• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basically someone came up with the idea "wouldn't it be cool if you slipped a bit when it rained", which it would/is. A little animation every few seconds would've been a nice touch. But as OP said, they got WAAAYY carried away with it and basically nullified a core mechanic of the game for huge stretches of play time. It was an awful, awful decision.

You can argue one way or the other about weapon degradation, lack of music, etc, the game has a lot of divisive aspects. But almost completely nerfing a core mechanic for long stretches of time just to accentuate a weather effect was such a bad call, I can't believe it made it through testing.

They could've easily patched once the flood of complaints surfaced, just reduce the slipping by 50% or something. I don't dislike the idea, it was just implemented really badly.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I like it because it makes me rethink how I have to get around the environment at times. However, they should have added equipment or allowed your equipment to be upgrade to get rid of the effect or lessen it. I think that would have solved a lot of people's issues with the rain. It didn't bother me that much, but I don't dismiss people's complaints about it either.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Really terrible comparison imo. The enemies don't prohibit your life. The rain prohibits your climbing. Unless I'm misinformed about how to tackle the rain, which I might be. Played for 35h and didn't come across a better solution but I may have missed some gear or item.
The ethos of the game is improvisation. You're presented with some problem and you've got to develop solutions on the fly. There are quite a few ways to confront rain. It's telling that the folks who seem to most dislike it are the ones who are complaining that they've got to wait it out.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Up 3 "hyups" + Jump this will push you a decent bit forward and the slid afterwards will be less than the progress you made. You'll make it wherever you were going unless your stamina is the bottleneck.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a problem with how frequently it rained. I swear about a quarter of my playtime was spent in the rain. It was unbelievable and just not fun at times.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It always seems like BotW's "controversial" mechanics are actually just cases of some players being unwilling/unable to think outside the box.

Weapons breaking? Get creative! Rain preventing progress? Get creative!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The ethos of the game is improvisation. You're presented with some problem and you've got to develop solutions on the fly. There are quite a few ways to confront rain. It's telling that the folks who seem to most dislike it are the ones who are complaining that they've got to wait it out.

I'm misinformed for sure then. What were the best ways to deal with the rain? (Besides going around or finding another way)

It was always a pain in the ass for me, haha.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I disliked it. If I recall correctly, I believe there's a way to climb even when it's raining. Maybe with an item or gear.

As far as I remember it's basically just wear the climbing gear and have the slide pattern down. Iirc it's four grabs then jump and then link slides but you still gain hight.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I loved that it made you have to walk to Zora's domain. Made it feel very impressive.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I remember it's basically just wear the climbing gear and have the slide pattern down. Iirc it's four grabs then jump and then link slides but you still gain hight.
No, I'm pretty sure the upgraded set bonus for the climbing gear will counter the rain.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't experienced this yet, but I love mechanics like this. Much more immersive.
Same here. I have beat the game, and I loved trying to find shelter in thunder storms, screwing around with cryosis, and falling down wet mountain sides. Climbing up a wet mountain side with zero issues is just odd to me.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
As others have said, the idea of traversal being different/harder in rainy conditions is fine. The slipping mechanic is not though. It feels too much like punishment and none of the associated gameplay is fun anymore. Combat in the rain on the other hand is great!

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the argument that it nullifies and hurt the core mechanic of exploration. The game gives many different routes to get to almost any location in the game. The few exceptions would be a large cliff with a shrine on it but you can either time your climbing and jump well if you have enough stamina or just use a campfire. Climbing isn't the sole option for exploration.
"Terrible design decision" is such a horrifically bad take that it's comical.
A lot of people just love to throw around "terrible game design" for something they don't like or don't want to take the time to understand.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the argument that it nullifies and hurt the core mechanic of exploration. The game gives many different routes to get to almost any location in the game. The few exceptions would be a large cliff with a shrine on it but you can either time your climbing and jump well if you have enough stamina or just use a campfire. Climbing isn't the sole option for exploration.
A lot of people just love to throw around "terrible game design" for something they don't like or don't want to take the time to understand.
There's also Revali's gale

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. For a game completely based around climbing and such, having a mechanic who's sole purpose is to punish you for doing so is crazy kinds of stupid.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
It was a neat idea handled really poorly. Hope it's rebalanced in the sequel to be less of a blatant waste of the players time.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be OK with it if climbing was somewhat slowed down or the stamina cost would somewhat increase when climbing in the rain. It's annoying as it is.

And there's way too much lightning when it storms.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I like rain only when I have a fire going inside a little nook somewhere. The vibes are so chill and cozy.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
sounds like people in this thread spent half the game climbing lol
I'd tend to go around and up a mountain rather than scale the cliffside

Jun 21, 2018
I like it. I usually take it as a challenge when the rain start while Link is climbing. I just have to do it and feel more motivated to plan the climb.

LajNimajwal

Jul 16, 2019
I've played close to 500 hours of this game through a regular and a master mode playthrough, so I have a lot of experience with the rain. I can see why some would not like it, but so many of those people obviously didn't take any time to figure out how to get around it either and act like it's some game-destroying mechanic. Despite rain, I could find myself getting up almost any place I wanted to. You have to just learn a few patterns to maximize climbing which will have you gaining elevation despite the slip, and there's so many inconspicuous angles and outcrops on almost every steep incline in the game where you can briefly stop climbing, even just for one second, and gain massive amounts of stamina back. I love the rain, it's atmospheric, creates the need for more creativity and problem-solving, same as the weapon system which many people couldn't get a grip on either. Way too many people just want to finish stuff though than enjoy it and overcome it. That being said, I'd gladly welcome later-game gear that completely nullified the effect of rain on climbing for those that need or want it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think in 180 hours of gameplay the rain mechanics stopped me from climbing where I wanted less than 10 times.

