sidon at the entrance, which IIRC requires at least some rain climbing in spots to do.

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah it baffled me that it rained almost every day. As you say it completely ruins the pacing and traversal of the game because you just stand there and wait for it to turn around. There's no tool or anything to use when there is rain so all it does is to bring downtime to your progress. I absolutely hated it. As soon as it started I just pulled up my phone and had a playlist of youtube videos ready for me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying, but it's not the only deliberately annoying mechanic to be put into a game in service of itself. And yeah, I like it. It adds another layer to the open world, another obstacle to solve.