It was annoying when it happened. Especially if it was some 3 day storm. But for my playthrough at least it was not something that happened much.

Otherwise on the plains and in other environments I liked the changing weather.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It didn't bother me. I just had to find a different path sometimes. And this is coming from someone who hated tons of the tedious mechanics in RDR 2.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's a pretty cool mechanic. Having to take off your metal equipment whenever a storm is approaching and hope that lightning doesn't strike near you to cause some big damage is a really cool experience.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
A bit inconveniencing during my play through when it mattered but otherwise a promising mechanic the sequel should flesh out even more.
The standard reaction to rain seems to wait it out and that's a waste.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I had an issue in that the forecast icon would sometimes be wrong. It would say that it should be sunny sometimes and all of a sudden start raining.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't think you are supposed to like them or enjoyment.

I hated it but loved when I found a way around them. When I couldn't find a way around I waited it out or found something else to do.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm misinformed for sure then. What were the best ways to deal with the rain? (Besides going around or finding another way)

It was always a pain in the ass for me, haha.
Many cliff faces have overhangs where the rain can't reach you, and you can often make progress by climbing underneath these and leaping onto the top once you get high enough. If the ground is level enough you should be able to make a campfire under these outcroppings as well, and you can choose to wait out the storm once it's lit. Speed elixirs, stamina elixirs, and climbing gear go a long way to aiding in rain climbs. Revali's Gale has been brought up already but once you have it, rain is virtually a non-issue. You may rarely be blocked by rainfall. I played the game for nearly 300 hours and there were maybe 3 times I felt I needed to wait out a storm. Every other time I was able to either find a way up or around to wherever I was headed. Even short hops between inclines was enough to make it up good-sized mountains during rain. Sometimes I used octo-balloons to raise platforms high enough for me to leap off of, to climb to safe areas. It's a fun mechanic. Thunderstorms give you the opportunity to turn the elements against your enemies. All rain types give you penalty-free shield surfing. You're sometimes forced to re-think your navigation or switch your equipment, but that's only a good thing as far as I'm concerned. We play these games to overcome challenges that are presented to us. Developing on-the-fly solutions and scrapping through dynamic problems are BotW's greatest strength.

I wonder how methods of overcoming rain could be presented without spoiling the experience. In BotW, you experiment to find solutions. It resonates so much with me because it doesn't tell how to solve the puzzles it throws. You develop your own ad hoc solutions to whatever situation presents itself. If it were to more explicitly say "here is how you can bypass this obstacle," I think it would lose much of what makes it special.

It seems like there is a definite "wrong" way to play, though. And that's a shame. Waiting out rain is the worst solution to the problem. But it's also the most obvious. Likewise for avoiding broken weapons: many players choose to avoid combat, because they don't want to lose supplies. But the only way to get better supplies, and to increase the durability of drops, is to expend supplies and engage in combat. For those who play the "right" way, these systems become obvious hours in. But those who choose to play conservatively never even get the chance to discover they're doing something wrong. They just slog through. Nothing improves for them because novel discoveries can't be made. The game gives you the freedom to ignore its systems, which results in an inscrutable experience if a player doesn't push far enough in the right direction.

The thing is, that seems like an unavoidable consequence of being hands-off. It's a carefully crafted experience, and the development team must have known the risk involved with allowing the player to miss so much. But I think they made the right decision. The critical and fan reception was overwhelmingly positive, and it's sold so well that I'm confident in saying most agree.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Annoying at times but overall I liked it's presence. It added an additional puzzle solving element to the game, most obvious during your treks through the area where it rains continuously until you reach Kass and reveal the hidden shrine via lightning.

Edit: and yeah added a lot to getting to Zoras Domain.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the dumbest part of the game and I hope they fix it in the sequel. Even "rain gear" would help a ton.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Electric AOE is cool, especially when you can become immune to lightning and wear a bunch of metal stuff. Paired with Urbosa's Fury, Silver Lynels melt.

There's also a fun sequence on the way to Zora's Domain the first time that's basically a linear shooter sequence because you can't climb around the corridor they put you in with ranged enemies. I'm pretty sure they force rain there to make you fight through it.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I like it. The issue I have with it is the frequency of the rain and Link's refusal to obtain anything beyond free climbing gear. If it starts when I'm going to climb I usually fast travel some where and fo something else

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The arbitrary nature of it is the most frustrating part. Whenever it rains, its just the game telling me I cant do something I normally would be able to do.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I appreciate when developers implement features that don't appeal to the player's power fantasy when the game is otherwise full of convenience. I think there would've been a better way to have rain negatively impact climbing though than to make you both slide down and also lose stamina. It should've just sped up the stamina usage and have some animation to indicate how slippery it is.

Combini

Alt-account
Jul 19, 2019
It's less about the rain as an obstacle, and more as a spontaneous element that makes the world alive.

I wouldn't have Breath of the Wild any other way.